What is God Like? | Realm of Thought | PinoyExchange

X

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 198
  1. #1

    What is God Like?

    There was once a truly just judge. All over the land people recognize him as a truly just person.

    One day the judge was sad to find out that his son committed a crime. His son just injured another person because of a fight. But since he was the judge he had to hear the arguments against his son. And based on the evidence his son was indeed guilty without a shadow of a doubt. His son will have to receive twenty lashes for the crime.

    The judge hands out the punishment of his son and orders the soldiers to give out twenty lashes on his back. His son takes off his shirt as the lashing will begin and the soldier gets ready to do his job. The soldier then was surprised as the judge stood up and approached his son. The judge takes off his robe and covers his son with now the judge's back facing the soldier.

    He orders the soldier to begin the punishment as he covers his son.

    -------------------------
    God is like the just judge who sacrificied his son so that we can escape the puishment. If only we would accept this gift of salvation we too will escape the punishment. His mercy and love is truly great.

    "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

    "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." (2 Corinthians 5:21)

    "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." (1 John 2:2)

    God Bless!

  2. #2
    I may be stupid, I don't get it.

  3. #3
    Truth! This is one excellent parable of who and what God is like. The fact is that, as the parable above states, God is our loving Father in heaven. That is why our Lord Jesus Christ, His one and only Begotten Son, taught us how to pray by saying, "Our Father which art in heaven". The phrase "which art in heaven" is important to distinguish God, Him, from our mortal or earthly fathers. So that therefore, corrollary to this, God, being a Father, and being our Father that resides in heaven, is a male entity, a male being, so that the feministic concept of a female goddess as God is false, Satanic, and erroneous. Another corrollary fact to this is that God the Father, our Father which is in heaven, is a male person who has the attributes of paternity, fatherhood, and patriarchy.

    The second truth that can be gleaned from the above parable is that God our Father in heaven is not just a Spirit that is a cosmic force, unreachable, emotionless, unfeeling, and totally intellectual, as the Deists and the Pantheists of this world would have us believe, but that God, being a Father, and our Father in heaven at that, is a deeply personal person, feeling, hurting, having emotions like us, knowing our needs, commisserating with our pains, and is deeply involved in the deepest reaches of our souls, our pains, our struggles, our anguish, as well as our joys, our happiness, and our satisfactions.

    So that God, being a Father, our Father which is in heaven, is a loving God, one who loves very much, is full of compassion to His creatures, is willing to condescend to all of us in order for us to be saved, is full of kindness, truth, justice, peace, righteousness, and holiness. God our Father in heaven hurts when we hurt; he feels the hurts that we feel.

    Do you think that He does not hurt when we choose to do evil, and despise His Words to us, and when we turn our backs on Him to follow Satan the adversary?

    As the above parable lucidly illustrates, God our Father in heaven loved and loves us so much that He gave us His one and only beloved Begotten Son, even our Lord Jesus Christ, that whosoever may believe on Jesus Christ His Son whom He has sent to us, may not perish but may avail of the eternal life and glory and joy that he offers to us freely.

    As our loving Father in heaven, God wants all of us to be saved, and not to perish, for He loves us. That is why He covered us when the soldier that will lash the guilty son began to lash the body of the son due to the culpability of his sins, but because of the love of God, our Father in heaven, He covered our body with His so that we will not be hurt, but He will receive the lashes that was meant for us.

    This is our God, our Father who longs that each of us would turn to Him and obey Him, a loving Father in heaven who only desires what is best and good for all of us throughout the eternities...

    To Bzou who says "I may be stupid, I don't get it", I hope this explanation by my humble representation would suffice.

  4. #4
    John 1:1 ... "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

  5. #5
    The most ridiculous concept ever perpetrated by H.Sapiens is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of the Universes, wants the sacharrine adoration of his creations, that he can be persuaded by their prayers, and becomes petulant if he does not recieve this flattery. Yet this ridiculous notion, without one real shred of evidence to bolster it, has gone on to found one of the oldest, largest and least productive industries in history. - Lazarus Long

  6. #6
    LAGOT KA!!! :p
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    in people's 201
    Quote Originally Posted by easter

    "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)
    I hate this passage. Does this mean that anyone who doesn't believe in his son will burn in hell? What about those who don't have the capacity to believe? e.g. infants, autistic persons, non christians? I therefore conclude that the bible is full of shi*.

    And who wants an eternal life anyway?

  7. #7
    ^Also my age-long question, I have not yet read/heard an answer that really suffices. At any rate, the story is touching. And oh, me wants eternal life! Depends on what kind of life I'll be living for eternity (as I understand it).

  8. #8
    LAGOT KA!!! :p
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    in people's 201
    eternal life = epitome of boredom

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gakutokamui
    The most ridiculous concept ever perpetrated by H.Sapiens is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of the Universes, wants the sacharrine adoration of his creations, that he can be persuaded by their prayers, and becomes petulant if he does not recieve this flattery. Yet this ridiculous notion, without one real shred of evidence to bolster it, has gone on to found one of the oldest, largest and least productive industries in history. - Lazarus Long
    This would be true, if you believe that we humans are just like the lower animals that live on instinct and not on morality, if you believe that we are high class apes who through the long process of evolution managed somehow to survive the elements, if you believe that life's purpose is to satisfy one's passions and instincts.

    The fact that Lazarus Long calls us humans as Homo Sapiens is illustrative of the fact that he believes humans to be just an aberrant effect of the long process of evolution. But I don't believe that.

    If you believe that we have a purpose here on earth, if you believe that the true end of man is holiness and love, if you believe that this world is not the end of everything, but is just a testing ground for the otherworld, then this quotation is nothing more than the ratiocinations of a man deceived by Lucifer and his angels.

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by FocusAlert
    I hate this passage. Does this mean that anyone who doesn't believe in his son will burn in hell? What about those who don't have the capacity to believe? e.g. infants, autistic persons, non christians? I therefore conclude that the bible is full of shi*.

    And who wants an eternal life anyway?
    Your words illustrate your utter ignorance of the Words of God, the Holy Bible. I urge you to read this great passage in the Gospel According to Saint John Chapter 3 Verse 16, which you say you hate, for if you only read the next following verses after it, you will find that the our Lord Jesus Christ Himself answers your question of "Does this mean that anyone who doesn't believe in His Son will burn in hell?".

    I want you to know that the one speaking this verse (John 3:16), which you say you hate, is no less than the Son of God Himself, the Holy One of Israel, even the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, when Nicodemus asked Him about human salvation. I want you to get your Holy Bible, preferably the Authorized King James Version, and read the entire Chapter 3 of the Testimony of Saint John (Gospel According to Saint John).

    People like you who insult the Holy Words of God is not actually insulting Him but His Holy Spirit who is the real author of these sacred books, and let me remind you, that we may sin against God the Father and God the Son and be forgiven, but to sin against the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit, to blaspheme Him, to despise His Words, the Holy Bible, and not to believe the same in spite of "so great a cloud of witnesses", is to commit the unpardonable sin, the sin which cannot be forgiven either in this world or in the world to come.

    Coming now to the verses that you say you hate, let me quote the same to you in full, using the most beautiful Version of the Bible of all, the Authorized King James Version:

    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

    19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

    21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

    I want you to note Verse 18 above, for the same answers your question as to whether those who do not believe on Jesus Christ will be saved or not (burn in hell, as you say). So that the Holy Bible is clear: those who have been preached about the only begotten Son of God, even Jesus Christ, and yet would not believe on Him, is condemned already even while still in this mortal life.

    This goes on to say that Muslims, Hindus, and others, who, despite the clear and diligent preaching of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ to them, continues in wilfull and hard unbelief, is already condemned, even while still living in this world. This is a hard saying, but this is true.

    Regarding children and autistic, I should remind you that our Lord extolled these little beings as "of such is the Kingdom of Heaven (or of God)", so that our Lord Jesus Christ wants us to emulate childlikeness and the purity and innocence of the autistics and the children, for according to Him, unless we humble ourselves and become as little children, then we shall not enter nor see the Kingdom of God and of heaven.

    Is this not answer enough to you?

    Let me remind you that if you would just seek, the Holy Bible is complete and full of answers to all your questions regarding human salvation, if you only would let the Holy Ghost come into your heart.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by FocusAlert
    eternal life = epitome of boredom
    And then you also asked in your previous post, "And who wants an eternal life anyway?"

    Let me just say that God our Father in heaven does not force us, and will not force us, to salvation. That is not His way, that is not His personality, to force and to compel His creation into salvation, and neither is it His holy will to use stratagem and artifice to induce us to follow Him into salvation.

    That is not His way. That is not His manner of doing things.

    For, as the holy prophet Isaiah says in Chapter 55 Verses 8 through 11:

    For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

    Here, it is God the Father in heaven Himself that is speaking to us, through the prophet Isaiah. Truly, we may wonder, why would not God have created a means whereby not one would be not saved, but everyone would be saved? But this is not His way.

    Rather, the way of the Lord is righteousness and holiness, for as the Psalmist says, in Psalm 145:17:

    The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.

    God our Father in heaven, in His eternal wisdom and in bringing about the great Plan of our Salvation, has created in us humans the so called "freedom of the will" or "free agency", so that we have the power of will, of choice, of thinking about choices, and of choosing which choice we will get, and do, and act upon. And in His eternal justice God has placed before us either life or death, good or evil, righteousness or wickedness, for us to choose, using our own free will and free agency, without force or compulsion.

    It is only in the exercise of the free will in doing good or in doing wrong that we, humans, become developed in holy beings or evil beings, following the good or following the evil, doing the Words of God or doing the words of the devil, obeying God our Father in heaven or obeying Lucifer and his angels.

    Do not ever think that God will force you to be saved, that He will compel you to salvation, if you willfully and with full knowledge choose otherwise, if you willfully and with full knowledge and intent choose not to follow Him, after hearing His Words of invitation to eternal life, holiness, peace, and love.

    God will not force you, for He has given you that freedom of choice, that faculty of the will, to choose for yourself, whom ye will serve, as Joshua says in the Book of Joshua. No, but should you choose not to follow Him, but choose to follow Satan and Lucifer, then He will allow it, for that is your choice. But you will indeed suffer the consequences, for He is also a just God.

    So that therefore, what God can do is to preach to us through His prophets and through the Holy Bible, to invite us to come unto Him through His Son our Lord Jesus Christ, and to believe in Him and in the prophets that He sent to us, and to do His will. He can only invite, and through the Holy Spirit, inspire us to do good. But He will never force us to salvation, nor compel us to what He wants us to do.

    This is the way of the Lord. This is His way. Force and compulsion is not His way, but is the way of Satan or Lucifer and his angels.

    I say, therefore, choose ye this day, whom ye will serve. But as for me and mine house, we shall serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:15)

  13. #13
    God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks, please. Cash and in small bills.


  14. #14
    LAGOT KA!!! :p
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    in people's 201
    but to sin against the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit, to blaspheme Him, to despise His Words, the Holy Bible, and not to believe the same in spite of "so great a cloud of witnesses", is to commit the unpardonable sin, the sin which cannot be forgiven either in this world or in the world to come.
    Oops does that mean that I forfeit my chance of being saved? What ever happened to John 3:16? What if time came that I truly and genuinely believed in Jesus Christ? If I'm not gonna be saved since I have committed this "unpardonable sin" then John 3:16 is not entirely true. Umm is this the same holy spirit that ordered the slaughter of innocent children?

    "And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle. And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house where there was not one dead." (Exodus 12:29-30)

    Rape and kill women?

    "Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." (Isaiah 13:15-16)

    Wow I really would like to read the bible for these great horror stories!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by FocusAlert
    "And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle. And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house where there was not one dead." (Exodus 12:29-30)

    Rape and kill women?

    "Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." (Isaiah 13:15-16)

    Wow I really would like to read the bible for these great horror stories!
    Better understand these events in the proper context. The Egyptians here and the Canaanites in the book of Joshua suffered the same fate. Both Egyptians and Canaanites (Isali mo na ang Sodom and Gomorrah). All of them were warned first before these things happened to them. Warned extensively, shown great miraculous signs but did they heed

    Everybody wants God to be a merciful and understanding God. But because He is God, He is JUST as well. And He will dispense justice.

    Now you will say paano naman yung mga iba dun na inosente? Remember we should not be too concerned with the first death but its the second death where the punishment really lies.


    Does God intend these to be horror stories? YES. But compared to the final chapter, these will be mere teenage slasher flicks.

  16. #16
    Everybody wants God to be a merciful and understanding God. But because He is God, He is JUST as well. And He will dispense justice.
    justice? what does the christian god know about justice? i'll just quote a very nice book cause i doubt i can say it any better than this:

    'Justice' is not a divine concept; it is a human illusion. The very basis of the Judeo-Christian code is injustice, the scapegoat system. The scapegoat sacrifice runs all through the Old Testament, then it reaches its height in the New Testament with the notion of the Martyred Redeemer. How can justice possibly be served by loading your sins on another? Whether it be a lamb having its throat cut ritually, or a Messiah nailed to a cross and 'dying for your sins.' Somebody should tell all of Yahweh's followers, Jews and Christians, that there is no such thing a free lunch.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by FocusAlert
    Oops does that mean that I forfeit my chance of being saved? What ever happened to John 3:16? What if time came that I truly and genuinely believed in Jesus Christ? If I'm not gonna be saved since I have committed this "unpardonable sin" then John 3:16 is not entirely true. Umm is this the same holy spirit that ordered the slaughter of innocent children?
    You have not read carefully John 3:16. The verse says that "that anyone who believes on Him (on Jesus Christ) should not perish, but have everlasting life (or eternal life)". Clearly, therefore, only they who believe, and believe in sincerity and humility of heart, on the Lord Jesus Christ and His eternal Gospel, and do His teachings and live them, will be saved, and will have eternal life in them.

    This verse therefore clearly and plainly excludes from salvation and eternal life those who, after having heard the preaching of the holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ through His ministers or through the Holy Bible, and having been invited by the Holy Ghost to believe such, but still in the hardness and wilfull contumacy of the heart reject such invitation to salvation, and wilfully continue still in sin after being preached righteousness, and wilfully and knowingly and intentionally reject the message of God and His servants and the message of the Holy Bible. Such will never receive of God's salvation.

    The verse is very clear. John 3:16 makes no prevarication nor ambiguity to arise to those who read it clearly.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by gakutokamui
    justice? what does the christian god know about justice? i'll just quote a very nice book cause i doubt i can say it any better than this:
    Your very words tell of your utter ignorance of what justice is all about. Let me tell you that God is a God of justice. Justice is the eternal virtue of giving someone his due. Hence, when we sin, justice will demand that we pay for the consequences of such sin, for there is a law prohibiting such sin.

    But there is also mercy, and God is also a God of mercy, and not just a God of justice. The interplay of justice and mercy in the eternal plan of God should be one of the most important knowledge every person must have. If God would not mete out justice, He will cease to be God. He must always be just.

    Yet, there is one antidote to justice, and that is mercy and love. So that justice can be tempered by mercy. We can never pay for the demands of justice because of our sins. But we still have to pay for it. But we cannot. Hence the need of a Saviour, Someone who can pay for our sins, to satisfy the demands of eternal justice. And God then chose His Son, Jesus Christ, to satisfy this eternal demand of justice.

    So that what we cannot pay towards eternal justice, Jesus Christ did, and paid for the same, eternally, through His sacrifice on the Cross at Calvary. By this ultimate sacrifice, the very Son of God paid the demands of justice, which demand we humans can never pay. And we must pay for the same, if ever we can be saved. But we cannot, hence the need of a Saviour, the need of an eternal sacrifice by an eternal Being, Jesus Christ, to satisfy this demand of justice.

    Having done thus, we have the choice: letting ourselves be governed by justice, or letting ourselves be governed by mercy. If we accept the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ in our lives, then we let mercy cover us from the pains and demands of justice. But if we do not, through the willfull hardness of our hearts, accept this sacrifice by our Lord Jesus Christ, then justice will surely overtake us, not having mercy to cover us from the rightful demands of justice.

    Remember that justice is always there; it is eternal. If we let justice have its own full sway, then none of us can be saved, none of us can stand justified before the holiness of God. But because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, eternal and priceless, able to satisfy the demands of this eternal and irrepressible justice, then we can be saved, if we accept this mercy from God through Jesus Christ His Son's sacrifice on the Cross at Calvary, and by doing so, we shield ourselves from the automatic burden of justice by the covering arms of mercy.

    Such is the eternal plan of God. I will next week discuss more on this topic, for the enlightenment of all here at Pinoy Exchange, for I see that most of the PExers here do not understand clearly the meaning of justice in the Holy Bible, and the importance of mercy, and their interrelationship.

    If you would just read and study the parable of the just judge and his son posted by easter above, you will realize the interplay of justice and mercy here. In that wonderful parable, the son has to pay for his guilt. Justice says so that he has to pay. And the penalty that he has to pay is 20 lashes at the back by a soldier. Justice demands that he has to pay for his guilt by undergoing such pain and punishment. But there is also mercy. The mercy of the father of the guilty, the judge himself, covered the son with the arms of the father-judge, so that, once the soldier began inflicting the 20 lashes on the body of the son, the lashes did not hurt the son but actually the father-judge. But justice must go on. The soldier must go on to lash 20 times; justice is blind; it must do its part; it must lash 20 times, to appease itself, and to satisfy its demands, for justice is irrepressible and eternal.

    The only thing that the judge-father can do, in order to save the son from the 20 lashes from the soldier (from justice), is, through mercy, cover the body of the son from the lashes of the soldier, and as such let his own body suffer the lashes from the soldier (justice). The judge cannot say to the soldier to stop lashing on him, or on the son. He cannot say that, nor command that, because by doing so he would become not just, unjust, obstructing the flow of justice.

    What the judge-father can do is to cover the body of his son with his own body, so that the son will not suffer the penalty, but his own body will. Now what made the father-judge do that? Love. And because of love, he covered the body of the son with mercy, and by covering the guilty with mercy, justice still demanded its own way, but the guilty was also saved.

    Study the parable, and then you will know. I will, next week, post a lengthy treatise regarding the interrelationship of justice and mercy in the eternal plan of our salvation, for the enlightenment of all here at Pinoy Exchange.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by gakutokamui
    justice? what does the christian god know about justice?
    Everything. In fact He gave the perfect scenario wherein MERCY and JUSTICE kiss.

    The Cross

  20. #20
    I Love You This Much

    By LaDawn Risenmay

    Four years old—and he taught me one of the most important truths in the whole wide universe.


    I was lounging in a comfortable living room chair reading a magazine when my four-year-old brother walked into the room, his arms overflowing with toys. Normally I would have told him to play in his room because he is too noisy and I would have to clean up after him. But since I knew he wouldn’t want to do that, I decided not to start a fight I probably wouldn’t win.

    He deposited his toys in the middle of the floor and began to play, making appropriate noises for each of his stuffed animals as he picked them up. I laughed, to which he responded with a pouting lower lip.

    “Come here, Blake,” I called to him, putting my magazine down. He climbed into my lap. I gave him a hug and said, “I love you,” unconsciously starting his favorite game.

    “I love you more,” he insisted, returning my hug.

    “No way! I love you more!” I demanded, squeezing him tighter.

    He crawled down from my lap. “I love you this much,” he said, stretching his arms out as far as they would go, grunting from the strain.

    I stretched my arms out and said, “Well, I love you this much,” which was more because my arms are nearly twice the length of his.

    “I love you as much as this whole room.”

    I came back with, “I love you as much as this house.”

    “I love you as much as the whole world.”

    “I love you as much as the whole universe!” I thought I had won because he doesn’t know what the universe is.

    “I love you as much as Jesus,” he said surely.

    I smiled. He had won. I knew I couldn’t beat that. I asked him to give me a kiss, and he did—a nice wet one on my cheek.

    I was not surprised that he had thought of it and I hadn’t. It seems that many of us forget what Sunbeams seem to know so well—that Jesus Christ loves us.


    © 2005 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





X