PEx Highlights

PROMO: If I Stay

Join the If I Stay promo and win advance screening tickets!

read more

FEATURE: The 1986 FIBA World Championship

How would the 1986 Philippine national team have fared had it gone to Spain in the 1986 FIBA World Championship?

read more

MOVIE REVIEW: Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno

With its perfectly choreographed fight scenes and compelling execution, "Kyoto Inferno" is the perfect bridge to "Legend Ends."

read more

Top Celebrity Loveteams!

No surprises! They still rule the loveteam forum, but there's no space for complacency, because another couple might just steal their slot.

read more

PHOTOS: Ateneo Wins in the Clutch Again

Kiefer Ravena made another clutch shot at the dying minutes of the game, cementing an Ateneo win over the UE Red Warriors, 78-73.

read more

UAAP Basketball 2nd Round Schedule

Planning to catch a game before the season ends? Check out the 2nd round schedule for UAAP basketball!

read more

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Originally posted by jp_v

guys i know aLL of you wanna watch franco. nut if any wanna watch me, sept 7, 8, 13, 14, 15. fri and sat, 8pm. sunday, 3pm. francos doing the last show.=( but its k. blue squirel naman ako eh.
    hi! matagal na namin ni singollo gustong panoorin ang LWW (true-blue narnia fans!) at naantig ang damdamin namin nang makita ang post mo, jp_v kaya pinanood ka namin nun sep 8, sun 3pm (syemps alam lang namin nun na di ka si franco ).

magaling ka naman a. nag-enjoy kami sobra! grabe, nakakahiya dahil naiyak ako nung namatay si aslan. exag talaga ako. anyway, congrats! we're glad we got to see it before it ended. sa uulitin!

ganda nga pala ng set design nyo and costumes and make up. ang colorful. good luck for this week!

AsLaN is on d move

bakit kaya di nag po post si chevy? oiiii chevs paramdam ka naman!!!!

Post a review

Oo nga, where did chev go? Natapos lang yung stint niya as Peter, nawala na.

Hey chev, if you're out there, have you seen this na? Our school paper made a review of the show. silverunicorn, I'm guessing that you saw this na.

NARNIA REVISTED
    By BJ David

Trumpets has always been one of Philippines’ most notable theater groups. Its extraordinary reputation is backed up by a multitude of acclaimed productions such as Joseph the Dreamer, First Name, Widows, Orphans & Wildebeests and The Little Mermaid. IN 1997, Trumpets adapted the C. S. Lewis classic, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (LWW), which quickly became a favorite among theater-buffs, young and old. As such, it comes as no surprise that Trumpets is once again staging this much –loved and critically acclaimed musical with a new cast and a few “returnees” from the premiere troupe, namely, Audie Gemora and Bonggoy Manahan. Indeed, this restaging of LWW is ample proof that Trumpets is not just a “one musical company,” as it was branded years ago when Joseph the Dreamer became a hit.

LWW is based on The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, the first installment in C. S. Lewis’ seven-book masterpiece, [I[The Chronicles of Narnia[/I]. This book is an introduction about the “world beyond the wardrobe door” and the adventures found within.

Set during World War II, the story of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe centers around the Pevensie children—Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. To escape the danger of the air raids over London, the children are sent by their parents to Professor Digory Kirke’s manor. To help the four youngsters settle in their new home, the professor persuaded them to explore and discover what are behind “doors”. Intrigued by their guardian’s invitation, the four explored the house and eventually Lucy, the youngest, comes across a wardrobe, which is actually a portal to the world of Narnia.

Narnia is a snow-covered place ruled by the White Witch, Jadis, the self-proclaimed queen who has condemned the land in endless winter. Upon entering this world, the Pevensies meet strange and interesting characters, one of which is Aslan, Lion King and the true ruler of Narnia. Aslan is the leader of a resistance group composed of different creatures of the woods intent on overthrowing the White Witch and restoring the natural order of the realm. As it turns out, Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy are an essential part of the prophecy that will save all of Narnia and this is where all the adventure beings.

Trumpets’ production of LWW is an original all-Filipino musical adaptation written by Jaime del Mundo and Luna Griòo-Inocian. Even though there are already British and American stagings of the musical, Trumpets was still able to get permission from the C. S. Lewis Estate (the whole process took a year) to mount their own production. In fact, during its second staging in 1998, Trumpets invited Stephen Gresham, stepson of C. S. Lewis, to watch the show. Gresham was so impressed with the whole production of LWW again, this time with his wife in tow. Indeed, this approval from the family and estate of the well-loved author is enough evidence that the Trumpets adaptations is at par with other version.

With all the thoughtful care and intensive effort that Trumpets put into the production of LWW, it is no wonder why it became a great success. In terms of going global, the play has the potential to win the favor of international audiences. The production has a good script, excellent set designs, entertaining scenes and, of course, magnificent music. The acting is also worth noting since Trumpets Playshop is well-known from its laudable endeavor of nurturing great talents.

The lines and lyrics of the play are quite remarkable. Though LWW is ostensibly for children, it will also win over the “grown-ups” in the audience who may be looking for lyrical depth. The words of songs like “Open Doors” (the opening song) and “Beloved Narnia” are just pure poetry. The non-musical lines also deserve attention, as they were packed with wit that has the audience giggling and chuckling.

On the other hand, the set design and props for LWW combines effective utility and astounding imagination. A wardrobe propped up against a wall fronts the entire set. This “wardrobe and wall” splits in half to reveal and inclined circular platform, which represents the land of Narnia. The backdrops seem to be Cubist-inspired, giving the whole set a surrealistic atmosphere. The props and costumes are stylishly whimsical. The two factions that are battling for Narnia are distinguished by what they wear: the minions of the White Witch have garments that are inspired by Japanese kabuki, giving them an exotic oriental air. On the other hand, Aslan and his fellow resistance fighters were clad in medieval costumes, evoking the ideals of chivalry. One wonders, though, why the villains seem to be evil “Orientals” while the heroes seem to be noble “knights.” Whether conscious or not, this decisions seems to reinforce the traditional notion (from Rudyard Kipling’s poem) that “Oh East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet.”

However enjoyably good LWW is, it still has its share of flaws. Though the play has a lot of entertaining song and dance routines, solos, and transitions, the mediocre blocking and cheesy duel scene mars its overall effect. The blocking was too chaotic, especially in scenes where there were more than five people on stage. Some of the actor facings seemed a little off, and this often made the audience lose track of where the main characters were. As for the aforementioned cheesy duel between Peter and Fenris Ulf, it was annoying, slightly overwrought and poorly choreographed. And while the confrontation between the two wasn’t really the focus of the production, its rather clumsy handling left some of the audience quite displeased.

Nevertheless, the heart of LWW is its music. All of the songs are a pleasurable blend of classical music, 1950’s show tunes, and Christmas carols. This wonderful mix is the work of Trumpets’ very own Lito Villareal. Indeed, LWW’s melody is just as enchanting as its story. The top-notch arrangement, combined with the wonderful lyrics of songs such as “Sing For Joy” and “It’s a Miracle” will most definitely captivate every listener’s ear.

LWW certainly deserves this new run. With its refreshing new cast, amazing production design, great music, and classic storyline, LWW is a play that’s going to end up in Trumpets’ belt-of-honor. It is most definitely an excellent, world-class local production tat can go head-to-head with international productions. There’s going to be no problem exporting this one.

Nice article.

Oo nga pala, jp_v, sabi ng fwend ko ang galing mo daw.

Di na bumalik si chevs para magkwento...

Hi guys!!

grabe!! ngayon *** ako ulit naka-log in dto.. sabog ako fr all the schoolwork!!! ngyn ko *** tuloy nabasa *** mga bloopers
    sobrang tawang-tawa ako dto lalo na *** nahulog *** wig ni Aslan.. hahaha di pa naman comedy *** character nya, kaya lalo 2loy nakakatawa..hehe

nung nanuod nga ***.. hinihintay namin kung matatalisod (ang sama noh?) si Peter o si Edmund e..habulan kc ng habulan sa set e hehe.. pero fortunately hindi nangyari un..

sayang..last week na pala.. wala ba kayong THE REPEAT? jpv, galingan mo sa last shows mo ha.. gud luck!! ikaw ba *** mag-play sa last show?

last show ata ni jp_v is Sunday matinee (Sept. 15, 3pm)
    May tickets pa kami for this show (text at 0917-8113353)

Yung mga di pa nanonood, what are you waiting for???

Di na to mauulit for a long time!!!

--"in Aslan's name"

m@s@m@ng t@0

penge tickets hehe...

AsLaN is on d move

wow nice article.

palapit na ng palapit ang friday, saturday and sunday, nakuuuu last days na yun ng LWW. di ko na yata mapapanood. i wanna see it again!!!!!

Originally posted by zalvaje
    penge tickets hehe...
    All i can promise is a good discount...

I'M BACK!!! hehehe...

kwento about my last show? hmmm...i forgot a couple of lines (it was my fault Aslan, i yelled at him (i didnt want to admit that it was my fault...))...i kinda hurt myself during the sword fight with Fenris...during the big battle scene, my two fight partners DIED sabay and left me with nothing to do but just wait for my musical cue...but one of them suddenly RESURRECTED and scared me to death...and Paolo bowed to me during the curtain call...in short, IT WAS A GREAT SHOW!!!! hehe...

ANG GANDA NG ARTICLE!!! hehehe...

10man : howdy doo!!!!

AsLaN is on d move

welcome back chevs, tagal mong nawala ah.

congratulations on your show!!!

hello to all!

Smile

chevman: And let's not forget how you poked yourself with your flower in "It's a Miracle".

Wink

That's wierd... how do you poke yourself w/ your own flower??

only the chevman can do it!!

must be some blue squirrel instinct manifesting itself in the Peter character...

Angry

"However enjoyably good LWW is, it still has its share of flaws. Though the play has a lot of entertaining song and dance routines, solos, and transitions, the mediocre blocking and cheesy duel scene mars its overall effect. The blocking was too chaotic, especially in scenes where there were more than five people on stage. Some of the actor facings seemed a little off, and this often made the audience lose track of where the main characters were. As for the aforementioned cheesy duel between Peter and Fenris Ulf, it was annoying, slightly overwrought and poorly choreographed. And while the confrontation between the two wasn’t really the focus of the production, its rather clumsy handling left some of the audience quite displeased. "

-- HEL!!! which show did this guy watch?!?! i hope it wasn't me!! cause i nearLy Lost my freakin hand cause of that fenris and those metal swords!!!

to everyone, the swords are metal. yes metal not wood.

AsLaN is on d move

metal?? grabe naman... e di ang bigat nun, delikado pa.

anyway, the play as a whole is really superb! siguro may konting flaws pero di ganun ka noticeable coz you'll really enjoy it from start to end.

congratulations to everybody involved in the production. dun sa mga di pa nakakanood, what are you waiting for guys. you better see it. hanggang 15 na lang yun.

narnian : thanks...

10man : how did i poke my eye with my flower? don't ask...

that sword fight was one of the HARDEST things i've EVER done on stage (besides that time when i was trying to keep my pants from falling down during "Deep Within" in 98...but that's a WHOLE 'nutha story...) jp_v, let's hunt down that BJ David and put HIM in the freakin' sword fight...game ka?

and yes, those freakin' swords are METAL...if you get hit with one of those, mapapamura ka ng di oras...I'M SERIOUS.

oh, i forgot to mention that a couple of weeks ago, during the big battle scene, i got whacked in the head by one of the Giant's clubs....i don't know if it was an Evil Giant or a Good Giant...my vision was blurred after it happened...

to everyone (cast, crew or fans), thanks for all your support...WE LOVE YOU!!!

Ang cool naman ng swords niyo... metal... wow . Want to hold one someday.

Di naman clumsy yung swordfight ha...

Of course, no play is perfect. Sabi nga ng ibang nanood, medyo boring daw sa simula.

O, don't hold it against me. Di siya boring para sa akin kasi nagustuhan ko yung libro.

more bloopers!!! more bloopers!!! [hehe demanding ba? Sorry ha. Naaliw ako sa kakatawa dito e.]

Smile

Aw, this is the last weekend. How sad. Thanks to everyone who watched.
    And we love you, too, chevman. And jp_v too.

purple_mage: heheheheh, you really should try holding one of those swords. According to one cast member, it's not "ergonomically designed", so it's kinda hard to handle. I tried holding once to help with the battle sounds backstage. We just had to bang a couple of those swords against a metal scaffold, really. And one of the swords almost flew out of my hands because the handle wasn't that easy to grip.

More bloopers? This is not my story to tell, but in the "3 Days at the Battle" scene, jp_v's suspenders flew off. Hey, tell us about it again, jp_v!

Last day na tomorrow, after that... BYE BYE NARNIA!!!

Thanks to all those who supported this show, God will bless you in kind

btw, these are all the tickets we have left for tomorrow's show (3pm):
    ORCHESTRA CENTER (P1000)
    ORCHESTRA SIDE (P800)

for inquiries on what seats are left, call/text 0917-8113353 or 0919-5210202

--"until then, happy christmas to all, happy christmas, my friends!!!"

AsLaN is on d move

wahhhhh!!!! naiiyak naman ako.....

ano nga pala susunod na gagwin ng trumpets after LWW?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast