PEx Highlights

Review: Hercules

Bordering on ridiculous, Dwayne Johnson delivers and Hercules is a fun and entertaining ride.

read more

Prepare to Go Into the Storm

From New Line Cinema, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, comes the tornado disaster film Into the Storm.

read more

PHOTOS: Cagayan upsets Army

Cagayan Valley Rising Sun hands Philippine Army its first loss through 4 sets, 27-25, 20-25, 25-23, 25-22

read more

The Unique Heroes of Marvel's Guardians

Know more about Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Groot and Rocket.

read more

PHOTOS: NU Hands Ateneo its First Loss

The NU Bulldogs relied on Troy Rosario and Rev Diputado to give Ateneo its first loss of the season, 64-60

read more

UAAP Basketball Power Rankings: Week 2

Are the Blue Eagles back on top again? Check out this week's PEx UAAP Season 77 Basketball Power Rankings.

read more

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3
    -goodreads.com (then google for copies in the internet because trust me it's hard to know a title then look for it in a bookshop)

-author (before I look at the title, I look at the author and the name rings a bell then the chances are high for me picking it from the shelves)

-title (of course, it introduces the book to its readers so sometimes mundane titles doesn't work well for me but I'm glad that I now seldom think this way because there are a lot of good reads with ordinary title)

-summary (if the summary can't pique my interest then it's highly likely that the book won't)

-cover (if its fancy, somehow I get the impression that this has been really well thought out)

-reviews (if it gets nods and thumb-ups from reputable people, media organizations then who am I to say otherwise?)

-friends' taste (I have a good number of friends who are bookworms and I certainly think they have good tastes)

Quote Originally Posted by strandedstranger View Post
    -goodreads.com (then google for copies in the internet because trust me it's hard to know a title then look for it in a bookshop)

-author (before I look at the title, I look at the author and the name rings a bell then the chances are high for me picking it from the shelves)

-title (of course, it introduces the book to its readers so sometimes mundane titles doesn't work well for me but I'm glad that I now seldom think this way because there are a lot of good reads with ordinary title)

-summary (if the summary can't pique my interest then it's highly likely that the book won't)

-cover (if its fancy, somehow I get the impression that this has been really well thought out)
    -reviews (if it gets nods and thumb-ups from reputable people, media organizations then who am I to say otherwise?)

-friends' taste (I have a good number of friends who are bookworms and I certainly think they have good tastes)
    ah, yes. judging the book by its cover. i'm also guilty of this.

Well as long as it isn't cute and pretty hahaha. I have a certain liking for books that have a simple yet stylishly elegant book cover/ jacket.

author, friends recommendation, theme tsaka kung gusto ko *** ending.. mahilig kasi ako magbasa ng ending muna.

@stranded do you have goodreads account?

@shizo_me. yep I have. you can message me yours so we can be goodreads 'friends'. hahaha

^ sent ya....................

already did. Geez I thought you're a guy. Haha.

I'm responsible for my rose indigo77's Avatar
    -If the synopsis catches my interest (I like different genres: YA, mystery/suspense, crime, contemporary fiction)

-If it has good reviews. I check the reviews on goodreads.com although I try to avoid some "reviews" as they're most likely the synopsis or worse, spoilers.

-If it's really popular--a kind of book that everyone seems to be reading. I tend to check out books that are popular and if it catches my interest, I read it.

-I try not to judge a book by its cover, but I can't help it. I get attracted to books with pretty cover art.

pag punta ko sa library,yung most handled,dog eared,new book but look old, yun ang hinihiram ko.it means the book was borrowed a lot and read a lot.

if it's:
    - cheap
    - has a dust jacket/hardcover (optional, though)
    - relevant to my interests
    - did I say cheap?

dala siguro ng lagi kong pagtambay sa booksale. And I almost jizzed myself with the superb books that I was able buy from national bookstore's latest sale. 7 books, each worth Php1300, now down to Php50 each, why the hell not.

- Book cover, if it is engaging enough (clever design, may pagka artsy-fartsy yung dating)

- Then, I'll check the back cover for the overview

- Last thing would be the book author. I think maraming underrated/overrated na book author around so I don't really mind the author.

Charonte Demon
    I usually look at the Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought list on Amazon.com

Also, I've been lucky when I use Google Images. When I check out a book cover, usually a related book cover image usually pop up too.

Of course, first & foremost, I judge the books by its cover. If the cover seems so attracting to my sight, I'd read its synopsis. But if its synopsis doesn't attract me, well, bye-bye to that book.

- recommendations from friends

- I go to Fully Booked and check out the displays, especially the "top" books. I look at the synopsis when available, and I list down the titles and authors. Then I research on Amazon. If I like the synopsis and the reviews (should be at least 4 stars), then I buy the Kindle edition.

- I look for the free Kindle books on Amazon (usually chick lit, young adult or romance books), and if the synopsis is interesting, I download! Free books!

Friends, sometimes.

Bookstore. I check the books in the rankings. Best sellers section.

Most of the time, GoodReads. It usually finds good recommendations for me. Then I check for some reviews there. Then I read some of the quotes from the book there.

But before finally making the purchase, of course I read the synopsis.

one day i was crossing a field and a bull charged me. luckily, i was carrying under my arm (well, sort of) agatha christie's the complete miss marple, all 4,000+ pages of it, and flung it at the bull. it hit the poor animal between the eyes and stopped him in his tracks.

as a result, now i only pick books that are big and heavy enough to stun an ox. an added unexpected benefit: i have biceps and triceps of steel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3