PEx Highlights

MOVIE REVIEW: The Giver

Very promising, but tries too hard to fit in the mold of the Hunger Games/Divergent series.

read more

Watch 'The Legend Ends' Trailer!

Check out the trailer of the final instalment of the Rurouni Kenshin series, 'The Legend Ends.'

read more

PHOTOS: UE Keep Final Four Dream Alive

Despite not fielding in Roi Sumang, the UE Red Warriors managed to get a 64-55 win over the NU Bulldogs.

read more

PHOTOS: Daquis Bags V-League MVP Plum

Wonder who won the other awards? Check out the Shakey's V-League Awarding gallery here!

read more

FIBA FEATURE: Do We Stand a Chance?

Do we really have a shot to make it through? JPM weighs in on the the odds of Gilas Pilipinas in the FIBA World Cup.

read more

Calling All Travel Bloggers!

Wanna get featured in PEx-Travel? Share with us your travel blogs and have your entries promoted around PinoyExchange!

read more

Page 1 of 42 1 2 11 ... LastLast

I-Witness: The GMA Documentaries

The very 1st episode of I-Witness I remembered watching was feature on a certain "dog-caused human mental diesease" yata yun. Si Luchi Cruz Valdez pa ang nag report.
    It was an eye-opener and very touching.

I simply have forgotten some of the the episodes I watched. But remembers kara Davids' SEX BOMB. medyo nalayo nga ito sa the usual deep topic pero maganda ang pagkagawa ni Kara david.

There's a certain episode where kara did a documentary on a place called Little Baguio. Havent seen it pero palaging inaadvertise and kahit a few minutes of that report reallt touches the heart.

Susan enriquez's report on bilibid kagabi was parang emergency yata. but bilib ako sa kanya 7 patay ang nahukay sa bilibid and she was all there. isa nga siya sa mga dahilan kung bakit nahukay.

anything to share

NOTEand WARNING: This is to discuss the program. Any comparison to the Correspondents please refer to this thread
    http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/...0&pagenumber=2

gusto kong reporter si kara david ang galing nung documentary nyang "deboto". sumali sya sa prusisyon ng Nazareno sa Quiapo ba yon. bilib ako sa ginawa nya. nakipagsiksikan talaga sya, sa dami ng tao tapos nakaakyat pa sya don sa Nazareno mismo. bali wala yung naipit ipit sya. naiyak sya after. wala, natouch lang ako kasi totoong totoo pagrereport nya.

pareho tayo. kara david din.
    maganda yung boses niya parang kinukuwentuhan ka niya.

though, i couldn't agree more when others about the SexBomb episode but still watched it kasi siya pal ang nag report and liked it in the end.

Smile

http://www.inq7.net/ent/2003/jul/02/images/ent_3-1-big.jpg

Originally posted by noodle15
    gusto kong reporter si kara david ang galing nung documentary nyang "deboto". sumali sya sa prusisyon ng Nazareno sa Quiapo ba yon. bilib ako sa ginawa nya. nakipagsiksikan talaga sya, sa dami ng tao tapos nakaakyat pa sya don sa Nazareno mismo. bali wala yung naipit ipit sya. naiyak sya after. wala, natouch lang ako kasi totoong totoo pagrereport nya.
    Ito rin ang favorite kong documentary ng I-Witness. Napaisip ako tungkol sa pananampalataya ng mga Pilipino. Mahusay ang pagkakagawa nito.

parang hindi ko yata ito napanood.
    sayang at walang sariling site yung I-witness.

accompanying article

Originally posted by noodle15
    http://www.inq7.net/ent/2003/jul/02/images/ent_3-1-big.jpg
    Kara David lives on cutting edge of her TV stories
    Posted: 10:39 PM (Manila Time) | Jul. 01, 2003
    By Jocelyn Valle ,Inquirer News Service

KARA David doesn't want to see her face on TV. "Kaya lang, ''I-Witness' nga ang title ng program namin (But "I-Witness" was the title of our program), so I have to be there."

Kara never really dreamed of becoming an on-cam personality. She had wanted to be an elementary-school teacher, specializing in her favorite subject, History.

But after earning a degree in broadcast communication in 1994, she got a part-time job as production assistant and researcher for GMA-7's coverage of the national elections. Kara officially joined the network in 1996 as researcher for "Emergency." Then she became a reporter for another public-affairs program, "Brigada Siete," which gave her first taste of on-cam work.

"Malaking problema sa akin 'yun (That was my big problem)," she recounts, shaking her head. "Hindi ako marunong mag-makeup. High-pitched ang boses ko. Gusto kong magpa-nose lift! (I did know how to put on make-up. My voice was high-pitched. I wanted a nose-lift.)"

How she looked on TV didn't matter to viewers, though. They loved the way she presented her reports with clarity and sincerity.

In 2001, Kara became a full-fledged news reporter, and the following year she became a part of the Monday-night documentary program.

"Pangarap ko talagang mag-'I-Witness,' (It was my dream to be in "I-Witness")" she smiles. "Sinabi nila sa akin na maghanap ako ng cutting-edge na story. Sabi ko gagawin ko 'yung gusto ko-children, simpleng buhay sa probinsya. During that time uso 'yung PPA, so naisip ko na maghanap ng isang barangay na walang kuryente. (They told me to look for a cutting edge story. I said I'll do a report on children and the simple life in the provice. During that time PPA was 'in' so I thought I must look for a village without electricity.)"

Then suddenly she remembered the teacher who wrote to her just before "Brigada" folded up. "Sabi niya (She said)," she relates, "baka naman puwedeng bigyan mo kami ng gasera o lumang baterya ng kotse para mailawan ang eskwelahan namin (you may want to give us a gas lamp or old car batteries so that we could light up the school).'

Upon the suggestion of her executive producer, Nanette Matilac, Kara and her researcher looked for another barangay in a similar situation. They discovered one in Ifugao, but this time a solution had been found in the invention of a hydroelectric plant by one of its villagers.

"Gamu-gamo sa Dilim" tugged at the hearts of viewers, and she was able to replicate the same affecting result in her succeeding documentaries: "Kasambahay," "Laruan" (about street kids who got into prostitution), "Breadwinner," "Deboto," "Bangungot ng mga Anghel" (kids who lost their minds because of the abuses they suffered) and "Teacher."

When it comes to editing her script, though, the EP has the last say. "And it breaks my heart," she groans. "Ang style ko daw kasi, pang-libro na walang limit. Dapat daw matuto akong magpa-iksi. Hindi ibig sabihin na 'pag maiksi s'ya, 'di na puwedeng maging lyrical. Marunong naman akong makinig sa kanila. (My style, they say, is by the book, no limits. I have to learn how to keep it concise. It doesn't mean that if it's concise, it won't by lyrical. I can say I know how to listen to them.)"

Kara also admits that she used to be cynical about the power of faith and prayers before she met Christian, her case study for "Deboto." "Pinaakyat n'ya ako sa Nazareno sa Quiapo (He wanted me to climb on the image of the Black Nazarene)," she recounts her first close encounter of the religious kind. "Dati pinagtatawanan ko lang 'yung mga pumupunta doon. Pero naiyak talaga ako. (Before I used to scoff at those who join the procession. But now I was moved.)"

After the documentary was aired, Kara got a call the following day from a donor who wanted to help Christian. "Dinala namin siya sa Makati Med (We brought him to the Makati Medical Center)," she relates. "The doctors tried to insert a tube inside his body. Pero masyadong maliit ang katawan n'ya. 'Di talaga kaya. Maraming problema ang batang 'yun. (He had a frail body. He could not take it. He had a lot of problems.)

"Hopeless na, kaya tinext ko lahat ng mga kaibigan ko: Please pray for Christian. Sila naman: Ha? Parang it's not you-pero magpi-pray na rin kami. First time kong mag-ask ng prayer. Dati kasi kapag may nangyayaring magandang bagay dahil sa prayer, hindi ako naniniwala. (It was hopeless so I texted all my friends: Please pray for Christian. They said: What? It's like it's not you but we'll pray nevertheless. It was the first time to ask for prayers. Before, when something beautiful happens out of prayer, I did not believe it.)"

After a month of receiving therapy at their home in Pampanga, Christian was miraculously healed. "Ang taba na niya! (He is now healthy)" she exclaims. "Nakaka-smile na siya. Nagre-respond na siya. Nung una kasi akala namin blind siya. (He can now smile. He can respond. At first we thought he was blind.)"

Christian is not the only person she's interviewed that Kara's has gotten attached to. On her mobile phone, she has stored digital images of the children who have touched her life, side by side with her own two-year-old daughter, Julia Kristiana.

Membership
    i didn't like the sexbomb ep, ang daming looped shots

her other reports could have been more extraordinary yet yung pagkagawa ng sexbomb episode was naman.
    may clips din ng UMD, the orig dance group idols.

come to hink of it, mahirap pala mag-isip ng isang kakaiba yet touching at may impact na topic.

I-WITNESS: AN UNPARALLELED RECORD OF EXCELLENCE

Near the end of the second millennium, the country's most awarded network, defying the notion that the Filipino was not ready for documentaries on mainstream television, stood pat against popular belief and launched its most daring program, I-Witness. With nothing but faith in the show’s concept as well as trust along the lines of “if you build it, they will come,” it did not take long before it became apparent that GMA had a critical and commercial success on its hands.

Within the first few episodes, the raves came pouring in. The station was deluged with letters, calls and email praising the move and the episodes they have seen. Media acclaim was just as plentiful. And after only a year on the air, it broke even GMA’s already illustrious track record in awards by becoming the first and still the only Filipino Peabody award winner for Jessica Soho’s documentaries on boxing and “kidneys for sale” in the year 2000. (Jay Taruc’s child labor report for the defunct “Brigada Siete” was also cited for the award.) The pilot episode, “Mental” and Cheche Lazaro’s docu on the comfort women’s victory in a Japanese tribunal court were both awarded the Silver Medal in the New York Festivals. And the honors keep coming, as I-Witness scored another rare feat with a grand slam victory in all local award-giving bodies for the year 2001.

just saw KARA DAVID being hailed as one of I-Witness' reporters.
    at last nakita ko na rin yung portion kung saan siya umakyat sa NAZARENO.

only CheChe Lazaro could top that.

pinalabas ulit?

i love the kara david documentaries din.

and that of luchi cruz's documentary about families living under bridges.

noddle15
    nope. yung parang advertisement lang ng people who become "I-Witness"es.

*double post*

i miss watching this show! isa ito sa mga news and public programs ng GMA na really worth watching. well, lahat naman ng news and public affairs programs nila mahusay.

i dare to say na kahit hanggang ngayon hindi pa rin maabot abot ng abs cbn ang galing ng news department ng GMA. basta sa NEWS numero 1 pa rin ang GMA.

Originally posted by whyte
    noddle15
    nope. yung parang advertisement lang ng people who become "I-Witness"es.
    I meant noodle15

anyway, you can only appreaciate an episode, kahit ano man yun, after watching it fully. pero IMO there are episodes na sa umpisa pa lang na o kaya

howie severino is also one reporter.

what's the next episode kaya

Pssst....sasama ka ba? luciam124's Avatar
    @Whyte

hi i love this thread. ganito na lang ang mga gawin mong topic/thread kesa naman dun sa mga bina-bump mong walang sense.

(ayan pinagpost mo ako ng OFF TOPIC dito)

I also remember the episode by luchi cruz valdes about a certain mental (?) illness. It was very touching.

Wala bang video compilation ng mga I-witness episodes? I would love to have them!

Page 1 of 42 1 2 11 ... LastLast