PEx Highlights

REVIEW: Beauty in a Bottle

Beauty in a Bottle is worth the look thanks to its witty and poignant script and terrific performances from its cast.

read more

PHOTOS: Purefoods Back to Winning Ways

Mark Barroca starred in a furious 2nd half comeback win against the GlobalPort, scoring 25 points for Purefoods.

read more

PEx Halloween: Pinoy Horror Stories

Nakakita ka na ba ng aswang o multo? Nakaramdam ng masamang spirito at mga maligno? Kwento mo na dito!

read more

FEATURE: Expectations for Gilas 3.0

With Chot Reyes out of the picture and the Gilas program 'under review', JPM ponders on the possibilities that may happen in the new Gilas.

read more

Inflatable robot Baymax takes the spotlight!

In Disney's Big Hero 6, a plus-sized inflatable robot named Baymax makes a difference in the life of teen prodigy Hiro Hamada.

read more

PHOTOS: Aces Demolish Bolts

Alaska went on a demolition job against Meralco, defeating the Bolts by an embarrassing 41-point deficit, 105-64.

read more

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

RoRo to Caticlan

Hi! My family is thinking about trying out the RoRo (Roll-on, Roll-off; Strong Republic Nautical Highway) to go to Caticlan/Boracay this summer. I would greatly appreciate your comments if you've tried it (or know anyone who has). How long is the travel time? Is it safe? Any recommended pitstops along the way? Tnx!

got this from my files hth

Travel - THE PHILIPPINE 1
    THE PHILIPPINE BEAT-BORACAY BY BUS

We're used to flying to BORACAY from Manila. Now, people who wish to spend their vacation in Boracay can go there for less than P800 @ 14 HOURS bus ride --- you only have to prepare P740 to take you to the island via a convenient bus ride from CUBAO, QUEZON CITY for just a little over half a day.

The bus (BACHELOR EXPRESS) leaves the ALI MALL TERMINAL at 11PM and proceeds to the BATANGAS PORT for a Ro-ro (roll-on, roll-off) ferry trip to CALAPAN, MINDORO, then ROXAS CITY. Passengerswill be transferred then to the Roro MAHARLIKA 3 daily to reach the newly opened CATICLAN JETTY PORT & TERMINAL at 1pm.

The same ferry awaits passengers at 3PM daily and docks at Calapan port for the passengers' 11:30PM trip via RO-RO STARLITE NAUTICA daily to Batangas. Tourists will be back at the Ali Mall Terminal at 4:30AM.

Those who wish to bring their cars to Caticlan are only charged a fee of P1,495 for a car, P1,938 for a van and P5,927 for a 10-wheeler truck/bus. The spacious and secure newly opened Caticlan Jetty Port and Terminal awaits tourists going to Boracay.

--------------------------------------------------

Drive Your Way Down South Via the Strong Republic Nautical Highway 10th April 2003.

You can now bring your car to BORACAY, ILOILO, or even down to DAKAK, through the Strong Republic Nautical Highway starting Saturday, April 12, 2003 and with no hassle at all. Just queue for payment of Terminal Fee, and then you're off to your vacation. The Strong Republic Nautical Highway offers an efficient and shorter way to travel to the Visayas and Mindanao regions plying the western seaboard. The route allows you to hop from one island to another and enjoy the scenery in the comfort of your car.

From Manila, drive to Batangas port, board the RO-RO TO Calapan City. From Calapan you drive south to Roxas where you catch the daily RO-RO trip to Caticlan. RORO vessel leaves Roxas Oriental Mindoro 8:30 am and will dock Caticlan port at around 1:00 p.m. The same RO-RO boat leaves Caticlan 3:00p.m. for Roxas.

Iloilo via Ivisan town is about 4-hour drive from Caticlan. One may drop by Roxas City (about 10 minute drive from Ivisan) to buy some fresh seafoods. Roxas City is the seafood capital of the Philippines. When in Iloilo, one can drop by Guimaras Island to have a taste of Philippine's finest mangos before going further south to Bacolod, then to Dumaguete then finally board the RO-RO to Dapitan, Zamboanga del Norte. You don't want to bring your car? Then ride you way down south instead. Bachelor Express has nightly trip to Caticlan/Iloilo 11:00 pm starting April 11, 2003. Their ticket station and passenger terminal is at Ali Mall in Cubao.

MAIDEN RUN:

11 April 2003 - 11:00 pm, Ali Mall Bus Station (Cubao, Quezon City) Prescribed Trip Schedule - SRNH (Manila-Caticlan-Manila)

ETD from Cubao - 11:00 pm

ETA Batangas - 1:00 am

ETD from Batangas - 2:00 am, RO-RO Starlite Pacific Daily

ETA Calapan - 4:00 am

ETD from Calapan - 5:00 am

ETA Roxas - 7:30 am

ETD from Roxas - 8:30 am, RO-RO Maharlika 3 Daily

ETA Caticlan - 1:00 pm

ETD from Caticlan - 3:00 pm, RO-RO Maharlika 3 Daily

ETA Roxas - 7:30 pm

ETD from Roxas - 8:30 pm

ETA Calapan - 11:00pm

ETD from Calapan - 11:30 pm, RO- RO Starlite Nautica Daily

ETA Batangas - 1:30 am

ETD from Batangas - 2:30 am

ETA Cubao - 4:30am

Trip Schedule - SRNH (Manila-Iloilo-Manila)

ETD from Manila - 11:00 pm

ETA Batangas - 1:00 am

ETD from Batangas - 2:00 am, RO-RO Starlite Pacific Daily

ETA Calapan - 4:00 am

ETD from Calapan - 5:00 am

ETA Roxas - 7:30 am

ETD from Roxas - 8:30 am, RO-RO Maharlika 3 Daily

ETA Caticlan - 1:00 pm

ETD from Caticlan - 2:00 pm

ETA Iloilo - 6:00 pm

ETD Iloilo - 10:00 am

ETA Caticlan - 2:00 pm

ETD from Caticlan (see above schedule for Manila-Caticlan-Manila)

Bachelor Express will be the first to field buses to ply the SRNH route, departing at 11pm daily from the Ali Mall Bus Station, Cubao, Quezon City, and 10am Travel - THE PHILIPPINE 2
    daily from Iloilo City.

ROLLING CARGO RATES

VEHICLE TYPE: 10-Wheeler truck
    ROUTE: Batangas-Calapan
    TERMINAL FEE: P400.00
    FREIGHT CHARGES: P1,750.00
    TOTAL: P2,150.00

VEHICLE TYPE: Buses
    ROUTE: Roxas-Caticlan
    FREIGHT CHARGES: P3,427.00
    TOTAL: P3,827.00

ROUTE: Iloilo-Bacolod
    TERMINAL CHARGES: P400.00
    FREIGHT FEE: P750.00
    TOTAL: P2,150.00

ROUTE: Dumaguete-Dapitan
    FREIGHT CHARGES: P2,900.00
    TOTAL: P3,300.00

VEHICLE TYPE: Cars/Sedan
    TERMINAL FEE: P200.00
    FREIGHT FEE: P370.00
    TOTAL: P570.00

FREIGHT CHARGES: P725.00
    TOTAL: P925.00

FREIGHT CHARGES: P1,472.46
    TOTAL: P1,672.46

FREIGHT CHARGES: P1,620.00
    TOTAL: P1,820.00

VEHICLE TYPE: Vans
    FREIGHT CHARGES: P520.00
    TOTAL: P720.00

FREIGHT CHARGES: P1,018.00
    TOTAL: P1,218.00

FREIGHT CHARGES: P1,472.46
    TOTAL: P1,672.46

FREIGHT CHARGES: P1,780.00
    TOTAL: P1,980.00

PRESCRIBED PASSENGER FARE AND VEHICLE CHARGES - For motorists using the Strong Republic Nautical Highway (SRNH)

ORIGIN-DESTINATION: Manila-Caticlan
    PASSENGER: P740
    CARS: P1,938
    10-WHEELLER TRUCK/BUS: P1,495
    ROLLING VAN/CARGO: P5,927

ORIGIN-DESTINATION: Manila-Iloilo
    PASSENGER: P975
    Cars: P1,938
    ROLLING VANS/CARGO: P5,927

ORIGIN-DESTINATION: Batangas-Caticlan
    PASSENGER: P621.28

ORIGIN-DESTINATION: Batangas-Iloilo
    PASSENGER: P856

ORIGIN-DESTINATION: Calapan-Caticlan
    PASSENGER: P511.28
    CARS: P1,218
    10-WHEELLER TRUCK: P925
    ROLLING VANS/CARGO: P3,827

ORIGIN-DESTINATION: Calapan-Iloilo
    PASSENGER: P746.28
    CARS: P1,218
    10-WHEELLER TRUCK/BUS: P925
    ROLLING VANS/CARGO: P3,827

ORGIN-DESTINATION: Manila-Dapitan
    PASSENGER: P1,549.70
    CARS: P5,590.46
    1-WHEELLER TRUCK/BUS: P4,987.46
    ROLLING VAN/CARGO: P12,227

PASSENGER FARE

ROUTE: Manila-Batangas
    FARE: P118.72*
    MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION: Aircon Bus

FARE: P110
    MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION: RO-RO Boat

ROUTE: Calapan-Roxas
    FARE: P155.68*
    MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION: Aircon Bus

FARE: P210
    MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION: RO-RO Boat

ROUTE: Manila-Caticlan
    FARE: P740**
    MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION: Aircon Bus & Boat

ROUTE: Manila-Iloilo
    FARE: P875** (Aircon Bus & Boat Fare)

FARE: P165 (Fastcraft)

ROUTE: Bacolod-Dumaguete
    FARE: P239.70* (Aircon Bus)

FARE: P170*** (RO-RO Boat)

* distance in Km x PhP 1.12
    ** 1 NMile = 1.82Km Total Km x Php 1.12
    *** Minimum rate

jellybeaniebaby
    I tried it las January. Although I wouldn't describe the experience horrible (we're roadtrip freaks - we're used to a lot of things ... and we've developed a lot of patience already), it may seem that way to first-timers.

The Batangas-Calapan (Mindoro) is OK. Boats travel every other hour - so you won't have problems there. I'm sure of that because Mindoro is my parent's hometown. And the ferry ride will take about 2 hours.

The ride from Calapan to Roxas is bumpy. Roxas is your next pier. And that's when your problem starts. Only few boats ply the Roxas-Caticlan route - and they have limited capacity. At best, they can accomondate 20-30 cars. But then, cargo trucks and buses and loooooong truck-like jeeps also board the ferries, so do the math ...

Our experience? We got stuck on 2 piers (along the Roxas-Caticlan route). Once on our way to Boracay, @ the Roxas port - because one ferry broke down, and we had to wait for the next ferry. We were stuck there for about 12 hours. We were lucky - others had to wait for a day or so for their ride. Trucks had to wait 3 days (they're last priority, you see, if they carry non-perishable items).

There's an alternate route - although, this will take you longer. From Roxas, you may board a ferry bound for Odiongan, Romblom. From there, you board another boat bound for Caticlan. Both ferries are RORO - you may bring your cars with you.

We also got stuck in the Caticlan pier. It was peak season - and we heard that a lot of passengers got stuck for about 3 days. We got stuck for 12 hours. We were on the tail end of the very looooong queue.

It wasn't so bad - not for us. But next time we go there, we're better off leaving our cars at the Roxas port (a lot of people do this, btw) so that we won't get stuck in ports anymore.

The reason why we couldn't get on the boats is that vehicular capacity was limited - we, as passengers, could get it. Our cars couldn't.

And oh, did I tell you that the Roxas-Caticlan ferry will take about 5 hours - on a good day?

This is not meant to scare you - but I wouldn't suggest it if you don't have the patience to go through it. Ideally, the whole road/ROROtrip from Manila to Caticlan should take about 14 hours. But last January, the trip took us about a day to go there ... and another day to come back.

And I only suggest it if you have a battalion of family, relatives and friends with you. Getting stuck on a loooooooonnnnnngggg trip with only a handful of people is a nightmare - even if you are related to them.

i just came from my boracay vacation via roro. it was a nightmare!

sayang nga e, kung maayos lang yung sistema, magandang alternative sana siya sa plane at barko. i suggest that you try this if you have a lot of time to spare, dahil kung nagmamadali ka, mahuhuli ka talaga.

sana maayos nila yung schedules ng boats, kasi nung nandun kami, stuck sa roxas, mindoro, dalawa lang yung biyaheng ng barko papuntang caticlan: 830am at 2am. eh 9am kami dumating sa roxas, so ikaw na lang bahalang magbilang kung gano kami katagal dun.

until di pa ayos yung schedules, i strongly suggest na magbarko na lang kayo. try superferry or MBRS.

thanks sweet_7326 for the info and lite and maven for sharing your experiences my family and i are still thinking of going thru with the plan (some of us DO have a lot of free time in our hands, hehe) but at least we now know what to expect

but i'm now wondering if taking the bus is any better? would you guys know if the buses are on schedule? do they have priority with the ferries or do you end up being stuck also? kasi what we're thinking of doing now is to maybe ride the bus going there and take the plane going home...

again, thanks for the replies. they were most helpful

jellybeaniebaby
    Yes, cielly, buses have first priority on the boats - which makes private car capacity even more limited.

And Maven is right, only two boats ply the Roxas-Caticlan route - so it's best to know ferry schedules. But just in case you get stuck, ask around for rooms for rent. I believe one a/c room costs Php300/night, complete with a bathroom. It beats spending the night in a car - believe me, I know how that feels like.

The reason why ferry traffic is light along the Roxas-Caticlan route is because there are only few passengers - heavy traffic is considered a seasonal phenomenon (during Christmas and the Holy Week - I don't know about summer, though ... RORO has only been recently started).

So, cielly, I suggest that you take a lot of drawbacks lightly if you do proceed with it. And never forget to eat on time - arguing with empty stomachs is the worst way to sever ties with friends and relatives (just an advice from my tita - the most seasoned traveler in our lot ... )

And I do suggest taking the 2am ferry boat bound for Caticlan. That means leaving Manila after lunch time (the Manila-Roxas trip takes about 7 hours, if things run smoothly).

... and enjoy the view.

tnx lite ! we might very well push thru with it

jellybeaniebaby
    Good luck, cielly. Don't forget to make kwento when you get back!

9. Advertisement

Closing circle
    hi..me and my friends are planning to ride the roro to go to caticlan for our boracay escapade..do we need to have reservation for the bus at cubao? or we jz can go there d day we're leaving..baka kc maubusan *** ng slots for the trip..tnx

Closing circle
    kailangan b mgpareserve s bachelor express for the trip to caticlan or ul jz go there the day ul leave? natatakot kc *** maubusan ng slot coz we hav reservation s hotel in boracay..tnx

jellybeaniebaby
    Why not call ahead just to be sure?

Is it still peak season at Boracay? We are planning to go this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions we will take the super ferry.

jellybeaniebaby
    bendik - peak season starts December and ends sometime June or July ... I think. Basta from Christmas to End of Summer.

Uhm, wait, magkaiba ang SuperFerry sa RoRo ha. Hindi ko lang alam kung merong SuperFerry na papuntang Caticlan (I didn't see one noong nandun kami) - pero may MRBS vessel that ply the Manila-Caticlan route. Hindi siya RoRo - kaya nasa barko lang kayo for about 15-18 hours(?).

The RoRo is explained above.

yes the super ferry docks at dumaguit, 2 hour bus ride to caticlan pa.thanks for informing about the roro. maybe we'll try roro next time when its more dependable

lite, what are the low cost cottages that you would recommend in boracay? saan sila malapit? station 1, 2, 3? thanks

jellybeaniebaby
    For Boracay queries, I think it would be best to check out the Boracay thread. Sobrang raming suggestions doon - lahat mula directions hanggang hotels/accomodations hanggang contact numbers.

We stayed in Cocomangas when I went there last January. I don't think that was cheap. It's in Station 1, btw.

Banned by Admin
    hey you can also ride ng bus sa PHILTRANCO PASAY mas safe daw at di kana matagal mag iintay!

ilang oras ba lahat lahat kung walang mga antay antay na magaganap meaning kung talagang diretso ang biyahe?

jellybeaniebaby
    PEXclubMALE - ideally, it should only take about 12-14 hours, good weather (choppy sea conditions can lengthen ferry travel) and on-time ferry arrival/boarding/departure permitting.

Kahit Philtranco bus pa iyan (they have boarding priority, btw), kapag may abala sa kahit isang leg ng RoRo - mag-aantay at mag-aantay ka pa rin.

http://www.byahengbarok.com
    i took the roro going to caticlan before the holy week... wala lang, just wann experience what it's like travelling on land and sea.

there are 2 buses that ply this strong nautical highway: philtranco (which leave cubao at 7PM) and bachelor express (which leaves cubao at 3PM). i took the philtranco.

in terms of safety, the land travel is pretty safe because there are 3 philtranco buses that simultaneously leave the bus station and wait up for each of the buses in every stop over. (but then, this may be because it's holy week)

the bus trip to batangas port took us 2 1/2 hours. the ferry trip from batangas to caticlan only took us 2 hours. from caticlan to roxas was 2 to 3 hours. but the one from roxas to caticlan was the longest, from 5 to 6 hours.

i travelled a total of 16 to 17 hours. most of the time were spent waiting for the ferry and to board the ferry.

since i'm used to travelling, the whole trip was quite okay for me except for the roxas to caticlan part which was too long for me. but if you're not really into land travelling and prefers the comfort of planes and ferries, i suggest that you do not take the ferry. this ro-ro thing is only for those who can really withstand long hours of travelling without having enough sleep... yet still finds joy in the whole ordeal :-)

sabine
    http://holyweek.tripod.com

http://www.byahengbarok.com
    by the way, bachelor express sells the ticket for 600++ (without the roro fare) and philtranco sells the ticket for 700++. my whole roro trip cost 1100 :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast