Well here are the health consequences of smoking (supported by studies):
1. Coronary artery disease leading to heart attack.
3. Abdominal aortic aneurysm.
4. Peripheral vascular disease - insufficient blood supply to the legs especially with exertion causing pain.
5. Thromboangiitis obliterans - may lead to limb amputation (and I'm sure Ira has seen some of these patients at PGH!).
6. Lung cancer - smoking responsible for 87% of lung cancers.
7. Cancer of the head and neck.
8. Cancer of the esophagus.
9. Cancer of the bladder.
10. Cancer of the kidneys.
11. Cancer of the pancreas.
12. Cancer of the stomach.
13. Cancer of the cervix.
14. Chronic bronchitis and emphysema - destroyed lungs leading to shortness of breath and sometimes requiring one to be on oxygen all the time.
15. Increased risk of pneumothorax - disruption of the lining of the lung which may require placement of a draining tube to re-expand your lung!
16. Chronic laryngitis.
17. Stomach ulcers.
18. Delayed and difficulty in conceiving children.
19. Low birth weight babies.
20. Increased risk of spontaneous abortion.
21. Increased risk of fetal demise including neonatal death (sudden infant death syndrome).
22. Long term impairment of a child's physical and intellectual development - puedeng ma-jologs ang anak mo!
1. Tobacco is responsible for more deaths PER YEAR in the US than ALL US military fatalities in WW1, WW2 and Vietnam COMBINED!
2. Tobacco is responsible for: 21% of deaths due to heart disease, 18% of deaths due to stroke, and 30% of deaths due to cancer. And importantly for your loved ones, about 30% of lung cancer in non-smokers is DUE TO SECONDHAND SMOKE!
3. Someone smoking at least a pack a day has 25 TIMES the risk of having lung cancer than a nonsmoker.
For those of you who smoke, just wanted you all to know clearly what you are in store for. Let me add that if you hapen to get any of these cancers, they usually present at a stage where they are INCURABLE! And if you will note, those who inhale your smoke are more likely not only to get lung cancer but to get other thing like asthma attacks if they are so predisposed! So STOP NOW!!