Pet Care - Page 5 | Pets and Animals | PinoyExchange

X

Page 5 of 14 First ... 4 5 6 ... Last

Cool

Originally posted by Ada:
    nikolai: Guess what!? I finally got the telephone number of the breeders I'm looking for! *jumps for joy* Sheesh, why didn't I think of looking for local websites on shih tzu's sooner?! *bops myself on the head* I'm so happpppppyy!!
    Woohoo! Good for you Ada! http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net/boldpurple.gif KingTriton actually posted that site na before. Siguro you didn't see it. Anyway good luck finding your puppy!

[This message has been edited by nikolai (edited 09-02-2000).]

Cool

Thanks nikolai! Even if I don't find my puppy [after all, I still don't know how much they're selling their puppies for ], I'm sure a visit to their place to see all 40 of their shih tzu's will be great in itself. Yeehah!

too: Still looking for a name for you puppy? Check out this thread. There are a lot of great puppy names here: Name for a Rottweiler Puppy

To those asking about cats, perhaps it would be better to post your questions in this thread: CAT LOVERS UNITE!

Smile

Ada: I hope you saw the numbers of PCCI which I posted earlier.

Talking

Ada: I dont really have an exact figure how much Penny Friedlander's Puppies are but they are probably more or less 15,000. If you are really serious about Shih-Tzu's and want ur puppy , not just for a puppy, u wont go wrong with her pups. Just be careful when u buy male puppies, we bought a male shih-tzu before who was a son of a Phil Champion but the Pup we bought had a undescended testicle, it was too late to return the pup since we fell in love with it already. So do not always equate champion parents to good quality.

Talking

hello hello...wow, nice to know that theres a thread for pet lovers...yipee

blackblade21>; have you heard about the 2 arowannas (ganun ba spelling nun) in the pond inside the Meralco (pasig) premises? Allegedly they're 8 feet each in length!! I think in the wild they can grow up to 11 to 15 feet (yata, totoo ba yun) I haven't seen it pero sa next tym na magtennis ako dun, ill look at it tas post ko rito nga pala, i wanted to buy my mom an aquarium for her bday but i can't decide what to get her: a variety of fish(es) or just an arowanna...watyatink?

cupcake>; patas lang ang dalawang breed...magkakatalo na lang sa color ng coat nila...himalayan, colorpoint like the siamese while you could choose from a variety of colors from the persian breed...its really a toss-up... good breed din yung Maine Coon or American Bobtail

i used to own a himalayan pero nagkaroon siya ng complications sa heart so i eventually lost her, that was around 6 years ago During that tym den, i had around 10 siamese cats and kittens and two dogs, a schnauzer and a shih tzu (na parehong nanakaw ...whew!...wala halos pinagkaiba ang persian sa himalayan, siguro sa coats nila but they have the same sweet personality, very assertive, needy for attention, and affectionate...sayang nga kasi 1 na lang ang siamese ko now (her name is Long, her deceased hubby's name was Shorty, and one of their sons i named Big Foot...hehehe) she's almost 8 years old (in human years but in cat years she's almost 45, but she's still very active and keeps our family on our toes http://www.pinoyexchange.com/lol.gif I feed her Whiskas(dry and in cans) but according to her age...i also started giving her this cat food, Sheba ata yung name, and it actually made her coat finer and more glossy...
    I've given more than ten kittens from Long's litter, I tried selling them but once i sold them to friends the kittens eventually died...so now i just give them away, but only after my friends promise to take care of the kitten as if it was a child...before i used to trim my cats' claws, but now i use nail caps kase its painless than declawing them saka they really get pissed pag ginugupitan ng kuko...

oops, ang haba na anyway mukhang mapapadalas ako sa thread na to

for ada, nikolai, et al>;>;>;last na pala...dog lover den ako http://www.pinoyexchange.com/blush.gif when i was in grade school we had an assortment of canine friends as ive mentioned before (as well as a doberman, 2 samoyeds, and 3 askals)...but after na nanakaw and namatay of old age, i just settled for cats muna...i was saving up for a black or brown sharpei but my nephew was born, so i had to hold my plans for a new doggie...my nephew is now 2 yrs and 7 months old, ok na ba akong mag-doggie ulit?
    Kung pwede naman, what breed would be appropriate for kids kase i want him to grow up with a sense of alliance with dogs...my Siamese is takot sa kanya kse my nephew kicked her once or twice, but nilalambing na ngayon ng nephew ko http://www.pinoyexchange.com/angel.gif

hoping to hear from you guys im also thinking about signing up for the PAWS volunteer thingie!!!

Wink

Adashki,

Actually I want one of those Chow-Chow's that you see in BioResearch, Ground Level of Megamall.. I feel bad that they're all locked up.. in a mall at that, but at least it gives prospective owners a chance to see them..!

As for PetCare, you won't believe the number of things my dog has gone through.

For starters, he has heartworm, a common but very deadly disease. I've already lost one dog to heartworm. It was awful. I was still a kid, then. They say the Loyola Heights area is filled with the mosquito-borne disease because of the poor water situation here. And once a dog in infected, and a mosquito bites that infected dog, and bites ANOTHER dog, the 2nd dog will most likely also contract the disease.

My dog takes a lot of vitamins everyday. I think he takes one for his heart, some vitamin E for his skin.. he takes in more vitamins than I do!

Another TIP: KEEP YOUR DOG'S EARS CLEAN. One time my dog's ears weren't cleaned well. What happens is that all these germs and bacteria can actually live in the dirt. One of his ears bloated up, because apparently a blood vessel burst, and the vet had to thoroughly clean the ears, prescribe anti-biotics, and when the bloating subsided, his ear became wrinkled! Sort of like chicharon hehehe.. the hair regrows naman. He looks almost as good as new.

I don't know if it's just my dog, but some dogs want to "move on". One night I found him not feeling too well. He didn't like the light, prefererred staying in the farthest reaches of the garden, unmoving, soaking wet, and he was having convulsions.

I had to "talk" him into coming back. When your dog gets suicidal like that, talk to him for a while, then get a towel, dry him very very well, and bring him to a dry place, preferably also on top of a towel. So he's got TWO towels with him. One under to take sure he doesn't get cold from the floor, and one wrapped around him so he doesn't shiver.

After an hour or so, if you keep on keeping him company, and patting the fur, then he returns to normal. KSP DOG!!!

DON'T LET YOUR DOG EAT HIS OWN POOP. If he does, he won't BE ABLE TO POOP ANYMORE because the bacteria (yuck) will cause his bowel functions to malfunction. If he gets constipated like this, you have to feed him PAPAYA, and take him for a walk outside. When he starts sniffing like he wants to poop, that's a good sign.

Sheesh.. dogs... can't live with em, can't live without em!

Smile

Hi sofia g9!

Hey another dog lover! Alam mo I've always wanted a Samoyed. Hindi yung Japanese Spitz na kunyari Samoyed ha! http://www.pinoyexchange.com/bop.gif The real thing! May breeder ba dito? Before kasi I was thinking of importing one nalang if I do decide to get one. I just hope the coat stays nice and white (and thick!) kasi alam mo naman it's hot here. Although if I get one malamang naka aircon naman yon like my other dogs, heehee! http://www.pinoyexchange.com/lol.gif I was in France last April and I saw this guy with about 5 or 6 Samoyeds! They were so nice (and siempre maganda naman kasi yung weather doon)! Kakainggit!

Speaking of dogs and kids, my nephew just turned 2 and he seems to like dogs A LOT! He likes to hug and kiss my German Shepherd and he tries to ride my Black Labrador Retriever! http://www.pinoyexchange.com/lol.gif Ang cute! Imagine they're kinda big dogs compared to him! But he doesn't mind naman. Sometimes ako ang natatakot when they start to get rough playing around. Since my nephew just had his 2nd birthday a week ago, my dad wanted to get him a puppy sana. But he's still too young to take responsiblity for it so we decided not to get muna. But if you're thinking of just having a dog around to get him used to it, that's a good idea! http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net7/biggthumpup.gif I'm the type who always has to have dogs around so when I have kids of my own, kahit bata palang sila I want them to get used to dogs na. That's what my dad did with us too! http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net5/wacky.gif

As for your question on which breed is good with kids, marami naman yata. Just consider the size nalang since maliit pa nephew mo. From my experience, Beagles are good with kids (they love them!) and since they're not big dogs, they won't exactly overpower the kids. But mind you, they're VERY active and inquisitive dogs! http://www.pinoyexchange.com/crazy.gif One of the harder breeds to train too... So you'll need patience! But they're sooo lovable! http://www.pinoyexchange.com/love.gif If you'd like, I'll try to give you a list of breeds that are good with children. Better yet, why don't you visit this site and learn about the breeds yourself! At least you'll find out which breeds ang bagay sa 'yo diba?

http://puppyshop.com/profiles.htm

Hey ako rin magvo-volunteer sa PAWS! http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net7/biggthumpup.gif

[This message has been edited by nikolai (edited 09-04-2000).]

Smile

Originally posted by Noisy Cricket:
    Actually I want one of those Chow-Chow's that you see in BioResearch, Ground Level of Megamall.. I feel bad that they're all locked up.. in a mall at that, but at least it gives prospective owners a chance to see them..!
    Noisy Cricket: I know what you mean about seeing puppies in pet shop windows. But I for one disapprove of getting puppies from pet shops. (Kahit na sobra akong tempted to save them all! http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net5/IIworry.gif ) I'd rather visit the kennels myself and see the litter AND the parents if possible! I posted this before:

I don't usually advise buying puppies from pet stores. I'm not sure about here in the Philippines, but I know in the US (and maybe in other countries) there are pet stores that get their pups from puppy mills. Maybe not every pet store but there are some that do. I read that if you ever find a pet store that you'd like to buy a puppy from, insist that the store prove that the puppy came from a breeder, and call that breeder and ask the same questions you'd ask when visiting a kennel.
    Better safe than sorry. I've heard stories of people buying puppies from pet shops tapos namatay lang agad yung puppy. I read this somewhere and it really struck me. It goes something like this: "If you think you're helping the puppy (coz you feel sorry for it), you're actually doing more harm by encouraging the practice of puppy mills." And if you've seen what puppy mills look like, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's really very sad. http://www.pinoyexchange.com/crying.gif I'm not so sure if pet shops here get their puppies from REPUTABLE breeders, but PLEASE try to find out before buying. I've even heard of stories that some shops daw buy papers of puppies na namatay agad, to use them for the puppies they're selling. Grabe 'no? Besides, you'll probably get more for your money and end up paying less in the long term buying straight from a breeder. Anyway opinion ko lang naman. http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net5/wacky.gif

By the way, I give Heartgard once a month to fight against heartworms...

[This message has been edited by nikolai (edited 09-04-2000).]

Sooooobrang Tagal ng Member

Talking

hi ada! sayang ngayon ko lang nakita 'tong thread na'to. i'm having cuddle for almost 2 years already and my, shih-tzus are one of the sweetest pets to take care of. sobrang anlambing-lambing nila - sya tagagising ko sa umaga, tatahol sha pag wiwiwi or gegerby sha, pag dumadating ako sa bahay angsweet-sweet nya sa'kin....haaaay saraapp. she's soooo adorable. kaso nga lang pag di naliligo saka sha natutulog sa kama ko.

tips that the vet advised:

1. bathe her every 2 days. pinaliguan mo sha ngayon, wait for 2 days to bathe her again. nakakainis lang nung mahaba yung balahibo nya, nilalampaso nya yung sahig. literally.

2. never feed her with chocolates, butter, human foods that have msg, fish, chicken and chicken bones, chicken heads ....isip pa'ko nakalimutan ko na yung iba e. nakakatuwa kase marunong sha kumain ng gulay at prutas. pero kanin ayaw.

3. tatanggalan mo sha ng muta tuwing meron kang makikita. pag madalas na sha magmuta, ask for vet help.

4. general rule for all breeds: snails are very very dangerous. don't let her play where snails are plenty. our german shepherd died when he ate one.

5. high maintenance is required when you opt to keep her fur long. you have to brush it always, you have to gently untangle those tangles.

6. always keep her ears clean. be extra careful when you reach the inner part.

7. paw nails have to be regularly trimmed. if you have to trim them yourself, make sure it won't bleed.

isip pa'ko..

Lightbulb

http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net3/pinkie.gif Hey guys! I found this site that helps you find the right dog breed for you! Even if you're not looking for a puppy at the moment, it's a pretty cool quiz!

www.puppydogweb.com/breedselector.htm

Cool

nikolai>; hey thanks for the tips...i went to the website you posted regarding which dog suits you...i got the Soft-Coated Wheatan Terrier...meron ba non dito?
    nway thanks

wicked queen>; ur right about the ears...minsan kase my Siamese cat developed a bad case of the "flu/colds". She was sneezing, and coughing and creating havoc...geez...when i went to the vet, it was because i wasn't able to clean her ears daw...kaya i try to clean her ears now at least once a week coz im the only one she tolerates to clean her ears

Cats have a natural fear of water, but they groom themselves a lot...my cat doesn't like taking a bath, but minsan pinupunasan ko siya with a wet towel with a small amount of soap...and i tried brushing her teeth kase i can't find a chewing toy for cats....if you know of any toy paki post na lang

thanks

Smile

Originally posted by sofia g9:
    nikolai>; hey thanks for the tips...i went to the website you posted regarding which dog suits you...i got the Soft-Coated Wheatan Terrier...meron ba non dito?
    nway thanks
    sofia g9: That's the one that's rated 100% ba? Hmmm I don't think meron dito ng breed na yan. But you don't HAVE to get that breed in particular naman siguro. http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net5/IIworry.gif Diba it matches a lot of dogs for you...iba-ibang rating lang siya. Di naman siguro ibig sabihin kailangan yung 100% match ang kunin mo. I think that's why you have an option to compare the different breed results/ratings that you got.

Talking

Originally posted by sofia g9:
    nway thanks

thanks
    Kuha ka nalang ng yorkshire terrier cute naman din yun eh

Cool

KingTriton: Hey, wouldya believe Ms. Friedlander actually emailed me after I posted a message in this shiz tzu forum I went to? She's great!

I don't think I have to worry about undescended testicles either since I'm getting a female dog.

nikolai: What happens when you're a PAWS volunteer?

Hey guys, maybe we can have dog EB sometime? Or maybe we can all go to a dog show. I've never been to one but I'm interested to watch one.

Talking

Ada: I told u she's nice!! Are u going to get a Shih-Tzu from her?? I guess undescendended trsticles wont be a problem after all If you plan on getting a puppy from her u better enter ur pup in a dog show...

Talking

Ada: BTW if ur going to get a Shih-Tzu and plan on going to dog shows, get a pup other than black and white, get the gold/white, red gold/white, just as long its not black and white... there are usually no black and white shih tzu's entered in dog shows here, if there are it seldom happens.

Also be sure u have the time or let someone comb the hair of the pup regularly so it would grow long. That was our problem with our shih-tzu's, we did not have the time to comb the hair regularly so we just had their hair cut short.

good luck in ur shih-tzu hunting!!!

Smile

KingTriton: I'm thinking about getting my pup from Yaki Kennel. The breeders were the ones featured in Balitang K and I really like the way their dogs look. I was able to talk to one of the breeders and she said they have 2 female shih tzu pups right now. I'll pay them a visit next week so I can take a look at them. Since I haven't really made up my mind yet on where to get my pup, I'll probably visit a number of breeders within the month. I'm so excited!

Oh yeah, is it really normal for puppies to be sold only when they're 3 months and older? I kinda thought this is too old already since I'm used to getting my pups at around 2 months old. The younger I get them, the better since they're at their cutest when they're small.

Smile

I forgot to mention that I don't plan to compete in any dog show.

Smile

Originally posted by Ada:
    nikolai: What happens when you're a PAWS volunteer?

Hey guys, maybe we can have dog EB sometime? Or maybe we can all go to a dog show. I've never been to one but I'm interested to watch one.
    Ada: I think it depends din what you're volunteering for. But okay yung mga volunteer opportunities nila. When you fill up the application form, you are asked to indicate your area of interest. There's Admitting, Adoptive Follow-up, Clinic Technician Assistant, Direct Animal Care, Foster Care, Office Assistant, Match-Maker, Dr. Dog (Pet-Facilitated Therapy), Humane Education, Special Events, and Disaster Relief. Ang sabi nila sa 'kin before, sometimes you'll be going to dog pounds to bring food and watch them feed the dogs or assist in the feeding. Or you go to schools and talk about responsible ownership and awareness...stuff like that. Those are just examples.

Speaking of dog shows, you know if you're looking for a puppy it's a good idea to attend one. You'll get to talk to breeders and see their dogs. http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net5/wacky.gif I miss going to dog shows na nga eh.

Talking

Ada: It really depends on the breeder when they want to sell their puppies, its okay to sell them at 2 months - 2 1/2 months, by that time the Pups are already weaned. In our case we usually wait until the pups are 3 months before we sell them, its really hard to part ways with the puppies so we usually keep them longer. The pups are really cute when they are young, u dont want them to grow anymore...

Page 5 of 14 First ... 4 5 6 ... Last