PEx Highlights

Show Me Your EDM Teeths!

In this week's episode of SMYT, Chelsey and Merly poke fun at artistas who may have gone too far by releasing albums to boost their careers.

read more

5 Biggest Impressions in UAAP Volleyball

An even better Alyssa Valdez, the struggling Lady Bulldogs and UST's wonderkid. Find out other big impressions in week 1 of UAAP Volleyball here!

read more

FEATURE: BasketBros: The Second Edition

We were surprised at the interest generated by last week's special PBA feature on BasketBros. So we decided to put up a Part 2. Read it here!

read more

REVIEW: Past Tense

Our reviewer thinks Past Tense is a step down from KimXi's previous outing, Bride for Rent. Read the full review here!

read more

PHOTOS: Paul Lee Saves the Day for RoS

Paul Lee nailed a crucial three-pointer plus two pressure packed free throws to lead his team to victory over the NLEX Road Warriors, 95-93.

read more

PHOTOS: Purefoods Survive Kia Scare

After trailing for most of the game, Purefoods mounted a big fourth quarter-comeback to defeat Manny Pacquiao's Kia Sorento, 88-77.

read more

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
    EntrePinoy

How much do College Professors make?

I'm doing some research for http://pinoyexchange.com/forums/show...php?p=15780657

I'd like to know the following:

1) Average salary for college professors with 10 years+ experience?
    2) How many students per professor is the normal ratio?
    3) Average salary for college administrators
    4) What NATIONAL testing standards are available for liberal arts colleges?

I'd appreciate any and all related input.

Thanks!

money in the form of salaries or babies?

EntrePinoy
    Bump for info. Thanks!

Banned by Admin
    ^^It depends upon your Level of Entry and on the college you want
    to teach? Iba-iba kasi ang rate eh.

Are you planning to be one?

Banned by Admin
    ^^Ref item #2... again it depends on the college, on the school and on
    the subject you are teaching.

At PLM, normal instructor to student ratio in the college of engineering (ChE)
    is 20:1.

at the UP, the UP president gets 35,000 a month basic. just imagine...

Banned by Admin
    ^^ Nyek!!! I would rather be in the industry than to be a UP President.

Is that true, mac?

^ Well...it is a school subsidized by the government after all... The President of the Phlippines' basic salary, if I am not mistaken, is P40K a month. (Nasa constitution to, diba?) Pero ang non-taxable benefits/ allowance siguro is 500K

Anyway, regarding the question, I believe unversity professors are paid on the number of units they teach per sem, their educational attainment (MBA, PhD) and their experience in the industry (if they are industry practitioners and are thinking of becoming part-time teachers teaching subjects relating to their industry. A different rate also applies to a full-time faculty, I think.) and whether they are prominent in their industry (i.e. have they got their work/research published in their industry journals, newsletters etc. Mostly for the science/engineering community ata eto, eh...).

Regarding student-teacher ratio, it really depends. I came from a private co-ed university and there were subjects that I took wherein there were 70 of us in a class (2 sections were combined and the lessons were held in one big-@ss lecture hall. Good thing the subject was just Rizal Studies and not any of my business subjects ) and there was a class where there were only 15 of us. Of course I liked the smaller class better. It was waaay easier to shine there

EntrePinoy
    Quote Originally Posted by la_flash
    ^^It depends upon your Level of Entry and on the college you want
    to teach? Iba-iba kasi ang rate eh.

Are you planning to be one?
    I plan to HIRE professors for a new college I'm planning. I'm NOT a professor myself.

Banned by Admin
    Hey cashwriters,

What kind of college is this?

The best way to get info is to ask Pinoy teachers around. But like what the others have already said, it really depends on where one teaches. La Salle and Ateneo professors, for examples, are paid a lot more than their counterparts in UST and UP-Diliman.

are you aware of the degree requirements and assignations for teachers?

a teacher for undergraduates must have a masteral degree (UP gives you a five-year deadline for getting one). a teacher in masteral programs has to have a PhD.

new teachers can teach basic subjects for majors and related but only experienced lecturers can teach basic courses for the general studentry. you have to be at least an assistant professor to teach higher subjects. a full college professor is qualified to teach any subject in that college.

a university professor (i think right now UP has five) is qualified to teach in any college.

EntrePinoy
    Quote Originally Posted by SUX2BÜ
    Hey cashwriters,

What kind of college is this?

The best way to get info is to ask Pinoy teachers around. But like what the others have already said, it really depends on where one teaches. La Salle and Ateneo professors, for examples, are paid a lot more than their counterparts in UST and UP-Diliman.

I'm looking at building a free college for students from underprivileged backgrounds who wish to improve themselves and their families through education. I'd like to organize a 4 year college that awards degrees in English and other communication-related degrees since English proficiency in the Philippines is getting quite deplorable. We'd like to produce graduates with world class communication skills.

The school will be funded by myself and a few friends. I don't expect the school to be asking for money from other institutions or the government.

Banned by Admin
    Are you in contact with CHED now? I'm just wondering why not just open up a language school/academy instead, but anyway...

Private schools have to apply for permit from CHED to open a course, and they have to apply for recognition of their programs in order to be allowed to graduate their students. Recognition of programs is granted if the institutions have fully complied the minimum requirements prescribed by CHED (This includes what mac_bolan00 posted about degree requirements and assignations for teachers). With regard to awarding of certificate, diploma or degree to students, this is done only if all academic requirements have satisfactorily been completed by the students. After verification of the information, the CHED issues a "Special Order" number which is noted in the student's transcript of records.

In the case of CHED-supervised institutions and local universities and colleges, the CHED monitors the implementation of policies, rules and standards. These institutions have to secure authority from CHED if they want to open a course. If their program offerings have the necessary authority from CHED (or DECS previously), their graduates are automatically recognized.

From its Handbook on Degrees, Diplomas, and Other Certificates

Banned by Admin
    ^^ That's good.

Please also consider improving skills in mathematics and in sciences.

Also, why not train elementary and secondary school teachers?

EntrePinoy
    Please post a link so I can get more info. Thanks for the very informative post. Good place to start.

Are you in contact with CHED now? I'm just wondering why not just open up a language school/academy instead, but anyway...

Private schools have to apply for permit from CHED to open a course, and they have to apply for recognition of their programs in order to be allowed to graduate their students. Recognition of programs is granted if the institutions have fully complied the minimum requirements prescribed by CHED (This includes what mac_bolan00 posted about degree requirements and assignations for teachers). With regard to awarding of certificate, diploma or degree to students, this is done only if all academic requirements have satisfactorily been completed by the students. After verification of the information, the CHED issues a "Special Order" number which is noted in the student's transcript of records.

In the case of CHED-supervised institutions and local universities and colleges, the CHED monitors the implementation of policies, rules and standards. These institutions have to secure authority from CHED if they want to open a course. If their program offerings have the necessary authority from CHED (or DECS previously), their graduates are automatically recognized.

From its Handbook on Degrees, Diplomas, and Other Certificates

16. Advertisement

EntrePinoy
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of opening a free English language school/academy as opposed to a free college dedicated to English language and communication degrees?

my friend, education is a very valuable service. i suggest you reconsider offering it free. our govenment already spends billions every year to give grunts cheap education. i don't think that's the job of private individuals.

EntrePinoy
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_bolan00
    my friend, education is a very valuable service. i suggest you reconsider offering it free. our govenment already spends billions every year to give grunts cheap education. i don't think that's the job of private individuals.
    No, it's okay. Thanks for the advice though. It's just my own small personal way of trying to help out with the many problems our society is facing. Besides, my late mother was dirt poor but very ambitious. She scraped out a living working odd jobs and getting scholarships so she can go to college, get employed, and help the rest of her family out of poverty. I want to help people who share my mother's attitude with a free college education so as to help them help themselves. It is because of HER sacrifices that I've achieved whatever I've achieved and this free college project is my way of showing my gratitude to her memory.

Banned by Admin
    I wish I were in the Philippines to help you out. One of my plans is to go back to the Philippines and apply what I've learned from teaching ESL, but I don't know how soon that's going to be. Anyway, if you need some help with ESL/EFL curriculum design, methods, or approaches, I will be willing to take part.

One of the advantages of a language school, if I am not mistaken, is that you only have to deal minimally with government agencies (save for SEC for incorporation or probably DepEd/CHED for license to operate and you're all set), but take this with a grain of salt. But I'm sure as hell that with a language institute, you will be teaching your students ESL (English as a second language), ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) or EFL (English as a foreign language), which will be based on the curriculum designed by your school and not on a template created by a government agency. These courses are way different than what they teach at colleges and universities. Take a language course at Alliance Française or Instituto Cervantes as an example and compare that to a Language 101 course offered by a Philippine college or university; while language schools teach and immerse their students to communicate using the target language effectively, colleges and universities only tend to focus more on grammar and that's just about it.

For more info re: establishing schools, please check the DepEd and CHED sites.

EntrePinoy
    Thanks so much! Much appreciated! I'll definitely go over the differences with my partners and map it out from there. I appreciate your help! Thanks again

I wish I were in the Philippines to help you out. One of my plans is to go back to the Philippines and apply what I've learned from teaching ESL, but I don't know how soon that's going to be. Anyway, if you need some help with ESL/EFL curriculum design, methods, or approaches, I will be willing to take part.

One of the advantages of a language school, if I am not mistaken, is that you only have to deal minimally with government agencies (save for SEC for incorporation or probably DepEd/CHED for license to operate and you're all set), but take this with a grain of salt. But I'm sure as hell that with a language institute, you will be teaching your students ESL (English as a second language), ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) or EFL (English as a foreign language), which will be based on the curriculum designed by your school and not on a template created by a government agency. These courses are way different than what they teach at colleges and universities. Take a language course at Alliance Française or Instituto Cervantes as an example and compare that to a Language 101 course offered by a Philippine college or university; while language schools teach and immerse their students to communicate using the target language effectively, colleges and universities only tend to focus more on grammar and that's just about it.

For more info re: establishing schools, please check the DepEd and CHED sites.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast