PEx Highlights

United colors of love

Love can survive under the rainbow flag! Agree? The question is, how can you make it last? Share your stories here.

read more

RPG:PExSOS 2016

PExSOS is back! Are you the next PEx survivor? Know more details about this RPG here.

read more

UAAP volleyball games

Celebrate the hearts day with your favorite volleybelles this weekend. Check out the games here.

read more

Videoke Anthem

Mga staple videoke anthem mo, ilabas mo na. Wag ka nang mahiya! Ano ang nasa videoke line-up mo?

read more

Find where PEx Teddy is!

Get this limited edition PEx Teddy pin this month! Share it to your PEx special someone!

read more

Kilig to the bones!

What is the most kilig worthy moment you have made for your special someone? Share us your stories here.

read more

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... Last

Does Guantanamo Bay belong to Cuba or the US

Cuba was forced to lease the land (over 100 years ago) to the US on condition of being granted independence...in other words blackmail but as with any landlord, they have the right to end the lease agreement but the US refuses to leave.....

Tindero sa 168
    at least Pinoys have the guts to tell the US off, eh? how about the UK? last time I heard the UK harbour the most US bases outside the US territory, can you tell those them Yanks to piss off and leave? Adolf Bush is contemplating to declare UK as his 51st state.

Chalk it up to the spoils of war. The US sends Cuba a check every year but they are not cashed in. Stupid, considering Castro wants tourists to use US dollars.

Besides, the British have done it also and I would say... more effectively.

Question Re: Does Guantanamo Bay belong to Cuba or the US

I have to check my resources because I believe that Guantanamo Bay was part of the Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish-American War and also led to the Philippines being colonized by the United States.

I am also of the belief that the United States will not give back Guantanamo Bay because of the continuing shadow cast by the regime of Fidel Castro.

Re: Re: Does Guantanamo Bay belong to Cuba or the US

Originally posted by AnthonyServinio
    I have to check my resources because I believe that Guantanamo Bay was part of the Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish-American War and also led to the Philippines being colonized by the United States.

I am also of the belief that the United States will not give back Guantanamo Bay because of the continuing shadow cast by the regime of Fidel Castro.
    We know know that the US won't give back something which doesn't belong to them.
    Wonder what filipinos would feel if the US insisted on keeping bases in the Phils

Originally posted by Spartan
    Chalk it up to the spoils of war. The US sends Cuba a check every year but they are not cashed in. Stupid, considering Castro wants tourists to use US dollars.
    So if you rented an apartment and the landlord told you to leave....you'd have the right to say no....
    Originally posted by Spartan

Besides, the British have done it also and I would say... more effectively.
    Where

Originally posted by kabise
    at least Pinoys have the guts to tell the US off, eh? how about the UK? last time I heard the UK harbour the most US bases outside the US territory, can you tell those them Yanks to piss off and leave? Adolf Bush is contemplating to declare UK as his 51st state.
    We haven't got that many but yes...we should tell them to get out as should germany and other european countries. Keep on your own side of the atlantic

Re: Re: Re: Does Guantanamo Bay belong to Cuba or the US

Originally posted by ElizabethII
    We know know that the US won't give back something which doesn't belong to them.
    Wonder what filipinos would feel if the US insisted on keeping bases in the Phils
    The Philippines had a volcanic eruption that forced the US to get out of Clark and Subic.

Banned by Admin
    US stole GB from Cuba, reminds me of the UK stealing NI from Ireland.

Sino nga ba kakampi ng States? Britanya?

Originally posted by InspectorTrue

Not a good comparison : just one link about Ireland

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlkik/ihm/iremaps.htm

http://library.byu.edu/~rdh/eurodocs/uk.html

11. Advertisement

Originally posted by InspectorTrue

The US stole GB from Cuba? I suppose GB is Guantanamo Bay rather than Great Britain, who you refer to as Britanya. By the way, Guantanamo Bay is on a long term lease by the US Navy from Cuba, just like Subic was before Mount Pinatubo last erupted.

Originally posted by davidian
    The US stole GB from Cuba? I suppose GB is Guantanamo Bay rather than Great Britain, who you refer to as Britanya. By the way, Guantanamo Bay is on a long term lease by the US Navy from Cuba, just like Subic was before Mount Pinatubo last erupted.
    if it's a long term lease when does this lease expire. It was a condition for cuban independence....in other words it was stolen.
    Hong Kong was on a definate time lease from China and was immediately handed back at the end of the 99 years lease.
    What time period was Subic leased for?

if it's a long term lease when does this lease expire. It was a condition for cuban independence....in other words it was stolen.
    Hong Kong was on a definate time lease from China and was immediately handed back at the end of the 99 years lease.
    What time period was Subic leased for?
    The US got involved in the Philippines around 1900 (a US officer signed the declaration of Philippine independence from Spain) and had a free right to have bases there technically until 1945 when the Philippines was supposed to have gained political independence from the US (delayed by WWII to 1946). In 1947, the US got Clark, Subic and John Hay (Baguio City) for about 50 years. In 1991, Mt. Pinatubo erupted and forced the Americans to vacate Clark. In short notice, the nationalists in the Philippines forced the Americans to vacate all of the Philippines by the next year.

The US got involved in the Philippines around 1900 (a US officer signed the declaration of Philippine independence from Spain) and had a free right to have bases there technically until 1945 when the Philippines was supposed to have gained political independence from the US (delayed by WWII to 1946). In 1947, the US got Clark, Subic and John Hay (Baguio City) for about 50 years. In 1991, Mt. Pinatubo erupted and forced the Americans to vacate Clark. In short notice, the nationalists in the Philippines forced the Americans to vacate all of the Philippines by the next year.
    But regarding Cuba I cannot find any link which shows a time period for the US base there.

But regarding Cuba I cannot find any link which shows a time period for the US base there.
    Try http://www.nsgtmo.navy.mil/gazette/H...%20History.htm

Try http://www.nsgtmo.navy.mil/gazette/H...%20History.htm
    Cannot get into that link but found this:

http://www.iht.com/articles/118742.html

quote:

"In 1934 Cuba renewed the lease for Guantánamo Bay and granted the United States its base there as long as it wanted it. This lease can only be canceled if the Navy abandons the base or if both parties agree to end it. Even Fidel Castro couldn't revoke the lease, and the U.S. Treasury ndependence in Cuba, Americans clamored to help liberate it from Spain. The swift American victory in the Spanish-American war ended in U.S. reluctance to acknowledge Cuban sovereignty. After three years of occupation, the United States withdrew its troops only after forcing the Platt Amendment onto the new nation's constitution. This reserved to the United States the right to intervene in Cuba militarily and provided for the lease of naval bases. At that time, the military governor, Leonard Wood, wrote to President Theodore Roosevelt: "There is of course little or no independence left Cuba under the Platt Amendment."
    In 1934 Cuba renewed the lease for Guantánamo Bay and granted the United States its base there as long as it wanted it. This lease can only be canceled if the Navy abandons the base or if both parties agree to end it. Even Fidel Castro couldn't revoke the lease, and the U.S. Treasury punctually sends a monthly check that the Cuban government doesn't cash. Although Cuba has nominal sovereignty over Guantánamo, the United States exerts control over every aspect of life there."

and

"Cuba may be as far from Iraq as it is from the battlefields of Afghanistan. The history of Guantánamo, however, offers a dangerous precedent for the future of Iraq. If its new constitution contains provisions for the long-term lease of U.S. bases - as Cuba's did a century ago - there will be more Guantánamos and, of course, little or no independence left Iraq"

This sort of lease would never stand up in a court of law but then again when does the US ever bother about the law.

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_Bay,_Cuba
    So, Gitmo belongs to Cuba on a long-term (it requires the consent of both Cuba and the US to terminate the) lease to the US. Does that answer ALL questions asked?

This is a non-issue being sexed-up needlessly.

Thread Question Answered..... Hehehe

-- Gitmo is like Club-Med, compared to other brigs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... Last