Surplus Diesel Engine or Complete Overhaul? | Cars and Motoring | PinoyExchange

PEx Highlights

Must Watch: The Voice PH Kids Finals

Sino ang bagong kiddie champion ng The Voice Kids? Makikilala na this weekend.

read more

UAAP Season 78 Courtside Reporters

UAAP season 78 is back with a new set of lovely courtside reporters who are all ready to be the voice of the game. Are you ready to meet the girls?Check out this thread

read more

#TravelGoals

Where to go next? What to do after your last big travel? Are you ready for a solo trip? Share us your travel goals in this thread.

read more

Moving On Songs

We just close a chapter, but we continue to turn pages. What are your moving on songs? Share us your hymn!

read more

Gilas Pilipinas

24 ballers were named for the Gilas Pilipinas pool. Are you satisfied with the list? Speak your mind here!

read more

Review: Inside Out

TeamPEx gives you 10 reasons why you should watch Inside Out. Find out why this movie is truly a must watch!

read more

Surplus Diesel Engine or Complete Overhaul?

What do the knowledgeable people here think is better? The engine of my ride conked out and I'm trying to decide whether to buy a surplus engine or have a complete overhaul done.

The old engine is an Isuzu c190 (or 240, I'm not sure).

I've consulted a lot of people already, and divided ang results.

Pros and cons:

Surplus:
    + mabilis kasi salpak na lang agad (di na aabutin ng ilang linggo)
    + mas makakatipid (daw)
    + makakapili pa ng mas mura na surplus engine (puede naman kasi toyota ilagay, which is cheaper than most isuzu engines)
    - di sigurado sa condition ng makina (unless baklasin ng mekaniko bago bilhin)
    - may hassle pa sa rehistro sa Crame
    - mas mahal (daw)

Complete Overhaul:
    + sigurado bago lahat
    + mas makakatipid (daw)
    + di na kelangan paayos ang rehistro
    - mas mahal (daw)
    - mas matagal bago magawa
    - mahirap daw humanap ng parts ng Isuzu

Ano kaya?

What exactly is wrong with your current engine? Cracked cylinder head? Loose compression? Injection pump? This can help in giving some inputs on what path to take.

If you go overhaul, have you canvassed on the parts needed?

On the surplus engine, its suggested to get a compression test and to change parts like timing belt, bearings, thermostat, gaskets, check the fuel system, etc... as well so that you can start clean and can minimize the possible problems (parang minor overhaul na rin).

However, if you get a surplus, i'd suggest an Isuzu, Nissan, or Mitsu diesel engine over a Toyota. I was told before that TOyota diesels (esp. the old ones) arent that great when compared to Isuzu and Nissan diesels.