In Memoriam: 99.5 RT | Music and Radio | PinoyExchange

X

Page 1 of 63 1 2 11 51 ... Last
    Pasaway buster

In Memoriam: 99.5 RT

Let this be an ode to a good radio station station which became the latest "victim" the rebranding/reformatting/whatdapak-is-it campaign of Quest/TRPI (but in reality it's still a reformat because even if it's just rebranding or so if it were in a broader sense it's a reformat just like in a computer).

99.5 RT, thanks for the memories (especially the cutting-edge music)...the station WAS never the same again when Quest took control of it from the Tuason family a decade ago.

The station was REALLY best from the New Wave era until the early 90's for its cutting-edge music, limited DJ yapping/talk, and best programming...

If only I (and those who grew up with it, me having hooked during my high school years until the Quest takeover) wished the Tuasons just took it back (especially when they've got Rock 990) to preserve its listener base...(not the listener base full of those teenyboppers)
    Last edited by karirista; Dec 19, 2006 at 06:24 AM.

mga DJs na natatandaan ko:

Jeremiah Jr.
    Jake Swan
    Joe Schmoe
    and "The Nasty" North Andrew

meron pa bang 24K friday?

ah memories...

Pasaway buster
    ^ Possibly mawawala na rin un with the entry of Hit FM (DWHT) sa 99.5. Baka mala-Friday Madness na ang dating.

Unless Quest preserves the RT legacy...RT signed off nung end of Sunday broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by karirista View Post
    ^ Possibly mawawala na rin un with the entry of Hit FM (DWHT) sa 99.5. Baka mala-Friday Madness na ang dating.

Unless Quest preserves the RT legacy...RT signed off nung end of Sunday broadcast.
    wala nang RT, as in RT SUNDAY SESSIONS?

Certified Chinoy Ako

Arrow First Generation RT Listener here...

99.5 RT opened my ears further into the world US pop music. It will be best remembered for playing the songs that other radio stations haven't played yet.

And to tell you frankly, how I'd wished Quest would have dropped its brand name and logo ten years ago when it "alledgedly" raided from the Tuasons its frequency and facilities.

I feel sad whenever Quest ran the old RT station plugs on Fridays to distinguish its "24 K" from other days in a week. It was like it was really a travesty on the part of the Tuasons, who by the way, still owned Y101 Cebu and called the station there "The Rhythm of the City". Finally, there will be a cap to its use, although long ago they should have abandoned those plugs.

99.5 RT was the leading reason for me to prod my mother to buy me my very own AM-FM radio, which I was able to get for the first time in 1979 even though the set was co-owned by the whole family. I was only in my early teens back then.

Back when I was a kid, I only had a transistor AM radio handed down from my father. I discovered RT by accident in 1978 during a visit to my cousin's house. The first songs I heard on the station are disco classics, and "American Top 40", from the Casey Kasem days. I would look forward to Al W.Leader's slot, as well as Mike Pedero's, while all the other jocks sounded fine as well.

It was pure radio heaven, and what made 99.5RT one of the most recognizable legends of Metro Manila FM radio.

Being there when the station was barely three years old, I was naturally saddened, but at the same time relieved when I heard that the station is dropping its name this week. Although I have been wishing for the longest time that they dropped it as early as ten years ago.

Ms. Martha Tuason, I guess you should think twice in reclaiming this station, now that you have a classic rock radio project. It might just be a very timely move, considering I'm really having a hard time tuning in to your AM radio station in the static-ridden big city.

die boy abunda die! Lucca Yamazaki's Avatar
    Classic rock station project? Ooh! Where?

Pasaway buster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucca Yamazaki View Post
    Classic rock station project? Ooh! Where?
    Rock 990 (The Islands' Only Classic Rock, 990 KHZ on your AM band)

However, the station is inactive as of now. Prolly due to technical issues (has something to do with the transmitter) or financial constraints, dunno which one is hindering its broadcast right now.

BTW -- its call letters are DWRT-AM (supposed to complement 99.5 RT)

Two sides of a coin: (1) Been a listener to 99.5RT for a long time, especially on Fridays where they play new wave tunes (after 107, that is); (2) I once asked where I could get a copy of "The Great White North" album with the song "Take Off!" and the reply that I got back then was "Sorry, we can't tell, and if you do find it, you can't buy it." WTF? And they say media such as radio is informative. But in a Pinoy sense, it's all about "What I Have and What You Can't Have".

Pasaway buster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
    Two sides of a coin: (1) Been a listener to 99.5RT for a long time, especially on Fridays where they play new wave tunes (after 107, that is); (2) I once asked where I could get a copy of "The Great White North" album with the song "Take Off!" and the reply that I got back then was "Sorry, we can't tell, and if you do find it, you can't buy it." WTF? And they say media such as radio is informative. But in a Pinoy sense, it's all about "What I Have and What You Can't Have".
    Whatta crap experience dude. In what RT era did you try to ask the on-air personnel about it, when it was in its good ol' days (1970s-1996) or when Quest owned it (1996 till recently)?

Quote Originally Posted by karirista View Post
    Whatta crap experience dude. In what RT era did you try to ask the on-air personnel about it, when it was in its good ol' days (1970s-1996) or when Quest owned it (1996 till recently)?
    I think it was sometime '86-87 when I was still pushing pencils. It wasn't on the air as well. I just called to inquire about where to get the album. Goes to show that some folks who are in the radio are just as arrogant as anyone else in the entertainment business.

Come to think of it, it applies to almost everything. Which is why when some folks tell me that I'm NOT supposed to do what I can do and NOT get or acquire what I can get (through hard work, of course), they're pretty much welcome to view a smile from me... ...and the middle finger in front of it.

I've been listening to RT as well since circa 1978-1979. The DJ's then would be considered legendary already by today: Leroy La Bamba, Joey Don, George Boone (he was called simply "George" back then), Eric Caine (taken from "Hurricane"), Al W. Leader and of course, Mike Pedero. Back then, RT was the only real Top 40 station, where they played purely Top 40 hits. But since the recording industry didn't exactly release tracks from the US almost immediately here, getting copies of the up and coming songs were difficult to find. RT, with its penchant to get records from the US, became known as the station that plays the hits first.

The next wave came with the group of Jeremiah Junior, Vince St. Price, Joey Pizza, Bob Curry, Jiggy, among others. This was the early 80's. They were the only station that played Top 40 hits that were never released here, plus the first station to introduce CBS and Virgin albums that weren't locally distributed here (later secured by Octo-Arts). Hits from Michael Jackson, Men At Work, Toto, among others were difficult to find elsewhere but you can hear these from RT.

In 1985, George Boone (who came from DWLS) launched 101.1 KISS-FM and secured the services of top RT jocks Junior, Jiggy and Caine, to join forces with Stoney Burke of RJ fame and revolutionized FM radio with their different kind of format. All of a sudden, the jocks became essential personalities on air - people listened not just to the music but because of the jocks. On the other hand, a week before KISS came into the scene, Leader opened KY-FM 91.5 and brought with him Price, Pizza and another jock whose name I forget (he used to do voice over for CITYLITE). RT was left with Mighty Thor, Johnny Cesar and Curry as the vet jocks. After a while, OB Hollywood Andrew secured majority stockholdership of Trans-Radio and reformatted RT after their ratings and revenue dropped with the opening of KISS. RT became known as the Red Hot Radio, a station that plays nothing but new wave hits. Joining Thor, Cesar, Curry and Hollywood in RT were upstarts Paul Reno, North Andrew, Boo Kyler, Slim Bim, among others.

Eventually, RT reformatted again after the Red Hot concept didn't fly. They went back to the old RT and regained their lost glory in the early 90's led by North Andrew (who in tandem with May back then would arguably be the best morning show of the decade). Others in that stellar cast also included Joe Schmoe (a gifted North Andrew clone who blossomed into his own), Joshua, Kyler and a host of others. OB Hollywood's stocks were eventually re-secured and he lost his DJ job (Hollywood as a DJ stuck out like one obnoxious dude) in the process.

They eventually lost steam in the late 90's and never recovered. But you have to admit it, if I were to name the Top 10 DJ's in the history of Metro Manila FM radio, majority would find their roots in RT. Here's a sampling:

1. Jeremiah Junior
    2. North Andrew
    3. Al W. Leader
    4. Mike Pedero (actually more of a radio executive than as a DJ)
    5. George Boone (same with Pedero, more of a radio executive than as a DJ)
    6. Jiggy
    7. Joe Schmoe

The other 3 in my Top 10 list would be Big O' Brian (who worked with TM, KC and ZOO-FM and is Bob Curry's sibling), Sonny Zee (formerly of RK 96, KISS, KOOL and K-LITE), and Hillbilly Willy (KC and RJ).

Au revoir RT. Thanks for the memories!

ano ba yan... pati RT.

can't help the nostalgia... 24 K friday (salamat sa instant level 42 request, martin gil... wherever you are), jeremiah, jr. (who once put me on air for no good reason), get up and go show with joe schmoe and ultima (and principal hemorrhoid hehehe). eric caine, vince st. price, boo kyler (di ko na naabutan yung panahon ni north andrew but i heard he was great)... RT did have THE best DJ's, hands down

one 24 K friday, joe schmoe was playing the g(/j?)erry paraiso version of you won't see me crying. i called to ask kung sino yung babaeng kumakanta and joe schmoe said he won't tell. but he was kidding after all so sinabi nya rin

al w. leader and joey don... heard about them from my aunt who loooooooves jeremiah, jr.

'97 pala iba na may-ari ng RT... kaya pala. i do remember noticing that they were getting too pop during that time.

jay p: V.O. ng citylite dati? during which CT phase? hindi naman si Sir Mano, no? Smooth Jazz na ata sila nun.

did george boone work with kool?
    Last edited by dindi; Dec 20, 2006 at 06:26 PM.

Gerry Paraiso is the same composer of YOU made famous by Basil Valdez. The late Paraiso (he passed away 2 years ago) is one of the best composers of his time and it's unfortunate he's now gone. I forgot Paraiso's partner in "You Won't See Me Crying," I had the 45 rpm record back in the 80's but it got lost somewhere.

George Boone is the brains behind hit stations KISS-FM, ZOO 101.9 and KOOL 106. He was the primary jock of DWLS-FM, handling the sign-on slot from 6AM-9AM. His timeslot was the only one who broke DWLL's stranglehold at the ratings game - his program was #1 overall back then. He was last heard with RJ 100 where his own timeslot went #1 in the recent Radio Research Council surveys, overcoming Love Radio, I-FM, Yes-FM and DWRR.

^ lenny castillo

Pinky Aseron was the voice over of City 88.3 during the 80's. As for the male jock, what's Mano's monicker?

Bingo! Lenny Castillo was Paraiso's partner in You Won't See Me Crying. Somehow, I prefer the original compared to the Passage version.

But that's just me...:-)

^^^ ah, Ma'am Pinky who eventually became the SM. God, her voice is beautiful! nice to hear her doing V.O. work connected to jazz again. teka, she did start in radio as a newscaster for RT, too, didn't she? i don't know what Mano's air name was. not even sure if he actually did boardwork for CT. baka hindi.

were you able to listen to Joe Schmoe's last show? some of the RT old-timers were there. May was. what was her air name? di ko na rin sya naabutan.

nah, it's not just you. i like the original much better, too

Pinky Aseron is the elder sister of my batchmate in high school so I was able to get to know her personally. She started as a newcaster with RT but became immensely popular when she moved to KISS-FM as one of KISS' original lady newscasters (alongside an equally popular LINDY of RT fame and the wife of Jerry Magnaye or Jeremiah Jr). After KISS, she moved to the Francis Lumen-managed CT 88.3 and eventually became Station Manager.

May was the newcaster of RT back in the halcyon days of North Andrew. I would rank her as the best ever radio newscaster in FM radio history bar none. Lindy would be second best in my list.

But what got me amazed me with May was how she avoided becoming North's foil in his radio program. She was the only person capable of mixing it up with North and got a few licks at North once in awhile. Terrific morning show it was really. I remember VJ Nonie of Channel V fame guesting in North's program and immediately after introducing Nonie, North said: "Ok Nonie, first question, will you marry me?" Such wit!

May used her own name while broadcasting Dindi. She now does the VO work for Joey 92.3. North is with MTV Philippines, managed by Lumen.

^ and she used to do VO work for lifestyle network, too, right? si lily na ba yung ngayon (another RT alumna)?

Page 1 of 63 1 2 11 51 ... Last