PEx Highlights

REVIEW: Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

The Legend Ends is a totally epic conclusion to a heroic tale.

read more

Show Me Your Nahulog na Teeths!

Chelsey takes over hosting duties for this week's episode! She and her guest talk about the big fall from the recently held Cosmo Bachelor Bash.

read more

PHOTOS: La Salle Extends Series vs FEU

Jeron Teng and the DLSU Green Archers had no problems defeating the FEU Tamaraws on Saturday, 94-73.

read more

PROMO: Gone Girl

Join the promo and get a chance to win advance screening tickets to Gone Girl!

read more

RPG: 2014 PEx School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

It's back! Enroll now in the 2014 PinoyExchange School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!

read more

An FEU-NU Matchup in the UAAP Finals?

Well, you guys were calling for an FEU-NU matchup and we wrote about it! Check out our article about a potential Tamaraws-Bulldogs matchup in the UAAP Finals.

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Filipinos now really value education. there are a lot of proofs for this claim. the number of students going to college empahizes this while the ever-increasing number of pre-schools shows that Filipinos are concerned with early eduction as well. but maybe, just maybe, we don't care much about the quality of education our sons and daughters (or us, for the matter) are receiving. there are school, of course, that still offer quality education but if we look @ the general situation of Philippine eduction, what can see say? can we honestly say that we have gone a long way since the 60s or 70s?

UP, which is our state university, used to be one the top universities in Asia but now it's only @ the 26th slot. y do we overlook education now? isn't education a vital foundation for a better future?

i hope this isn't true, but it seems like most filipinos value education just as much as they value connections, a nice house, a brand new car - it's just a way to get around, a passport to a, wealth-wise, better life, a means to get ahead. sadly, it isn't aspired for because of its true value, its very essence - which is its gift of understanding, of knowing.

while it may be true that children are given more in terms of the amount of knowledge they are made to absorb, it hasn't necessarily translated to a wittier, more analytical, more enlivened generation of thinkers. perhaps it is this very emphasis on acquiring more and more facts that has bogged down the system. or maybe it is the impression that school is simply a place where you can get excellent grades to support your claim on a comparatively high entry-level salary (from the level of the parents to the workforce) that has reduced education to a commodity. whatever the real reason may be, it is undeniable that education's real purpose is still largely ignored.

but it isn't as if the situation has worsened over the years. i believe it has always been like that - just more pronounced now, perhaps, because there are more of us who are aware of it. my hope, however, is that this will change in time. when more of us are better able to feed our children, when money isn't the only issue, when families can stop worrying about the daily needs and start wondering about each of their personal growth, the true value of education will resurface. i just hope that teachers and school administrators are keen enough to know how to change the current structure to cater to the student's other needs. and if that is the case, if the current system of schools and teachers are adept at handling this or at least trying to get there, then i would say the quality of education in the philippines seems to be on the rise!

Yes, this is indeed a very sad, but true point which Shiva has pointed out.

Education, for many Filipinos, is just a passport (if I may borrow shiva's word for it) to a better life. It doesn't matter what you finish, where you finish, or how you finish, you just have to graduate! Why do you think there are so many schools in the country considered as 'diploma mills'? Even the trade in fake diplomas hasn't slowed down one bit. Why? Because education is a STATUS SYMBOL.
    However, in the same way that many of us purchase a small square of thermal paper in the hopes of changing our lives by the millions of pesos, there are also others who don't care about the quality of schools they are attending for as long as they graduate. A degree from any university is better than not having anything at all.
    Another cause of the sorry state of Philippine education lies in government priorities. The budget allocation for education is small, compared to the industry's needs. We are so far behind other more developed countries in this respect, simply because we don't have the money to pay our public teachers any better.
    How far the teacher has fallen! Plato once extolled the philosopher-teacher's virtues and characteristics as the best in society. Today, actors and actresses leading scandalous lives earn at least ten times as much as your average teacher. And who, between the actor and the teacher, carries the responsibility of molding the next generation of Filipinos? Will it be Deither Ocampo, or Onofre Pagsanjan?

very well said, shiva! education now is merely a passpost to success. it's a very sad a frightening truth. people do see education as a MEANS and not as an END in itself. they think education is what will bring them money which they believe will bring them happiness as well. isn't this saddening news? i grieve for such students. they aren't able to appreciate or benefit from what education really offers them.

aragon, i believe that if u ask a 'typical' public school teacher (hell! maybe even private school teachers) what education is, they'd simply aswer u that it is attending classes, memorizing some facts, reciting a poem or answering a silly exam. what's more saddening is that there are some colleges that are handled in such a way. Philippine teachers aren't even competitive (not all of course, there are still those great Teachers)! what makes it all the worse is that they themselves do not value education. they even sell longaniza and tinapa in the classroom. truly, the profession of teaching is now being belittled. it's sick that we do not fully comprehend the value of education and how much it can help improve our country. when will we ever learn?

weye: good point. Sadly enough, there are very many people, from both public and private institutions in the primary, secondary and tertiary levels, who settle for 'teaching lang,' as they say. Definitely a far cry from Socrates' philosopher-teacher of the ideal Greek society.

From the kind of work we do, you'd expect we'd get paid more than the President of the country (not counting the grease money, of course).

aragon, i take it that u're a teacher urself. please do correct me if i'm wrong. but if i'm right, please let me salute u for entering into such a noble profession. u're a very dedicated person i suppose.

i'm studying @ UP now and compared to other universities (ADMU & DLSU especially), i believe that our professors are the lowest paid. it's only their dedication towards the profession, their love for the job and their firm belief that through their teaching the next generation will as Rizal said... "mga pag-asa ng bayan." i hope that they're right it's really unfair that teachers should be treated like this. obviously, our government does not realize how much educating its own people will help the country. maybe it's also because our very own president is a high-school drop-out, don't u suppose?

Okay, so people use education to advance themselves. Isn't that perfectly reasonable? Some use their looks, others use connections, still others use force; so why not a college degree? Whether we like it or not, reality dictates that to get ahead in this world, not only in Philippine society, one needs a good CV. Unfortunately, dropping out of college, like one Microsoft billionaire did, is perhaps more an exception than the rule.

More than lamenting how education is underappreciated, how its TRUE value is not realized, we should be more distressed at the millions of Filipinos who do not even have an oppportunity to get an education. Many will never have the chance to be in an environment where their minds can be stimulated and they can explore other worlds through the printed page or cyberspace. They will not even have the luxury to use education for self-serving goals like wealth or power.

While the quality of education in our country needs improvement, it also has to reach more of our people. Without the support of the national government, neither of these will perhaps ever be realized.

9. Advertisement

what's wrong of being a passport to a better lifE? I mean, honestly, what do you expect? Many people hail EDUCATION because of its democratizing effect. It gives the sons and daughters of farmers, teachers and fishermen to become scientists, doctors, engineers or lawyers.

With regards to the quality of Philippine education, actually its improving compared sa past but in relation to our neighbors, the development of Education here is slower.

harley quinn, i agree that it is quite disconcerting that not many are blessed with any form of education at all. but i don't see that as having anything to do with the current quality of education. in fact, i find the idea that even more students graduate with the thought that a college degree is simply a tool they can use to fund their desired lifestyle very disturbing. i would rather that we first take the time to think of a way to improve the kind of education we have before mass producing it!

why? because we just might end up with millions of filipinos who think that 'making it' simply means earning enough money to drive a nice car, come home to a huge house in some exclusive village, and spend for the luxuries of your five-or-so children - and that the means to reach that - to actually 'make it' - is a piece of paper draped with a well-known name, with high statistical figures! it would be an absolute waste of time and neurons if that was all it took to 'make it' in this world! why even bother allowing yourself to be 'educated' when you could probably just 'cheat' your way through school and still 'make it' anyway?!

because we all know that's not what education is all about.

yes, the reality for some may seem to state that the combination of good grades and a good school very well determines the course of one's life. but i would like to think that the reality most of us have is different - that we know that while the combination makes up for a very good career - it doesn't guaranty a very good life. and if my education's benefits last only until the day i spend my last hard-earned penny, then the kind of education i received wasn't very good then.

I think there are two issues that are being pointed out in this thread. First, the quality of education per se, that is, how well colleges and universities are able to mold the students into useful members of society. This, to me, refers to the technical aspects, like basic research in science and engineering, teacher-to-student ratios, facilities and equipment. The second, which I think weye and shiva are highlighting, is the attitude and perception that a Filipino in our present society has towards education. It's what the guy on the street thinks being educated is all about.

To the first, I think Philippine education is definitely a few decades, if not light years behind that of the U.S. or perhaps Japan. Having had the chance to do part of my training across the Pacific, I have seen first-hand how the students in a developed country have easy access to information, how databases are at their fingertips, how teachers can actually get information from their own research and not just from what someone else wrote. A very active process of asking and getting answers exists---and isn't that what education is all about?

Now to the second point. While it may be disturbing that some people go through school and decide that getting a diploma is equivalent to 'being educated,' they at least had the chance to make that decision--unlike every other kid in the huts across the street who probably never will have that chance their entire life!

All I'm saying is that education should be more available; quality does not necessarily have to be sacrificed. Unfortunately, economics and politics also dictate a lot of things, and unless money is available and the government has the political will to address the problem, all these will just be mushy rhetoric.

I think many are also discouraged to continue their education because a college degree does not assure you a decent job. We always find the qualifying phrase, "of a reputable school" in job advertisements. And with limited financial resources, these kids can only afford to go to colleges not as well known as UP or Ateneo. Some drop out not only because they can't afford to, but also the mentality of the poor, "hanggang dito na lang talaga ako" hinders them from even trying.

weye: I don't believe teachers think education is simply attending school...or answering silly exams. They enter schools with hopes of improving the quality of education and guiding students to become thinkers.

I guess all that enthusiasm fizzles out when they don't see themselves close to these goals. Sometimes, the difficulty lies in lack of funds to provide the children adequate books, pencils, and even the basic classrooms. Bringing home minimum-wage paycheck to a family of 5 can also lead teachers to sell their tocinos and longgonisas to earn that extra buck.

Daycare facilities and pre-schools are popular these days, especially since more women are working and children are left alone with their yayas. It just saddens me when parents blame the teachers for their children's misbehavior. Preschoolers are in school for only 3 hours and spend the rest at home. Is it really the quality of education or the quality of teachers that we ought to blame? Education does not end after class. I wish parents realize that quality time also has to be in quantity.

mavi, i wish that teachers really do have the 'heart' to really teach. yes, we'd all like to believe that teachers want to become teachers because they want to guide children and develop them into the future citizens of the country. i don't think this is true anymore. many enter the teaching field simply because it secures them of lifetime pay. let's remember that those who work in the government cannot be removed that easilt from their job. yes, they may have wanted to teach. but their main goal probably was have a secure and decent job.

if u come to think of it, how college graduates want to become teachers? very few, i assure u. in fact, some even consider those in the college of educ to be 'slow-learners'. some parents even advise their mentally incompetent children 'mag teacher ka na lang, iha/iho.' sad but true. let's admit this reality. the only thing we can do is acknowledge this fact then act upon it.

harley quinn, education is not just being able 'have easy access to information, how databases are at their fingertips, how teachers can actually get information from their own research and not just from what someone else wrote'. it's more of developing a student into a future citizen or member of the state. the abilit to access information and getting answers is something we can get from books or from the net. if that's what education is all for u, then y bother to go to college?

i don't think that's what education is simply for. education should be deeper than just being able to obtain information. it should deal more on developing a critical attitude and being able to see the 'problems' in society. education is not just information. it's on teaching how to analyze that certain piece of info and putting it into use. let's not limit education to being able to gather all info. not that i belittle that fact for getting the right information at the right time is very, very important as well. but being able to understand it and being able to use it is what's more important.

and that's what education should be. or part of it at least. education is broad. we should not limit it to the classroom as well. but if we talk about formal education then i believe it shouldn't just be the feeding of info but it should teach the students how to process this info as well.

[This message has been edited by weye (edited 09-25-1999).]

We need more discussions like this so I'm reviving the topic.

have u heard of Centex in Tondo? this is a very commendable undertaking by the Ayala's for the less fortunate. The government should have been the first one to have initiated this. NAKAKALUNGKOT....and for me personally, if u r well-to-do, u'll get good education, if u belong to the lower socio-eco bracket sorry ka.

Declining. Kaya nga nauso itong mga jejemon.

wow. nag-post pala si batang uliran dito. his posts are kind of rarer than hen's teeth. wala lang.

on-topic-I haven't been in the Phils in a long time but it's probably declined/declining. Many of the quality teachers are leaving for other countries. The quality of textbooks that students use need to be upgraded as well. Sometimes information that has long ago proven to be false is perpetuated.

Teacher quality is probably not the same across all the schools and that is something that needs to be looked at too if students are to achieve their potential. Parnag ang daming problema linked to this, it's hard to even know where to start. Mababa na pa-sweldo means they are more focused on what will make them more money instead of what they need to be teaching. Resources in most schools (esp public schools) are not the best.

Ano po ibig sabihin ng hen's teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by double_blade View Post
    have u heard of Centex in Tondo? this is a very commendable undertaking by the Ayala's for the less fortunate. The government should have been the first one to have initiated this. NAKAKALUNGKOT....and for me personally, if u r well-to-do, u'll get good education, if u belong to the lower socio-eco bracket sorry ka.

I wonder how is that Centex doing? I hope up to now it is still up and running. Nakaka lungkot talaga kaya instead na umasenso ang Pilipinas pahirap nang pahirap.

And ang mas nakaka lungkot yung may mga kaya sa atin hindi nla nakikita ang apekto nang more than 30 million and probably a lot more now na nasa poverty na filipino. They would rather have a president na panay pa gawa nang road at kung ano anong infrastructure na syempre mas malaki makukurakot nila dyan kaysa nga naman ilaan sa education.

If your neighboring communities are poor, may problema ka rin, unang una safety mo.

Anyway, As rare as hen's teeth. Ang complete idiom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast