PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: FEU Outmuscles La Salle, Claim #2 Seed

The FEU Tamaraws secured the #2 seed in the Final Four after beating the DLSU Green Archers, 65-60.

read more

REVIEW: Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

The Legend Ends is a totally epic conclusion to a heroic tale.

read more

Show Me Your Naked Teeths!

In this week's episode of Show Me Your Teeths, the girls talk about the truth, the whole truth and nothing but The Naked Truth!

read more

UP StatSoc Goes Infinite!

Come and join UP StatSoc in celebrating their 33rd Anniversary on September 22 to 27!

read more

PROMO: The Maze Runner

Join the promo and get a chance to win exclusive The Maze Runner merchandise!

read more

FEATURE: Gilas Going for Gold in Asian Games

For the next two weeks, Gilas Pilipinas will once more be in the spotlight in search for our first basketball gold medal in the Asian Games since 1962.

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1

    Arrow Exact and True Height of PBA Players

    During the PBA Rookie Draft, it was stated that all the rookie applicants were measured in terms in weight and definitely, height. It turns out that the true and exact height of these players were less than what was advertised in newspapers. The addition of couple of inches would definitely boost the stock of players, but it would be really helpful if their true height were known so it would not fool others.

    I really feel that this was a good move by the PBA. During draft day, when their names were called, it was shown on the graphics of the tv coverage their true measured heights. I wasn't able to finish watching the draft, so I don't know the true height of the other rookies. Anyone got a list?

    Some examples:

    Rich Alvarez only measures 6' 2 1/2" but always listed as 6' 4".
    Yap only measures 6' 1 1/2" but listed as 6' 2" or 6' 3".
    Ervin Sotto only measures 6' 5" but listed as 6' 7" (this is really something).


  2. #2
    Banned by Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapollis,
    Ateneo has been known to radically pad its players' heights.

    Villanueva 6'3
    Alvarez 6'2
    Gonzales 6'2

    It's just really like that.

  3. #3

    Thumbs up Re: Exact and True Height of PBA Players

    Reporting the players' certified true height, weight and wingspan is a positive step for the PBA. This act of honesty could be one of the keys in attracting back the fans.

    It started with this year's rookies and they been doing this for the longest time with the imports. I hope they come out with a similar standard measurement for the veterans. Then we will know the truth and nothing but the truth. But can they can handle the truth?

  4. #4
    agent 42 code 17-7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    street
    diba sa NBA ganun din? and they reason out that these heights include the shoes..

  5. #5
    buying Magic cards PM me
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    red bull barako

    Re: Exact and True Height of PBA Players

    Originally posted by grimlock
    During the PBA Rookie Draft, it was stated that all the rookie applicants were measured in terms in weight and definitely, height. It turns out that the true and exact height of these players were less than what was advertised in newspapers. The addition of couple of inches would definitely boost the stock of players, but it would be really helpful if their true height were known so it would not fool others.

    I really feel that this was a good move by the PBA. During draft day, when their names were called, it was shown on the graphics of the tv coverage their true measured heights. I wasn't able to finish watching the draft, so I don't know the true height of the other rookies. Anyone got a list?

    Some examples:

    Rich Alvarez only measures 6' 2 1/2" but always listed as 6' 4".
    Yap only measures 6' 1 1/2" but listed as 6' 2" or 6' 3".
    Ervin Sotto only measures 6' 5" but listed as 6' 7" (this is really something).

    however much they were advertised, they all fall short by an inch and a half.

    what? the whole media world made a conspiracy to pad it up by an inch and a half universally?

    go figure.

  6. #6
    Banned by Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Metro_Manila
    the PBA measurement is the scientific way

    most pad by 2 inches
    to boost their stock
    to intimidate opposing players

  7. #7
    Rico Villanueva I think is a legit 6-5 maybe even 6-6. Yung height ni Asi talagang overstated sa 6-10 it's most probably 6-8. Kung 6-2 1/2 lang si Rich Alvarez lalong mahihirapan yan as a power forward. I just don't see in him the athleticism that Hatfield and Carey have. Even Hatfield struggled big time in his 1st year with Tanduay (as a SF!) against bigger opposition like D Seigle.

    Well, I might be playing the spoiler here for Rich's fans, but I honestly wish his career well, and this is just my two cents' worth.
    Anyway it would really be interesting to see how it all plays out.

  8. #8
    Banned by Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapollis,
    Kartog: I believe you are actually one of many who doubt whether Alvarez will thrive in the PBA.

  9. #9
    buying Magic cards PM me
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    red bull barako
    Originally posted by KARTOG
    I just don't see in him the athleticism that Hatfield and Carey have.
    hatfield ok. carey?

  10. #10
    the pba should remeasure all veterans under the height measurement system they used on the rookies to put everyone on equal footing. whether the new system is the standard or not provided it is applied consistently thoughout the league ok lang siguro. it would be unfair to the incoming rookies and to the future rookies. this is important coz their heights will be compared with veteran players with overstated ages and dun pa lang dehado na kaagad sila against the veterans who would look better on paper.

  11. #11
    Originally posted by ateneo10
    hatfield ok. carey?
    Carey's hops definitely stands out for a 6'2" guy playing PF.

  12. #12
    buying Magic cards PM me
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    red bull barako
    Originally posted by KARTOG
    Carey's hops definitely stands out for a 6'2" guy playing PF.
    you know...

    with asi taulava getting my man all the time...

    i could play in the pba and post carey's numbers...

    i mean, he's open all the time...

  13. #13
    Originally posted by ateneo10
    you know...

    with asi taulava getting my man all the time...

    i could play in the pba and post carey's numbers...

    i mean, he's open all the time...
    I don't know how an assertion on Carey's hops has turned into a discussion on how he benefits from Asi's presence. Anyway, head-to-head I'd still give Carey the edge over top pick Alvarez.

    It would really be nice to see how Alvarez fares in the pro league huh? Will he be a boy among men, or will he prove his nonbelievers wrong? I for one highly doubt the latter.

  14. #14
    buying Magic cards PM me
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    red bull barako
    Originally posted by KARTOG
    I don't know how an assertion on Carey's hops has turned into a discussion on how he benefits from Asi's presence. Anyway, head-to-head I'd still give Carey the edge over top pick Alvarez.

    It would really be nice to see how Alvarez fares in the pro league huh? Will he be a boy among men, or will he prove his nonbelievers wrong? I for one highly doubt the latter.
    asi's that good. its like how luc longley was with his airness... or bill wennington or scott williams or whoever...

    on how alvarez will fare: he will need all the help in the world to make shell win. he has tony dela cruz and billy mamaril. that's a start...

  15. #15
    Well, nobody claimed Longley or Wennington or whoever else you want to fill in here can jump out of the gym.

    The point was, a comparison was being made between the athletic abilities of Hatfield and Carey vis-a-vis top pick Alvarez, not how their numbers were affected by the presence of dominant teammates.

  16. #16
    buying Magic cards PM me
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    red bull barako
    Originally posted by KARTOG
    Well, nobody claimed Longley or Wennington or whoever else you want to fill in here can jump out of the gym.

    The point was, a comparison was being made between the athletic abilities of Hatfield and Carey vis-a-vis top pick Alvarez, not how their numbers were affected by the presence of dominant teammates.
    1. but i and my kid brother knows who longley and wennington are. given he didn't watch them almost at all, i'd say they're both pretty famous for ballers who can not "jump out of the gym"...

    2. athleticism is only as good as you use it. and as you can use it by yourself. who was the topper in athletics in the nba predraft camp?

    i dunno.

    which is my point.

    it sure wasn't darko, lebron or carmelo.

    now, why do we know who carey is? coz he rode asi from day one until the day he ges traded or asi retires, whichever comes 1st...

  17. #17
    out of topic pero nabasa ko to kanina sa philstar.com:

    January 28, 2004
    Sporting Chance
    By Quinito Henson
    The Philippines–powered by PBA stars–nearly made it to the Asian Games finals in Busan two years ago but a fluke three-pointer at the buzzer robbed the national team of a guaranteed silver. Despite the loss, it was evident that the Philippines was back as a strong Asian contender.

    - Bakit ba di matanggap ni QUINITO HENSON na natalo tayo fair and square sa Busan? Ang kapal naman ng mukha niya para sabihing FLUKE three pointer ang tumalo sa atin. Sana graceful in defeat na lang tapos do better next time.

    Peace!

  18. #18
    Originally posted by ateneo10
    1. but i and my kid brother knows who longley and wennington are. given he didn't watch them almost at all, i'd say they're both pretty famous for ballers who can not "jump out of the gym"...

    2. athleticism is only as good as you use it. and as you can use it by yourself. who was the topper in athletics in the nba predraft camp?

    i dunno.

    which is my point.

    it sure wasn't darko, lebron or carmelo.

    now, why do we know who carey is? coz he rode asi from day one until the day he ges traded or asi retires, whichever comes 1st...
    So? Are we discussing whether or not Carey benefits from Asi's game? Or his athleticism vis-a-vis Alvarez?

    1 Your point is?

    2 Ahh. So that's 'your point' huh? But where does it fit in comparing Carey's athleticism with that of Alvarez? Isn't this discussion of ours started by my assertion that Hatfield and Carey have the athleticism that Alvarez doesn't equal? Or is this an attempt to downplay athleticism now? It wouldn't even be a good argument against Carey's game. Heck, I'm not even as much a fan of Harvey Carey as you obviously are of Richard Alvarez, so why am I replying to your off-the-mark ripostes?

    My assertion is this: Hatfield and Carey have the athleticism that Alvarez does not. Now I think we should just let the games begin and wait for them to go head-to-head and take it from there, lest this degenerate into a mindless and blinded deluge of inappropriate one-liners.

  19. #19
    buying Magic cards PM me
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    red bull barako
    Originally posted by the_shot
    out of topic pero nabasa ko to kanina sa philstar.com:

    January 28, 2004
    Sporting Chance
    By Quinito Henson
    The Philippines–powered by PBA stars–nearly made it to the Asian Games finals in Busan two years ago but a fluke three-pointer at the buzzer robbed the national team of a guaranteed silver. Despite the loss, it was evident that the Philippines was back as a strong Asian contender.

    - Bakit ba di matanggap ni QUINITO HENSON na natalo tayo fair and square sa Busan? Ang kapal naman ng mukha niya para sabihing FLUKE three pointer ang tumalo sa atin. Sana graceful in defeat na lang tapos do better next time.

    Peace!
    well, hindi naman niya bini-blame on anyone in particular na ni-lugi tayo by a call.

    baka naman he meant na we were robbed by fortune or chance.

  20. #20
    buying Magic cards PM me
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    red bull barako
    Originally posted by KARTOG
    So? Are we discussing whether or not Carey benefits from Asi's game? Or his athleticism vis-a-vis Alvarez?

    1 Your point is?

    2 Ahh. So that's 'your point' huh? But where does it fit in comparing Carey's athleticism with that of Alvarez? Isn't this discussion of ours started by my assertion that Hatfield and Carey have the athleticism that Alvarez doesn't equal? Or is this an attempt to downplay athleticism now? It wouldn't even be a good argument against Carey's game. Heck, I'm not even as much a fan of Harvey Carey as you obviously are of Richard Alvarez, so why am I replying to your off-the-mark ripostes?

    My assertion is this: Hatfield and Carey have the athleticism that Alvarez does not. Now I think we should just let the games begin and wait for them to go head-to-head and take it from there, lest this degenerate into a mindless and blinded deluge of inappropriate one-liners.
    i just have to quote you again:


    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kung 6-2 1/2 lang si Rich Alvarez lalong mahihirapan yan as a power forward. I just don't see in him the athleticism that Hatfield and Carey have.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    yung 1st line ang nireactan ko more so than the second part, which is athleticism.

    hindi lang kasi athleticism ang basis ng success sa pros. may hard work and utak factor pa rin. as well as luck, which carey looks to abound of.

    1. my point is that they are just as "successful" as carey despite their athleticsim, hence, going back to what i reacted on, it means that athleticism is not the only way to make it big.

    2. your assertion does not take into account that alvarez can outrebound almost anyone in the amateurs despite a triple team, while carey makes his baords because no one boxes him out, heightening the appeal of his athleticism.

    if you want to see it in-game, ok lang.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

PBA Team Standings

WIN - LOSS
Alaska Aces 0 0
Barako Bull Energy 0 0
Barangay Ginebra San Miguel 0 0
Blackwater Elite 0 0
GlobalPort Batang Pier 0 0
Kia Sorentos 0 0
Meralco Bolts 0 0
NLEX Road Warriors 0 0
Rain or Shine Elasto Painters 0 0
San Mig Super Coffee Mixers 0 0
San Miguel Beermen 0 0
Talk N Text Tropang Texters 0 0

Hot Topics

GILAS:

Gilas Pilipinas opens Asian Games campaign with 85-76 victory over India

Gilas Pilipinas opens Asian Games campaign with 85-76 victory over India

read more
NCAA:

EAC and Mapua involved in ugly bench-clearing brawl

EAC and Mapua involved in ugly bench-clearing brawl

read more
PROMO:

Join the promo and get a chance to exclusive Maze Runner merchandise!

Join the promo and get a chance to exclusive Maze Runner merchandise!

read more
CHIT CHAT:

Speak your mind, PExers! Kailan tamang gamitin ang martial law?

Speak your mind, PExers! Kailan tamang gamitin ang martial law?

read more
SHOWBIZ:

Filipino couturier Michael Cinco to design Marian Rivera's wedding gown

Filipino couturier Michael Cinco to design Marian Rivera's wedding gown

read more
LOCAL AND FOREIGN ISSUES:

UP President on Abad issue in UP: "Abusive words and deeds have no place in the University."

UP President on Abad issue in UP: "Abusive words and deeds have no place in the University."

read more
NMFtv:

Hans-On: Jason de Jong of the Philippine Azkals speaks out against the team's bashers

Hans-On: Jason de Jong of the Philippine Azkals speaks out against the team's bashers

read more