Working for an NGO - Page 2 | PEx Gives | PinoyExchange

PEx Highlights

UAAP Volleyball!

There is a different action happening outside the volleyball court. Be part of the game here and talk about your favorite volleyball teams!

read more

Destined To Be Yours

Napanood mo na ba ang latest trailer ng pinakaunang ALDUB serye? Kung hindi pa, silipin mo na dito!

read more

A night to remember!

Let us go back to our high school days and reminisce our prom moments here. Any special memories from your prom?

read more

Let's go to Baguio!

Kick-off summer up north! Anyone ready for a road trip?

read more

PROMO: Fist Fight

Check out this thread to know how to win screening tickets to Fist Fight!

read more

Hurray to healthy meals!

Healthy meals can also be yummy! Here are some suggestions from the PEx community. Share us your healthy meal recipes also.

read more

X

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Wwf

Hi. Would anyone know if World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is a good organization to join? Im an IT professional with a bank, but sometimes I get the feeling I have to do something worthy or for a cause, which you dont get enough of working in a private corporation like mine (which serves only the interest of its own - money, money, money). Im passionate about conservation and wildlife, and love photography of such.

Ive been eyeing on WWF for long, since they have the volunteer programs, although still a bit hesitant honestly on what to expect.

Anybody can share their thoughts?

Hey, you may also want to check out my attempts on photography, particularly wildlife which I am very fond of...

here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gesguerra/sets

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by perkins View Post
    Here is a list of NGOs from PCNC:

http://www.pcnc.com.ph/NGOList.php?firstLetter=ALL

PCNC stands for Philippine Council for NGO Certification.

It is a private voluntary, non-stock, non-profit corporation that will serve as a service organization whose main function is to certify non-profit organizations that meet established minimum criteria for financial management and accountability in the service to underprivileged Filipinos.
    Tried the link above but it's not working, probably changed. Found this link thru pcnc.com.ph:

http://pcnc.com.ph/ngo-list.php

Thanks for sharing! Do you also work in an NGO?

^I'm only indirectly involved. I'm helping a foundation register/be accredited in government regulatory agencies. I wanted to cross over to NGOs from corporate but I haven't found an NGO yet.

kelangan ba registered na NGO?
    Hindi ba pwedeng voluntary work ang gawin?
    besides its not about the money, its about helping others.

Quote Originally Posted by Busilak View Post
    ^I'm only indirectly involved. I'm helping a foundation register/be accredited in government regulatory agencies. I wanted to cross over to NGOs from corporate but I haven't found an NGO yet.
    Thanks sa link! My brother and I were thinking of creating foundation. kaso we have a different focus but your link will help us sort things out. Salamat ng Marami!!!

Quote Originally Posted by noob_asero View Post
    The certification legitimize the operation of the organization. I think uncertified or non registered organization can still do charitable work. Hindi naman bawal. Tulad ng kayo kayo lang barkada nyo or batch nyo or group nyo ang gagawa ng voluntary work or charity. okay lang yun. Pero as you become bigger and you have to manage the finances of your group and start transacting with other businesses or banks and look for donation, I think it is important to legitimize your group. Maraming benefits kasi like sa taxes, purchases, banks and other official transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by jorjiporji View Post
    Hi. Would anyone know if World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is a good organization to join? Im an IT professional with a bank, but sometimes I get the feeling I have to do something worthy or for a cause, which you dont get enough of working in a private corporation like mine (which serves only the interest of its own - money, money, money). Im passionate about conservation and wildlife, and love photography of such.

Ive been eyeing on WWF for long, since they have the volunteer programs, although still a bit hesitant honestly on what to expect.

Anybody can share their thoughts?

Hey, you may also want to check out my attempts on photography, particularly wildlife which I am very fond of...

here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gesguerra/sets

Thanks.
    WWF is a good NGO to join, having worked there for

a few years before starting my practise of law. Indeed

a noble cause.

Quote Originally Posted by noob_asero View Post
    In addition to Jmarcko27's reply, registration helps donors because they are assured that they are giving to legitimate foundations. Gov't regulatory agencies conduct visits during the registration process.

You can help an unregistered NGO if you know and trust the people running it. It's about ensuring that the right people are helped and that your money goes to the intended recipients

Ano pong Degrees that will land you ajob in NGO? Ok po ba yung BS Soial work?

Iba-ibang kurso pwede. Ang NGOs kasi , lalo na nag malalaki, may ibat-ibang support departments. Halimbawa, may field work o community organizers ( depende sa mission ng NGO) pero may Finance/Accounting din.

hi! Nag work ako for 10 years sa isang NGO actually ang tawag sa kanya is PVO, Private Voluntary Organization, naka 2 projects ako both USAID funded projects. I worked as a Production Asst. /BCC/Graphic Artist. medyo malaki compensation and benefits yung nga lang by project talaga unfortunately nag end ang project lat sept 2011 kaya balik ako sa corporate. Regarding naman sa work very fulfilling sya lalo pag nasa community ka na medyo toxic lang talaga hanggang madaling araw nagwowork ka especially pag on-field of during trainings, even holidays. Na experienced ko din mag overstayed sa tawi-tawi during holy week kze naubusan ako ng seats sa eroplano binigyan ng priority yung mga politicians na gusto pumunta ng zambo! sa ARMM based yung project namin *** mostly nandun ako sa mindanao. miss ko na ganun work and hopefully makabalik ako pag nakakuha na ulit sila ng project.

For those interested, check this FB Group: Development Sector Jobs - Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
    Judging from the lack of responses to this post, there seem to be almost no NGO people here at PEX. Oh well, back to your question...

I' ve been working for a local NGO that's involved in conservation for the past 16 months. I do find the work fulfilling, primarily because of the following reasons (sorry for the overly simplistic answer, just not in a writing mood right now):

1. I know I'm making a difference. While the bottomline for most people's jobs is about making a profit or selling a service or product, ours is about protecting the environment and helping small communities discover how to manage the resources in their areas effectively.

2. I am exposed to people from all levels of society. In the course of work, I have to learn to deal with a wide range of people, from Undersecretaries of gov't departments to provincial governors, mayors of small towns, barangay officials, to ordinary fishermen.

3. The chance to travel to some really interesting places, like the Northern Sierra Madre and the Babuyan Islands

The working environment is pretty relaxed in the NGO I work in. Your performance is primarily based on your output, the results you come up with. No dress codes, just as long as we don't come in shorts, tank tops or slippers. Flexible working hours, more or less. And very approachable people in middle and top management, which I feel helps facilitate the mentoring process.

Sounds perfect for me. Ano to?

Working in NGO is a different thing sa working in the Government or Private sectors. Mostly na sa mga nagwowork sa NGO, passion nila yun. May mga paniniwala sila o prinsipyo sa buhay o advocacy na isinusulong kaya bale wala sa kanila kung maliit ang sweldo nila kasi nararamdaman nila ang fullfillment sa buhay nila.

My advice is, kung ikaw ay may certain advocacy sa buhay, bagay ka jan. Lalo na kung hindi ka naman masyadong nirerequire ng family mo na tumulong sa bahay nyo regarding financial matters. Go!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2