PEx Highlights

Solo Backpackers: Get Up and Go!

Planning to escape the rigors of the metro soon? Join the Solo Backpackers thread and get insights and tips from fellow PExers about traveling alone!

read more

PHOTOS: Rain or Shine Rallies Past Blackwater

The Rain or Shine Elasto Painters avoided an upset loss to the Blackwater Elite thanks to a late rally in the 4th quarter, 82-75.

read more

PHOTOS: TNT Dismantle NLEX to Get First Win

The Talk N Text Tropang Texters made quick work of the NLEX Road Warriors, getting their first win of the Phillipine Cup, 103-81.

read more

REVIEW: Fury

Brad Pitt, alongside Shia Labeouf and Logan Lerman, hates Nazis once more, save the scalps.

read more

PBA: Still 'Liga ng Bayan' after 40 Years

We list down ten compelling reasons, on why the PBA has remained relevant to Filipinos today since its inception in 1975.

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by j5bata View Post
    Speaking of jingles, I remember how WLS-FM go with its TOH station id back in the day: Mauuna muna iyung GMA Kapuso jingle tapos sususnod ng station id ng Campus Radio
    'yung unang kapuso jingle na ginamit sa radyo was, of course, that of regine velasquez (kasi 'yun din 'yung unang version na ginamit sa GMA TV).

the first time i heard 'yung version ng the company, meanwhile, was in december 2002 (wherein the jingle was just slightly rearranged para may holiday "feel"), pero condensed (30-second) version lang siya...the GMA radio stations would eventually use that same condensed version--both the "clean (walang "christmas bells" in the background)" and the holiday arrangements--hanggang lumabas 'yung kapuso jingle na binago ang lyrics in '07...

GMA TV would also use the company's resing of the kapuso jingle in full para sa station ID na ipinalalabas nila after sign-on and before sign-off...

Nice! I didn't know The Company made their rendition of a WRocK jingle (although the tune itself was imported from TM Century)
    they probably did one of the WRocK celebrity plugs that went, "why does [artist name] have lite rock on [his/her/their] radio?"...kung saan 'yung artist na "nag-e-endorse" ng station would sing a particular WRocK jingle at the end.

some singers like regine velasquez, martin nievera, joe mari chan, jaya and lea salonga also did the same plug, which the station usually airs during the nighttime/overnight hours...

Quote Originally Posted by pepman View Post
    Speaking of WLS, may nahanap ako na media file galing sa Barangay LS thread:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ac0wjy2cqlc

Salamat Nakanod_16!
    i always loved those really, really short stingers--'yung "the real deal...", "WLS-FM is..." ('yung pinaka-paborito ko), "more info, more music..."...that series of stingers just ran about 5-8 seconds long each, but they sure packed a lot of "punch".

There's also ONE BENILDE! j5bata's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirloin_steak View Post
    matagal na 'yang NBC/92.3 sa guadalupe--jacinta building 2 'yung mismong pangalan ng kinalalagyan nila sa EDSA-makati area.

and yeah, j5 was right about some of the stations that were at the now-abandoned philcomcen building sa ortigas: KC (and sister station DZXL), magic, k-lite, LA (when it was still under a different owner)...sa pagkakatanda ko, even mellow touch and bombo radyo/102.7 star FM also used to have studios there--i suddenly recalled, kasi, na star FM's old request line was 631-6208, while KC's was 631-6268...

when ABS-CBN put together its network of provincial FM stations (some of which were bought from a smaller radio network, i read), ang original na on-air branding for all of them was actually "star radio"--mga mid-'90s na ito, and, incidentally, after all the bombo radyo FM stations were branded "star FM".

pero, 'yun nga, malamang dahil sa may "star FM" na, ABS changed the on-air branding to "ABS-CBN radio" after a while--that brand lasted for a few years, too, before ABS finally changed the brand to M.O.R. ...

the original slogan for their provincial FM network was "heart of the city" (which continued even after the star radio brand became "ABS-CBN radio")...pero they eventually adopted the "for life!" tagline used by WRR101.9 after the manila station started using it--even before the on-air brand became M.O.R. ...

speaking of the "for life" tagline...curiously, RGMA's DWRA-FM/campus radio in baguio city originally used "for life!" as its tagline back in the mid-'90s, long before ABS-CBN did. that was during the same time that LS-FM in manila was using "forever!"...
    I got to listen to two MOR stations up north, MOR Baguio and MOR Laoag. Even up til now, they still use "ABS-CBN Radio" jingles back to back with those containing the words "For Life!".
    Last edited by j5bata; Jun 14, 2009 at 04:11 PM.

they probably did one of the WRocK celebrity plugs that went, "why does [artist name] have lite rock on [his/her/their] radio?"...kung saan 'yung artist na "nag-e-endorse" ng station would sing a particular WRocK jingle at the end.

some singers like regine velasquez, martin nievera, joe mari chan, jaya and lea salonga also did the same plug, which the station usually airs during the nighttime/overnight hours...
    Celebrity Minutes was the name of the segment. The plug that The Company performed was included in their compilation album "The Anthology" which includes the Kapuso jingle, "Most Requested Song of DWFM", "Pinoy Top 20 of DWDM", and the minute-long radio stinger melody (which markmanching posted a few thread pages back)

Dagdag Pa Mga Interviews ng The Company from the cd ng cousin ko. Will Uploaded soon

Notes:
    DWFM is xFM (now)
    DWDM is 95.5 DM or DM 95.5

Quote Originally Posted by markmanching View Post
    Dagdag Pa Mga Interviews ng The Company from the cd ng cousin ko. Will Uploaded soon

Notes:
    DWFM is xFM (now)
    DWDM is 95.5 DM or DM 95.5
    Looking forward to it

One of my fondest memories of KCFM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04rxO6pX5Hg

Actually back then, I never really knew the name of the station where I first heard "We Are Family" but the song stuck to me as my only memory of the old KC which is sort of a good thing considering that I was probably in my pre-school years when they played that song.

Did KC made their own rendition of the song o kumuha lang sila ng existing rendition ng kanta?

i always loved those really, really short stingers--'yung "the real deal...", "WLS-FM is..." ('yung pinaka-paborito ko), "more info, more music..."...that series of stingers just ran about 5-8 seconds long each, but they sure packed a lot of "punch".
    yeah! it's way better than "Barangay LS, nanny sevin poyn one, ahhh yos!"

---------

AFAIK, KC did their own rendition and changed some words. I think the line "..sisters and me" from the original song, were changed just to fit in their callsign, DWKC.

Then speaking of KC, I saw Andrew E in a movie, entitled, Andrew Ford Medina watching then DJ Mike Enriquez in DWKC, rapping then taking an alcoholic drink.

Ah...

Another rather rusty memory. Not sure if it's from KC rin pero naalala ko na may plug noon ang isang certain station na ito as part of its imaging campaign of sorts. The plug itself is a montage of recorded spiels of DJ's reading pabati messages from listeners. I can't really tell if the montage includes some recorded phone conversations between the DJ's and the listeners.

I have three stations in mind: KC, Kool, and DM 955.

This one a not so rusty radio memory and I may have already mentioned this one in this thread:

Disco Rewind
    -I believe at the most part, it was a segment composed 90's dance songs aired during WRR's Good Afternoon For Life!

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one

Celebrity Minutes was the name of the segment. The plug that The Company performed was included in their compilation album "The Anthology" which includes the Kapuso jingle, "Most Requested Song of DWFM", "Pinoy Top 20 of DWDM", and the minute-long radio stinger melody (which markmanching posted a few thread pages back)
    no, iba pa 'yung "celebrity minutes" (originally entitled "half a minute")--those little "interstitials" were mini-Q&As with a featured artista or music artist aired every hour (just before the top of the hour) mula umaga until around mga 6 or 7pm) during the weekends.

'yung plug na binabanggit ko where a certain singer does a rendition of a WRocK jingle was a promo plug that, as i mentioned earlier, the station usually airs during the nighttime hours during ad breaks (in place of actual product ads). those plugs would always start this way: "why does [artist] have lite rock on his/her radio?", tapos konting soundbite from the artist answering the said question, tapos VO uli: "to [artist], and all of you with lite rock on your radio, thank you." sabay intro to the artist singing the jingle: "[artist] for WRocK...".

^Ah...Medyo iba iyung pagkakaintindi ko doon kahapon sa post mo hehehe pasensya na.

Got to listen a recorded segment of Celebrity Minutes yesterday on the Wrock website (Boy Abunda who was busy promoting his album, Love Life), parang ganun nga iyung sinabi mo tungkol doon.

Before the MBC acquisition, I got to listen to one of 96.3 last few CM's, the one with Ogie Alcasid and Regine Velasquez. I remember it quite well, LRF Saturday (July 2008) and I was taking my haircut on a barber shop/salon along Estrada, Manila just beside St.Scho and CSB. The barber shop's radio was set to Wrock.

Vintage article about the return of The Big Mix Kool 106 in a 2002 edition of the defunct Manila Standard

I'm still looking for that elusive Kool 106 logo but for the meantime, here's a couple of logos that Dream FM had so far in its history:

http://www.abc.com.ph/images/dreamfm.gif

http://www.1067dreamfm.com/Home_files/BANNER.png
    ^courtesy of the new Dream Fm website.

Slogan changed from "Manila's Comfortable Choice" to "The Comfortable Choice" to either "Your..."/"My Comfortable Choice" (Basta pantaong panhalip )

The authentic Big Mix of Kool 106 didn't happen in the mid to late 90's or early 2000's. The real sound of what the Big Mix is all about happened when it started in 1992. I will write about this tomorrow and why that station was special and different.

I also have a copy of the old Big Mix logo from a sticker stacked in my files. I'll try to dig it up and scan it...

As promised...

KOOL 106 was conceptualized in late 1991 when ABC 5’s Edward Tan took in George Boone (BM, XB, RT, EI, LS, KISS, ZOO) as the station manager for their FM radio network. With ABC 5 a fledgling organization that was to rise in February 1992, Tan wanted to make sure that his FM radio affiliate would similarly make a dent in the broadcast circles, similar to what he envisioned his TV network to do. They were able to collar the 106.7 mhz in the FM band, then an empty frequency that was not being used.

KOOL 106 was designed to become an adult contemporary station featuring the hits of the 70’s to the 90’s. It was an innovative, bold and creative approach towards radio programming as no pop radio station dared to do so. While there were a couple of stations that may have done this (Mellow Touch, Love Radio, DM 95.5, WRock), these were not pop stations. KOOL was the first to breakthrough with this approach in programming. Other pop radio stations featured a day or two of oldies (Magic, RX, WRock, RT, Mellow Touch) but they never dared to put this in their regular programming interspersed with the current hits.

Skeptics at the start didn’t believe the program would fly. Boone, though, had a different notion. He felt that the peak of radio listenership happened in the 80’s and that those who grew up in the 80’s were looking for a station that will give them the identity they can relate to. Similarly, current pop hits weren’t as big as before, thereby necessitating the inclusion of various oldies in the playlist. Similarly, it was done to synergize the market of ABC 5 since their primary target market were the young adults aged 21 and above. Hence, the BIG MIX tag.

The station armed itself by securing the top veteran jocks who knew their music. Program Director was Bob Novales (The Bug of LS and DMZ), one of the most knowledgeable personalities in the music business. Also with the original cast were Eric Eloriaga (Eric Caine of RT and KISS), D*ckie Aracama (D*ck Reese of KISS and RT), Sonny Zarate (Sonny Zee of RK and KISS) and neophyte Arvi Villamarzo (The Raven). Newscasters were Marivic Sanz (Vicky of ZOO) and Eliza Gotico (fresh graduate from Assumption). The Raven eventually became the merchandising voice over of ABC 5 for a couple of years. A few months after, veteran jocks Joel Domino (KY, RT, CT) and Martin Gill (RT) joined the stable. Newcasters Gidget Alikpala (who became an ABS-CBN newscaster), Candace Geron (who became an ABC 5 and GMA 7 newscaster) and Ultima (later to join RT) were also added in the roster.

KOOL 106 prides itself for a lot of pioneering moves. Here’s a list:

1. First radio station to play 70’s, 80’s and 90’s in their program clock on a daily basis. You get this today with RJ 100 and other radio stations except that the programming was tighter and more solid. Power hits to recurrents to solid gold to real oldies were synergized in the program hourly clock.

2. First radio station to give away huge cash prizes on a daily basis. The promo was called “THE KOOL CASH PAYOFF,” whereby a song is played and is identified as the money song of the day. Once the song is repeated anytime of the day, the 106th caller by the time the song is replayed will win a cash prize anywhere from P1,000 to P10,000.

3. KOOL started in 1992 by breaking out one hit after another. They didn’t rely heavily on Top 40 tracks as practically all other pop radio stations were doing the same. Instead, KOOL relied on resourcefulness and research to play tracks that they feel listeners would appreciate. When they started out in 1992, they were playing AC hits like Love On A Rooftop by Desmond Child, Heal The World by Michael Jackson, If You Ask Me To by Celine Dion, Beauty and the Beast by Peabo Bryson and Celine Dion, Steep by Lauren Christy, Tasmin Archer’s Sleeping Satellite, Silent All These Years by Tori Amos, Vanessa Williams’ Save The Best For Last, I Wonder Why by Curtis Stigers, Mariah Carey’s Don’t Let Go, among others. When they came out with a KOOL 9 at 9, a daily countdown featuring the Top 9 requested songs for the day held every 9PM daily, their first #1 song was Dion’s If You Ask Me To.

4. KOOL 106 was also the first pop station to put out a fixed playlist from sign-on to sign-off, seven days a week. This was unprecedented back then, especially since no pop station ever tried to do the same approach and just gave enough latitude for their DJ’s to work within the programming clock. Unfortunately, doing so also made for scattered programming. KOOL’s playlist, an extensive one, would have been prone for such had the fixed playlist not put in place. The Bug diligently came out with the playlist and was strictly followed by the DJ’s. Hence, the Big Mix actually came out with one of the tightest programming in FM radio history.

5. KOOL eventually came out with various tracks exclusively played at their radio station for at least 2 months, and eventually becoming mainstream hits. Tracks like Orup’s Keys To Your Heart, Everything But The Girl’s Didn’t Know I Was Looking For Love, Side A’s Pangako and Sana Naman, Clair Marlo’s string of hits (starting with Till They Take My Heart Away), Babyface’s When Can I See You and Never Keeping Secrets, became venerable staples in their playlist. And these perhaps were some of the reasons why KOOL established a loyal following early on.

6. Perhaps the most outstanding radio weekly program ever to be produced in FM radio history was “The Thirtysomething Special,” hosted by The Bug. While many thought RX’s Back the 80’s (before Back to the 70’s) program hosted by Chico Garcia was a pioneering effort, it was actually a cheap copycat of The Bug’s 2-hour program aired every Sundays from 8-10PM. Everything about the program was sound – the playlist, the script, the segue, even the merchandising involved. It was also perfect nightcap for those unwinding and preparing for the rigorous week ahead. As I said, I would rank “The Thirtysomething Special” as arguably the finest radio weekly special produced in local radio history.

7. On the 30th minute mark of the program clock, the KOOL KLUB MIX was heard. It was a 6-8 minute feature of three different dance tracks of the 80’s mixed together the way disco DJ’s used to do before. Then radio assistant Marc Gorospe (who eventually became the station manager), a mobile disco DJ himself in the 80’s, was responsible for the mixing. It was ideal for listeners who were in their late to mid-20’s, allowing them to recall their younger years.

There you go. The real history of where the BIG MIX came from. I was quite disappointed that even Wikipedia couldn’t even come out with a historical account of KOOL 106’s history from its inception but I hope this helps. I only recounted the moments from 1992-1994 when KOOL was not only in the Top 10 of the FM surveys, they were also doing very well in the sales department. Eventually, when KOOL 106 became more mainstream (another term for “masa”), they remained in the Top 10 but somehow lost steam in the revenues game. Apparently, ad agencies wanted the old KOOL format when the listeners actually had the purchasing power to buy their products.
    Last edited by Jay P. Mercado; Jun 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM.

^Wow! Thanks Sir Jay for this nice piece about Kool. Never thought Kool in its span of existence had a very rich history.

'yung unang kapuso jingle na ginamit sa radyo was, of course, that of regine velasquez (kasi 'yun din 'yung unang version na ginamit sa GMA TV).

the first time i heard 'yung version ng the company, meanwhile, was in december 2002 (wherein the jingle was just slightly rearranged para may holiday "feel"), pero condensed (30-second) version lang siya...the GMA radio stations would eventually use that same condensed version--both the "clean (walang "christmas bells" in the background)" and the holiday arrangements--hanggang lumabas 'yung kapuso jingle na binago ang lyrics in '07...

GMA TV would also use the company's resing of the kapuso jingle in full para sa station ID na ipinalalabas nila after sign-on and before sign-off...
    Aside from airing the GMA Kapuso jingle and the LS stinger, the station would also play plugs of GMA shows, which the current Barangay LS still does today.

Even DZBB also airs plugs of GMA shows during the station's non-primetime programs like the one of Susan Enriquez and Arnel Ignacio, as well as the ones of Gani Oro and Joel Reyes-Zobel.

^Not just from GMA but also shows from then starting QTV (which actually had more circulation over at LS past November 2005 before the reformat took place in 2007)

While browsing the net earlier, I chaned upon a Facebook group dedicated to 99.5 RT. You guys should definitely check it out

The group also posted the first logo used by RT! Don't know if I could post it here right away so I'm giving the link to the group for you to visit

Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast