PEx Highlights

Wake Me Up When You Show Me Your Teeths!

In this week's Show Me Your Teeths!, the ladies talk about the -ber months, the upcoming Bench Fashion Show and the Cosmo Bachelor Bash.

read more

Calling All Travel Bloggers!

Wanna get featured in PEx-Travel? Share with us your travel blogs and have your entries promoted around PinoyExchange!

read more

FIBA FEATURE: Do We Stand a Chance?

Do we really have a shot to make it through? JPM weighs in on the the odds of Gilas Pilipinas in the FIBA World Cup.

read more

PHOTOS: UE Keep Final Four Dream Alive

Despite not fielding in Roi Sumang, the UE Red Warriors managed to get a 64-55 win over the NU Bulldogs.

read more

MOVIE REVIEW: The Giver

Very promising, but tries too hard to fit in the mold of the Hunger Games/Divergent series.

read more

Watch 'The Legend Ends' Trailer!

Check out the trailer of the final instalment of the Rurouni Kenshin series, 'The Legend Ends.'

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Exact and True Height of PBA Players

During the PBA Rookie Draft, it was stated that all the rookie applicants were measured in terms in weight and definitely, height. It turns out that the true and exact height of these players were less than what was advertised in newspapers. The addition of couple of inches would definitely boost the stock of players, but it would be really helpful if their true height were known so it would not fool others.

I really feel that this was a good move by the PBA. During draft day, when their names were called, it was shown on the graphics of the tv coverage their true measured heights. I wasn't able to finish watching the draft, so I don't know the true height of the other rookies. Anyone got a list?

Some examples:

Rich Alvarez only measures 6' 2 1/2" but always listed as 6' 4".
    Yap only measures 6' 1 1/2" but listed as 6' 2" or 6' 3".
    Ervin Sotto only measures 6' 5" but listed as 6' 7" (this is really something).

Banned by Admin
    Ateneo has been known to radically pad its players' heights.

Villanueva 6'3
    Alvarez 6'2
    Gonzales 6'2

It's just really like that.

Thumbs up Re: Exact and True Height of PBA Players

Reporting the players' certified true height, weight and wingspan is a positive step for the PBA. This act of honesty could be one of the keys in attracting back the fans.

It started with this year's rookies and they been doing this for the longest time with the imports. I hope they come out with a similar standard measurement for the veterans. Then we will know the truth and nothing but the truth. But can they can handle the truth?

agent 42 code 17-7
    diba sa NBA ganun din? and they reason out that these heights include the shoes..

buying Magic cards PM me

Re: Exact and True Height of PBA Players

Originally posted by grimlock
    During the PBA Rookie Draft, it was stated that all the rookie applicants were measured in terms in weight and definitely, height. It turns out that the true and exact height of these players were less than what was advertised in newspapers. The addition of couple of inches would definitely boost the stock of players, but it would be really helpful if their true height were known so it would not fool others.

I really feel that this was a good move by the PBA. During draft day, when their names were called, it was shown on the graphics of the tv coverage their true measured heights. I wasn't able to finish watching the draft, so I don't know the true height of the other rookies. Anyone got a list?

Some examples:

Rich Alvarez only measures 6' 2 1/2" but always listed as 6' 4".
    Yap only measures 6' 1 1/2" but listed as 6' 2" or 6' 3".
    Ervin Sotto only measures 6' 5" but listed as 6' 7" (this is really something).

however much they were advertised, they all fall short by an inch and a half.

what? the whole media world made a conspiracy to pad it up by an inch and a half universally?

go figure.

Banned by Admin
    the PBA measurement is the scientific way

most pad by 2 inches
    to boost their stock
    to intimidate opposing players

Rico Villanueva I think is a legit 6-5 maybe even 6-6. Yung height ni Asi talagang overstated sa 6-10 it's most probably 6-8. Kung 6-2 1/2 lang si Rich Alvarez lalong mahihirapan yan as a power forward. I just don't see in him the athleticism that Hatfield and Carey have. Even Hatfield struggled big time in his 1st year with Tanduay (as a SF!) against bigger opposition like D Seigle.

Well, I might be playing the spoiler here for Rich's fans, but I honestly wish his career well, and this is just my two cents' worth.
    Anyway it would really be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Banned by Admin
    Kartog: I believe you are actually one of many who doubt whether Alvarez will thrive in the PBA.

buying Magic cards PM me
    Originally posted by KARTOG
    I just don't see in him the athleticism that Hatfield and Carey have.
    hatfield ok. carey?

the pba should remeasure all veterans under the height measurement system they used on the rookies to put everyone on equal footing. whether the new system is the standard or not provided it is applied consistently thoughout the league ok lang siguro. it would be unfair to the incoming rookies and to the future rookies. this is important coz their heights will be compared with veteran players with overstated ages and dun pa lang dehado na kaagad sila against the veterans who would look better on paper.

Originally posted by ateneo10
    hatfield ok. carey?
    Carey's hops definitely stands out for a 6'2" guy playing PF.

buying Magic cards PM me
    Carey's hops definitely stands out for a 6'2" guy playing PF.
    you know...

with asi taulava getting my man all the time...

i could play in the pba and post carey's numbers...

i mean, he's open all the time...

you know...

with asi taulava getting my man all the time...

i could play in the pba and post carey's numbers...

i mean, he's open all the time...
    I don't know how an assertion on Carey's hops has turned into a discussion on how he benefits from Asi's presence. Anyway, head-to-head I'd still give Carey the edge over top pick Alvarez.

It would really be nice to see how Alvarez fares in the pro league huh? Will he be a boy among men, or will he prove his nonbelievers wrong? I for one highly doubt the latter.

buying Magic cards PM me
    I don't know how an assertion on Carey's hops has turned into a discussion on how he benefits from Asi's presence. Anyway, head-to-head I'd still give Carey the edge over top pick Alvarez.

It would really be nice to see how Alvarez fares in the pro league huh? Will he be a boy among men, or will he prove his nonbelievers wrong? I for one highly doubt the latter.
    asi's that good. its like how luc longley was with his airness... or bill wennington or scott williams or whoever...

on how alvarez will fare: he will need all the help in the world to make shell win. he has tony dela cruz and billy mamaril. that's a start...

Well, nobody claimed Longley or Wennington or whoever else you want to fill in here can jump out of the gym.

The point was, a comparison was being made between the athletic abilities of Hatfield and Carey vis-a-vis top pick Alvarez, not how their numbers were affected by the presence of dominant teammates.

16. Advertisement

buying Magic cards PM me
    Well, nobody claimed Longley or Wennington or whoever else you want to fill in here can jump out of the gym.

The point was, a comparison was being made between the athletic abilities of Hatfield and Carey vis-a-vis top pick Alvarez, not how their numbers were affected by the presence of dominant teammates.
    1. but i and my kid brother knows who longley and wennington are. given he didn't watch them almost at all, i'd say they're both pretty famous for ballers who can not "jump out of the gym"...

2. athleticism is only as good as you use it. and as you can use it by yourself. who was the topper in athletics in the nba predraft camp?

i dunno.

which is my point.

it sure wasn't darko, lebron or carmelo.

now, why do we know who carey is? coz he rode asi from day one until the day he ges traded or asi retires, whichever comes 1st...

out of topic pero nabasa ko to kanina sa philstar.com:

January 28, 2004
    Sporting Chance
    By Quinito Henson
    The Philippines–powered by PBA stars–nearly made it to the Asian Games finals in Busan two years ago but a fluke three-pointer at the buzzer robbed the national team of a guaranteed silver. Despite the loss, it was evident that the Philippines was back as a strong Asian contender.

- Bakit ba di matanggap ni QUINITO HENSON na natalo tayo fair and square sa Busan? Ang kapal naman ng mukha niya para sabihing FLUKE three pointer ang tumalo sa atin. Sana graceful in defeat na lang tapos do better next time.

Peace!

1. but i and my kid brother knows who longley and wennington are. given he didn't watch them almost at all, i'd say they're both pretty famous for ballers who can not "jump out of the gym"...

2. athleticism is only as good as you use it. and as you can use it by yourself. who was the topper in athletics in the nba predraft camp?

i dunno.

which is my point.

it sure wasn't darko, lebron or carmelo.

now, why do we know who carey is? coz he rode asi from day one until the day he ges traded or asi retires, whichever comes 1st...
    So? Are we discussing whether or not Carey benefits from Asi's game? Or his athleticism vis-a-vis Alvarez?

1 Your point is?

2 Ahh. So that's 'your point' huh? But where does it fit in comparing Carey's athleticism with that of Alvarez? Isn't this discussion of ours started by my assertion that Hatfield and Carey have the athleticism that Alvarez doesn't equal? Or is this an attempt to downplay athleticism now? It wouldn't even be a good argument against Carey's game. Heck, I'm not even as much a fan of Harvey Carey as you obviously are of Richard Alvarez, so why am I replying to your off-the-mark ripostes?

My assertion is this: Hatfield and Carey have the athleticism that Alvarez does not. Now I think we should just let the games begin and wait for them to go head-to-head and take it from there, lest this degenerate into a mindless and blinded deluge of inappropriate one-liners.

buying Magic cards PM me
    Originally posted by the_shot
    out of topic pero nabasa ko to kanina sa philstar.com:

January 28, 2004
    Sporting Chance
    By Quinito Henson
    The Philippines–powered by PBA stars–nearly made it to the Asian Games finals in Busan two years ago but a fluke three-pointer at the buzzer robbed the national team of a guaranteed silver. Despite the loss, it was evident that the Philippines was back as a strong Asian contender.

- Bakit ba di matanggap ni QUINITO HENSON na natalo tayo fair and square sa Busan? Ang kapal naman ng mukha niya para sabihing FLUKE three pointer ang tumalo sa atin. Sana graceful in defeat na lang tapos do better next time.

Peace!
    well, hindi naman niya bini-blame on anyone in particular na ni-lugi tayo by a call.

baka naman he meant na we were robbed by fortune or chance.

buying Magic cards PM me
    So? Are we discussing whether or not Carey benefits from Asi's game? Or his athleticism vis-a-vis Alvarez?

1 Your point is?

2 Ahh. So that's 'your point' huh? But where does it fit in comparing Carey's athleticism with that of Alvarez? Isn't this discussion of ours started by my assertion that Hatfield and Carey have the athleticism that Alvarez doesn't equal? Or is this an attempt to downplay athleticism now? It wouldn't even be a good argument against Carey's game. Heck, I'm not even as much a fan of Harvey Carey as you obviously are of Richard Alvarez, so why am I replying to your off-the-mark ripostes?

My assertion is this: Hatfield and Carey have the athleticism that Alvarez does not. Now I think we should just let the games begin and wait for them to go head-to-head and take it from there, lest this degenerate into a mindless and blinded deluge of inappropriate one-liners.
    i just have to quote you again:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kung 6-2 1/2 lang si Rich Alvarez lalong mahihirapan yan as a power forward. I just don't see in him the athleticism that Hatfield and Carey have.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yung 1st line ang nireactan ko more so than the second part, which is athleticism.

hindi lang kasi athleticism ang basis ng success sa pros. may hard work and utak factor pa rin. as well as luck, which carey looks to abound of.

1. my point is that they are just as "successful" as carey despite their athleticsim, hence, going back to what i reacted on, it means that athleticism is not the only way to make it big.

2. your assertion does not take into account that alvarez can outrebound almost anyone in the amateurs despite a triple team, while carey makes his baords because no one boxes him out, heightening the appeal of his athleticism.

if you want to see it in-game, ok lang.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast