PEx Highlights

MOVIE REVIEW: Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno

Perfectly choreographed fight scenes and compelling execution makes "Kyoto Inferno" the perfect bridge to "Legend Ends."

read more

PHOTOS: Ateneo Wins in the Clutch Again

Kiefer Ravena made another clutch shot at the dying minutes of the game, cementing an Ateneo win over the UE Red Warriors, 78-73.

read more

MOVIE REVIEW: Talk Back and You're Dead

It may not the type of movie that can explain the deeper meaning of life, but it's the movie that can melt your heart.

read more

UAAP Basketball Power Rankings: Week 6

The is back! We talk about the top dogs, the lovable losers and Kyle Neypes' recent transformation.

read more

FEATURE: The 1986 FIBA World Championship

How would the 1986 Philippine national team have fared had it gone to Spain in the 1986 FIBA World Championship?

read more

PROMO: If I Stay

Join the If I Stay promo and win advance screening tickets!

read more

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Management Engineering: To Die For?

Anyways, I heard na ME is one of the killer courses in Ateneo (during the past year kasi, I was still an alien regarding college courses). Sabi pa nga nila, "ME in AdMU is to dieeeee for.". Tsktsk. What are some probable jobs po ba after finishing ME (because I heard that AdMU's ME is the closest thing to other universities Induestrial E)? Any ME students here? And what really makes it difficult? (btw, due to some personal issues, I decided to stay here in AdDU nalang and my course here is far away from ME [because ME wasn't really my personal choice]).

Last edited by skyisblue; May 26, 2007 at 08:01 AM.

ME is one of the more popular courses in AdMU but I don't think it's 'to die for'. It ain't even the most difficult course either. Don't get me wrong though, it's one tough course nonetheless.

Jobs of ME graduates? More often than not, they usually go for the management trainee positions in multinational companies.

Re-member-ed
    ^I second. Well, I thought (think, sige) so.. I didn't even dare to apply in.

OT: Killer din ang MGT-H.

Kaya 'raw' mahirap yan kasi maraming units ng Math (but that really depends on your interest on the subject of numbers). May IT applications na kasama at maraming analysis, problem-solving and organization. Kaya siguro killer kasi malawak ang studies.

Wide range ang job opportunities. Basically sa mga business institutions for consultations, management of various units, etc. Pwede ring maging teacher o kaya government worker.

Aaah I see, thanks! Yeah, I heard it's the best one sa JGSOM. Kasi nga, ME grads daw are like "in demand" sa mga multinational companies. So that's good. Gosh, I hate math pa naman. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by skyisblue View Post
    Aaah I see, thanks! Yeah, I heard it's the best one sa JGSOM. Kasi nga, ME grads daw are like "in demand" sa mga multinational companies. So that's good. Gosh, I hate math pa naman. Hahaha.
    Don't get too ahead of yourself.

It's not as in-demand as people think. There are a lot more non-ME graduates who are occupying influential roles in multinational companies.

Best in the School of Management? Perhaps. I'm with you guys here.

Best in Ateneo? Definitely not. I'd take Eco-H anytime, anyday.

The two toughest courses in the Ateneo in terms of staying in them are MGT-H and Eco-H. MGT-H has something like an 88% mortality rate or so. Eco-H has fewer students to begin with, and even fewer graduate. That is, at least, according to a survey among students before.

In my opinion, Eco-H is tougher than MGT-H, though, because of the sheer math load.

But then again, if you guys want to go through a lot of math, the Ateneo's math programs are very, very tough, I've been told. Just look through the respective curricula, and you'll see what I mean.

ME used to be tougher, I was told, because there were more math subjects required. Now, what seems to have replaced ME at least in terms of sheer load of math subjects in a program related to business is the BS/MS Applied Mathematical Finance program.

Well, I guess it all depends on the preference of the student, especially if his/her forte is math.

Uhm... what's the difference between AdMU's ME program and the MGT-H program?

There are several key differences.

MGT-H is a tougher version of the standard MGT program, which places an emphasis on training entrepreneurs. The classes are, simply put, more "qualitative, " with students taking less heavy calculus and statistics classes. There is an emphasis on opportunity-seeking and marketing analysis, as well as continuous studies of the Philippine economic and business environment. Students take 3 accounting courses instead of 2, and take a tougher marketing class than ME majors. And unlike ME majors, MGT and MGT-H students are required to set up and run a small business throughout their senior year, as an integrative project.

ME is more quantitative. The mathematics courses include key subjects taken by Eco-H and BS Math majors, and there is more analysis in accounting and finance classes. A large emphasis is placed on operations, which is seen in the operations research classes. Quantitative analysis of decision-making is the norm. And while ME students can also be pretty entrepreneurial, I think that their training prepares them more for working in large enterprises and corporations.

With regard to retention requirements, the two programs differ. For one to finish MGT-H, one must maintain a QPI of no less than 3 (or is it 2.8 now?), with no major subject grade lower than a B. You are allowed ONE C+ grade among all major subjects. Dropping of majors is not allowed. Failure to meet the requirements means that you might finish BS MGT, but will lose the H. Finishing BS MGT isn't that hard, it's keeping the H that is, since you can lose it even during you last semester in college. ME has screening subjects from first to third year, and once you get past these subjects (before your senior year), you're assured of staying in ME. But then again, the load can get pretty tough.

Employment opportunities are similar for both programs, although MGT and MGT-H majors seem to enjoy a bit more preference when it comes to marketing tasks, and ME grads get more preference when it comes to finance and operations.

(But then again, if you graduate BS MGT with honors, you're pretty much sure to land any job you want, ahead of the MGT-H and ME grads with no honors. Heck, you can be a Philo major, but if you're an honor student, you'll beat out even the business majors for jobs at multinationals.)

^Now I understand thanks!

Makes me think that I should've marked MGT-H as my first choice than ME. Hehe. But then again, I'd really, really want the European Stdies program. Hehe. And yeah, your performance in school is a big plus in your resume, I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by atenean_blooded View Post
    The two toughest courses in the Ateneo in terms of staying in them are MGT-H and Eco-H. MGT-H has something like an 88% mortality rate or so. Eco-H has fewer students to begin with, and even fewer graduate. That is, at least, according to a survey among students before.

In my opinion, Eco-H is tougher than MGT-H, though, because of the sheer math load.

But then again, if you guys want to go through a lot of math, the Ateneo's math programs are very, very tough, I've been told. Just look through the respective curricula, and you'll see what I mean.

ME used to be tougher, I was told, because there were more math subjects required. Now, what seems to have replaced ME at least in terms of sheer load of math subjects in a program related to business is the BS/MS Applied Mathematical Finance program.
    I agree with you on all accounts. No offense to Mgt H people but in my opinion, Eco H > Mgt H. Also, ME's curriculum has been watered down in the last few years so it is not as difficult to finish the program as it seems anymore. Lastly, MaFin (or AMF) is definitely Ateneo's premier Math course now.

Back when the program was still being formulated, I was invited to join the pioneer batch of AMF. I declined the offer because I was afraid that the companies would not know AMF, and hire the Ec-H, ME and Mgt-H graduates over me. I picked one of the three other courses instead. I don't regret my decision, but sometimes I wonder if my training would have been more extensive and beneficial to my future had I gone for AMF.

I was invited to join the pioneer batch of AMF. I didn't want to take 5 years to finish my studies, though, nor did I want to work in a bank (one of Ateneo's key partners in developing the AMF program was the ADB), and my math grades were dipping because I was having too much of a ball in college. And sheesh, AMF allows for only ONE free elective. Since I have a lot of interests, I cannot stand stuff like that.

EcoH and MGT-H are very different, so I can't say which program is better. Because I doubt EcoH gives students the same practical experience as MGT-H does, but I do think Eco-H's exposing students to larger theories and more numerical nitty-gritty is stuff that MGT-H can never give.

I was invited to join the pioneer batch of AMF. I didn't want to take 5 years to finish my studies, though, nor did I want to work in a bank (one of Ateneo's key partners in developing the AMF program was the ADB), and my math grades were dipping because I was having too much of a ball in college. And sheesh, AMF allows for only ONE free elective. Since I have a lot of interests, I cannot stand stuff like that.
    I guess we're from the same batch then. What they failed to tell us when they were trying to recruit us is the fact that AMF students can opt out of the 5th year. AMF's pioneer batch only had three graduates, but only two of them pursued the Master's Degree, which is what the fifth year is for.

I had no idea that AMF only has one free elective. That sucks. Then again, I had at least three free electives back in college, but I chose to use all but one elective on Finance classes.

14. Jun 7, 2007, 02:33 AM
    Reason
    bashing

Quote Originally Posted by vince 15 View Post
    I guess we're from the same batch then. What they failed to tell us when they were trying to recruit us is the fact that AMF students can opt out of the 5th year. AMF's pioneer batch only had three graduates, but only two of them pursued the Master's Degree, which is what the fifth year is for.

I had no idea that AMF only has one free elective. That sucks. Then again, I had at least three free electives back in college, but I chose to use all but one elective on Finance classes.
    I didn't know you could've opted out of the fifth year. Oh well.

Finance was never my best class. I didn't even consider minoring in that. Hehehe.

I fared better in the strategic management and marketing classes, and had so much more fun taking up the core subjects. I also blew all of my electives on fine arts and literature, and spent one taking up a Comm elective in advertising. The business program's great, but I was pretty bored all throughout, and sometimes even wished I had just taken up Philosophy or something closer to the arts. And then the Ateneo decided to offer the program in Information Design, some subjects of which I decided to just take as electives instead of going through two more years of college. After all, if I really want to pursue art, I can just build my portfolio while in graduate school, and then take a 2-year art program after that. I haven't closed that option off.

AMF was definitely interesting, especially since I actually like math (more than it liked me, it seems). But then again, if I wanted to take up math, I would've majored in math, which would have actually given me free electives. Hehehe.

Is AMF the closest thing AdMU has for Accountancy?

Is AMF the closest thing AdMU has for Accountancy?
    not sure about AMF but any course in JGSOM is close to accounting (even MAC)... you just need to take a few more subjects in schools offering bs accountancy (DLSU ) to be able to take the board exams....

i guess slaving away on those accounting tests are worth it somehow

^ thanks!

I guess I should've taken that to consideration, about the mgt programs and all that. But I guess mgt is just not for a person like me. Hehe.

Hmm... I have a friend in AdMU who got 7 classmates for the 2nd sem who failed the ME program. Just heard the news awhile ago. Scary.

meron akong kakilala, natakot bumagsak sa ME so he shifted to MGT standard & he graduated with honors pa!

kita mo nga naman...

I didn't know you could've opted out of the fifth year. Oh well.
    Neither did I.

Finance was never my best class. I didn't even consider minoring in that. Hehehe.
    I was a mediocre Finance student. Well, I got above average grades compared to my classmates but I surely could've done better had I concentrated more on academics.

I fared better in the strategic management and marketing classes, and had so much more fun taking up the core subjects. I also blew all of my electives on fine arts and literature, and spent one taking up a Comm elective in advertising. The business program's great, but I was pretty bored all throughout, and sometimes even wished I had just taken up Philosophy or something closer to the arts. And then the Ateneo decided to offer the program in Information Design, some subjects of which I decided to just take as electives instead of going through two more years of college. After all, if I really want to pursue art, I can just build my portfolio while in graduate school, and then take a 2-year art program after that. I haven't closed that option off.
    I hated the core subjects... well, just Filipino, History and Theology. I wanted to take one of those film classes because I heard they were very easy, but I guess everybody heard about them, too. Consequentially, with my always terrible random number, I never got the chance to sign up for any of them. I loved Philo but I don't think I'd ever consider majoring in it.

AMF was definitely interesting, especially since I actually like math (more than it liked me, it seems). But then again, if I wanted to take up math, I would've majored in math, which would have actually given me free electives. Hehehe.
    In high school, Math seemed to love me much more than I cared for academics in general. That's why I thought about going for AMF. On the one hand, in hindsight, I never really imagined myself majoring in Math - at least in ADMU I didn't. In the end, I just picked the course that most of my friends chose because I wanted all of us to be in the same classes. It didn't work out that way for my first two years though since even if we were all in the same course, I was in a different block.

^ thanks!

I guess I should've taken that to consideration, about the mgt programs and all that. But I guess mgt is just not for a person like me. Hehe.

Hmm... I have a friend in AdMU who got 7 classmates for the 2nd sem who failed the ME program. Just heard the news awhile ago. Scary.
    The Ateneo is unlikely to ever offer a degree program in accountancy. It doesn't fit in how we want to do things.

And I don't think AMF is close enough to accountancy. AMF goes into the mathematics of financial analysis. I don't think ANY accountancy program in the country offers that.

And if 7 people getting kicked out of a program is scary, try this on for size: In my batch, there were 65 MGT-H majors at the start of second year. Entering the second semester, they were down to 8. Only 2 or 3 graduated MGT-H. There were over 50 ME graduates (from around 120 students), and around 8 or so Eco-H graduates.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast