PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: Alaska Wins Laugher vs Champs

Calvin Abueva (21 points, 11 rebounds) and the Alaska Aces made a statement on Wednesday, dominating the Purefoods Star Hotshots in a laugher, 93-73.

read more

PROMO: Interstellar

Join the promo and get a chance to win advance screening tickets to Interstellar!

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter

Be in the know! Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter for community, movies, sports and promo updates.

read more

Top Female Celebrities

2 more weeks and she will officially be the IT GIRL of the month. Can her fans keep it up? Jane Oineza is still PEx's Top Female Celeb!

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

what does it really mean when you put "quotation marks" on words?

.. or sentences?

it means thats whats in question

normal words should be understood by denotation. quoted words should be understood by connotation.
    "With great looks comes great responsibility"

Question

Originally posted by Ischaramoochie
    normal words should be understood by denotation. quoted words should be understood by connotation.
    Uhm??? pano nga ba uli tatalino?

deh joke hanapin ko nalang sa dictionary.

die boy abunda die! Lucca Yamazaki's Avatar
    Pinoys tend to abuse the double quotes.

eg

Mac "en" Me (some foodhaus)
    City Hall "via" Commonwealth (or somesuch, found on the side of a jeepney)

I'll try to remember the rest.

In writing, quotation marks are used mainly for two purposes:

1. To cite a direct quote
    - e.g. In a speech she gave last year, she said: "I won't run for a second term".

2. To denote that a word has a meaning different from its original one (not to be taken literally)
    - e.g. She is my brother's "friend".
    or: Just how old is that "fresh" fish, anyway?

Quotation marks are also used to enclose titles of works (such as plays, etc) when being discussed.
    - e.g. Have you seen the movie "Paycheck"? It was so bad that I should have stayed at home and finished reading "The Lord of the Rings" instead.

The use of italics instead of enclosing in quotation marks is also accepted.
    - e.g. Have you seen the movie Paycheck? It was so bad that I should have stayed at home and finished reading The Lord of the Rings instead.

Quotation marks have also been used when a word being used is a foreign word (meaning not an English word)
    - e.g. My cousin prefers his farm "kubo" than his city apartment.

However, for the last example, it is more appropriate to use italics instead.
    - e.g. My cousin prefers his farm kubo than his city apartment.

I know there are other reasons for using quotation marks, but the above-mentioned ones are the most common.

DaleEarnhardtJr:Born2Race
    http://www.miamihost.net/ims/u/SweetPea_no8/Dolls/lightoflife2.gif
    when you put quotation,it means that you are referring to someonelse's word or phrase,or you are using specific term to emphasize what you really mean.

wala lang
    for citation and/or for emphasis, (though the meaning of the phrase emphasized is still contextual).
    if done for the purpose of citation, quoting then means trapping the author in his/her pristine thought, in order to ensure the objectivity of one's exposition.

Strunk and White had a term for that: putting on airs. It's like you have a connotation for the word or phrase that only an exclusive group understands.

pag may quotation marks para bang may different meaning or hidden meaning. o kaya pag ibang language pag hndi nakaitalize. or kapag kinoquote lang *** sinabi ng isang tao...

Or you can also look up the "Uses of Quotation Marks"
    in your dictionary, which is the most handy reference
    you've got at home.

It means you do not want to be misinterpreted. The analytical philosopher Wittgenstein is who I recommend to you about the metaphysical aspects of the uses of language and symbols.

earlier or later wittgenstein?
    "With great looks comes great responsibility"