PEx Highlights

MOVIE REVIEW: Guardians of the Galaxy

While most superhero movies focus on brawn power and visuals, central to Guardians is its heart and wit.

read more

Join The Agency

Register for The Agency, PEx's newest Showbiz RPG!

read more

Kenshin Stars, Director to Visit Manila

Director Keishi Otomo and actors Takeru Satoh, Emi Takei and Munetaka Aoki are flying to Manila to grace the Premiere of Kyoto Inferno.

read more

FIBA Worlds Feature: Building National Teams

A look back on how the RP national teams were formed in the "open basketball" era.

read more

UAAP Basketball Power Rankings: Week 3

There's a new number one in this week's UAAP Basketball Power Rankings.

read more

PHOTOS: NU Clobbers Adamson

The NU Bulldogs win a laugher against the Adamson Soaring Falcons, 62-25, the lowest scoring output in recent memory.

read more

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast
    amishuuu
    Originally posted by Chase_Meridian
    But can we just leave the myoma untouched? My mom has myoma too but she does not want to undergo any operation. She's menopausal by the way.
    Myoma is a type of tumor or cancer right?! No u can't leave it just like that. It will grow, then acquire a potential to spread to other parts of the body.

Originally posted by kreuk
    Myoma is a type of tumor or cancer right?! No u can't leave it just like that. It will grow, then acquire a potential to spread to other parts of the body.
    Myoma is a benign tumor. Myosarcoma is the cancerous type. I agree, both can grow and while myoma is limited to the uterus (matres), it can cause severe bleeding, anemia and pain.

OTOH, cancer of the uterus do metastasize or spread to other organs and if not treated early and aggressively, can cause death.

amishuuu
    Now i remember... benign tumors, that are supposesly less harmful, can sporadically turn into a cancerous metastatic one through time esp if the cause of the tumor is unstable DNA.

Bigaon ever...
    There is a procedure known as the hysteroscopically guided myomectomy that does away with the need for the patient with myoma to be "opened" surgically. With the use of a hysteroscope, the myoma is slowly sliced into smaller fragments allowing it to be flushed out. The procedure is done under total sedation but the patient's recovery is faster compared to open surgery. Ask your gynecologist about hysterescopy for your myomectomy.

so....pag menopose, nawawala din yung cease(correct the spelling, i'm not sure)/tumor/myoma?

there's a new modality for the treatment of myoma. it's chemoembolization. you block the blood supply to the myoma and in effect, the myoma dies.

Question

Originally posted by Jonga
    so....pag menopose, nawawala din yung cease(correct the spelling, i'm not sure)/tumor/myoma?
    jonga,

We really don't exactly know why women before or after their menopause develop these cysts, tumors or myomas (also called fibroids). However, their growth is dependent for the most part on the production of the female hormone, estrogen.

Basically, a cyst is a growth which contains fluid e.g., endometrial polyp whereas a tumor/myoma/fibroid is solid.

It seems that continued estrogen stimulation of the uterus without the presence of progesterone hormone is one of the most important underlying risk factors for developing fibroids.

Family history is another key factor. There is often a history of fibroids developing in other women of the same family. Overall, these tumors are fairly common and occur in up to 50% of all women. Most of the time, uterine fibroids do not cause symptoms or problems and a woman with a fibroid is usually unaware of its presence.

how can i be harsh when im a med student myself and i never meant it that way. im just stating a fact... w/c others have to know. Without a doubt... clinical rounds are impt for teh med students... but we're talking about the mom's best interest here.
    ===

tama ka, MED STUDENT ka pa lang, hindi ka pa clerk hindi ka pa rin intern, tignan mo pag nakaabot ka na dun basahin mo ulit itong thread mo ah....... naway umabot k.

at pumasa ka ng boards

9. Jan 13, 2005, 09:38 PM

Reason
    spam

Now i remember... benign tumors, that are supposesly less harmful, can sporadically turn into a cancerous metastatic one through time esp if the cause of the tumor is unstable DNA.
    ====

anong book mo ito quinote?

Treatment for Myoma (my mom has one)?

yung mom ko meron daw mayoma sabi ng doctor (nakaka experience siya ng profuse bleeding) at kailangan daw operahan. submucosal myoma yung nabasa ko dun sa findings. here are my questions:

1. magkano ba magpa opera pag may myoma? cancerous ba ito? nung pagkabasa ko sa dictionary super nanhina ako dahil nakalagay "benign tumor"

2.she's 44 years old. I've read na pag nag menopause eh it will eventually shrink and vanish is this true?

3. magkano kadalasan ang gagastusin sa ganitong procedure? 60.000 pesos kasi yung isnabi sakanya. ang laki!

4. total bedrest ka ba dito for several weeks? or after 3 days you can go back to work again?

thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by smilewarrior; Aug 15, 2007 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plum_sun20 View Post
    yung mom ko meron daw mayoma sabi ng doctor (nakaka experience siya ng profuse bleeding) at kailangan daw operahan. submucosal myoma yung nabasa ko dun sa findings. here are my questions:

1. magkano ba magpa opera pag may myoma? cancerous ba ito? nung pagkabasa ko sa dictionary super nanhina ako dahil nakalagay "benign tumor"
    No, it is a benign tumor that does not become malignant.

Quote Originally Posted by plum_sun20 View Post
    2.she's 44 years old. I've read na pag nag menopause eh it will eventually shrink and vanish is this true?
    3. magkano kadalasan ang gagastusin sa ganitong procedure? 60.000 pesos kasi yung isnabi sakanya. ang laki!
    4. total bedrest ka ba dito for several weeks? or after 3 days you can go back to work again?
    Myomas have receptors that are stimulated by estrogen, causing the smooth muscles to hypertrophy (increase in size). During menopause, the decline in estrogen causes the myoma to shrink, not vanish. Your ob-gyne decides on a case-to-case basis on how to approach it.

For menopausal women or those who have completed their family size, doctors usually recommend having surgery to remove the myoma (myomectomy), or sometimes including the uterus (hysterectomy). Uncomplicated patients usually stay in the hospital for 2-3 days and are then discharged to rest at home for around 2 weeks (or less, depending on the patient). Heavy work that involves lifting, straining, strenuous physical activities are discouraged for about 6-8 weeks after surgery so as to allow your body to recover completely from the stress of the surgery.

With regards to cost, 60thou is an approximate figure, that may or may not include other expenses like room, OR fees, medications, medical supplies, etc. You can ask your doctor regarding his/her fees and an estimate of the total cost.

thanks. nakaka experience kasi siya ng matinding pagdudugo. hindi usual pag may menstruation ka which only lasted for a few days. sa kanya lagpas na ng 1 week na meron parin.
    Last edited by smilewarrior; Aug 22, 2007 at 06:19 AM.

help me please

hello doc, im only 17 years old and im scared sa doctor. can you help me please? i really don't know if i have a myoma sa vagina. there's a "maliliit na maraming bukol" in my vagin a. im scared. give me advice please?

Quote Originally Posted by wristslasher25 View Post
    hello doc, im only 17 years old and im scared sa doctor. can you help me please? i really don't know if i have a myoma sa vagina. there's a "maliliit na maraming bukol" in my vagin a. im scared. give me advice please?
    Myomas only grow in the uterus not in the vagina.

You'll need to have it checked with an OB. There's no other way. We can't help you because we need to see the lesions/bukol and do a full history and physical examination.

Any particular reason why you're afraid of seeing a doctor?

Hello yeepee thanks for the info. i hate going to hospital cause takot ako sa blood...blood... blood. my whole body is shaking and 2nd ayoko malaman if aim sick (shame)..there's a small lesion around my vagina as in ang dami. and it's itchy and burning i used feminine wash and cream . but its not working. and lahat ng underwear ko pinapalantsa ko. My grandmother said na used a vinegar but i don't think so kung effective. thank you so much and godbless.

kasama ko dito sa bahay (here in Riyadh, KSA) was told to undergo hysterectomy in manila. Just want to ask the approx. cost of the operation? She would like to have it removed at UST hospital.

Appreciate your response.

Cheers!

i have numerous small myomas sa uterine walls ko. in fact, twice na ako na-raspa. muntik nang magpangatlo last January. gusto nga ng ob-gyne ko tanggalin na uterus ko dahil masama daw lagi nararaspa.
    buti na lang tumigil menstruation ko ( yun kasi ang effect sa akin, hindi humihinto ang menstruation ko). hormonal imbalance ang sa akin ( buti na lang hindi pre-cancer or cancer na.) so far, sa ngayon, mula nung january, normal naman ang menstruation ko. 2004 pa nagstart ang medical condition ko. sabi ng ob-gyne ko, too much estrogen daw ako kaya i used to take contraceptive pills na prescribed nya sa akin but i eventually stopped dahil ang dami kong side effects na naramdaman. ayaw ko na rin yan kasi hindi naman talaga gumaling condition ko - superficial lang ang paggaling. - bumabalik din. my ob-gyne also advised me to lose weight (mataba kasi ako).

so yan ang ginawa ko, though, i'm guilty na hindi pa rin ako nagda-diet talaga. but, what i do is : i cut down on dairy products. dati kasi, every morning drink ako a glass of milk. akala ko healthy, yun pala, sa katawan ko, inaggravate nya pagdami ng myoma ko dahil nga hindi na balanced hormones ko. tapos, nag-e-exercise na rin ako. kahit 3x a week of brisk-walking (30 minutes each). tapos, i drink warm honey/calamansi juice daily in the morning (i replaced milk with this.) tapos sa gabi, inom din ako nyan pero malamig na tubig na ginagamit ko. tapos i eat a lot of fruits and green vegetables. bihira ang red meat at pork. halos puro fish. though i know i have to cut down my rice intake, pero sisikapin ko pa hehehe...

napansin ko, so far, nawala na lahat ng mga side effects ng pills at so far nga, normal na menstruation ko. sa myoma ko, di ko alam kung ano na sizes nila kasi hindi na ako nagpapa ultrasound. pero if the environment is healthier than before, malamang, hindi mag-i-increase ang size ng myoma ko. and, hopefully, mawala na sila in time.

i know it's a case-to-case basis. pero, i believe that proper diet and exercise will surely help solve this problem we women encounter.
    siguro it's best to ask your doctors kung ano ba cause ng pagkakaroon ng myoma ninyo or mahal sa buhay. if it is hormonal just like sa case ko, ask if either estrogen or progesterone dominant. pag nalaman nyo na, research nyo na kung anu-anong mga pagkain ang dapat kainin at dapat itigil kainin. magexercise na palagi. at kung mataba nga, magpapayat na.

i hope this helps.

i just want to share my experience...

i had pelvic ultra (part of my gen check up) sa clinica manila.the one who did the ultra, i think, are trainees, because they keep on asking, is my spelling correct, when they type something in the screen. tapos, they called a senior tech, because they saw abnormalities yata, di sila sure what to do (which is think is a big no no, kasi ma stress ang patient) at un ang nangyari sa akin, na stress ako, i keep on saying, bakit, ano ang nakita ninyo? they answered na me malaki sa pelvic ko, they do not know what.

tapos, when the senior tech arrived, she told the trainees, this is what should be done, etc. tapos tanong sa akin, kung madalas na ako magka myoma, sabi ko, what is that? di ko alam iyon. sabi nila, doctor nalang magsasabi, after the result.

diba, it is not proper for them to say anything sa patient, unless 100% sure? ang nangyari sa akin, pag uwi ko, nag research ako tungkol sa myoma. before the ultra, wala akong nararamdaman, ngayon, when i found out the signs and symptoms of myoma, nararamdaman ko na. sumasakit ang tyan ko at frequent urination. di ko alam kung psychological ito or talagang meron nga....

reading this thread, gave me an idea of what to do, if ever meron nga ako! i will be posting here the result, after i received it.

^ Isnt it that during your ultrasound malalaman mo na agad result whether you have myoma or not since they are scanning it and they can actually see shall there be anything wrong. I had my TV ultrasound 2 weeks and right after the process i was told i have myoma and was just advised to get pregnant immediately sadly wala man lang ni recommend na gamot to make it shrink or atleast maretain yung size since my ob was saying that it could get bigger and might eventually block the tube where sperm passes and if that happens obviously di na ko pwede magkababy

Myoma

I was dx having myoma june 2007 My first symptom was having a severe dysmenorrhea and continuous bleeding. I was rushed in hospital and undergone D&C. By my myoma is still here and have endometriosis too, my OB gave me a Depoprovera to balance my hormones. She said there is an injection that helps in making my myoma small and give way to the baby to implant. But i dont have any plans yet in having a baby. Im also scared that I wasnt able to become pregnant. Is there still a chance that I will get pregnant? IS other treatment for my condition? What can I do? Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast