PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: DLSU Completes Comeback Win vs UE

Prince Rivero came up big in the clutch, scoring two crucial baskets to help DLSU complete comeback bid over UE, 60-58

read more

The Unique Heroes of Marvel's Guardians

Know more about Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Groot and Rocket.

read more

Review: Hercules

Bordering on ridiculous, Dwayne Johnson delivers and Hercules is a fun and entertaining ride.

read more

PHOTOS: Cagayan upsets Army

Cagayan Valley Rising Sun hands Philippine Army its first loss through 4 sets, 27-25, 20-25, 25-23, 25-22

read more

UAAP Basketball Power Rankings: Week 2

Are the Blue Eagles back on top again? Check out this week's PEx UAAP Season 77 Basketball Power Rankings.

read more

Prepare to Go Into the Storm

From New Line Cinema, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, comes the tornado disaster film Into the Storm.

read more

Page 1 of 84 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast

Football IN THE PHILIPPINES...May pagasa pa kayang sumikat like BASKETBALL

The World is going CRAZY over SOCCER and every 4 years all things are put to a grinding halt just to watch the WORLD CUP...dubbbed the WORLD GAME. Pero dito sa ating mahal na bayan, nilalangaw ang larong ito. BAKETT?

If ever there is one game we can excell and go toe-to-toe with other countries, it is SOCCER. This is one sport where the adage " height is might" is not applicable... where speed and agility is second nature to filipinos small physical stature thus the possibility to excell.. and we have it in abundance.

The Japanese and Koreans have been enjoying success in this sport. Why not us. Basketball obviously is our #1 sport but we must look beyond that, napagiiwanan na talaga tayo because of our preference to this American sport. Time to shift our attention to the sport loved and watched by millions of fanatics - Soccer. What do you think.

U Want Somma Dis?
    The first step is to stop calling it "soccer"...

it's football...

^^ i second the motion. its football

yeah, it's football. willkommen zum fussball!

first of all, i love basketball, i love watching it, i play it once in a while.
    but dapat magising na ang pinoy na malabo talaga tayong mag excel sa sport na ito in the international level. yes we might have the skills, but this is the sport that requires height na wala tayo.
    im not saying na lets stop playing the sport at all, its just lets be more in touch with reality, lets focus more sa ibang sports na mas malaki yung chances natin manalo.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Clean Living : Football, not basketball, best suited for Filipinos

First posted 03:13am (Mla time) June 09, 2006
    By Manolo Iñigo
    Inquirer

Editor's Note: Published on page A30 of the June 9, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

THE spectacular month-long World Cup soccer tournament gets going in Germany today. Like the Olympics, the World Cup is held once every four years and attracts millions of followers who are addicted to it.

Still, I find it surprising why many Filipinos are not interested in it. Most people I know are more interested in the National Basketball Association (NBA) finals pitting the Miami Heat against the Dallas Mavericks. Not many are concerned with the outcome of the World Cup.

Our obsession with basketball is a perpetual puzzle. Filipinos have always had a passion for the dash-and-dribble game, a passion which even the legendary Carlos Loyzaga, the greatest Filipino basketball player of all time, once said was wrong “because there are other sports where the Filipino athletes have a better chance of winning honors.”

By other sports, the now Australia-based Loyzaga probably meant those disciplines where height is not an advantage, including soccer (where his late father, Joaquin Loyzaga, was a many-time member of the Philippine team in the old Far Eastern Games), boxing, taekwondo, archery and billiards, bowling and chess if ever these last three events are included in the Olympic menu.

The Philippines used to be a soccer power in Asia during the pre-war years, finishing as perennial champions in the biennial Far Eastern Games which was launched in Manila in 1913. The Filipinos emerged champions.

Among those who played for the country and became household names were Joaquin Loyzaga; Joaquin Lopez, the Letran Hall of Famer who played the longest (seven times) in the FE Games from 1913 to 1925; Jesus Cacho of Cacho Hermanos Printing Press; Dr. Jose Genato, grandfather of Maggie Henson, wife of Star columnist and TV analyst Quinito Henson; Zamboanga business magnate Celso Lobregat; former Sen. Lorenzo Tañada Sr., who was an outstanding goalie from the University of the Philippines; Ildefonso Tronqued; Sebastian Ugarte, after whom the Ugarte Football Field in Makati City was named; and Celestino Martinez Sr., brother of basketball great Primitivo “Tibing” Martinez and father of Congressman Celestino Martinez of Cebu.

Why soccer?

As former Philippine Olympic Committee president, retired Col. Julian Malonso, said, “In soccer, Filipinos can excel better because of their courage and the ball is on the ground. Basketball is not the sport for the Filipinos because height counts much. We should concentrate more on sports where height is not an advantage. Never mind basketball. Football is best suited for us.”

Because Filipinos are living in the "Enchanted Kingdom". Kita n'yo, kahit unano nagba-basketball. I don't want to call it "STUPIDITY", maraming magagalit!

with the world cup on pay per view?

asa pa.

Very difficult, but it is possible.

There was an unusual amount of interest in football (unusual for our standards) in the recently concluded SEA games..simply because it was held here, the team was the best we had ever fielded in years, and the presence of two Chelsea reserves on the lineup. So some hope is there.

IN perspective, it will be hard for football to take off in this country when our television is saturated with basketball. It is available on local channels, and along with **** fighting, billiards, and boxing, is the only real sport the average filipino can follow. This annoys me because the type of basketball we see on tv is really third rate. Our so called pros, play like amateurs. We have kids idolizing FilAms who could not even make it as decent D1 college players abroad...that is really sad.

Exposure to soccer is very low in this country. IN addition, football belongs to a very specific niche market. Those who know of the game, often deride it as the sport for the upper class, pLayed by either cono kids in their country clubs, or hardcore football fans in the southern province. The fact that the World Cup is only available to cable subscribers exacerbates the situation-no exposure and is available for people who can afford to pay the cover charge at bars televising the game and subscription fees.

It is all about money. This country needs a benefactor who can pump in cash into training facilities (perhaps a world class football academy like the ones found in the Netherlands, Ivory Coast and France), coaching, tv rights, and exposure. THis person must also be willing to take a loss.

Once money starts pouring into soccer, and we somehow do well abroad, I am pretty sure the country will catch on to the fever. We had the billiards bandwagon..now it is boxing...with support and money, I am hopeful that we could have a footballing craze in the near future.

SOCCER IN THE PHILIPPINES...May pagasa pa kayang sumikat like BASKETBALL

nasa mga namumuno yan.

ano ba naman kung pondohan muna ng govt ang NBN-4 para sa free world cup viewing , na kahit si GMA na ang game comentator (to gain positive media exposure ) eh di biglang bulusok pataas yung popularity rating nya

yep, exposure to the game is the first step.

and try kicking any soccer ball and see how it feels

pwede yan

i think height is also important in footbal/soccer since alot of the good players are tall(crouch, C.ronaldo, shevchenko etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by elyserva
    Because Filipinos are living in the "Enchanted Kingdom". Kita n'yo, kahit unano nagba-basketball. I don't want to call it "STUPIDITY", maraming magagalit!
    ay sinabi mo, dun lang sa kabiling thread nung sinabi ko na hindi tayo mananalo sa basketball dahil maliliit tayo, may nagalit agad!

C_ronaldo7 : Pele, considered the one of greatest football playerof all time, is only 5'7". Typical height ng pinoy! In this sport, being tall is not an advantage.

i think height is also important in footbal/soccer since alot of the good players are tall(crouch, C.ronaldo, shevchenko etc.)
    your argument broke down on the bolded part

Quote Originally Posted by C_ronaldo7
    we have players who can be as stronger and even taller than ronaldo, as tall as and quick as crouch (but not as slim as he is) at mas magulang pa sa kanila.

but in basketball you will need a quick 6 foot 10 or above frontcourt players who are quick and strong enough to compete in world class games. wala tayong mga ganun and we only have one seven footer in EJ Feihl, salubong pa ang mga tuhod.

16. Advertisement

U Want Somma Dis?
    Quote Originally Posted by C_ronaldo7
    Let's see...

Pele 5ft 7in, Maradona 5 ft 8 and most of the Argentinian greats, Ronaldinho 5 10, Michael Owen 5 ft 8, Shaun Wright-Phillips 5 ft 6, Claude Makelele 5 ft 7, Roberto Carlos 5 ft 6, Cafu 5 ft 6, Romario 5 ft 6, Bebeto 5 ft 9...

...the list goes on.

The strike partnership for the world cup 94 champions brazil were Bebeto and Romario... Pele holds the record for most world cup goals. Crouch has yet to score in a world cup. Cristiano Ronaldo has yet to even make an assist let alone a goal, Ruud Van Nistelrooy hasn't scored, either. Thierry Henry hasn't scored a World Cup goal in 8 years.

In football, skill is more important than height. you can be the best dribbler in the world but you won't be able to drive past a 7 foot center. But you can be 5 ft 1 and score a goal against a 12 foot goalkeeper, if you can find one, that is...
    Last edited by bludwid; Jun 15, 2006 at 05:36 PM.

"may pag-asa?" yes, of course.
    What we need is more exposure for the masses to know the sport.
    Heck, you don't even hear a word from the local TV news or even a pic of yesterday's World Cup match in the newspaper.
    Almost anyone in the world (counting out some yanks) will be surprised to learn that a great number of our population (Manila specifically) doesn't have a clue about football.
    I live in Malate and Koreans flocked the Koreans establishments to watch their country's first match in the World Cup and the people here don't have a clue on what's going on....why so many Koreans? why everyone is in red and what are those long hotdog-like things they're carrying? (Naglabasan lang sila para makalimos or umasist sa parking for tips.)
    Manila, with it's residents is also a perfect breeding ground for football heroes... too bad they don't know the sport... Imagine these tambays playing and honing their skills in football. Maybe out of their huge, huge numbers, they can produce a Ronaldinho.

and... not just the poor...a number of the middle/upper class also need some sort of "indocrination" from what the American media had "taught" us about "soccer".
    A lot are still blind that it is a world game... a lot still think it is some "weenie" sport that kids play ... the whole soccer mom story... saying this without even having any full knowledge about the game.
    Some of my friends who will instantly say "it's just some game that only Europians go gaga about"... or from my flip friends in california: "ah only Mexicans play Soccer here".

Schools also plays a part. A never had a substancial lesson about football in grade school or highschool... the nearest thing we had was kicking the ball and running for the bases, like in Baseball.

FOOTBALL RENAISSANCE IS WHAT WE NEED. Australia just did that when they introduced the A-Leauge.

As Pete Dunham said to Matt Buckner (green street)...
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b159/neurowing/MISC/greenstreet_stopsayinsoca.png
    "For F**k's sake... STOP SAYING SOCCER!!"
    Last edited by gamera3; Jun 15, 2006 at 07:30 PM. Reason: some additions

U Want Somma Dis?
    it's "fer Fook's sakes...stop sayin' socca' or i'll do yer head in...!"

hehehehe...

It's true. I think there was a thread about this last year. The answer is always "grassroots".

I'd love to be still alive when the day comes and Pinoys realize they're too short for basketball, too small-boned for the NFL, and too f*cking tropical for ice hockey.

I'm no basketball-hater. In fact, I played varsity basketball PAYA and PRISAA and LSAL during my time. I may not be a good football player, but I know it's the sport we should all be enjoying.

Our sporting associations should realize this. The Philippine football association (or whatever it's exactly called) is older than the Brazilian one, yet our international record is embarrassing. We are the oldest in Asia. Me and my friends googled it just for fun a few days ago. Our worst loss? 13-0 to Japan. We never even bother to go to WC qualifying.

Pitiful, huh?

With all the brouhaha over this verrrry popular sport, me also dreams that one day we would see the PHILIPPINE FLAG hanging/waving inside the Stadium as one of the 32 or so countries vying for the WORLD CUP... then miraculously getting to the next round. What an overwhelming feeling it would be. It could even probably unite the factions that has been polarizing the nation. Just like when we all watched Manny Pacquiao beat the Mexican hero Eric Morales to a pulp on his last title bout. SOMEDAY, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by coZee
    first of all, i love basketball, i love watching it, i play it once in a while.
    but dapat magising na ang pinoy na malabo talaga tayong mag excel sa sport na ito in the international level. yes we might have the skills, but this is the sport that requires height na wala tayo.
    im not saying na lets stop playing the sport at all, its just lets be more in touch with reality, lets focus more sa ibang sports na mas malaki yung chances natin manalo.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Clean Living : Football, not basketball, best suited for Filipinos

First posted 03:13am (Mla time) June 09, 2006
    By Manolo Iñigo
    Inquirer

Editor's Note: Published on page A30 of the June 9, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

THE spectacular month-long World Cup soccer tournament gets going in Germany today. Like the Olympics, the World Cup is held once every four years and attracts millions of followers who are addicted to it.

Still, I find it surprising why many Filipinos are not interested in it. Most people I know are more interested in the National Basketball Association (NBA) finals pitting the Miami Heat against the Dallas Mavericks. Not many are concerned with the outcome of the World Cup.

Our obsession with basketball is a perpetual puzzle. Filipinos have always had a passion for the dash-and-dribble game, a passion which even the legendary Carlos Loyzaga, the greatest Filipino basketball player of all time, once said was wrong “because there are other sports where the Filipino athletes have a better chance of winning honors.”

By other sports, the now Australia-based Loyzaga probably meant those disciplines where height is not an advantage, including soccer (where his late father, Joaquin Loyzaga, was a many-time member of the Philippine team in the old Far Eastern Games), boxing, taekwondo, archery and billiards, bowling and chess if ever these last three events are included in the Olympic menu.

The Philippines used to be a soccer power in Asia during the pre-war years, finishing as perennial champions in the biennial Far Eastern Games which was launched in Manila in 1913. The Filipinos emerged champions.

Among those who played for the country and became household names were Joaquin Loyzaga; Joaquin Lopez, the Letran Hall of Famer who played the longest (seven times) in the FE Games from 1913 to 1925; Jesus Cacho of Cacho Hermanos Printing Press; Dr. Jose Genato, grandfather of Maggie Henson, wife of Star columnist and TV analyst Quinito Henson; Zamboanga business magnate Celso Lobregat; former Sen. Lorenzo Tañada Sr., who was an outstanding goalie from the University of the Philippines; Ildefonso Tronqued; Sebastian Ugarte, after whom the Ugarte Football Field in Makati City was named; and Celestino Martinez Sr., brother of basketball great Primitivo “Tibing” Martinez and father of Congressman Celestino Martinez of Cebu.

Why soccer?

As former Philippine Olympic Committee president, retired Col. Julian Malonso, said, “In soccer, Filipinos can excel better because of their courage and the ball is on the ground. Basketball is not the sport for the Filipinos because height counts much. We should concentrate more on sports where height is not an advantage. Never mind basketball. Football is best suited for us.”
    kala ko dati ako lang ang nangangarap na sumikat ang pinas sa soccer este football pala (ako kasi eversince nung bata pa ako mas nagustuhan ko talaga etong football kesa sa basketball). i'm looking forward to that day na sisikat din yan ,hope that we'll start this football indoctrination sa mga schools esp sa collegiate level hope that because of this world cup fever mabibigyan na rin ng focus yung mga football players like sa uaap/ncaa (kasi nga ang cream of the crop nga naman ay basketball. kaya hanggang wala pa ring team ang pinas sa world cup...

GO BRAZIL!!!

Page 1 of 84 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast