PEx Highlights

Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter

Be in the know! Follow @pinoyexchange on Twitter for community, movies, sports and promo updates.

read more

PROMO: The Book of Life

Join the promo and get a chance to win exclusive The Book of Life merchandise!

read more

PHOTOS: Alaska Wins Laugher vs Champs

Calvin Abueva (21 points, 11 rebounds) and the Alaska Aces made a statement on Wednesday, dominating the Purefoods Star Hotshots in a laugher, 93-73.

read more

Top Female Celebrities

2 more weeks and she will officially be the IT GIRL of the month. Can her fans keep it up? Jane Oineza is still PEx's Top Female Celeb!

read more

REVIEW: The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. takes off his iron suit and stars in this legal drama. Read our review here!

read more

Big Hero 6 Pins!

New movie pin alert! Join the movie discussion thread and collect all five Big Hero 6 pins!

read more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Sore Eyes

Sorry offline ang search function, dunno kung may thread na for this...

anyways...

Ano ang best prevention para maiwasan ang sore eyes?

Kung may sore eyes ka na, ano ang pinakamabisang gamot?

Salamat.

Yup, there was already a thread on this, but then because the search function is down, I can't find it either.

The best way to prevent sore eyes (acute conjunctivitis) is very simple -- handwashing. Never touch your eyes with unclean hands because that sort of contact is the most common way of transmitting the virus. Also avoid sharing things with someone with sore eyes, e.g. pillow, sunglasses, etc.

Ano ang pinakamabisang gamot? Believe it or not, this is a dangerous question. The type of medicine depends on the eye's condition, so the best course is to see an ophthalmologist.

I know that pharmacies, nurses and even doctors are fond of giving eyedrops containing steroids. Patients are also fond of using "tira tira na eyedrops" previously used by another member of the family.

Steroids are good drugs--under certain conditions. It is also a very dangerous eyedrop under some other conditions. I have already encountered patients who thought their red eyes were due to "sore eyes", but had eye complications, even blindness, because of the wrong kind of medicine.

So, please, no self medicating.

i bought Maxitrol 5ml bottle suspension http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/pr...006&trx=1Z5006 ok ba ito?

Maxitrol contains steroids. I discourage you from using this without an eye doctor seeing you first.

SCHEISSE!!!!

Just woke up this morning and I found out I have sore eyes!!! I can't go to my opthal since it's a holiday they're closed!!! Those people in the optical shop don't know a thing no? And is it alright to wear my contacts even with sore eyes?

And what are the symptoms of sore eyes? My left eye is namumula but it's not hurting naman. Kasi I remember before when you have sore eyes, when you blink you feel there's something stuck in your eye lids.

You can go to the emergency room. Most big hospitals have an ophthalmology resident on duty. If you want to make sure, just call them up and ask if they do.

It's better NOT to wear your contact lenses when you have ANY active problem with your eyes.

Symptoms of sore eyes (or acute conjunctivitis) may include ANY(or all) of the following: red eyes, swelling, discharge (nagmumuta), tearing (nagluluha), pain (usually mahapdi or mabigat), slight blurring of vision, etc.

Take note though, that sore eyes are not the ONLY cause of red eyes. So be careful...

SCHEISSE!!!!

Well, I went to the doctor. And I DO have sore eyes... bummer... the doctor gave me Fucithalmic/Fusidic Acid. Is that ok?

Yup, it's non-steroid containing. Morever, you've been seen by the eye doctor. He/she would know better than me (re your condition), since nakita ka na niya.

SCHEISSE!!!!

Thanks doc. It means I can't go out tonight? But the weird thing with my sore eyes now, is that unlike before, walang sensation na parang may dust trapped sa eyes ko, at di siya mahapdi or mabigat. It feels na wala akong sore eyes, it's just namumula and nagmumuta at times.

The symptoms of conjunctivitis depends on the particular viral (or sometimes bacterial) strain that affected your eyes.

You may go out BUT with restrictions. Wear your glasses (not your contacts). Avoid direct contact with other people (like handshaking, etc). Wash your hands frequently, esp when you have touched your eyes. For that matter, avoid touching your eyes (the eyeglasses would help ). Use tissue if you need to wipe your eyes, throw away the tissue and make sure to wash your hands with soap and water. Change your pillowcase daily and advise other people not to use your pillow. Oh, and be careful when applying the Fucithalmic, don't let the tip touch your eyes, otherwise you'd be contaminating the medicine itself.

Hope you get well soon!

SCHEISSE!!!!

Thank you doc!!!!

Originally posted by eyedoc
    Maxitrol contains steroids. I discourage you from using this without an eye doctor seeing you first.
    anong effect ng steroids sa mata?

Firstly, I would like to emphasize that what is discouraged is UNSUPERVISED USAGE. Topical steroids are actually very good drugs, IF correctly used for the condition the eyes have and proper follow up is done.

Possible side effects of unsupervised topical steroid eyedrop usage:
    - flaring up or worsening of the infection*
    - lengthening of the time of infection*
    - steroid induced cataract formation**
    - steroid induced glaucoma***

*This is more dangerous when the infection is not "just" sore eyes but something else like a corneal ulcer. This could eventually lead to blindness.

**Lens opacities cannot be removed medically once it has already occurred. The only option to remove it would be surgical.

***This is even more difficult to treat. Morever, any vision lost due to glaucoma is irreversible.

On the flip side, however, there are certain conditions that NEED topical steroids. Non-infectious inflammations like uveitis, scleritis, episcleritis (these conditions can also cause red eye) etc. are examples. SOME infections also need steroids to lessen the inflammation.

The only person/s who can judge what eyedrop can be used for you is the ophthalmologist, after he/she has done a thorough eye examination. Not the pharmacist, the nurse, your neighbor, your friend or even your internet doctor (like me, unless I get to see you).

Thank you very much eyedoc, you've been very helpful

i have sore eyes. my mom and sister used Spersacet C so i bought one for myself na rin since they are in the province so i cannot share. ok lang ba yun ? medyo matagal ang sore eyes ko. last sat pa to and ngayon medyo may konting pula pa sya pero nde na masakit. kaya lang makati na sya ngayon. sabi nila, papagaling na daw kasi kaya ganun. totoo po ba yun ?

thanks in advance.

Viral conjunctivitis usually last for 1-2 weeks, so OK pa iyan. If it has lasted for more than 1 week already, better see an eye doctor because it may be some other condition which may entail another treatment.

Spersacet-C is a pure antibiotic eyedrop. Although it is relatively "safer" because it does not contain steroids, improper use could also cause problems. For now, you may use it 3 times daily.

Next time, try not to self-medicate, OK?

thank u very much po.

is it true that sore eyes is due to calcium deficiency? my cousins have sore eyes and my grandma said that it was because they lack calcium. also, we have a 1 year old baby and they said that she will not have sore eyes because she does not lack calcium because she is drinking milk.
    also, if everyone in my family have sore eyes, is there a possibility that i wont be infected?

also, if everyone in my family have sore eyes, is there a possibility that i wont be infected?
    sa experience ko hindi ka mahahawa pag maingat ka, lahat sa bahay nagka sore eyes pero ako hindi...

is it true that sore eyes is due to calcium deficiency?
    No. Sore eyes is due to an infection.

also, if everyone in my family have sore eyes, is there a possibility that i wont be infected
    Yes, as long as the virus doesn't get into your eyes. See my earlier post on how to avoid virus transmission.

Wear your glasses (not your contacts). Avoid direct contact with other people (like handshaking, etc). Wash your hands frequently, esp when you have touched your eyes. For that matter, avoid touching your eyes (the eyeglasses would help ). Use tissue if you need to wipe your eyes, throw away the tissue and make sure to wash your hands with soap and water. Change your pillowcase daily and advise other people not to use your pillow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast