PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: ADMU Edges DLSU

Kiefer Ravena played like a man possessed in the 4th quarter to lead the ADMU Blue Eagles past the DLSU Green Archers 97-86.

read more

#NoLastHomeStand After All

Filipino basketball fans let down by PLDT All-Star Charity Event, labeled as, 'Gilas Last Home Stand' after last-minute cancellations.

read more

What's Wrong With the Green Archers?

After being penned the favorites of UAAP Season 77, the DLSU Green Archers are off to a slow opening in the season, now at 0-2.

read more

PHOTOS: Ferrer Leads UST Past FEU

Kevin Ferrer nailed crucial triples in the game's final minutes to help the UST Growling Tigers escape the FEU Tamaraws 69-67.

read more

Top Celebrity Loveteams!

Check out which loveteams dropped and which ones came out on top this week!

read more

PHOTOS: PLDT Repulses NU

The PLDT Turbo Boosters pulled away with a tough 25-16, 25-23, 24-26, 25-19 victory over the gritty NU Lady Bulldogs.

read more

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3
    -goodreads.com (then google for copies in the internet because trust me it's hard to know a title then look for it in a bookshop)

-author (before I look at the title, I look at the author and the name rings a bell then the chances are high for me picking it from the shelves)

-title (of course, it introduces the book to its readers so sometimes mundane titles doesn't work well for me but I'm glad that I now seldom think this way because there are a lot of good reads with ordinary title)

-summary (if the summary can't pique my interest then it's highly likely that the book won't)

-cover (if its fancy, somehow I get the impression that this has been really well thought out)

-reviews (if it gets nods and thumb-ups from reputable people, media organizations then who am I to say otherwise?)

-friends' taste (I have a good number of friends who are bookworms and I certainly think they have good tastes)

Quote Originally Posted by strandedstranger View Post
    -goodreads.com (then google for copies in the internet because trust me it's hard to know a title then look for it in a bookshop)

-author (before I look at the title, I look at the author and the name rings a bell then the chances are high for me picking it from the shelves)

-title (of course, it introduces the book to its readers so sometimes mundane titles doesn't work well for me but I'm glad that I now seldom think this way because there are a lot of good reads with ordinary title)

-summary (if the summary can't pique my interest then it's highly likely that the book won't)

-cover (if its fancy, somehow I get the impression that this has been really well thought out)
    -reviews (if it gets nods and thumb-ups from reputable people, media organizations then who am I to say otherwise?)

-friends' taste (I have a good number of friends who are bookworms and I certainly think they have good tastes)
    ah, yes. judging the book by its cover. i'm also guilty of this.

Well as long as it isn't cute and pretty hahaha. I have a certain liking for books that have a simple yet stylishly elegant book cover/ jacket.

author, friends recommendation, theme tsaka kung gusto ko *** ending.. mahilig kasi ako magbasa ng ending muna.

@stranded do you have goodreads account?

@shizo_me. yep I have. you can message me yours so we can be goodreads 'friends'. hahaha

^ sent ya....................

already did. Geez I thought you're a guy. Haha.

I'm responsible for my rose indigo77's Avatar
    -If the synopsis catches my interest (I like different genres: YA, mystery/suspense, crime, contemporary fiction)

-If it has good reviews. I check the reviews on goodreads.com although I try to avoid some "reviews" as they're most likely the synopsis or worse, spoilers.

-If it's really popular--a kind of book that everyone seems to be reading. I tend to check out books that are popular and if it catches my interest, I read it.

-I try not to judge a book by its cover, but I can't help it. I get attracted to books with pretty cover art.

pag punta ko sa library,yung most handled,dog eared,new book but look old, yun ang hinihiram ko.it means the book was borrowed a lot and read a lot.

if it's:
    - cheap
    - has a dust jacket/hardcover (optional, though)
    - relevant to my interests
    - did I say cheap?

dala siguro ng lagi kong pagtambay sa booksale. And I almost jizzed myself with the superb books that I was able buy from national bookstore's latest sale. 7 books, each worth Php1300, now down to Php50 each, why the hell not.

- Book cover, if it is engaging enough (clever design, may pagka artsy-fartsy yung dating)

- Then, I'll check the back cover for the overview

- Last thing would be the book author. I think maraming underrated/overrated na book author around so I don't really mind the author.

Charonte Demon
    I usually look at the Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought list on Amazon.com

Also, I've been lucky when I use Google Images. When I check out a book cover, usually a related book cover image usually pop up too.

Of course, first & foremost, I judge the books by its cover. If the cover seems so attracting to my sight, I'd read its synopsis. But if its synopsis doesn't attract me, well, bye-bye to that book.

- recommendations from friends

- I go to Fully Booked and check out the displays, especially the "top" books. I look at the synopsis when available, and I list down the titles and authors. Then I research on Amazon. If I like the synopsis and the reviews (should be at least 4 stars), then I buy the Kindle edition.

- I look for the free Kindle books on Amazon (usually chick lit, young adult or romance books), and if the synopsis is interesting, I download! Free books!

Friends, sometimes.

Bookstore. I check the books in the rankings. Best sellers section.

Most of the time, GoodReads. It usually finds good recommendations for me. Then I check for some reviews there. Then I read some of the quotes from the book there.

But before finally making the purchase, of course I read the synopsis.

one day i was crossing a field and a bull charged me. luckily, i was carrying under my arm (well, sort of) agatha christie's the complete miss marple, all 4,000+ pages of it, and flung it at the bull. it hit the poor animal between the eyes and stopped him in his tracks.

as a result, now i only pick books that are big and heavy enough to stun an ox. an added unexpected benefit: i have biceps and triceps of steel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3