PEx Highlights

PROMO: The Book of Life

Join the promo and get a chance to win exclusive The Book of Life merchandise!

read more

Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter

Be in the know! Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter for community, movies, sports and promo updates.

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

PHOTOS: Aguilar, Ginebra Bully Talk N Text

Ginebra had no problems in their opening campaign after a 101-81 win over TNT. Japeth Aguilar proved to be too much for the Texters with his game-high 18pts, 18rebs and 5 blks.

read more

Top Female Celebrities

2 more weeks and she will officially be the IT GIRL of the month. Can her fans keep it up? Jane Oineza is still PEx's Top Female Celeb!

read more

UNILAB HR Manager has spoken -- UP and La Salle are the Top 2 in the Philippines

The top two schools in the Philippines are: UP and DLSU. This ranking further corroborates those of other well-established ranking institutions that indeed, UP and La Salle are the Philippines’ finest universities. Here's the excerpt of the interview:

This refers to the second column (of the article, Surviving the Hiring Test (March issue) that] indicates: “But some employers, like UNILAB, expressly prefer top universities in the belief that a good education translates into good employee performance.”

Do you regard certain schools as priority sources of possible entry-level employees? Which schools are in your priority list? Kindly list your top five choices in descending order:

Top Five Choices: UP, De La Salle, Ateneo, UA&P and San Beda.
    Educational background forms part of the basic qualifications. However, other key qualifications include (in order of priority): leadership skills, organizational fit, interpersonal skills, flexibility and adaptability, and, learning/capacity growth.

Please elaborate on your top three considerations. Why are these your most important considerations in hiring?

The reputation of the school is very important as th quality of education the student get is reflected in their proficiency in speaking, in writing, in the organization and logic of their thoughts, the way they carry themselves, their discipline towards work, their adaptability to chance, how they relates to different kinds of people, and how they strive to deliver excellent output.

The following are how we define the above considerations:
    (1.) Leadership skills – ability to drive a group's superior performance, plan and implement major change initiatives, and develop high potential people on the job; (2) Organizational Fit – extent to which the culture and values are consistent with the type of environment that will provide personal satisfaction to candidate; (3) Interpersonal skills- has genuine interest in working cooperatively with others, able to solicit input, can share leadership responsibilities, authority and information, able to build relationships with those who may help in achieving goals.

Between an honors graduate with no extracurricular activities and an average student with extracurricular activities, all other factors being equal, whom should you hire? Why?

Each should be assessed based on the five major qualifications discussed.

We will hire the average student with many extracurricular activities. We can train the average student to learn the skills needed on the job, but values such as teamwork, flexibility, leadership are difficult to develop in somebody who may have reached the highest honors without having to involve himself in things other than academics. A fresh graduate is a lot more than what his transcript of records indicate.

Ms. Elain Munsayac
    HR Manager, Unilab

Education:
    BS Psychology (UP Diliman)
    MBA (Tanaka Business School – Imperial College, University of London)

Those last two paragraphs are worth remembering.

What do you remember about it?

Banned by Admin
    Animo San Beda!!!

haha... yung mgagaling sa audit firms galing Beda yung mga yun... woo hoo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KuyaDanny
    Those last two paragraphs are worth remembering.
    Ahh... regardless of how you present the meaning of what it says, the ranking of most HRs stays: 1. U.P. 2. La Salle

Go UP Fight! Animo La Salle! The top 2 universities in the Philippines.

alam ko nakakaingit. pero wala sanang iiyak dyan..........

Another tampered article by the threadstarter Meque "Mr. Warwick" (aka gerry_lim). Can you please show us the link?

And by the way, we're still waiting for the link to the article that, according to you, ranks UP as one of the top 5 accounting schools in Asia (even ranking ahead of University of Tokyo according to you).

I can't believe you're still jealous of the Ateneo after more than 5 years of Ateneo bashing here in PEx. Mr. Vivid UPian, haven't you finished your degree in UP (or Warwick as you claim)? Too much PExing and not studying makes Meque (aka gerry_lim) a dumb boy (that is, dumber than he already is).

Quote Originally Posted by Meque.
    Between an honors graduate with no extracurricular activities and an average student with extracurricular activities, all other factors being equal, whom should you hire? Why?

We will hire the average student with many extracurricular activities. We can train the average student to learn the skills needed on the job, but values such as teamwork, flexibility, leadership are difficult to develop in somebody who may have reached the highest honors without having to involve himself in things other than academics. A fresh graduate is a lot more than what his transcript of records indicate.

Ms. Elain Munsayac
    HR Manager, Unilab

Education:
    BS Psychology (UP Diliman)
    MBA (Tanaka Business School – Imperial College, University of London)[/I]
    this is crap. and it's even inconsistent. companies TEACH workers teamwork, flexibility and leadership. no company in the philippines is good enough to teach people to become smart. that's why intelligence is a priority consideration in hiring. extra-curriculars MAY indicate CERTAIN desirable traits. but that's about it.

i wonder no more why the pharmaceutical industry is littered with upian and la sallian med reps.

kudos to up and la salle!

The international banking firm I work for has stopped taking applicants from certain "prestigious" universities since they come in with a "boss" mentality and misplaced values when it comes to business. The cost of training these clowns greatly outweighs any productive output from them. Although we do hire a few UP Diliman graduates, the firm focuses on placing US-educated Filipino Americans to work in Manila. Spectacular results so far. They are the best of both worlds--Filipino and American at the same time. Filipino work ethic, American communication and social skills and values. Plus, they get paid in dollars and have their car and housing subsidized by the firm.

i'm pretty sure your international bank is not, will never be, among the top-4 in terms of asset and loan size. it does not know how to lend to medium- and small-sized businesses, especially those in binondo. it is limited to IB, quasi-banking, and maybe some credit cards.

so whether or not the original article is true would be beyond the point. not because you are hr of a good company does it means that you are the authority to speak about the best universities in the philippines. what may have worked in your company will not necessarily work in other companies. and there are still a hell lot of fields that the said company has no technology to speak off.

the original poster is cautious of his school's perceived "ranking". but the important thing should be whether or not your school gives you holistic education. i am confident that my school have imparted me just that.
    Last edited by adonis827; Apr 11, 2006 at 09:49 AM.

Naku nabola na naman kayo ni Meque (aka gerry_lim). Expert yan sa tampering articles and twisting the facts just to make his beloved UP and DLSU look good.

The key is, as someone already pointed us, show us the link to the article. Dinagdag lang ang "rank the schools in descending order" ek-ek. Sino namang istupidong HR manager ang mag-co-comment publicly on something na politically incorrect. Pakana lang yan ni Mr. Vivid Upian.

Banned by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_bolan00
    i'm pretty sure your international bank is not, will never be, among the top-4 in terms of asset and loan size. it does not know how to lend to medium- and small-sized businesses, especially those in binondo. it is limited to IB, quasi-banking, and maybe some credit cards.
    I wouldn't mind if you asked me. If this international bank dangles way above the market-level in terms of pay and perks, I'll definitely work there any day. Yes, your bank is "among the top-4 terms of asset and loan size", ugh, so what? Are its employees reaping the benefits of this top-4 bs?

Off-topic, but this is way better than the thread itself.

The Lost Gospel Gospel of Judas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigre
    Naku nabola na naman kayo ni Meque (aka gerry_lim). Expert yan sa tampering articles and twisting the facts just to make his beloved UP and DLSU look good.

The key is, as someone already pointed us, show us the link to the article. Dinagdag lang ang "rank the schools in descending order" ek-ek. Sino namang istupidong HR manager ang mag-co-comment publicly on something na politically incorrect. Pakana lang yan ni Mr. Vivid Upian.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUX2BÜ
    I wouldn't mind if you asked me. If this international bank dangles way above the market-level in terms of pay and perks, I'll definitely work there any day. Yes, your bank is "among the top-4 terms of asset and loan size", ugh, so what? Are its employees reaping the benefits of this top-4 bs?

Off-topic, but this is way better than the thread itself.
    I really wonder how Thomasians get involved into topics which are not of their greater interest.

What a pity.

16. Advertisement

Sino ba itong UNILAB HR Manager? Batas ba ang kanyang salita?

Kailan kaya matitigil ang mala-disyertong pagkauhaw ng mga Pilipino sa recognition? Parang mga asong-u-l-o-l na kumakahol sa recognition.
    Sige na kayo na ang no. 1. Your school is the best. Kayo na ang pinakamagaling. Kayo na ang pinakamatalino at pinaka-prestigious sa buong mundo. For God's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by edoga75
    Sino ba itong UNILAB HR Manager? Batas ba ang kanyang salita?

Kailan kaya matitigil ang mala-disyertong pagkauhaw ng mga Pilipino sa recognition? Parang mga asong-**** na kumakahol sa recognition.
    Sige na kayo na ang no. 1. Your school is the best. Kayo na ang pinakamagaling. Kayo na ang pinakamatalino at pinaka-prestigious sa buong mundo. For God's sake!
    Truly.

Hindi naman aangat ang Pilipinas kung maghihilahan kayo pababa eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gospel of Judas
    I really wonder how Thomasians get involved into topics which are not of their greater interest.

What a pity.
    This guy doesn't seem know the very purpose of having a message board let alone pex's slogan. You twaddle; they reason.

Quote Originally Posted by eurusd
    This guy doesn't seem know the very purpose of having a message board let alone pex's slogan. You twaddle; they reason.
    I'm sick of finding out the reason. That's why.