PEx Highlights

Wake Me Up When You Show Me Your Teeths!

In this week's Show Me Your Teeths!, the ladies talk about the -ber months, the upcoming Bench Fashion Show and the Cosmo Bachelor Bash.

read more

Watch 'The Legend Ends' Trailer!

Check out the trailer of the final instalment of the Rurouni Kenshin series, 'The Legend Ends.'

read more

PHOTOS: UE Keep Final Four Dream Alive

Despite not fielding in Roi Sumang, the UE Red Warriors managed to get a 64-55 win over the NU Bulldogs.

read more

FIBA FEATURE: Do We Stand a Chance?

Do we really have a shot to make it through? JPM weighs in on the the odds of Gilas Pilipinas in the FIBA World Cup.

read more

Calling All Travel Bloggers!

Wanna get featured in PEx-Travel? Share with us your travel blogs and have your entries promoted around PinoyExchange!

read more

MOVIE REVIEW: The Giver

Very promising, but tries too hard to fit in the mold of the Hunger Games/Divergent series.

read more

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Jay,

    Since fan ka rin lang naman ni "Flint", sino pa kaya sa atin ang makaka recall na si Fernado "Jojo" de Guzman ay:

    1. Nag usual no. 15 na uniform number ng mid season addition sa Tefilin nuong 1st year nila sa PBA nuong 1980 at nag no. 20 the following year.
    2. Member ng 1974 Asian Youth Champion RP Youth team coached by Nilo Verona. One thing notable about that team is that yung mga bankuan na MICAA players ay mga magagaling pala pag sila-silang mga bata ang magkakasama. Jojo and Romy Cabading of Manilabank. Ely Capacio and Greg Gozum of YCO, Freddie Hubalde, Bernie Fabiosa, and Jesus Sta. Maria of Crispa, Florendo Ritualo, Sr. and Danny Pribhdas of CFC. Chingching Marcelino of Adamson was captain ball of the team and other members included Boy Mora of San Sebastian College and Giovanni Arceo of UST.

    Tembong Melencio played for Concepcion Industries Incorporated (or CII as sewn at the back of their shoerts). Kasabay ng pagdisband ng Yutivo Opels ang Meralco kaya kakampi ni Tembong bigla si Jimmy Mariano at Boy Marquez at ang resident superstatr ng CII na si Jet Dungo. It was while in Concepcion, he represented the Philippines in the 1972 Olympics and the 1973 ABC where we ended up as champions. Nagsuntukan din sila ni Johnny Revilla habang nasa CII si Tembong.

    Tell you about Crispa's depth in those days. Freddie Hubalde was part of the original Crispa line up that went winless before the PBA debuts of Atoy, Philip and Bogs near the end of the first round of the 1975 first conference. They even wore Crispa Style 400s T-shirsts in one of those games before Atoy and company's arrival. I was not happy then because Atoy and company's first game was against Tanduay. Tanduay was an also-ran at that time and it was quite unfortunate that the rare time that they had a good chance to win, they ended up as Atoy and company's first victims. The score 122 to 100 if my memoruy is right.

    Freddie got the opportunity to show his developments as a player when Bogs Adornado got injured in the 1976 2nd conference after coming off an MVP stint in the All Filipino 1st conference. This was where Freddie was on a roll. Becoming the MVP in 1977 and a PBA Mythical first five in 1978.

  2. #22
    Yes, I recall De Guzman's jersey number 15. I don't recall the 20 that much though I trust you're correct with the recollection. What I don't understand is why De Guzman was never part of any national team from 1975 to 1979. The other players of the same position that cracked the national team were Legaspi, Lobo, Lauchengco, Jimmy Manansala, among others. And to think that De Guzman was loyal to Manilabank, owned by the Puyats where Lito was the FIBA and BAP president back then.

    Hubalde's rise was also attributed to Rudy Soriano's injury of 1976. Crispa's #3 position back then was loaded with Adornado, Soriano and Hubalde that Soriano had to be utilized as #4 at times when Cezar was playing #5, since Guidaben was still gangling back then. Had Soriano been injured-free in 1977, he would have been the logical pick at #3 with Hubalde spelling him. The difference though was Hubalde was more versatile than Soriano as the former not only was adept at slashing the interior but was also a shooting threat from the outside.

    Johnny Revilla played for only a couple of conferences with Crispa in the pros before moving to Great Taste Coffee. Revilla was another player that could have been a star had he been with another team. Oldtimers recall that Revilla was such a superstar in UE that he was the Warriors' heir apparent to the Big J. He had his moments with Crispa but since Co was the star shooting guard, Baby Dalupan had no choice but to bench Revilla. Another gem of a talent back with Crispa then was Rey Franco, but never got to relive his glorious amateur days.

  3. #23
    Jay,

    Jojo de Guzman was recruited by Tefilin while he was staying in the USA. That was why he was out of the local basketball scene anywhere from 1977 up to 1980. Since we are talking somewhat of Manilabank, I can recall another mainstay by the name of Manny Chan who wore a thin mustache and wore jersey number 6.

    Speaking of Crispa, I believe that Johnny Revilla's beginning of the end with his Crispa tenure in the PBA was when he confronted his coach Baby Dalupan who was coaching the other side in the Ovaltine yellow versus Ovaltine Brown All star series with his godson Sonny Jaworski as one of his players. Revilla and Jaworski had a physical altercation in the first half and Johnny angrily accosted and confronted Baby Dalupan in the dugout during halftime.

    It is true that Rey Franco had a stellar career in the amateur ranks whose star never rose in the PBA. When my brother and I became basketball fanatics in 1971, he was the team captain of the UE Warriors along with Legazpi (yung kuya ni Emer), Dungo (who died of cancer and was Jet Dungo's younger brother) and Jimmy Reynoso (youngest nina Big Boy at Tino, played for Crispa in the amateurs). He was also the team captain of the 1972 RP Youth team with Mike Bilbao as his co-captain. He later joined Johnny Revilla at Great Taste where he donned uniform no. 20, instead of the no. 19 he wore at Crispa.

    One notable thing he did in the PBA was kicking Mon Fernandez in the head while Fernandez was on the lying near the free throw elbow area and writhing in pain. While other players were huddled around Fernandez, Franco kicked Fernandez's head on the sly but it was noticed by the Fernandez's teammates who angrily confronted Franco until cooler heads prevailed.

    The young generation will no longer experience the thrill of watching Ray Franco playing for UE in the UAAP in the early afternoon at the old Channel 11 only to find him later playing for Crispa in the MICAAQ in the late evening at the old Channel 4. The same was true for Valerio delos Santos (FEU then YCO, same day), Bogs Adornado (UST, Crispa), Ompong Segura (Adamson, Yutivo) and Reynaldo Sigua (NU, Crispa). NCAA does not allow its players to play for other teams while the season is ongoing.

    Regarding Crispa's depth, this was the first time I saw a national team which is a selection of other teams with six of its members on it. The 1974 Asian Games national team featured six Redmanizers
    (#5. Guidaben, #6. Co, #9. Revilla, #11. Adornado, #12. Cezar and #13. Soriano) and can play an entire five with a reserve to boot.

    It was later duplicated by San Miguel in the 1994 Asian Games
    (#5. Franz Pumaren #6. Agustin, #8. Caidic, #10. Teng, #11. Polistico, # 14. Calma) but that was not the original intention of that team.

    The original intention was to field an entire team such as the NCC teams or the Athletes in Action which represented the USA in the 1978 World Basketball. Since San Miguel won the 1994 PBA All Filipino conference, they were chosen to represent the Philippine sin the Asiad.

    Patrimonio, Abarrientos, Codinera and Evangelista along with amateur players Aquino and Duremdes were just mere after-thoughts after itwas deemed that the national team would be stronger with reinforcements.

    Had the selection process been the usual one composed of de facto all star teams, I don't think Adriano Polistico would have made that national team.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    Yes, I recall De Guzman's jersey number 15. I don't recall the 20 that much though I trust you're correct with the recollection. What I don't understand is why De Guzman was never part of any national team from 1975 to 1979. The other players of the same position that cracked the national team were Legaspi, Lobo, Lauchengco, Jimmy Manansala, among others. And to think that De Guzman was loyal to Manilabank, owned by the Puyats where Lito was the FIBA and BAP president back then.

    Hubalde's rise was also attributed to Rudy Soriano's injury of 1976. Crispa's #3 position back then was loaded with Adornado, Soriano and Hubalde that Soriano had to be utilized as #4 at times when Cezar was playing #5, since Guidaben was still gangling back then. Had Soriano been injured-free in 1977, he would have been the logical pick at #3 with Hubalde spelling him. The difference though was Hubalde was more versatile than Soriano as the former not only was adept at slashing the interior but was also a shooting threat from the outside.

    Johnny Revilla played for only a couple of conferences with Crispa in the pros before moving to Great Taste Coffee. Revilla was another player that could have been a star had he been with another team. Oldtimers recall that Revilla was such a superstar in UE that he was the Warriors' heir apparent to the Big J. He had his moments with Crispa but since Co was the star shooting guard, Baby Dalupan had no choice but to bench Revilla. Another gem of a talent back with Crispa then was Rey Franco, but never got to relive his glorious amateur days.
    JPM,

    How good was RENATO LOBO? I was not born yet during the MICAA days kasi. What position does he play? IF compared to current pba or nba player, who will he resemble?

    I just moved in to chicago last year. I did not have any info about him, but she was my wife's distant lolo pala. I met him last year's family thanksgiving and christmas party. Mabait sya.

    He's a little skinny so I thought they were just playing with me that he used to be a pro before. However, when I was in the dentist yesterday, I saw his name in one of the Filipino newspapers that will be playing alongside abet guidaben, abe king, arnaiz, topex robinson and saldana in jun18 against an local team for a PBA veteran all star exhibition.

    Kaya gulat ako. kasi kilala ko **** sila guidaben, abe king and topex robinson especially (dahil kapanahunan ko to).

  5. #25

    Etok Lobo

    Renato "Etok" Lobo was a former FEU Tamaraw who was known for his long range shooting. His career was intertwined with that of Anthony Dasalla from the collegiate ranks up to the PBA because both were proteges of Arturo "Turing" Valenzona.

    Along with Dasalla, Etok was also a member of the 1977 RP Youth team captained by Matthew "Fritz" Gaston" along with other team members like Steve Watson, Bernardo "Joy" Carpio, Alex Clarino. He and Dasalla both played for the Turing Valenzona coached Solid Mills in the MICAA.

    His PBA career ended prematurely when he suffered a knee injury while playing for San Miguel (?).

  6. #26
    Renato "Etok" Lobo was definitely a promising talent back then SR. He was an outstanding amateur talent, honed by no less than crack amateur coach Arturo "Turo" Valenzona. He teamed up with center Anthony "Tony" Dasalla to give FEU the 1976 UAAP title. He was also the youth team's top scorer in the 1977 Asian Youth won by the Philippines.

    Lobo was built like the typical shooter of the 60's and 70's - stocky, pigeon-chested, but deceptive when it came to speed and quickness. Lobo had a quick jumper that allowed him to shoot right away after a pick is provided and avoid his defender. It was unfortunate that the 3-point shot wasn't around back then, for Lobo would have sizzled from afar. His body may be compared with other barrel-chested shooters like Jun Papa, Botchok Delos Santos, Estoy Estrada, Amang Ladores, etc. In today's game, he may resemble the physical features of Ronjay Buenafe.

    Lobo also powered Solid Mills to the MICAA championship of 1976 and 1977, averaging more than 20 ppg. The textile firm (a sister company of U/Tex) was one of the more dominating teams in the MICAA back then, and had a very solid rivalry with MAN Diesel / Frigidaire (a sister team of Toyota), that featured the likes of Emer Legaspi, Pablo Javier, Pol Herrera, Bokyo Lauchengco, etc. Lobo and Dasalla joined their mother team U/Tex in 1977 as rookies but neither was able to display the same dominance they showed in the MICAA.

    Both Lobo and Dasalla moved to San Miguel with Tommy Manotoc in the 1982 season. Manotoc was their first PBA coach in 1977 and became loyal to him that they joined the presidential son-in-law at San Miguel when he was taken by the Beermen.

  7. #27

    Question YCO Team Photo

    Hi everyone,

    Just found this in my family album collection and I'm hoping some of you might be able to name a few of them. I know Freddie Webb and Mike Bilbao are in the front row

    Can anyone guess what year this might have been taken? Anyway, enjoy and I'm looking forward to your responses.


  8. #28

    Happy ^^,

    Quote Originally Posted by StJames View Post
    My only recollection of MICAA was me getting pissed after Apcor defeated Yco in the championships. My dad was a big Yco fan so I cheered with him. Ramon Cruz I think was the hero of that game. That probably was also the time the Yco dynasty crumbled although MICAA folded up after a year. Apcor was an up & coming team with some of the best young players suiting up for them: Rey Lazaro, Rad Pasco, Terry & Marte Saldana, Zaldy Latoza, Bay Cristobal & Hector Calma later on.


    im happy to see that my father was one of the best young players ...sadly i've never saw him play in PBA

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Latoza View Post
    im happy to see that my father was one of the best young players ...sadly i've never saw him play in PBA
    Hey Lucky...your father, Zaldy, was one of my favorite amateur players back in the late 70's. He played for Trinity College Stallions in the NCAA and was the star player for his collegiate team. Sad to say though, the Stallions weren't exactly powerhouses in the NCAA as they normally found themselves languishing in the cellar.

    But this didn't stop coaches from taking a closer look at your father. Turo Valenzona did take notice, took him in to play for the 1979 RP Youth team that played in Sao Paulo, Brazil for the World Youth Basketball Tournament. When businessman Herminio Disini, Jr. put up a basketball team and named it APCOR Financiers, Zaldy was chosen by APCOR head coach Valenzona to join the team. He played alongside Marte Saldana, Alex Clarino, Hector Calma, Bay Cristobal, Mon Cruz, Yoyoy Villamin, Padim Israel, Jerry Samlani, Rey Lazaro, Rad Pasco and Terry Saldana. That APCOR team established itself as the premier amateur basketball team in the Philippines from 1980 to 1981, supplanting perennial favorites YCO Painters, Solid Mills Denim Makers, and MAN Diesel.

    Zaldy Latoza later on played for Gilbey's Gin under Valenzona in the PBA, I believe starting in 1982 or 1983. He moved to Tanduay in the 1985 or 1986 season as Valenzona was replaced by Robert Jaworski, Sr. as head coach of the Gins (already called Ginebra by then). Your dad was known for his undergoal exploits, capable of extricating himself from a tight fix inside and twist in the air for a reverse layup. The Greatest Games (shown on Destiny Cable 82 or 83 and Cablelink 33) once featured a game between Tanduay and Gilbey's Gin in 1983 where we saw your father strutting his stuff. A true marvel to watch!

  10. #30
    Jay, any more classic games for Pinoy Extreme? Most of the games being aired now are the ones first shown over Viva TV and the old ABC Sports.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    Hey Lucky...your father, Zaldy, was one of my favorite amateur players back in the late 70's. He played for Trinity College Stallions in the NCAA and was the star player for his collegiate team. Sad to say though, the Stallions weren't exactly powerhouses in the NCAA as they normally found themselves languishing in the cellar.

    But this didn't stop coaches from taking a closer look at your father. Turo Valenzona did take notice, took him in to play for the 1979 RP Youth team that played in Sao Paulo, Brazil for the World Youth Basketball Tournament. When businessman Herminio Disini, Jr. put up a basketball team and named it APCOR Financiers, Zaldy was chosen by APCOR head coach Valenzona to join the team. He played alongside Marte Saldana, Alex Clarino, Hector Calma, Bay Cristobal, Mon Cruz, Yoyoy Villamin, Padim Israel, Jerry Samlani, Rey Lazaro, Rad Pasco and Terry Saldana. That APCOR team established itself as the premier amateur basketball team in the Philippines from 1980 to 1981, supplanting perennial favorites YCO Painters, Solid Mills Denim Makers, and MAN Diesel.

    Zaldy Latoza later on played for Gilbey's Gin under Valenzona in the PBA, I believe starting in 1982 or 1983. He moved to Tanduay in the 1985 or 1986 season as Valenzona was replaced by Robert Jaworski, Sr. as head coach of the Gins (already called Ginebra by then). Your dad was known for his undergoal exploits, capable of extricating himself from a tight fix inside and twist in the air for a reverse layup. The Greatest Games (shown on Destiny Cable 82 or 83 and Cablelink 33) once featured a game between Tanduay and Gilbey's Gin in 1983 where we saw your father strutting his stuff. A true marvel to watch!
    IIRC, Zaldy Latoza was part of the Army Jungle Fighters that won the 3rd conference of the PABL in 1985 vs Mama's Love. This team was coached by the late Charlie Badion.

    Latoza was the main man of the Jungle Fighters in offense and was very instrumental in winning that conference.

    Latoza's performance here merited a second look from the PBA and thereafter, in 1986, suited for one more conference for Anejo/Ginebra.

    Kung di ako nagkakamali, the #10 guy below is Latoza. Forgive me if mali, but that cover celebrated the Jungle Fighters championship.

    http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/a...01134859PM.jpg

    Si Latoza ba yung #23 in Tanduay uniform?

    http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/a...urrent%3Dd.jpg

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    Hey Lucky...your father, Zaldy, was one of my favorite amateur players back in the late 70's. He played for Trinity College Stallions in the NCAA and was the star player for his collegiate team. Sad to say though, the Stallions weren't exactly powerhouses in the NCAA as they normally found themselves languishing in the cellar.

    But this didn't stop coaches from taking a closer look at your father. Turo Valenzona did take notice, took him in to play for the 1979 RP Youth team that played in Sao Paulo, Brazil for the World Youth Basketball Tournament. When businessman Herminio Disini, Jr. put up a basketball team and named it APCOR Financiers, Zaldy was chosen by APCOR head coach Valenzona to join the team. He played alongside Marte Saldana, Alex Clarino, Hector Calma, Bay Cristobal, Mon Cruz, Yoyoy Villamin, Padim Israel, Jerry Samlani, Rey Lazaro, Rad Pasco and Terry Saldana. That APCOR team established itself as the premier amateur basketball team in the Philippines from 1980 to 1981, supplanting perennial favorites YCO Painters, Solid Mills Denim Makers, and MAN Diesel.

    Zaldy Latoza later on played for Gilbey's Gin under Valenzona in the PBA, I believe starting in 1982 or 1983. He moved to Tanduay in the 1985 or 1986 season as Valenzona was replaced by Robert Jaworski, Sr. as head coach of the Gins (already called Ginebra by then). Your dad was known for his undergoal exploits, capable of extricating himself from a tight fix inside and twist in the air for a reverse layup. The Greatest Games (shown on Destiny Cable 82 or 83 and Cablelink 33) once featured a game between Tanduay and Gilbey's Gin in 1983 where we saw your father strutting his stuff. A true marvel to watch!
    Wow .. ..do you have a link where i could watch old pba games???.... i really want to see how my dad use to play basket ball

  13. #33
    meron pa poh bang buhay na link na pde mapanuoran ng old basketball games???...pa link nmn poh ^^,
    thx

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Latoza View Post
    Wow .. ..do you have a link where i could watch old pba games???.... i really want to see how my dad use to play basket ball

    here's your dad Zaldy Latoza playing first five for Tanduay(against Toyota) in 1982. enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYQrR...eature=related

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmalkmus View Post
    here's your dad Zaldy Latoza playing first five for Tanduay(against Toyota) in 1982. enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYQrR...eature=related
    thanks for the link ^^, though i cant see his face clearly (:

  16. Advertisement

  17. #36
    Cheap Executive Orderly djaynitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    High in the sky
    MICAA is synonymous with the basketbrawl days of yore.

    Anyone already alive when Alberto "Big Boy" Reynoso and Robert "The Big J" Jaworski were SUSPENDED FOR LIFE for chasing and punching two refs at a Meralco-Crispa game in '71? This is the reason why the two legends did not represent the Philippines at the '72 Munich Olympics in (then West) Germany - the last time the Philippines basketball team played in the Olympics.

    --sent from my HTC Cha Cha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Advertisement


Hot Topics

GILAS:

Gallant Gilas Pilipinas drops to 0-3 after 85-81 defeat vs Argentina

Gallant Gilas Pilipinas drops to 0-3 after 85-81 defeat vs Argentina

read more
SHOWBIZ:

Veteran actor Mark Gil passes away at 52

Veteran actor Mark Gil passes away at 52

read more
MUSIC:

Eraserheads to release two new songs

Eraserheads to release two new songs

read more
SPORTS:

Philippine Army crowned V-League Open Conference champions

Philippine Army crowned V-League Open Conference champions

read more
UAAP:

Red Warriors keep Final Four dream alive with 64-55 win over Bulldogs

Red Warriors keep Final Four dream alive with 64-55 win over Bulldogs

read more
CHIT CHAT:

Anong masasabi mo sa Anti-Selfie Bill?

Anong masasabi mo sa Anti-Selfie Bill?

read more

Advertisement