2 4.08%
Page 1 of 33 1 2 11 ... Last

Thumbs up Memoirs of a Geisha

exciting ha... Steven Spielberg pala ang producer

====================

Zhang bests HK stars for role in Spielberg film
    Posted: 11:34 PM (Manila Time) | Jul. 20, 2004
    Agence France-Presse

HONG KONG -- Two darlings of Hong Kong cinema, Maggie Cheung and former Bond girl Michelle Yeoh, have lost out on the lead role in Steven Spielberg's next movie to China's Zhang Ziyi, a report said Monday.

Spielberg is producing the adaptation of best-seller Memoirs of a Geisha in a long-awaited project that will start filming in September.

Malaysian-born action heroine Yeoh and Hong Kong's Cheung, who won the Best Actress award at this year's Cannes Film Festival, had both reportedly auditioned for the part.

But Zhang, best known for her role in martial arts flick "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," was said to have won the part because she could "dance and sing well".

According to Apple Daily newspaper paper, she had recently flown to Hollywood to audition with "Chicago" director Rob Marshall.

She studied acting at the prestigious China Central Drama Academy in Beijing and has had six years of dance training.

"Memoirs of a Geisha," by American writer Arthur Golden, tells the story of a young girl who rises to the top of Japan's cut-throat hostess industry.

Am I living it right??
    good book....

futurama_lover
    I do think Yeoh might be too old for the part.
    Zhang's age is almost the same as when Sayuri (tama ba? hmmm got to look at the book again) was in her peak.
    i can picture her in the role...

I liked this book. A lot of info... if i remember it well, the real Sayuri didn't like how the author wrote the book or something...

Ohhh.. I'm excited... Mizuwage, anyone?

LOL @ my_SebaSTiaNnE!

By the way, it's actually spelled "mizuage" in the book.

Anyway, I'm really glad that the screen adaptation of "MoaG" will finally push through. Tagal nang may talks about it eh, pero 'di naman natutuloy.

Maggie and Michelle are too old to play Sayuri. Pwede pa siguro si Michelle as Mameha, though...

I wonder who'll play Hatsumomo.

futurama_lover
    thanks for correcting me... i actually didn't include the 'w' at first.. aheheheh...

they'll probably get a lot of japanese or chinese-looking actors and actresses (basta singkit)... probably mixed... like in the joy luck club...
    it'll look a little weird if they'll get someone who won't look the part... eheheh... and some would probably be unknown.. new faces...

^^ You're welcome.

True, true. But if you think about it, their faces will be hidden under lots of make-up anyway, so literally, "new faces" talaga sila, teehee!

Hmm... I've always imagined Richard Gere as the Chairman. Pwede naman, 'di ba? He has chinky eyes, and he's probably of the same age range as him. Not to mention that he's really charismatic and handsome!

wow i wana watch this movie...m curious to know hu would play hatsumomo and mameha

happy go lucky
    i thought Maggie Cheung supposed to play the role of hatsumomo not sayuri...

i've read this book...its pretty good i hope the movie's good too

Originally posted by my_SeBaSTiaNnE
    I liked this book. A lot of info... if i remember it well, the real Sayuri didn't like how the author wrote the book or something...
    according to the introduction of the book, sayuri is totally fictional. there's no such person in real life. while reading the novel, i was totally convinced that the events were based in real life and that the characters are real. it was only when i read the introduction (yes, i read it after i finished the book) that i found out that it's pure fiction. mas lalo ako bumilib kay arthur golden! baka you're referring to golden's writing partner/resource person? her name is mineko iwasaki. sayuri might have been based on her life story, but there are differences here and there.

anyway, sana naman matuloy na yung screen adaptation. ilang years na yan nabibitin. dati si tom cruise yung gusto ni spielberg for the role of the Chairman. sino na kaya ngayon?

oh there's a movie? i hope it turns out okay.. i loved the book.

i loved the book..

i hope the movie will turn out good..

ngek! eh diba ****** yun! so mag-aral pa siya ng japanese?!

WOW! no way! movie is coming? wow.

Sana hindi si zhang si sayuri! mas maganda kung iba.

I used to imagine how mameha, hatsummumo, sayuri and even pumpkin would look like in the big screen.

can't wait.

Sana yung Japanese na babae sa "Last Samurai" ni Tom Cruz na lang ang leading lady. Maganda sya di ba.

I think she's too old for that role (Last Samurai lady). Pwede pa siya siguro as Mameha?

I'm so looking forward to this movie!

happy go lucky
    oo nga dapat japanese actress na lang na mag-play ng role ni sayuri. ang problema nga lang kasi eh mas kilala ang mga chinese actresses.

zhang ziyi . she's perfect for the role (although she's not japanese).

maggie cheung should play mameha. as for hatsumomo, pwede si shu qi (too close).

can't wait.

wow... tagal ko na tong hinihintay...

i agree.. while reading the book.. .it's as though it was real... so many climax... dragging... i hope faithful and movie sa book

wow... tagal ko na tong hinihintay...

i agree.. while reading the book.. .it's as though it was real... so many climax... dragging...

Page 1 of 33 1 2 11 ... Last