Portland Trail Blazers Thread: Rip City Uprising - Page 5 | NBA | PinoyExchange

Page 5 of 74 First ... 4 5 6 15 55 ... Last
    The Lost Gospel Gospel of Judas's Avatar
    the jailblazers/frailblazers can now be called the hailblazers.

First in the division!

Now comes the hard part: a 7-game road stretch out East, 6 of which are against teams above .500. This is the "test" that naysayers are waiting for. A 4-3 record would elate me.

Topping the division made them the 3rd seed in the West. I saw it in the website. I thought they already changed that seeding schema since the both the 60 win Mavs and Spurs met in the 2nd round 2 years back?

Anyway kudos to the Blazers. If in their East trip, New York is one of the teams they would visit, bonus na yon sa kanila.

Kapampangan Pride dakilangungaz's Avatar
    kaya ni ROY yan

Roy for President not Hilary

Outlaw for the win.... goooood! Dejavu, as Travis hits the game winner with 0.9 left in overtime against the Hawks. Their 13-game win streak started when Outlaw hit a buzzer beater against the Grizzlies in Memphis. Another 13-game win streak?

3-3 on the current road trip, wrapping it up against the Hornets before going back home. Not bad.

Man! This is great!
    I thought I'm the only Blazers Fan here in the Philippines!
    Through thick and thin, Blazers forever!

Brandon Roy for All Star!

I know this is kinda late but it strikes me funny that Oden's injury was questioned. I mean, what will anyone gain from this?
    Since Oden came down to a season-ending microfracture knee injury, the Blazers lost a lot of money, million of dollars, because their targeted ticket sales weren't reached. The loss came from the ads, the hype they put coming into the season.
    But lo and behold, the team is playing unselfish and buying into Nate's system resulting to W's. Now, the plan to stay under the radar is busted.

Rip City is really back baby!
    Can't wait for next year and years to come!
    We still got Rudy Fernandez playing in Spain Petteri Koponen in Finland, Josh McRoberts is waiting for his chance as well as Taurean Green, and Oden, nuff said.

Another unbelievable comeback!!!

Roy’s Free Throw Seals Blazers’ Comeback Win against Hawks

Portland 94, Atlanta 93

PORTLAND, Ore., Jan. 27 (AP) -- Brandon Roy didn't want to know if he was running a temperature. Despite feeling feverish, he was going to play anyway.

Good thing for the Trail Blazers.

Roy scored 24 points, including the go-ahead free throw with 2.3 seconds left, and Portland erased a 19-point deficit to beat the Atlanta Hawks 94-93 on Sunday.

"I didn't even ask the doctor,'' Roy said about his fever. "I just said, 'It's fine and I'm going to play.' He said some guys have their best games when they're under the weather so I said I would try and use that tonight, and I was able to have a good fourth quarter.''

The victory snapped a two-game losing streak for Portland, which improved its record at the Rose Garden to 18-4.

The Blazers pulled within 91-87 with 2:24 left on Roy's left-handed layup and free throw. Josh Smith came back for the Hawks with a dunk, but LaMarcus Aldridge's bank shot narrowed it again.

Roy's layup with 1:13 to go made it 93-91, and after Joe Johnson missed a short jumper on the other end, Roy made another layup to tie it.

Under relentless pressure by Roy, Johnson's long jumper with 8.3 seconds left fell short. Then Roy tried a fadeaway jumper, but was fouled by Johnson.

The crowd at the Rose Garden gasped when Roy missed his first free throw. He made the second for a 94-93 lead, and Johnson's jumper as time ran out missed.

Blazers coach Nate McMillan had considered keeping Roy out of the game entirely.

"People wouldn't know it, but he might not have played today,'' McMillan said. "He was running a fever, his eyes were watery and (trainer) Jay Jensen had to give him liquids during the game.''

Johnson led the Hawks with 19 points. Marvin Williams and Smith each had 17.

"It's frustrating, we know we are better than that,'' Williams said. "That's a very good Portland team, I'll tell you that. Very well coached and very good players. But we were up 15 to 20 pretty much the whole game and we didn't take advantage of it and they capitalized.''

Aldridge had 16 points and eight rebounds for the Blazers.

The Blazers were coming off a rare loss at home, where they had won 12 straight. Before the 89-79 loss to Houston on Friday night, Portland had not lost at the Rose Garden since Nov. 28.

The Hawks are just 6-13 on the road, but were coming off a 99-90 victory at Seattle. That snapped a four-game losing streak overall, and a six-game skid on the road.

Atlanta came out looking eager to avenge a loss at home to the Trail Blazers on Monday, when Portland's Travis Outlaw hit a 20-foot jumper with one second left in overtime for the 111-109 win.

The Hawks led by as many as 18 points in the first half, shooting 51 percent from the floor. Anthony Johnson's 3-pointer from the corner made it 49-34, and the Hawks extended the lead when Joe Johnson made a layup and free throw to make it 52-34.

The Hawks led 52-37 at the half, and the Blazers -- who were shooting just 37.5 percent -- were drawing boos from the home crowd.

"I was so disappointed in the first half in how we were playing. These fans fill this building up to see us play hard,'' Roy said. "I was disappointed in our effort and I think in the second half we did a better job of giving them a good show.''

The Blazers appeared to get a momentum shift going into the fourth quarter, when Outlaw's 3-pointer and Channing Frye's long jumper closed the margin to 73-63

The momentum was snuffed when Zaza Pachulia dunked to make it 79-65.

The Blazers managed to keep up, even though Atlanta seemed to have an answer every time they closed in. Portland still trailed by 14 points with 6:47 left in the game.

Outlaw's 3-pointer from the corner narrowed it again for the Blazers, at 83-75, but Marvin Williams answered with a long jumper for the Hawks to put the lead back into double digits.

After Roy made a free throw and a layup to close the game to 85-78, Anthony Johnson made a 3-pointer for the Hawks.

Notes: The Blazers have won 12 of the last 13 games against the Hawks. They had won seven straight home games in the series until last season, when the Hawks won 107-96. ... Atlanta's Salim Stoudamire went to Lake Oswego High School, just outside of Portland. ... The Blazers are 6-0 in games decided three points or less.

Brandon Roy for all star! He deserves it. 20ppg 5rpg 5apg are all star worthy numbers.

Lamarcus aldrigde is kinda disappointing. i hope he develops into a rasheed wallace or a tim thomas at the very least.

Yeah, Roy for all star. But it is a long shot since there are a lot of hopefuls for his position. Let's just hope the coaches can see his impact on the team and the Blazer's record.

I don't know if LA can develop his perimeter game up to the 3-point area, like Sheed, but he's going somewhere. He's making the Bulls regret that they traded him for Tyrus "athletic-knucklehead" Thomas.
    And, wishing him to be like Tim Thomas at the very least is a very low expectation for his potential. IMO he's better than Tim Thomas now with his impact on the team. All Timmy do is chuck 'em treys...

One of the reason why the Blazers are rolling: Chemistry

"It has all come together to form a locker room that on a nightly basis is filled with laughter, debate, teasing and a general sense of togetherness, so much so that several out-of-town NBA beat writers have left remarking, "What a great locker room."

[snip]

They have become more of a family than a team, a stark contrast to coach Nate McMillan's first season, when he had to implore his fragmented team to show even the simplest gesture of teamwork: offering a hand to a teammate who had fallen to the court. Nine of the 15 players under contract (including Darius Miles, who doesn't travel with the team) were with the Blazers last year. But the chemistry is entirely different.

This Blazers team could be the most tightknit group he has been around, McMillan said."
    - Jason Quick, Oregonian

Portland is like RED BULL TEAM. No superstar but perfect combination of players and Team Chemistry.

Brandon Roy is really the heart of this team.
    If you watch his game you might think that he is slow, but once he drive to the left or to the right, the defender doesn't know where he is.. he might have passed the ball to an open man or made a jump shot or a lay-it in already. These made him attracts the defense of opposing teams night in/night out.
    He's unselfishness brings a lot to the table and is still improving.
    Surely an All-Star caliber.
    But one thing that might be underrated on this team is its defense.
    It should be noted that coach McMillan comes from a very very defense-oriented team in Seattle (payton,kemp,McIlvaine) and that its like defense is in his blood..literally. Preaching defense to these young guys is surely a top priority. And in basketball, consistent defense gives you rings and championships. Kaya siguro hindi nila pinayagang magbulk up ng husto si Oden para mas makagalaw sa ilalim at madevelop pa yung defensive skills nya like blocks & off rebs.

Hopefully i-trade na nilla si darius miles to clear their cap.
    Halos deadset na naman sila at almost every position.
    Baka ma-disrupt lang yung team chemistry pag pinasok pa sya. Surely he will be a good player on a different team.(Hello Isiah)

Kudos to this new Blazers Team!!!
    Am not a fan before but the future of Rip City is now shining bright as ever...ika nga nila...nuff said.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2008/01/medium_nba_live_roy.jpg

iRoy may be cool, but it isn't available
    By Brian Hendrickson, Columbian Staff Writer

PORTLAND — The Portland Trail Blazers’ promotional campaign to help land Brandon Roy on the All-Star Team has drawn so much attention that even regular fans have been mistaking the device for a readily available item.

Roy was even stopped in a grocery store on Thursday by a fan who wanted to know where they could buy an iRoy — the iPod Nano music and video player the Blazers loaded with testimonial interviews and highlight reels to help draw attention to Roy’s season.

"Now people think they’re selling it in stores," Roy said. "Everyone I talk to is like, ‘How can I get an iRoy?’ They think it’s like its own brand, like a brand of an iPod."

Ironically, there is little to distinguish the iRoy from a regular iPod Nano. An engraving on the back touting the device as a limited edition Brandon Roy All-Star issued Nano is the only physical marker. The three video clips and song tracks loaded onto the device by the Blazers — along with some customized packaging — are the only other distinguishing features.

The Blazers sent the iRoy to the 14 Western Conference coaches who will vote for the All-Star Team’s reserves, and to 61 local and national members of the media. Word quickly spread, drawing mentions on national radio and TV broadcasts and several Internet sites.

And once the word was out, Roy started fielding requests for what people thought was a customized Brandon Roy iPod. Even Roy’s mom called him to request iRoys for her friends.

"I’m like, ‘I can’t get them an iRoy,’ " Roy said. "It’s not even real."

Quote Originally Posted by comefrombehind View Post
    Brandon Roy is really the heart of this team.
    If you watch his game you might think that he is slow, but once he drive to the left or to the right, the defender doesn't know where he is.. he might have passed the ball to an open man or made a jump shot or a lay-it in already. These made him attracts the defense of opposing teams night in/night out.
    He's unselfishness brings a lot to the table and is still improving.
    Surely an All-Star caliber.
    But one thing that might be underrated on this team is its defense.
    It should be noted that coach McMillan comes from a very very defense-oriented team in Seattle (payton,kemp,McIlvaine) and that its like defense is in his blood..literally. Preaching defense to these young guys is surely a top priority. And in basketball, consistent defense gives you rings and championships. Kaya siguro hindi nila pinayagang magbulk up ng husto si Oden para mas makagalaw sa ilalim at madevelop pa yung defensive skills nya like blocks & off rebs.

Hopefully i-trade na nilla si darius miles to clear their cap.
    Halos deadset na naman sila at almost every position.
    Baka ma-disrupt lang yung team chemistry pag pinasok pa sya. Surely he will be a good player on a different team.(Hello Isiah)

Kudos to this new Blazers Team!!!
    Am not a fan before but the future of Rip City is now shining bright as ever...ika nga nila...nuff said.
    Actually Brandon Roy is really slow . But not in a negative way:

"Roy's more than capable of quick bursts, he just doesn't use them very often. He plays most of the game at the pace of an airport security line.
    "He just kind of lulls you to sleep, and then he takes off," Atlanta Hawks guard Tyronn Lue said.
    Roy's father told him to play faster. So did his coach at Washington. He just can't do it. He actually gets slower the closer he gets to the hoop, as he waits for double-teams to arrive, waits for teammates to get open, or sometimes seems to wait to see if the defenders just lose interest from boredom. He doesn't panic when the shot clock runs down. The key: He always makes the right decision. And then, after another bucket (be it his or a teammate's), he just turns around and makes his way downcourt, looking like Jim Brown trudging back to the huddle.
    The Blazers don't make fun of his old-man game.
    "How can you tease someone when he's playing like that?" point guard Steve Blake asked. "With the success he's had, you can't do that."
    Roy leads the team in points, assists and composure.
    "He's the definition of poise," Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said. "
    - Adande, ESPN

And Portland's defense really improved (which triggered their 13 game winning streak). Before, they can't defend well enough one-on-one since they don't really have a lockdown defender. Nate fixed it by employing an active switching zone which proved to be effective.

The team really wants to trade Miles, they don't even have a plan to bring him back this season so as no to disrupt the chemistry.
    The problem is there are no takers so far for him.
    He can help the team by retiring though.

One of J. Kidd's rumored destination is Portland!
    I'm having 2nd thoughts on this one. I love Kidd but I don't know about his role on a rebuilding team like Portland. I know we're winning, but this can't be mistaken for a serious contention.

But maybe, just maybe, he can help on mentoring our young guns.
    And some postseason appearances wouldn't hurt either.
    And if we get lucky enough...

Damn, Rip City is really revving our imaginations and hopes...

Why current the trade rumor involving Kidd and Blazers won't prosper.

The general gist of all of these rumors is:

* Jason Kidd and minimum contract Nets to Dallas.
    * Devin Harris and maybe something else to Portland.
    * Travis Outlaw, Jarrett Jack, Channing Frye, and possibly a pick and/or another player to New Jersey.
    * Devean George, Jerry Stackhouse, and some low salary Dallas players, and maybe a pick, to New Jersey.

In the NBA, there are only a handful of young, affordable players. Of those, there are only a few who have shown signs they can really play. Of those, only a few are known to be solid citizens in the locker room and off the court. Of those, even fewer have been part of winning teams.

People almost never give those guys up. To give up three or four of them in one trade?

What's more Travis Outlaw, lately, has been something of a marvel. He has been almost perfect at both ends of the floor in crunch time. He has a reasonable contract. He is young. His vastly improved shot shows he works. And he plays one of the few positions on the floor that lets him contribute alongside Portland's keepers Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Greg Oden.

If you give up a player like that, at this early stage of his career, you'd think it would be for something really special.

Devin Harris is a nice player, don't get me wrong. But he doesn't knock my socks off like that.

So that was my first thought. This is just crazy talk. Happens all the time in the NBA.

Also, there are some problems with this trade. Play with the trade machine all you want -- it's not working, as described, under the rules. In addition to the basic problem of salaries not matching, Devin Harris has a "poison pill" contract, which means his salary in any trade is small to the outgoing team, but much bigger -- an average of his entire extension, to the incoming team. Devean George has one-year Bird rights, which means (now we're deep in the backwaters of the Collective Bargaining Agreement) that he could decline to be part of any trade, and the teams would have to honor that.

But as the day has progressed, evidence has been popping up that something like this might really have legs.

So I spent a chunk of the afternoon researching Devin Harris, trying to get in the mind of Portland's GM, Kevin Pritchard.

Pritchard, bless him, is not like most fans.

* For one thing, he has his own convictions about players, and that is king. He's not like us people, who think: well, gee, that Sergio Rodriguez sure had a nice game against Atlanta! He has his own metrics, and he believes in them to his core, and will make decisions accordingly.
    * For another thing, he knows the current Blazers better than almost anyone. If there is some flaw that would prevent this or that player from thriving long-term in Portland, Pritchard would know. For instance, when Oden comes back next year and minutes and shots are harder to come by, who is going to become a problem and who is not? Or when people start getting big contracts the year after that, who might become the jealous pouter? These are the things he has to worry about.
    * As satisfied as Portland fans might be with making the playoffs and seeing some fun basketball, Pritchard has to be all about winning a championship. Not just making it to the conference finals, but winning the whole darn thing. That takes a bunch of players peaking together in a special way, not just some guys who play well once in a while.

- Henry, True Sports

and where was Pritchard trained on how to organize a team?
    Last edited by talunan08; Feb 1, 2008 at 05:03 AM.

The Blazers need to win their game against Denver (currently in OT). With Utah beginning to get its act together and Portland slowly slipping away, they badly need this one.

Jarrett Jack cost us this game. F&#$*!

Goodbye playoffs.

Page 5 of 74 First ... 4 5 6 15 55 ... Last