PEx Highlights

The La Salle-Ateneo Rivalry

The greatest rivalry in Philippine sports provided another classic on Sunday to the delight of diehard basketball fans.

read more

PHOTOS: PLDT Clinches Final Four Berth

PLDT clinched a guaranteed Final Four slot by taking care of Cagayan in three hard-earned sets, 25-22, 25-21, 25-22.

read more

MOVIE REVIEW: What If

What If could very well be the best romantic comedy of this generation.

read more

PHOTOS: Ateneo Wins in the Clutch Again

Kiefer Ravena made another clutch shot at the dying minutes of the game, cementing an Ateneo win over the UE Red Warriors, 78-73.

read more

Top Celebrity Loveteams!

No surprises! They still rule the loveteam forum, but there's no space for complacency, because another couple might just steal their slot.

read more

UAAP Basketball 2nd Round Schedule

Planning to catch a game before the season ends? Check out the 2nd round schedule for UAAP basketball!

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the Wanderer

Talking [MERGED] Sore Eyes.

Sorry if this topic has already been posted. I've searched for the topic "sore eyes" using the search forum but there are no matches. So anyway, here's my question.

I currently have sore eyes, my first time to have one. I got it from my brother who got infected by his classmate during a camping trip. Now we went to the doctor and he prescribed us Chloramphenicol drops. Well, it's been two days now and there seems to be no effect at all. I talked with my female nurse friend and she said that Maxitrol is a better drug. I read the literature and one of the cautions says that it may cause glaucoma and other side effects. can we use Maxitrol? Or what drug is effective for us? How communicable is this disease? How long does it usually last? Thank you doc Ira1!

Talking

I obviously can't assume to know better than your doctor, since he or she has seen and examined you properly already and diagnosed you to have bacterial conjunctivitis. Chloramphenicol eyedrops is purely antibiotic, there is no steroidal component there which will ease the discomfort of sore eyes. But even if you aren't feeling better, it's still working against the bacterial organisms causing your sore eyes, just not the symptoms that come with it. Maxitrol is another form of antibiotic with steroids to ease the redness and irritation, but for some reason, your doctor opted not to give you steroids. I'd advise you to just stick with what your doctor gave you, mahirap na--dexamethasone (the steroid component of Maxitrol), if chronically abused, may cause glaucoma and superimposed fungal infection. However, if the discomfort is really bothering you, call up your doctor and ask if you can take Spersadex (chloramphenicol and dexamethasone) eye drops 4x a day instead. It has the antibiotic your doctor has chosen for you, plus dexamethasone to soothe the inflammation and irritation. I'm sure he/she won't mind a call--it may just be that he didn't think you really needed the steroids.

Untreated, sore eyes can last 10-14 days; if properly treated, 1-3 days. Of course, these numbers are just generalizations. The disease is very communicable, so to prevent spread of sore eyes, avoid touching your eyes, and in the event that you do, wash your hands immediately.

the Wanderer

Talking

Thanks Doc Ira! I decided to stick to the chloramphenicol drops...and yes my eyes improved kanina lang! Ba't ba ang galing mo? Eksaktong 3 days nga improved na! Thanks agen.

Talking

Hi! hope this post helps.

I had sore eyes last year and was prescribed chloramphenicol
    to treat it. The probable reason why you weren't prescribed Maxitrol is because it is used to treat BACTERIAL conjunctivitis. CHLORAMPHENICOL is usually used to treat VIRAL conjunctivitis. This is probably what you have.I had viral conjunctivitis and it takes around 14 days to completely clear out not like the 1-3 days of bacterial conjunctivitis. If i'm not mistaken, you are still in the early stages of the disease and are still highly contagious. As your sore eyes might be viral you can only wait for it to get out of your system (just like chicken pox). Chloramphenicol is just used as an antibiotic to prevent a secondary bacterial infection.

Unfortunately, you'll have to ride it out. In the meantime you can work on improving your immune system with lots of vitamins and rest since - like the flu - viruses attack when your body's at its weakest.

btw, when you take chloramphenicol does it leave a chemical aftertaste in your throat? mine sure did. blecccch....

hope this clears things up a little bit. konting pasensya nalang. Get well soon!

Talking

carlos: You're welcome.

cloud strych9: Clarification--chloramphenicol eye drops are also antibacterial eyedrops, they're not used to treat viral conjunctivitis. They are just given by physicians to prevent a possible conversion of the viral conjunctivitis to bacterial conjunctivitis. But usually, supportive eyedrops like topical steroids is enough. In itself, viral conjunctivitis heals faster than bacterial conjunctivitis, and is self-limiting. You also taste the chloramphenicol eye drops when you put some in your eyes because your tear ducts drain into the nose, and the drainage may detour to the back of your throat.

Question

Well, I have sore eyes now. My eyes were "itchy" last Tuesday, and were red since Wednesday. I feel better now (treatment is polymyxin and neomycin), and I would like to go out of the house. My nephew is getting baptized tomorrow.

Am I still infective?

Talking

I was only able to access PEx today, so this will be a little late, but...yup.

Post It's summertime again, so...

I wasn't a PExer yet when this thread came out but I just want to put in my 2 cents worth for anybody who needs info:

1. Sore eyes usually mean acute conjunctivitis, usually viral. It may, however, also be caused by bacteria like Streptococcus and Neisseria gonorrhea (yes, the sexually transmitted disease!)

2. The symptoms of eye redness, tearing, discharge and eye discomfort may also be due to other eye problems, like blepharitis (eyelid infection), allergy, dry eyes, herpes simplex keratitis, corneal ulcer etc.

3. Viral conjunctivitis is usually self limiting and run a course of up to 14 days, depending on the virulence of the organism. Eye doctors usually prescribe antibiotic eyedrops because they want to either prevent secondary bacterial infection or treat a suspected "mixed" infection. Bacterial conjunctivitis need a organism-specific antibiotic eyedrop.

4. Many eye doctors (including myself) are wary of giving steroid containing eyedrops because of a multitude of potential side effects from its usage, especially for such a relatively minor condition. Other eye doctors would give steroid containing eyedrops only after a careful eye examination to make sure that it's OK for the patient to use such eyedrops.

5. NEVER USE STEROID EYEDROPS (like Maxitrol, Spesadex, etc.) WITHOUT AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST'S PRESCRIPTION. Without a slit lamp, it is very difficult, if not impossible to determine the exact reason for the eye redness.

6. I do understand that some people find it a hassle to see an eye doctor immediately, but do see one if you have the following:
    - blurring of vision
    - very profuse discharge
    - eye pain
    - no improvement after 3 days
    - fever
    - anything that doesn't "feel right"
    These may herald a condition that is worse than the run of the mill "sore eyes" and may need special care.

7. The best way to prevent spread of conjunctivitis? HANDWASHING with soap and water. Ever wonder why ophthalmologists don't get "sore eyes" even after looking after a roomful of "sore eyes" patient? We wash our hands everytime we see one of these patients and before we even attempt to touch our own (or somebody else's) eyes.

Hope I've enlightened some people.

You guys might also want to consider ocular rosacea. Does your face turn red easily? Do you blush a lot? usually this comes with blepharitis and keratitis. You also get sensitive to sunlight, thus making your eyes teary besides constantly being red. Dry eyes may also result from this.

certified traveholic :p sentiments's Avatar
    up

...just because
    Hindi naman summer ngayon pero uso ang Sore eyes! Sabi nung isa kong friend nagkaka-ubusan na daw ng Maxitrol sa Mercury...

I remeber nung bata pa ako, Maxitrol ang binigay sakin. Hindi ako nag-absent!

Matapang talaga magbigay ng gamot yung pedia namin. Yung mga gamot nya, 500mg 3x a day!

ay naku..... ilang araw ba talaga sore eyes.... meron pa rin ako hanggang ngayon....ika-3rd day ko na.....

nagpatingin na ako (1st day pa *** ng sore eyes ko)... ang binigay sa kin isang "anti-infective" (torba or tobra something, solution sya, every 2 hours) tsaka anti-bacterial (fundi something..drops sya, every night ***).....ang pula-pula pa rin ng mata ko....... haay.....

gusto ko na sya gumaling..... gusto ko na manood ng "the notebook"!!!!

*** Maxitrol ba pede bilhin kahit walang reseta?

...just because
    ^ Oo yata. Pero sabi ni Eyedoc wag daw gagamit nun pag walang prescription.

Iba-ibang klase na ata ang sore eyes ngayun e...nag-mutate na ata!

tobramycin (tobrex) pala *** akin w/c is the anti-infective....*** isa naman fundimycin na anti-bacterial..... mapula pa rin mata ko... 4th day ko na...pro di na masakit..... gusto ko na syang gumaling!!!!

As I've mentioned before, it is never wise to self medicate without a doctor's prescription. I don't really want to scare you guys, but I do see a lot of complications when the right medicine is not given, doble pa ang gastos.

Acute conjunctivitis usually last for a week, give or take. But it really depends on the strain of microorganism AND the immunological status of the patient.

One more thing, eyedrops prescribed by your doctors are not MAGIC. They do not remove the redness immediately. When the infection subsides, so does the redness.

And, to prevent sore eyes, as mentioned before, practice frequent handwashing!

nagka sore eyes na ko dati. ibig ba sabihin ay hindi na ko magkaka sore eyes ulit?

thanks eyedoc!

What's the difference between SORE EYES & PINK EYES? thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic15 View Post
    What's the difference between SORE EYES & PINK EYES? thanks..
    In layman's terms... no difference. we call it "pink eye" in the US, "sore eyes" in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by sentiments View Post
    tobramycin (tobrex) pala *** akin w/c is the anti-infective....*** isa naman fundimycin na anti-bacterial..... mapula pa rin mata ko... 4th day ko na...pro di na masakit..... gusto ko na syang gumaling!!!!
    kakapa-check-up ko lang kanina sa sore eyes ko. tobramycin (tobrex) nga yung prescribed ng doctor. hindi na namumula yung mata at hindi na masyadong makati. pero sabi i have to rest para mas mabilis ang pag-recover.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast