PEx Highlights

PROMO: Past Tense

Join the promo and get a chance to win block screening tickets to Past Tense!

read more

10 Things to Watch Out for in UAAP Volleyball

We list down 10 things to look forward to this season from the Miefer Fever to EJ Laure and Jaja Santiago's crucial role for their respective teams!

read more

REVIEW: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

It feels forced and stretched. But hey, it's still Mockingjay. Check out our full review here!

read more

PHOTOS: Paul Lee Saves the Day for RoS

Paul Lee nailed a crucial three-pointer plus two pressure packed free throws to lead his team to victory over the NLEX Road Warriors, 95-93.

read more

PHOTOS: Beermen Blasts Batang Pier

The San Miguel Beermen put on a demolition job against the GlobalPort Batang Pier, winning by a huge margin, 95-69.

read more

FEATURE: BasketBros: PBA's Best Buddies

We take a look at twelve couples who have formed relationships like real life brothers. Meet our BasketBros!

read more

Gumagana ba talaga cellphone IMEI blocking by the NTC?

I just recently lost my phone. I already had my Globe postpaid SIM terminated.

Problem is with the phone itself. Bought it as a separate unit so Globe cannot help me block it. I'm on my own here.

Pwedeng pabayaan ko na din lang and just let the new user have fun with it (a Nokia 6260), pero parang di rin tama e. I have to have my revenge. Seriously, I just think its the right thing to do.

Nakaranas na din ba kayo magpa-block ng lost celfon sa Smart/Globe/Sun/NTC? Is it really effective? I know that they blacklist the phone's IMEI (serial number) when it tries to get a signal. But i'm thinking all it takes is just one Greenhills hack and my trip to the NTC will be wasted.

Any inputs?

i had a friend na nawalan ng Smart Amazing phone, napa block naman nya sa NTC, then after some months eh tinawagan sya ng NTC at sabi nadetect nila yung phone nya, tapos binigay ng NTC yung number ng phone nyang nawala. natawagan naman nya yung nakabili ng nakaw, sabi nga eh nabili daw nya yun sa greenhills, eh hindi rin naman magamit nakabili kaya binayaran na lang nila ng 2k para isoli sa kanya.

pero i think mahirap i hack a phone na yun kasi naghanap din yung nakabili ng mag u-unlock eh wala syang nakita, ewan ko na lang yung nokia.

guy nxt door
    yung sa kabarkada ko pinablock nya rin sa ntc yung phone nya na nanakaw sa kanya kaso walang update galing sa ntc na nablock na. pano nga naman masisiguradong nablock na siya, basta ang sinabi lang daw eh after 2 weeks eh mabblock na daw yung phone,. ang comment ko lang dun eh bakit parang wala man lang feedback sayo yung ntc about dun sa pinablock mong phone?

Nabubuksan din sa Greenhills yung mga units na blocked na ng NTC.
    Yung taga-NTC na mismo yung nagsabi.

guy nxt door
    Quote Originally Posted by aze24
    Nabubuksan din sa Greenhills yung mga units na blocked na ng NTC.
    Yung taga-NTC na mismo yung nagsabi.
    talaga yung taga NTC mismo ang nagsabi nun? eh bakit pa pinapablock dun kung wala rin naman palang kwenta?

diyan makikita na walang kwenta ang batas dito sa Pilipinas..

Nanakawan na rin ako ng cellphone dati. Di natuloy pagpunta ko sa Ntc.

Natuto na ako, pag lumalabas ako, kahit sa mall pa punta ko, bitbit ko na lang Nokia 8250 ko (na P1,000 na lang siguro halaga ngayon).

Dami ko pa rin nakikitang nagtetext ng mga high end phones, sa jeep man o kahit sa kalye.

Mainit talaga sa mga magnanakaw ang cellphone dahil madaling ibenta.

Sa bahay lang ligtas ang mga mamahaling cellphone. Pag nagcocommute talagang malaki tsansang mawala ito.

pareho pala tayo ng phone 8250 dito sa malaysia eh 2nd phone ko sya, ang 1st phone ko eh w810i, pag uwi ko ng pinas uunahan ko na magnanakaw, ibebenta ko na yung w810i ko at 8250 ko na puro mighty bond na lang dadalhin ko

tingin ko hindi dahil sa batas kundi sa technology mismo.kahit anong block gawin ng NTC kung naaoutsmart naman sila ng mga technicians like changing IMEI's,which is the so-called "openline"..e wala talaga.superimpossible.

pero sa ngayon,medyo may konting development.the new phones like the nokia n-series,pag locked sa Smart or Globe,di maoopenline kahit pa sa greenhills,di kaya.so pag nablock ng Smart or Globe,goodbye na.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_wafu
    talaga yung taga NTC mismo ang nagsabi nun? eh bakit pa pinapablock dun kung wala rin naman palang kwenta?
    yup, sila mismo at dun pa sa office ng OSPAC.
    tama yung sinabi ni ajoyride, technology yung makakagawa nun.

the globe customer representative once told me na pag na-block na nila yung unit ang pwede gawin na *** dun ng nagnakaw/nkakuha ng unit ay i-"chop-chop" yung mga parts.

well, i haven't had any update since kung anu na nangyari sa N66 ko.

thanks for the replies.

i guess i will save myself the trouble of a trip to the NTC, and just put the whole thing to rest na din.

bahala na sa kanya (kung sino man yon) si Lord.

乀(◐‿ ◐乀)
    OT:
    gamit ka ng blackberry phones para hindi pwedeng i-unblock. (hindi nga ba pwede?) hehehehe!

The Problem of Mobile Phone Theft
    by: Jerry Liao

Last June 21, 2006, I drop by GMA7s radio station DZBB to return Arnold Clavio’s notebook computer. Arnold thanked me on air for deleting 144 viruses found in his computer. And during this time, Arnold and Ms. Ali Sotto asked me my opinion on how to stop or at least minimize the rising incidents of mobile phone theft.

Phone theft is rampant not only in the Philippines but all over the world. Cellphone thieves not only will take the phone but more often than not, will even take the owner’s life as well. Perhaps to prevent any more scuffles or to prevent any witnesses, robbers will kill their victims and run away with their mobile phones. Hopes and dreams shattered for a measly mobile phone.

We often hear people advise us to simply give over the phone if confronted, but it’s easier said than done. Most Filipinos treasure their phones so much not because of what it brings to them but because it requires them to save their hard-earned money to buy these phones. That is why giving them up is not that easy. They will try to protect their phones even if it will cost them their lives.

So going back to the question: How can we stop or at least minimize the rising incidents of phone theft? My answer is simple: Render the phone useless. How can this be done? There are a lot of ways. Remember, the purpose is to minimize phone theft. Make it hard for thieves to benefit from the stolen phone - by rendering the stolen phone unusable. Nobody will buy a phone that is not working. It’s as simple as that.

The most common solution provided to us by government, mobile manufacturers and telecom providers is to report to them the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) or the serial number of our phone. They said that they can block the phone using its IMEI and will render it useless. Of course, all of us know that this is not true since phone thieves with the help of their knowledgeable friends will simply change the IMEI number of the phone and the phone will work again.

Now let us examine the technologies available worldwide and what other countries are doing to render a phone useless:

1. There is a technology developed by the University of California, US, which enables operators to “blow up” mobiles after they have been stolen. Text message “bombs”, in which a stolen phone is bombarded with enough SMS text messages to cause the phone to shut itself down disabling stolen handsets.

2. A programmable chip designed by US chipmaker Xilinx that allows mobile phone operators to remotely disable handsets with a password given to them by the owner of the stolen phone. If a phone is stolen, the owner can phone up their operator, give a code and make sure the handset is useless to the thief.

3. Another technology called Spreadtrum which was developed by Hi-Tech Wealth can automatically alert the police and report the current status of the cell phone as well as its location if the phone is stolen.

4. A biometric solution using iris technology. It’s a theft prevention mechanism by identifying and verifying the owner’s iris. The iris scanned should match the owner’s iris before the phone starts working.

These are just some of the technology available, am sure there are still many out there. But what I am trying to emphasize here is that technology itself can be used to render a phone useless. And I don’t know why none of these are use to protect our consumers from phone theft.

Authorities may say that the available technology are expensive and if implemented might increase the cost of mobile phones. OK. Let me give you my idea that will not cost you a single cent to implement - it simply requires will and determination. So read on:

The heart of our mobile phone is the SIM card or the Subscriber Identity Module card. Without the SIM card, the phone is like a car without gas. This removable card is the chip inside a GSM phone with information such as the user’s phone number, phone book as well as other information related to the subscriber. So I believe that the solution to this problem can be done by adding more power to our SIM cards.

So what I’m suggesting is for the telecom providers to include the phones IMEI number as part of the information stored in SIM cards. Now, everytime a user open his/her mobile phone, the very first thing the SIM card should do is to compare the IMEI number stored inside the SIM with the phones IMEI number. If it’s a match, then the user can start using his/her phone. If not, the phone will not work.

Telecom provider should have a database of registered mobile numbers with their matching registered IMEI numbers. This is because SIM cards can also be manipulated. If phone thieves can change IMEI numbers on the phone, they can also manipulate the information stored inside the SIM card. Thieves can manipulate the SIM card and change the IMEI on the SIM to match the phone’s IMEI number. So here’s what the telecom provider should do:

Telecom provider can also program their SIM to ask the phone to send the IMEI number of the phone and the IMEI number on the SIM back to them and make a comparison if it matches the registered records they have on their database. This can be done once a month or once every two weeks. If a match is not found, then the telecom provider can either block the SIM, block the phone or block them both.

If a legitimate mobile phone owner wants to use his/her SIM to more than one phone, users will be required to visit a telecom center to register his/her phone with their SIM. The IMEI number of the new phone should be recorded and be written inside the SIM. A bit tedious but we should all do it if we want to stop phone theft.

Another change is telecom providers will only sell prepaid SIM cards to authorized SIM resellers and stop making SIM cards a commodity. SIM cards should not be treated as candies where it can be bought from anywhere and can be sold by anyone. Phone credits/loads can be sold by anyone but not the SIM cards. Prepaid SIM cards should follow the same procedure of Postpaid SIM cards except that the credits will be left to the consumers’ decision. Each SIM should be associated with an owner or a name. If we do this, we will be hitting two birds with one stone. We minimize phone theft, and we minimize text spams.

If this suggestion requires the cooperation of mobile handset manufacturers, then let us get their cooperation. Both the manufacturers and the providers are making billions in this mobile business, I think this is just a little sacrifice for them. If you guys value your customers, then I suggest you do this sacrifice to protect them.

As for the consumers, I strongly believe that they will be more than willing to cooperate. They won’t mind trooping to your centers and have their phones registered. I will even dare say that they will be more than willing to shelve out a little fee for this procedure if it will give them security.

As they all say, if there’s a will - there’s a way. Send me your suggestions my dear readers if you have any idea on how to help solve this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jisc
    pareho pala tayo ng phone 8250 dito sa malaysia eh 2nd phone ko sya, ang 1st phone ko eh w810i, pag uwi ko ng pinas uunahan ko na magnanakaw, ibebenta ko na yung w810i ko at 8250 ko na puro mighty bond na lang dadalhin ko
    Ayos Maniwala ka, may mga magnanakaw dito na sa sobrang hayok sa pera ay kahit lumang telepono ay papatulan. Pero bigay mo na lang, mas importante pa buhay natin kaysa sa cellphone.

Minsan nga naiisip kong bumili ng dummy unit (yung ginagamit nilang display sa mga cellphone shops). Yun talaga, di nila magagamit

Madaming modus operandi mga magnanakaw dito. Meron mga magkukunwaring nangangailangan ng tulong ( lalo na sa mga mall). Meron mga magkukunwaring may dumi t-shirt mo at kung anu-ano pa.

Being a good samaritan here in the Philippines can cost you either your belongings ..or even your life. Better to just walk away, let the police handle them.

16. Advertisement

guy nxt door
    ^hehehe! oo nga kahit nokia5110 pa yan eh papatulan pa rin yan wahahhaa! kala ko talaga dati totoong mabblock yung phone kapag nireport mo sa ntc yung imei number ng nawala mong phone. ngayon ko lang nalaman na kahit ipablock mo sya sa ntc eh magagamit pa rin. parang wala rin talagang kwenta kung magpunta ka pa ng ntc at magpablock ng phone.

chrisboy pre ayus *** yan, may N70 ka na naman eh hehe. Bagong ipapangnakaw (knock on wood) hehe

Kayang palitan ang IMEI ng phones. Hehe! Daming unlocking softwares diyan.

Wow! Talagang nahanap ng NTC ang phone niya? Nawala din ang phone ko na Samsung Galaxy Grand at pumunta na rin ako sa NTC kahapon. Hopefully after 2 to 3 weeks mablock nila. At sana mahanap nila. :'(

So wala palang silbi na ipa-block sa NTC ang phone dahil nandiyan rin naman ang Greenhills.