PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: Alaska Wins Laugher vs Champs

Calvin Abueva (21 points, 11 rebounds) and the Alaska Aces made a statement on Wednesday, dominating the Purefoods Star Hotshots in a laugher, 93-73.

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter

Be in the know! Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter for community, movies, sports and promo updates.

read more

Top Female Celebrities

2 more weeks and she will officially be the IT GIRL of the month. Can her fans keep it up? Jane Oineza is still PEx's Top Female Celeb!

read more

PROMO: Interstellar

Join the promo and get a chance to win advance screening tickets to Interstellar!

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

Sun, Oct 19

FINAL

KIA80

Tue, Oct 21

FINAL

NLEX101

Wed, Oct 22

FINAL

Fri, Oct 24

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumNLEXTALK N TEXT
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBLACKWATERRAIN OR SHINE

Sat, Oct 25

05:00 PMLucena CityGINEBRAKIA

Sun, Oct 26

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBARAKOGLOBALPORT
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBPUREFOODS

Tue, Oct 28

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumMERALCOBLACKWATER
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumTALK N TEXTALASKA

Wed, Oct 29

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumKIARAIN OR SHINE
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumNLEXGINEBRA

Fri, Oct 31

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumALASKAMERALCO
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumGLOBALPORTPUREFOODS

Sun, Nov 2

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBARAKOSMB
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumRAIN OR SHINETALK N TEXT

Tue, Nov 4

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumKIAGLOBALPORT
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumGINEBRABLACKWATER

Wed, Nov 5

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumMERALCONLEX
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBALASKA

Fri, Nov 7

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumRAIN OR SHINEBARAKO
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumTALK N TEXTKIA

Sun, Nov 9

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBLACKWATERGLOBALPORT
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumPUREFOODSGINEBRA

Tue, Nov 11

04:15 PMCuneta AstrodomeKIAALASKA
07:00 PMCuneta AstrodomeMERALCOTALK N TEXT

Wed, Nov 12

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumGLOBALPORTRAIN OR SHINE
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumGINEBRABARAKO

Fri, Nov 14

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumALASKABLACKWATER
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumNLEXPUREFOODS

Sat, Nov 15

05:00 PMDavao CityRAIN OR SHINEMERALCO

Sun, Nov 16

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumBARAKOKIA
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBGINEBRA

Tue, Nov 18

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumBLACKWATERPUREFOODS
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumTALK N TEXTGLOBALPORT

Wed, Nov 19

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumBARAKOALASKA
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumKIASMB

Fri, Nov 21

04:15 PMYnares Center, AntipoloNLEXBLACKWATER
07:00 PMYnares Center, AntipoloGINEBRAMERALCO

Sat, Nov 22

05:00 PMCagayan de Oro CityALASKAGLOBALPORT

Sun, Nov 23

03:00 PMBinan, LagunaTALK N TEXTBARAKO
05:15 PMBinan, LagunaMERALCOPUREFOODS

Tue, Nov 25

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumGLOBALPORTSMB
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumRAIN OR SHINENLEX

Wed, Nov 26

04:15 PMYnares Center, AntipoloBARAKOBLACKWATER
07:00 PMYnares Center, AntipoloPUREFOODSKIA

Fri, Nov 28

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumNLEXALASKA
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBMERALCO

Sun, Nov 30

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumGINEBRABARAKO
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumPUREFOODSRAIN OR SHINE

Tue, Dec 2

04:15 PMMoA ArenaBARAKONLEX
07:00 PMMoA ArenaALASKAGINEBRA

Wed, Dec 3

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumMERALCOKIA
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumTALK N TEXTPUREFOODS

Fri, Dec 5

04:15 PMAraneta ColiseumRAIN OR SHINEALASKA
07:00 PMAraneta ColiseumSMBTALK N TEXT

Sat, Dec 6

05:00 PMDipolog CityPUREFOODSBARAKO

Sun, Dec 7

03:00 PMAraneta ColiseumKIANLEX
05:15 PMAraneta ColiseumGINEBRARAIN OR SHINE

Tue, Dec 9

04:15 PMCuneta AstrodomeBLACKWATERSMB
07:00 PMCuneta AstrodomeGLOBALPORTMERALCO
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Cyrus "SKYrus" Baguio, the newly-born PBA superstar

Since no thread about Cyrus “Skyrus” Baguio here in pex, I decided to make one. I’ll try to put up a summary of his basketball career. Corrections are more than welcome here. To all the supporters of this high-flying Iligan City native from his amateur days up to the present, this thread is for all of us.

He first rose to basketball fame via a slam-dunk competition in Cebu after beating Dondon Hontiveros. That time Cyrus was still in high school while Dondon I believe was in the MBA already.

After he played high school ball (If I’m not mistaken with Southwestern University), he went to Manila to tryout for college teams. He first went to DLSU, upon the advice of uncle Ric-ric Marata, himself a former PBA player. However, due to the surplus of players playing the same position, Cyrus was asked to stay in the team b for the meantime. DLSU’s loss was UST’s gain as Cyrus went to Espana to try his luck. He was taken in by Coach Aric. Cyrus played for the UST team that went to the finals in 1999 only to lose to DLSU via Aldeguer’s heartbreaker of a shot. Who could forget that memorable reverse dunk in game 2 of the finals with King Archer Renren Ritualo trailing him?

In 2001, Cyrus along with Gilbert Lao, Mel Latoreno and Kenneth Co Yu Kang were removed from the Tigers lineup by Coach Aric due to academic deficiencies. The following year, he came back and led the Tigers to a return trip to the final four after a year’s absence and in the process was named one of the members of the 2002 UAAP mythical five. Proving to be a spectacular showman, he showed to the college fans the explosiveness and athleticism that he has in his arsenal as evident by his follow-up slam vs. DLSU in the 2nd round and that 360 degree dunk in the 2002 UAAP Bantay Bata all-star game. He also made his presence felt in the PBL by winning the slam dunk title, a mythical 5 selection and a runner-up for his Dazz team against the powerhouse Welcoat team in the PBL finals.

In 2003, Cyrus decided to forego his last year of eligibility and submitted his name among the PBA draft hopefuls. He was taken in the 2nd round by Red Bull but was relegated first to the inactive roster of the team due to the surplus of talented players in the wings (Miller, Tugade, Valenzuela). After some time, he was finally given the chance to play. He subsequently won the PBA slam-dunk title in 2004 putting his name in the exclusive list of players who have won both the PBA and PBL slam-dunk titles. He got his first PBA title during the 2005-2006 PBA Fiesta Conference title against Purefoods.

Fast forward to 2007, he is now the undisputed heart and soul of the Red Bull team alongside Junthy Valenzuela. So far, he’s leading the George Chua franchise to the top despite the loss of erstwhile Barako superstars Villanueva, Tugade and Fonacier. Who would have thought that a skinny and one-dimensional player can be successful at this level in Asia’s first play-for-pay league? This current Philippine Cup of the PBA is definitely Skyrus’ breakout conference. Credit goes not only to him for expanding his game to unprecedented heights but also to Coach Yeng Guiao, no doubt the best coach in our country right now.

Indeed, the former King Tiger is now a certified PBA superstar.

Watch his highlight moves here…

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1bFYfMJ8ClU

And I must say that Cyrus is perhaps the best one-on-one player in the PBA right now. Although, Miller and Caguioa both might have something to say about it.

USTE LO MEJOR!
    VIVA SANTO TOMAS!
    Last edited by tigerman; Dec 1, 2007 at 02:04 PM.

what are his stats for you to say that he is already a superstar?

I've been trying to track the stats of PBA players on my own because the damn PBA wouldn't do it. It's not easy, & the accuracy is suspect. But, anyway, for "Sky-rus" Baguio, here are his current stats:

As of Dec. 2, 2007
    10 g - 30.5 mpg - 18.2 ppg - (4/19) 21.05 % 3-pt FG - (56/96) 58.33% 2-pt FG

Who could forget that memorable reverse dunk in game 2 of the finals with King Archer Renren Ritualo trailing him?
    Saw this game live, and for a moment I cheered for him that dunk was awesome

Anyway, am glad that Cyrus is playing at a very high level right now.

NINJeremy

Banned by Admin
    is he really an emerging superstar? only time can tell...there are a many players that have a very, very good game in one stretch of their career, but can't maintain the level longer.....

and bakit ang babaduy ng mga monicker ng mga PBA players.."skyrus?" oh man...sino ba nagbigay sa kanya ng ganyan nick?

I think its a good monicker. The word "sky" refers to his ability to leap high, & seemingly hang in the air while coming up w/ those difficult, off balanced shots. It also rhymes w/ "Cy" of "Cyrus", hence there's a good symbolism & fit w/ his existing name.

Right now I can't think of any better monicker out there.

Cyrus Baguio is averaging 18.3 PPG in the regular season, and he is currently the 4th best scorer in the ALL Filipino Conference. His development this year is one of the main reason that Redbull Barako is the 2nd seed team in the PBA Standings. ( 7 wins- 3 losses) ahead of Magnolia Beverages Masters, and TalK N' Texts.

http://pba-online.net/stats/2007-200...s-per-game.php

Skyrus is also one of the best passer for a non PG in the PBA averaging 4.10 APG ( Top 10 in the Assists Department)

He is also one of the best in the league in getting the steals 1.70 ( 2nd best in the PBA), and his defense is pretty underrated because he has been known as an explosive scorer since his collegiate days playing for the UST Growling Tigers.

Last edited by Derrick_Rose; Dec 2, 2007 at 12:31 PM.

Gonefishing: Hinde naman siguro one hit wonder si Baguio kasi kahit nung rookie pa lang siya sa UST eh, isa na rin siya sa mga players na meron na kaagad killer instinct na maging leader ng isang Franchise sa PBA, and magaling talaga si Baguio and hinde nagkamali ang Redbull na i draft siya nung 2003 bilang 12th overall pick sa 2003 PBA Draft.

The Godfather..
    Quote Originally Posted by rhk111 View Post
    I've been trying to track the stats of PBA players on my own because the damn PBA wouldn't do it. It's not easy, & the accuracy is suspect. But, anyway, for "Sky-rus" Baguio, here are his current stats:

As of Dec. 2, 2007
    10 g - 30.5 mpg - 18.2 ppg - (4/19) 21.05 % 3-pt FG - (56/96) 58.33% 2-pt FG

parang hindi accurate yung "30.5 minutes per game" na stat nyan dude since no one in Redbull's lineup gets 30mins of playing time a game, it is usually 25mins average max per player.

"adonis827 what are his stats for you to say that he is already a superstar?" <---you must not have been watching or paying attention to his monster stats in his previous games the assists, steals, rebounds and blocks is just uncanny for a limited number of playing time since that's how Redbull system goes to shuffle its roster for everyone to contribute...

Quote Originally Posted by adonis827 View Post
    what are his stats for you to say that he is already a superstar?
    Even your very own Mico Halili was quoted as saying something like "PBA fans you are watching the birth of a new PBA superstar."

My guess is that you're not watching enough Red Bull games this season, are you?

USTE LO MEJOR!
    VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Banned by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick_Rose View Post
    Gonefishing: Hinde naman siguro one hit wonder si Baguio kasi kahit nung rookie pa lang siya sa UST eh, isa na rin siya sa mga players na meron na kaagad killer instinct na maging leader ng isang Franchise sa PBA, and magaling talaga si Baguio and hinde nagkamali ang Redbull na i draft siya nung 2003 bilang 12th overall pick sa 2003 PBA Draft.

I'm not saying that he's a flash in the pan. yes, he could be the next superstar of the PBA, but IMO it is still too early to tell..

I think cycle talaga sa career ng isang player na meron isang stretch na sobrang ganda ng nilalaro nila, but the question is kaya ba nila i sustain yun ganun level? that is what separate a legit superstar from a wannabe....

kahit maganda ilaro niya this season, but come next season and mga susunod pa eh maging average player nanaman siya...then he's not a superstar but a good player who had he's run...

if a playel really wanted to be big, dapat ma sustain niya yun level na nilalaro nila....

^ parang johnedel cardel ba ang dating ha gonefishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    parang hindi accurate yung "30.5 minutes per game" na stat nyan dude since no one in Redbull's lineup gets 30mins of playing time a game, it is usually 25mins average max per player.

"adonis827 what are his stats for you to say that he is already a superstar?" <---you must not have been watching or paying attention to his monster stats in his previous games the assists, steals, rebounds and blocks is just uncanny for a limited number of playing time since that's how Redbull system goes to shuffle its roster for everyone to contribute...
    Well, I manually calculate the average from the stats each game for each game a poster named "Bolabasket" posts in the Interbasket forums.

I admit there might be some errors, especially if one or two games are missing, but as far as I know, the numbers should be accurate. I can send you by e-mail all of Red Bull's stats per game, if you want.

As for "Sky-rus" consistency, I think the fact that he has been able to score & shoot well from the floor for at least 10 games now establishes the fact that he is PBA Star material. I mean, if you look at the stats of the other PBA stars themselves, they tend to vary also per season, though they don't vary very much to where it was before.

What were James Yap, Asi Taulava, Renren Ritualo, Mac Cardona, Kerby Raymundo, etc. stats last year, & compare them this year? Am sure there are variations, but they are still considered as stars.

The worst thing that can happen to Cyrus Baguio is to be tagged a "star". You see, no star is bigger than Yeng Guiao's.

Expect Baguio to be shipped to other teams in the near future.

Luv ko na si 3210!
    ^

kaya pala ur team's company been trying to lure him since 2001

16. Advertisement

^I agree. Fans of Magnolia like me wouldnt mind.

But I have to agree, Baguio has stepped up as Red Bull's go-to-guy. And I like his play, not one-dimensional.

If I remember correctly, the deal sending Rich Alvarez to Red Bull almost never pushed through because Alaska wanted Cyrus to be included in the deal (along with a pick). Yeng flat-out refused and instead gave up two picks in Alaska's favor. Now we know why.

Gotta tip my hat to Cy. I was one of the ones who called him out because I felt he had a habit of holding on to the ball way too long that the other four guys ended up being frozen out of the play. To his credit, his improved assist total means that he's become smarter and more sophisticated with his decision making. He's also become a lockdown defender against the high-scoring guards on the pro level.

With a little bit more consistency on that three-ball, he could get a very good look from Chot and the National Team.
    Last edited by Demon Wings; Dec 2, 2007 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by berna View Post
    ^

kaya pala ur team's company been trying to lure him since 2001
    And what does that have to do with the discussion?

Luv ko na si 3210!
    ^

di ba they already lured the "STARS" of the team, so the only one they couldn't get as u said is the biggest "STAR". So that's why they're luring him away kasi "STAR" pala sya!

Ah, you mean Yeng Guiao. Really? He's being lured by Cojuangco? Yeng Guaio? That's news to me.

Cristy Fermin around here or something?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast