PEx Highlights

MOVIE REVIEW: The Giver

Very promising, but tries too hard to fit in the mold of the Hunger Games/Divergent series.

read more

PHOTOS: UE Keep Final Four Dream Alive

Despite not fielding in Roi Sumang, the UE Red Warriors managed to get a 64-55 win over the NU Bulldogs.

read more

Wake Me Up When You Show Me Your Teeths!

In this week's Show Me Your Teeths!, the ladies talk about the -ber months, the upcoming Bench Fashion Show and the Cosmo Bachelor Bash.

read more

Watch 'The Legend Ends' Trailer!

Check out the trailer of the final instalment of the Rurouni Kenshin series, 'The Legend Ends.'

read more

FIBA FEATURE: Do We Stand a Chance?

Do we really have a shot to make it through? JPM weighs in on the the odds of Gilas Pilipinas in the FIBA World Cup.

read more

Calling All Travel Bloggers!

Wanna get featured in PEx-Travel? Share with us your travel blogs and have your entries promoted around PinoyExchange!

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dwarf and elf..?

Guys.. bukod sa ispeling, anu pinagkaiba ng dwarf sa elf? Tsaka anu ang tagalog ng elf? tama din ba ako na dwende ang dwarf?

Think freely or be damned. Pronghorn's Avatar
    ^ Kung ibabase natin sa orihinal na mitolohiya ng Europa, iyung mga tinatawag na mga elf eh iyung mga "engkantado/a" saatin (cf. to JRR Tolkien's "Elves"). Iyung mga dwarf naman sa kanila eh iyung (tama ka) mga "dwende".

Yun nga lang, wala ata talagang katutubong salitang Tagalog sa engkantado at dwende (Kastila ata sila). Sa Bisaya ata mayroon.

Anong diferencia? Okey na basehan iyung sa pelikulang "The Lord of the Rings". Tall, fair, and superhuman = elf; short, stocky, and hairy = dwarf.

dwarfs ata eh yung mga unano o maliliit na tao parang *** mga kaibigan ni snow white then *** elf e *** tipong mystical at may powers ang dating..like *** sa "The shoe maker and the elves" and *** mga elves ni Santa..

*** mga tinatawag ata natin na mga dwende eh *** mga elf sa english tapos ang dwarf pag tinagalog eh unano...

magulo? basta un *** opinion ko.

yung dwarves diba mga maliit na tao na madalas e manual labor ang ginagawa, at mukha silang matanda

elf naman madalas e mga sosyal, gwapo/magaganda ang itsura

walang pinag-kaiba ang dwarf at elf... pareho lang silang katha nang imahinasyon..

My question is, why do some epic/mythological stories depict elves as tiny (not necessarily stocky or burly short) creatures sporting green hats? Sino kaya nagpasimula no'n? I don't like those kinds of elves. I like the fair, beautiful, wise and powerful elves in LOTR. "Elven" also have a magical and mystical ring to it.

dwarf means small..may dwarf papaya diba?

while elf: extra low frequency..haha
    elf,yun yung magical creatures..XD

Quote Originally Posted by my_identity View Post
    My question is, why do some epic/mythological stories depict elves as tiny (not necessarily stocky or burly short) creatures sporting green hats? Sino kaya nagpasimula no'n? I don't like those kinds of elves. I like the fair, beautiful, wise and powerful elves in LOTR. "Elven" also have a magical and mystical ring to it.
    Have you read the article by Leonid Korablev "The True Elves of North-Western Europe"? It explains things well.

JRR Tolkien's "Elves" are quite mythologically accurate, I'd say. He presents the elven-folk as originally envisioned by the Ancients in their undiluted lores. I think it was partly Christianity's fault why they got mixed up with the tiny pixies and stocky dwarrows (dwarves). Then Shakespeare (and eventually, Hollywood) came in and popularised these distorted images even more.

Better check the article. It's good.

and don't forget gnomes.

Pagla2kbaySmundoNgKawalan narutrix's Avatar
    i think both are the same, its just that people from different places call them differently

Banned by Admin
    Gimli (dwarf) and Legolas (elf):

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/ADVG/385~Gimli-Legolas-Posters.jpg

nos feratu
    my identity and pronghorn - I have a question something related with your discussion. Why do Elves have pointy ears, fair looking and usually use bow and arrows in combat? Why are dwarves crude-looking and usually use battle axes?

Where did these stereotypes come from? Lalang, naalala ko lang kasi D&D.

baka kasi gawa na rin kung san sila nakatira

elves sa forest kadalasan diba
    dwarves sa mountain

Quote Originally Posted by narutrix View Post
    i think both are the same, its just that people from different places call them differently
    'Elf' and 'dwarf' come from the same language base; from the same place. I don't think they were intended to mean the same thing.

]
    ymessenger359am:
    true_steppers makes a good point. Possibly it's how they evolved to adapt to their natural habitats, perhaps in a way not very different from that of our species. I'd say: elves are more adapted to living in the valleys and forests --- the ears to hear better over large distances and lean bodies to move from tree to tree with agility, and bows and spears to protect themselves from a distance. The stocky dwarfs are obviously better suited for the mountains -- where their large axes are fit to call death upon a single blow; perhaps to compensate for their lack of agility. Their art also reflects how- and where they live.

Of course, this is just taking things seriously. None of us can prove at the moment if such creatures really existed in the natural world.

Being a fan and student of both mythology and anthropology, I've postulated this theory, partly for fun, and partly as an attempt to 'rationalise' their existence in a naturalistic way ----->

Elves: About 150,000-100,000 BCE, stable populations of a tall and lean breed of late archaic Homo sapiens---or perhaps, an advanced breed of Homo habilis---slowly emerged as a separate species in the temperate valleys of Eurasia. Anatomically similar though far more complex than the breed of Homo Sapiens sapiens later to appear in East Africa, they were far slower in ageing, more agile in reflexes, keener in hearing, and sharper in eyesight. They were taller and leaner in appearance (ave. of 6 feet in height), had light-weighed bones, a long skull, high nose bridge, smooth skin texture, and fair--almost pale--colouring. Thus, a physiology developed in the temperate regions in Eurasia – well equipped for a region of deep valleys and large forests, barred by high mountains. Evidence of earliest urban civilisations must have appeared far later, as the ice sheets retreated and the regular celestial manifestations of the sun reappeared. They bore a culture which centered on extensive hunting/gathering and animal herding. They preferred abodes around large old trees and/or within valleys (often camouflaging their architecture with its surroundings) where they developed textile-weaving, metallurgy, and smithcraft celebrating their habitat. An area between the west Caucasus mountains and east of the Black Sea (then Lake Euxine) would have been the earliest possible site of urban "Elven" culture (cf. Cuvienen).

Dwarfs: About 250,000-100,000 BCE, stable populations of a short and stocky breed of early archaic Homo sapiens (possibly related to Homo Sapiens neanderthalis) emerged as a separate species in the European part of the Arctic circle; in the highly mountainous regions of northernmost Europe and possibly nearby lands in northern Asia. Short and stocky in built with an average of 4 feet in height with heavy bones, they were hardier and tougher than most current hominid breeds of the time, thus were well equipped in living in mountainous areas, and in the deep, dark places under them. The earliest evidences of their urban civilizations are believed to have appeared much later in their history; where they built cities made mainly of stone and metal; and centred on metallurgy, smith-craft, and mining. The mountain ranges of Norway, the Swiss Alps and the northern Urals would be possibly the earliest plausible cultural homeland of the pioneering urban civilisations (cf. Durin).

There exists a more "rational" way of explaining their possible historical existence, though:
    [quote Wikipedia on 'Dwarf':]
    Stories of dwarves may have a historical background: during the Bronze Age, tin miners from southern and south-eastern Europe slowly migrated northwest, since the relatively rare tin, which is needed to make bronze, was more common in the north. Being southerners, they generally were of shorter stature than northern Europeans and had darker skin, hair and beards. Their knowledge of metallurgy might have seemed magical to the northerners, whose lifestyle was still neolithic; the southerners' superior weapons and armour might well have been perceived as enchanted. This would explain why stories of dwarves are especially common in Northern Europe, and also why dwarves are portrayed as workers, while few other mythological creatures seem to be associated with any kind of organized industry.

More generally, the pygmies of Africa, the short Eskimos, Sami (Lapps), the Asian Dropa pygmies of Tibet, short rainforest natives, people with dwarfism, and similarly short people may have had a hand in the origin of dwarf legends in many countries.

The field of Depth Psychology has suggested that dwarfs are most frequently psychological symbols of what Carl G. Jung termed the "Shadow." The Shadow is the portion of the human psyche which contains personalities, behaviors, and/or events that have been suppressed by consciousness in the unconscious in a personal, societal, or collective manner.

Another origin might go back to hunter-gatherer times, when only those with physical defects would be available to do anything other than hunting and gathering. Those with dwarfism might be stuck as permanent craftsmen, and an association between crafting, and dwarfism might have developed.
    Phew. This got a tad lengthy, didn't it?

dorf=stoneform, elves=shadowmeld....oops thought this was the world of warcraft thread

so ano ang dwende? elf o dwarf?

^ Mahirap ikumpara, ibang kultura kasi.

Basta sa madaling salita: iyung dwendeng may balbas, mas hawig sa European "dwarves". Yung mga 2 ft lang na iba-iba kulay, parang local "brownies". Yung mga may pakpak na kasingliit ng hinlalaki, pixies. Yung local equivalent ng mga 'true' elves dito, iyun iyung mga "engkantada".

This is a decent site on Philippine mythic beings: http://www.angelfire.com/on4/zambale...ipinos_wer.htm

i think parehas *** sila, ang pinag kaiba *** eh magkaiba ang bansang nacreate (or should i say nag imagine) sa kanila. just like our duwende. for example, sake of japan, vodka of russia, etc, although magkakaiba sila ng lasa pero parehas *** sila alak.

Both Elf and Dwarf belongs to the subcategories of Faires or Enchanted Beings

in Tagalog or in Filipino language, Dwarf/Dwarves are called Dwende while Elf/Elves are called Diwata, again they belong to the subcategories of Faires or Enchanted Beings which are called Engkanto, Engkantado or Engkantada in Tagalog.

Dwarves are actually related to earth element, close relatives to Gnomes in function that they guard minerals, golds and gems. They are also said to be good at blacksmithing, weaponry, armory and crafting of any kind.

While the Elves are adept in magic, guardians of nature and forests. It depends because the elves themselves are further classified into many categories as well such as ordinary elves, forest elves, silver elves, dark elves, light elves and so forth. Some mythologists tells that they are also adepts of bows, healing and recovery magic others of staff, arcane and runic magic. They are related to Wind Element but some relates them to light, dark, water or earth element as well.

I got this knowledge in books, media culture ( television and video games ) and in folklores.

and Elves age VERY SLOWLY or DOES NOT AGE AT ALL and has a very LONG LIFE SPAN than Humans which makes them more beautiful and fair kasi hindi sila natanda agad agad. naabot sila ng hundreds of years ng hindi kumukulubot agad agad. or kung natanda man sila palatandaan ang eh naputi ang mga buhok nila. kasing tangkad din sila ng normal humans pero yung ears nila eh pointy. sa mga games na nalalaro ko they depicted elves as the MOST BEAUTIFUL RACE in the world, does not age and when they die of old age, they only shatter like glass and vanish like bubbles. parang "Eldin" race sa Dragona Online, dun sila binase. kung nag e exist lang sana sila mas gusto kong mapabilang sa race of Elves than normal humans XD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast