PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: Rain or Shine Blows Out Kia

The Rain or Shine Elasto Painters defeated Kia Sorento in a blowout, 117-88.

read more

FEATURE: Expectations for Gilas 3.0

With Chot Reyes out of the picture and the Gilas program 'under review', JPM ponders on the possibilities that may happen in the new Gilas.

read more

PEx Halloween: Pinoy Horror Stories

Nakakita ka na ba ng aswang o multo? Nakaramdam ng masamang spirito at mga maligno? Kwento mo na dito!

read more

REVIEW: Beauty in a Bottle

Beauty in a Bottle is worth the look thanks to its witty and poignant script and terrific performances from its cast.

read more

Inflatable robot Baymax takes the spotlight!

In Disney's Big Hero 6, a plus-sized inflatable robot named Baymax makes a difference in the life of teen prodigy Hiro Hamada.

read more

PHOTOS: 'Captain Hook' Too Much for Ginebra

Mac Cardona impressed in a vintage 'Captain Hook' performance, putting up 25 points and 6 rebounds to lead NLEX over Ginebra, 97-81.

read more

DAYUM! heavy stuff for screwing up at UP!

a forumer at peyups.com posted this. i was surpised because the principals were fired from UP years back (1997???) i didn't know the case was brought to the sandigan.

i knew dr. posadas way back. he was not the most likable professor around. a former NPA officer, he was imprisoned for much of the marcos years. an aloof and often arrogant academic, he was responsible for improving the UP physics department into the country's top physics institute (though others deserve equal credit). his trouble began when he led a program to develop a new course, technology management. the project bombed and roger got into trouble with some funds issue.

BUT I DON'T THINK ONE SHOULD SPEND 17 YEARS IS GAOL JUST FOR THAT!!!
    --------------
    Ex-UP profs found guilty of graft

First posted 10:36pm (Mla time) June 30, 2005
    By Nelson Flores, Inquirer News Service

THE SANDIGANBAYAN sentenced to 17 years imprisonment early this week two former University of the Philippines officials after finding them guilty of graft and unethical conduct.

Found "guilty beyond reasonable doubt" of violating Section 3(e) of Republic Act No. 3019 (Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act) and Section 7(b) of RA 6713 (Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees) were former UP Diliman Chancellor and faculty member Roger Posadas, and Vice-Chancellor and Officer-in-Charge of the Office of the Chancellor Rolando Dayco.

The 23-page decision, penned by Fourth Division Associate Justice Jose Hernandez, also "perpetually disqualified" Posadas and Dayco from holding public office. The accused were also directed to "jointly and severally indemnify" the government in the amount of P336,000.
    Last edited by mac_bolan00; Jul 2, 2005 at 12:48 PM.

a upian screwing up?!?!?!?

nakaka-antok ha!

Curious enough though, Dr. Posadas was my STS professor back in 2001. Alam ko may pending case na siya nun, still he was able to teach then.

Kakatuwa nga eh, natutulog siya kapag may nagrereport ahehehe

what's sad is, if this happened in a private school, they'll just fire him and charge the students higher fees to cover the loss.

i hate the Government!

He is just an incompetent power tripper but he does not deserve 17 years. If he pocketed a lot of money maybe. So many corrupt officials and billionaires who are tax evaders are laughing their way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by ˇntensˇty1214
    a upian screwing up?!?!?!?

nakaka-antok ha!

We have a Filipino screwing the Philippines.

"Lapse in judgment" daw e.

Nyeta.

Bah, that's just bullcrap. 17 years?

Maybe it's because I just read the Fraternity threads..

Let me just do some research and get my facts straight, but right now I'm thinking Nemo Me Impune Lacessit ..

what about that new engineering building i heard the dean was charged for getting kickbacks for the construction. any details on that.!?

The issue in the extended article I read in the Philippine Star was the fact that Posadas appointed his Vice Chancellor as his OIC. Then the VC-OIC "appointed" Posadas as a private consultant for the Technology Management program to the tune of a few hundred thousand pesos.

If such gross manipulation of his position for financial gain isn't worth 17 years, I don't know what is. That was, and still is, public money that Posadas misappropriated for himself.

Two former UP officials get 17 years for graft, unethical conduct
    By Delon Porcalla
    The Philippine Star 07/01/2005

Two former officials of the state-owned University of the Philippines were each given a 17-year jail term after the Sandiganbayan found them guilty of graft and unethical conduct.

Former UP Diliman campus chancellor and faculty member Roger Posadas and vice chancellor Rolando Dayco were "perpetually barred" from holding public office and ordered to indemnify the government a total of P336,000.

In a 23-page resolution, justices of the fourth division of the Sandiganbayan — where cases against erring public officials are heard and tried — found the two men accountable when Dayco, whom Posadas had earlier appointed as officer in charge-chancellor, designated the latter as a director of a project sometime in 1995.

Court records showed Posadas was appointed director of a project institutionalizing the management of technology in the university, which is overseen by the Technology Management Center under the Office of the Chancellor.

Records showed that Posadas’ post as project director lasted for one year, for which he received a P30,000 monthly salary on top of the pay and benefits he regularly received as UP chancellor and faculty member.

In another incident, Dayco had also appointed Posadas as consultant to the project, for which he received P100,000 as a consultancy fee apart from his salary as chancellor and faculty member, according to the Sandiganbayan.

"There is evidence on record to support the finding that there is indeed evident bad faith on the part of both accused. Being the highest officials of UP Diliman, they knew very well the limitations of Dayco’s authority as OIC-chancellor," the Sandiganbayan ruled.

Justices Gregory Ong, Rodolfo Ponferrada and Jose Hernandez noted that since Posadas’ authority as chancellor was merely "delegated" to him by the UP Board of Regents, "he could not validly delegate it to Dayco."

"Posadas’ authority to appoint directors and consultants is merely a delegated authority to the chancellor, which he used to occupy during the material dates alleged in the information," the anti-graft court said.

The magistrates said both men knew appointing Posadas as project director and consultant was beyond Dayco’s powers as OIC-chancellor.

They also said Posadas had engaged in unauthorized private practice as a technology manager when Dayco appointed him as a project consultant.

AFAIK, Rolly Dayco is a member of Alpha Sigma and had quiet a few run-ins with a certain fraternity in the early 90s and Roger Posadas has been known to have helped the Scintilla Juris several times, I dare say that a certain very influential UP fraternity has an axe to grind.

In other words, not only is it political, it's also personal.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMoney
    AFAIK, Rolly Dayco is a member of Alpha Sigma and had quiet a few run-ins with a certain fraternity in the early 90s and Roger Posadas has been known to have helped the Scintilla Juris several times, I dare say that a certain very influential UP fraternity has an axe to grind.

I'm not a fan of fraternities but hauling their asses to the Sandiganbayan seems like a stretch to me just to settle scores. Unless the Sandiganbayan judges are members of this "very influential UP fraternity" that you're not naming?

If you're going to gossip, you might as well go the whole way.

you said you were going to research on the matter and you came up with this?

you're a lawyer, right?

Nope, I'm an armchair lawyer. I don't have a law degree but I'm better than most lawyers, hehe.

I didn't have the time to research and I'm a bit out of touch with what's happening in politics. It's just that, "fact-based gossip" if there is such a thing. I could be very wrong that's why I neglected to name that certain fraternity.

All I know is that with the current problems of GMA, a high-stakes power grab is happening behind the scenes. It's a zero-sum game and everyone wants a piece.

It might be hard for some to understand, esp. non-Frat men but right now that's the way it is. And it's not because of scores thay have to settle when they were in campus, sometimes it's more than that. For example several of my brods are currently fighting for their jobs in a gov't agency because a contemporary of theirs from UP and a member of a rival fraternity was named to a powerful position.

16. Advertisement

Bow Unto Thee

Since you're not going to name the Frat anyways, I'm guessing it's Sigma Rho.

Sigma Rho definitely has a hand behind the political uncertainties in the Phils right now.

Drilon and co. are outplaying Mikey's Aquila Legis right now.

Quote Originally Posted by g0d
    Since you're not going to name the Frat anyways, I'm guessing it's Sigma Rho.

Sigma Rho definitely has a hand behind the political uncertainties in the Phils right now.

Drilon and co. are outplaying Mikey's Aquila Legis right now.

^^

i thought Sigma Rho and Alpha Sigma are not at odds w/ each other. did they actually have a rumble in the past?

the only fraternity that i know of who is an "enemy" of both Scintilla Juris and Alpha Sigma is Pi Sigma.

since the verdict has been handed down automatic naman yan sa supreme court pupunta yan! sana wag tuluran ang mga ganitong magnanakaw sa gobyerno. kung me mga ibang corrupt officials na di pa nasentensyahan o di pa nakakasuhan ay dahil nakakahanap sila ng loop-hole sa ating batas o di kaya malakas ang influensya nila sa nakatataas. me mga proseso tayo sinusunod upang patunayan na nagkasala ang mga akusado at sa tingin ko nabigyan sya ng pagkakataon na idepensa sa pamamagitan ng abugado nya. siguro malakas ebidensya laban sa kanya o di kaya me mga bagay na di dapat nyang pinirmahan kaya sya ay nasangkot sa ganitong anomalya. o talagang mahina abogado nya.

pero alam mo naman na me karapatan ang bawat akusado the right for a speedy trial! meron din tayong kasabihan na justice delayed is justice denied! at para naman sa mg pribadong institution na me mga nagnanakaw na empleyado yan po ay discretion ng may ari ng kompanya, kung gusto po nya magsampa ng demanda kung walang magrereklamo at magdedemanda ay di mapaparusahan ang nagkasala. ngayon para sa mga kompanya na nandadaya sa gobyerno katulad ng di pagbayad ng buwis yan ay kinakasuhan.