PEx Highlights

PBA: Still 'Liga ng Bayan' after 40 Years

We list down ten compelling reasons, on why the PBA has remained relevant to Filipinos today since its inception in 1974.

read more

Solo Backpackers: Get Up and Go!

Planning to escape the rigors of the metro soon? Join the Solo Backpackers thread and get insights and tips from fellow PExers about traveling alone!

read more

PROMO: Interstellar

Join the promo and get a chance to win advance screening tickets to Interstellar!

read more

PHOTOS: Alaska Wins Laugher vs Champs

Calvin Abueva (21 points, 11 rebounds) and the Alaska Aces made a statement on Wednesday, dominating the Purefoods Star Hotshots in a laugher, 93-73.

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

little people

Question "Utang na Loob"... a good or bad filipino trait?

Pag ikaw ay gumawa ng kabutihan sa kapwa, automatic na na may utang na loob sya sayo. At pag may utang na loob na sya sayo, ay parang may "free favor" point ka na sa kanya. Does it really work this way for filipinos?
    Hindi ba pwedeng dahil sa maganda lang talaga ang kalooban mo ay tumutulong ka sa kapwa mo ng walang kapalit?
    At makakabuti bang pinag mamalaki mo sa madla ang mga nagawa mong kabutihan? o dapat sarilihin mo nalang ang kagandang loob na pinakita mo sa kaibigan/kapwa mo?
    At tama bang manumbat ka ng "walang utang na loob" pag ndi ka napagbigyan ng pabor?

ugaling pinoy... mabuti ba ito?
    ugaling pinoy... uso pa ba ito?

para saakin ang "utang na loob" is a bad filipino trait.

Cool

para saakin ang "utang na loob" is a bad filipino trait. I agree with you a 1000%. if you are in that situation you're trap with no way out and It's pay back time. if you Recieve a favor its only natural to pay it back.But watch for what they want in return it may lead to breaking up your friendship or having a mortal enemy if you can not deliver.

Ako hinde ako nahingi ng favor kahit anu. Ma pa pride kasi ako. if ever man magkaruon. talagang tatapatan ko yung ginwa niya. ke ayaw niya or hinde. ke mabuti pa siya or what basta. kung me ginwa siya maganda para sa kin tataptan ko yun. kung hinde man pera. kahitang katwan ko eheheh nyek

Having done a good deed toward a stranger or a friend one should not ask or hope for anything in return. Ideally this would be nice but in reality such is not the case, especially with Filipinos. Utang na loob is the root cause of some of the problems happening in the Philippines.

As far as families and as far as Im concerned, I don't ask anything in return and an example of what I have been doing and still continue to do is when I take my sister to work. I dont ask for gas money, heck she does not even call and ask but instead I am the one calling her and asking if she needs a ride to work.

JB Photography

it is a bad habit when you hear a flipino lambasting you :

'WALA KANG UTANG NA LOOB?"

in the first place..sino nagsabing tumulong ka...ngayon nag aantay ka ng kapalit?

if you help..don't ask anything in return..kahit maghirap ka..wag ka aasa sa iba..be independent...

little people

Question

ano ang utang na loob sa english?
    hehehe

in my opinion, it is a bad filipino trait...although i encountered only a few people who are really into counting "utang na loob"... i must say... stay away from them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    minsan kasi kala mo nagmamagandang loob lang sila... ay! may kapalit pala! hahahaha!