Working for an NGO | PEx Gives | PinoyExchange

X

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Working for an NGO

Hi Guys!

Is there anybody here works for an NGO either for a local or an international group?

Is it really fulfilling?

How's the working environment?

Thanks!

Judging from the lack of responses to this post, there seem to be almost no NGO people here at PEX. Oh well, back to your question...

I' ve been working for a local NGO that's involved in conservation for the past 16 months. I do find the work fulfilling, primarily because of the following reasons (sorry for the overly simplistic answer, just not in a writing mood right now):

1. I know I'm making a difference. While the bottomline for most people's jobs is about making a profit or selling a service or product, ours is about protecting the environment and helping small communities discover how to manage the resources in their areas effectively.

2. I am exposed to people from all levels of society. In the course of work, I have to learn to deal with a wide range of people, from Undersecretaries of gov't departments to provincial governors, mayors of small towns, barangay officials, to ordinary fishermen.

3. The chance to travel to some really interesting places, like the Northern Sierra Madre and the Babuyan Islands

The working environment is pretty relaxed in the NGO I work in. Your performance is primarily based on your output, the results you come up with. No dress codes, just as long as we don't come in shorts, tank tops or slippers. Flexible working hours, more or less. And very approachable people in middle and top management, which I feel helps facilitate the mentoring process.

working in an NGO

di ko sure kung may thread na bout this topic..just wana ask kung okay ba magwork sa NGO, how to apply, how much is the salary and masya ba ang work dito? hope to hear from you guys..

Chief Encouragement Officer what's Avatar
    depende din sa NGO na mapapasukan mo. i know of an NGO that offers P15k starting salary for administrative jobs. they usually have websites naman so you can just easily browse for job openings. masaya din because hindi too strict ang dress code. the best advantage, i think, is the network/link to other organizations like international groups etc. one of the NGOs i know has connections with the U.N. and USAID etc so for instance may international conferences, usually nakakapadala ang NGOs ng representatives kasi funded na agad sila by U.N., USAID, AUSAID etc.

what:

I've been wanting to be a part of an NGO too. I'm particularly interested in those that are into the preservation of the environment or the protection and social development of women and children. You mentioned you know one particular NGO. Which one?Are you working there? What are the requirements?

I'm actually looking for another job right now. One of the things that I look for in a company is its involvement to socio-civic activities. I figured working at an NGO could also be an option. It may not be a high paying job but It would surely be a fulfilling one.

Quote Originally Posted by what
    depende din sa NGO na mapapasukan mo. i know of an NGO that offers P15k starting salary for administrative jobs. they usually have websites naman so you can just easily browse for job openings. masaya din because hindi too strict ang dress code. the best advantage, i think, is the network/link to other organizations like international groups etc. one of the NGOs i know has connections with the U.N. and USAID etc so for instance may international conferences, usually nakakapadala ang NGOs ng representatives kasi funded na agad sila by U.N., USAID, AUSAID etc.
    hi! thanks for the reply.. gusto ko nga din sana sa mga intl' orgs kaso nabasa ko sa ads nila na they require, at least, someone who has a masters degree..anong NGO po ba yung di nagrerequire ng masters? anyway, may plans din po ako to take up graduate studies kaso medyo *** pang budget.heehehe!ska ano po bang graduate degree ang usually nirerequire nila?

peeyaa --- you can try the reproductive health and population network of NGOs. they usually have partner organizations that are into women and children-related issues. to name a few: ISIS, reproductive health advocacy network (RHAN), likhaan, GTZ, www.phansup.org, www.plcpdfound.org (this NGO actually has senators and congressmen as board members)

masterjedi --- baka yung NGOs na nagre-require ng masters degree are for executive positions or yung mga pang high officials. this may interest you --- there are many employees working sa NGOs who only got their masters pagka pasok nila sa trabaho. because NGOs have established links na, they can usually send their employees abroad for fellowships or can subsidize the expenses for the tuition fees for local universities like UP. for instance, many NGOs involved in the reproductive health or population field can send their employees to the University of the Philippines Population Institute

i used to work for an NGO, naka 2 years din ako.sa simula ok ***, may feeling na you're working for a cause. pero habang tumatagal, lumalala ang politika, mas matindi pa kaysa sa government and private firms (nag private firm ako before joining the NGO) . super toxic nga lang, umabot ako sa point na i go to work everyday, including sundays. at OT pa yun everyday (sans OT pay).
    nawala yung passion ko(maybe for burned out) so i resigned. but the experience was good. you get to meet a lot of people, go to different places and do things you'd never thought you would do. the salary's quite ok, especially if you're from USAID-funded projects.

i work for an NGO for 8 years now. the perks? hmm.. i get to travel a lot, no strict dress codes, flexi time, i report 11-12 noon goes home past 6. masaya, simple lang, maliit ang office, may kitchen pdeng magluto ng lunch minsan. pde mag chikahan buong araw heheh...seasonal ang work load ko kaya may time na pdeng pag cross stitch, magbasa ng pocketbook manood ng tv/vcd at mag pex buong araw.
    downside, d ganun kalaki ang salary but since i live nearby at d gaanong hassle ang work ok na din. and yes, since sobrang liit ng org at comfy kayo sa isa't isa madali ang chismis at pakialamanan ng buhay buhay.
    but i chose it here because of the freedom and the chance to work for the marginalized. mas morally uplifting. and yes, ayoko mag work sa makati or ortigas or anywhere there na kailangang pomorma at magmadali araw araw. i don't think i'd survive with 15-20k na uubusin ko lang sa porma at pagkain at hassle sa pag commute. to each his/her own.
    yup, may opening kami.

We definitely need more NGO workers and have an opening for:

- Marketing & Communication Assistant
    - Resource Mobilization Coordinator (fundraiser)

Send cover letter and resume to our HR person, Isa Suan at isa@childrenshour.org.ph for interested applicants.

I work for Children's Hour (http://www.childrenshour.org.ph) as a fundraiser for our network of 104 partner NGO all over the country, who with our support, have made a difference in the lives of over 188,600 filipino children nationwide.

It's a 8am - 5pm job, sometimes in the office, sometimes in the field.

I am exposed to many cases and stories of NGO's all over the country, each of whom have a different need, and a different story to tell. I will be meeting with the children under the care of the Camillian sisters later this afternoon. It will be good to meet them, so I am reminded of what I am doing, and why I am doing it.

I would like to organize a group of volunteer fundraisers and bring them on exposure trips so they can see first hand what problems children face today. That way, they will understand more of the work we do, and have a stronger sense of purpose in helping us raise funds as volunteer fundraisers. (send me an email or a PM if you're interested in becoming a volunteer fundraiser )

It is hard work getting people to care - there have been many rejections, many times when I have wanted to quit, but i'm not about to give up without a fight. I do not see myself doing any other kind of work. I am happiest when I am fighting for the things i believe in.

I get to attend international conferences on fundraising - and it is good to know that there are people all over the world who have been in the ngo/fundraising sector for more than 20 years! I'm not alone! There are many others who want to see this world a better place.

I am responsible for developing systems for making it easier for individuals to get involved in our fundraising campaign. I talk to hotels, establishments, restaurants, resorts, and try to get them involved in our fundraising campaign.

I have encouraged a lot of my friends to make a pledge of P100/month to us which has been enough to help provide 5 nutritional supplements to malnourished Filipino children at only P20/supplement.

I have helped raise funds for a doctor in the Visayas to have saved the lives of many prematurely born babies.

It's a great job. Tiring. Exhausting. Not financially rewarding, but it's something I choose to do with my life.

Want to help? Join our campaign today!

" Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey.
    It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again.
    What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. "

- Captain Jean-Luc Picard played by Patrick Stewart,
    from the film "Star Trek: Generations"

..::[BaBy]::..
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleheadd07
    i work for an NGO for 8 years now. the perks? hmm.. i get to travel a lot, no strict dress codes, flexi time, i report 11-12 noon goes home past 6. masaya, simple lang, maliit ang office, may kitchen pdeng magluto ng lunch minsan. pde mag chikahan buong araw heheh...seasonal ang work load ko kaya may time na pdeng pag cross stitch, magbasa ng pocketbook manood ng tv/vcd at mag pex buong araw.
    downside, d ganun kalaki ang salary but since i live nearby at d gaanong hassle ang work ok na din. and yes, since sobrang liit ng org at comfy kayo sa isa't isa madali ang chismis at pakialamanan ng buhay buhay.
    but i chose it here because of the freedom and the chance to work for the marginalized. mas morally uplifting. and yes, ayoko mag work sa makati or ortigas or anywhere there na kailangang pomorma at magmadali araw araw. i don't think i'd survive with 15-20k na uubusin ko lang sa porma at pagkain at hassle sa pag commute. to each his/her own.
    yup, may opening kami.
    hi, just wanna ask kung san ka nagwowork at anong opening sa inyo? because i've also wanted to work in a NGO.

Sa Aklat Sisikat Foundation openings

To those interested in working for an NGO and have a teacher/training/Literature background, try checking out Sa Aklat Sisikat.

http://www.readerstransform.com/

They have openings at the moment for Project Monitor positions for their many reading programs and teacher trainings all over the country. In a nutshell, the job is all about visiting the sites for the particular program you're assigned to and monitoring the quality of the programs. You're going to make reports and the necessary documentation to the Program Manager, who will then sum up your report and present it to the board.

Their office is at the 35th floor of the Petron Building near Pacific Star and BPI Buendia. You can drop by there and hand in your resume or just give them a call at 863888.

@ scrapbookjunkie --- i totally agree with the politics. iba ang dynamics in an NGO. mahirap, especially if you're too sensitive with TSISMIS

Hi, just wanted to revive the thread. What NGOs have openings right now? My background includes Economics and Law (although I'm not a law graduate). I'm a nerd, so my strengths are research and writing although I can be a smooth talker if I wanted to. Do I fit in anywhere in the NGO world?

temporary bum
    Quote Originally Posted by ezra is better View Post
    Hi, just wanted to revive the thread. What NGOs have openings right now? My background includes Economics and Law (although I'm not a law graduate). I'm a nerd, so my strengths are research and writing although I can be a smooth talker if I wanted to. Do I fit in anywhere in the NGO world?
    sana may iba din mag-post dito. interesado din kasi ako magtrabaho sa NGO.

iba-iba ang skills na hinahanap ng NGOs although advantage kung malawak ang experience mo sa advocacy ng NGO

mahirap yata maghanap ng work sa NGO

Is there a resource on the net with websites of different NGOs in the country? If there's none, can somebody enumerate NGOs for our reference? Thanks in advance!

bakasyonista
    ako din, gusto ko din magwork for NGO's.. I've been a student volunteer ng 3 years. I missed those days.

Gusto ko ring magwork for an NGO. Para kasing walang fulfillment pag sa mga korporasyon mag-work. Ewan ko ba. Parang may kulang.San kaya may opening?

Here is a list of NGOs from PCNC:

http://www.pcnc.com.ph/NGOList.php?firstLetter=ALL

PCNC stands for Philippine Council for NGO Certification.

It is a private voluntary, non-stock, non-profit corporation that will serve as a service organization whose main function is to certify non-profit organizations that meet established minimum criteria for financial management and accountability in the service to underprivileged Filipinos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last