PEx Highlights

PHOTOS: NU Eliminates Ateneo from Final Four

The NU Bulldogs have successfully booked a trip to the UAAP Finals, their first one since 1970, via a 65-63 victory over the Ateneo Blue Eagles.

read more

PROMO: Gone Girl

Join the promo and get a chance to win advance screening tickets to Gone Girl!

read more

PHOTOS: Belo Plays the Hero for FEU

Mac Belo nailed a game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer, sending the FEU Tamaraws to the UAAP Finals with a 67-64 win over the DLSU Green Archers.

read more

RPG: 2014 PEx School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

It's back! Enroll now in the 2014 PinoyExchange School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!

read more

REVIEW: Annabelle

Annabelle is a fun, scary screamfest for the barkada.

read more

Show Me Your Nahulog na Teeths!

Chelsey takes over hosting duties for this week's episode! She and her guest talk about the big fall from the recently held Cosmo Bachelor Bash.

read more

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Question The Next Generation: Not As Good As Their Dads

When Jonas Mariano, son of Jaime, was drafted by Ginebra in 1994, the commentators hailed the coming of the new generation. I believe that was the first time a child of a pro basketball player followed in his father's footsteps. However, what can you say about the proposition "The Second Generation Is Not As Good As Their Dads"?

Just look at this sample roster and compare it to their dads: Jason Webb (Freddie), Joaquin and Ernesto Loyzaga (Carlos), Richard Bachmann (Kurt), Marlon Basco (Mario), Merwin Castelo (Orlando) and the ultimate pathetic excuse for a player Robert Jaworski Jr. Christopher Tan (Norman Black) can also be considered since he is a stepson. Even if he is doing well in his rookie year, let's see if Florendo Ritualo Jr. can last as long as his dad who played for nine years.

The sons have not lived up to the lofty achievements of their dads. What are the reasons?

panda is going to eat you color_s_Kaboink's Avatar

maybe too much hype and the expectation to deliver at once made these 2nd generations lose focus.....

so far it's only ritualo whose slowly emerging out to prove this "theory" wrong..... sayang talaga si jonas mariano.....

i think pede na rin yung lack of playing time that derailed their success as a pro player.....minsan kasi ang nag-d-draft sa kanila n team ay either na meron ng duplicate sa position nila.... suwertehan lang siguro..... lalo na si renren kasi bago lang ang team ng fed-ex kaya may playing time eh others? malas SAKA sana yung PBA magdagdag ng teams.... para hindi mabulok ang mga magagaling na players

yung iba naman they're just using the names of ther father para maka-paglaro lang....

good list you got there...
    Originally posted by AnthonyServinio
    The sons have not lived up to the lofty achievements of their dads. What are the reasons?
    I think the reason is because we, the expectators expect a lot from them since their fathers are used to be that great. The pressure is on them and they just can't live the HYPE that was brought to them.
    I think most of them also got the talent but the competition now is much tougher than the past. I mean,
    just look at the "Fil-am" invasion. These young'uns were not given the chance because they were outsized by the Filams...

as for Dodot.......tingin ko plain and simple, wala lang talaga syang talent
    ...baka pinilit lang sya noon ni Jawo maglaro...di nmn tlaga nya hilig

http://www.boomspeed.com/9ino/VC_ASG.gif

...I agree with you especially with dudot.

...but the Loyzaga brothers were excellent during their prime. I don't think Ginebra/Anejo would have been famous without them.

Yeah, Dudut was nowhere near his dad's playing prowess. To his credit though, his English was much, much better than his dad's .

To the Loyzagas' credit though, they certainly did not bring shame to their name. Especially Chito. He was one guy who had no qualms about doing the dirty jobs like rebounding, guarding the big boys, hustling. And he even scored the emotional threes that got the Ginebra crowd on their feet. And, I guess I really cannot relate because I never got to see most of these players' dads play. Except for Jaworski. I hate the guy, but I have to admit, he's got talent, and he has UE's string of championships to back it up.

off-topic:

My dad got into basketball because of Jaworski. He used to tell me that on two subjects, Jaworski was his classmate. And with UE's championship run during his day, my dad was simply thrilled with basketball. Curiously though, my dad hates the Jaworski-era Ginebra team because of Jaworski. Perhaps Jaworski wasn't as mean and dirty a player when he was in college.

the coolangot

si ritualo lang ang nakikitang kong mas magaling sa ama. kaya lang iba ang style nila. blue collar/enforcer type si Papa Florendo, shooter naman itong si Ren Ren the alien. Pero feeling ko, magiging star si ren ren.

yung loyzaga brothers, esp. chito, napantayan ang kinang ng kanilang ama. di ko lang ma-judge dahil di pa ako buhay nung naglaro si Caloy Loyzaga.

si richard yee di ba anak ni jess migalbin?

kahit sa college ranks medyo laos ang mga second generation: si derrick at paolo hubalde, si villamin, si jimino manansala, *** cabatu brothers, si tuadles ng UST, si la mumar ng ateneo, etc.

Talking ANAk

Two years ago in the PBL. the ANA Freezers counted three sons of retired pro players on their roster: Cristino Reynoso Jr., Felix Flores Jr. and Jayjay Sullano (son of Jesse). Even the team's star player, Paolo Mendoza, was the son of the owner Rudy Mendoza.

They should have renamed the team the ANAK Freezers!

We just can't expect the sons to be as good as their fathers. All are unique. it doesn't mean na kung tatay mo si Jaworski, kasing galing mo na siya.

nice thread. as for other examples of the sons failing to live up to their fathers' achievements...

adriano (addy) papa III (son of jun)
    loreto (elvis) tolentino jr. (son of ato)

ang dami kong naisip dati, but most of them have been mentioned already in here. i also agree that renren ritualo may be one of the few players to surpass his dad's achievements in the pba...

LECHON = LYDIA'S (TM)

sons > dads:

1. don and carlito allado - the son's kicking a$$ for the alaska aces as an mvp candidate. on the other hand, the dad was merely an average center in the uaap in the early '70s, where his teammates included the late fort acuna and ex-kume jun bernardino. he played very briefly for u-tex in the micaa.

2. richard yee and jess migalbin - if given proper exposure, yee could become a capable starter in the pba. migalbin had one great season (19 ppg in 1980) and several mediocre/inconsistent ones.

dads > sons:

1. james and nate payne - james was an import for tanduay in the late '70s...while his son was nothing more than a benchwarmer for the pampanga stars...

2. larry and l.a. mumar - now this one's unique...a son who may not match the accomplishments of his dad...and mom! certainly, l.a. is a far cry from his late father...and i think he's got a lot of lechon to eat if he wants to be in the same level as his mom coney reyes in the showbiz world...

LECHON = LYDIA'S (TM)

I do see a trend here. If the father was great player like Jaworski or Hubalde, their sons aren't that good to say the least.

While if the father isn't that great a player, the son, in this case Ren ren looks promising.

NINJeremy
    http://timnin.freeyellow.com/stickman.gif

Originally posted by NINJeremy
    I do see a trend here. If the father was great player like Jaworski or Hubalde, their sons aren't that good to say the least.

While if the father isn't that great a player, the son, in this case Ren ren looks promising.

NINJeremy
    http://timnin.freeyellow.com/stickman.gif
    dapat pala mag anak na si Feihl. o kung may anak na sya, madaliin nya paglaki....para meron na tayong Shaq in the making!

Administrator

In my opinion, I think the reason is just plain odds.

If you take all the great players of today, in most cases, they will be better than their dads. It's just in a few situations where the previous generation fathers were very good players in their time that the sons have a hard time living up to.

For every Webb, Jaworski, Mariano, Loyzaga, and Hubalde who were better in their day than what their offspring are currently showing, you can find players like Abarrientos, Patrimonio, Duremdes, and Miller who are certainly better than their fathers in basketball.

The point is, genes is only a small part of how successful athletes are. Attitude, training, competition, and diet are some other factors that play just as important a role.

Peace.

Originally posted by Kaboom!
    Attitude, training, competition, and diet are some other factors that play just as important a role.
    ^well said pre!

the coolangot

Best father/son combo

Who do you think is the best father/son team?

1. Jellybean and Kobe Bryant
    2. Jimmy Walker and Jalen Rose
    3. Mike Dunleavy, Sr. and Mike Dunleavy, Jr.
    4. Rick and Brent/Jon/Drew/Scooter Barry
    5. Henry and Mike Bibby
    6. Dolph and Danny Schayes

or...

1. Freddie and Jason Webb
    2. Sonny and Dudut Jaworski
    3. Jess Migalbin and Richard Yee
    4. Romy and Billy Mamaril
    5. Caloy and Chito/Joey Loyzaga
    6. Freddie and Derrick/Paolo Hubalde
    7. Peter and Japeth Aguilar

marami pa diyan... sino pa?

Sino sa tingin niyo?

Usually the son isn't up to par with the father.

Sonny and Ryan Jaworski
    Kurt Bachman and Dickie Bachman
    Pilo and the three pumaren bros.
    Jimmy Mariano and Jonas Mariano
    Larry Mumar and the Mumar kid
    Jun Papa and Adi papa
    Jimmy Manansala and Gino Manansala
    Loreto Tolentino Sr. and Jr.
    Rich Alvarez and Father
    Turo Valenzona and son (can't recall the name)
    Aric Del Rosario and his two sons
    Jong Uichico and his Blue Eagle son
    Joel Banal and his Blue Eagle son
    the late Arnie Tuadles and his ex-Tiger son
    Sonny Cabatu and his junior and Christian

the coolangot
    Originally posted by bchoter
    Usually the son isn't up to par with the father.
    But in the case of Kobe and Mike Bibby, it's the opposite...

Here's another one.

Yoyoy Villamin and his son who played for UST.
    The late Danny Pribdhas and junior who's currently in the UST lineup.

Paano kaya yung anak ni Jordan?

Wala pang sumasagot sa tanong ko. Sino pinakamagaling na mag-ama?

The bryant and Bibby father/son tandem would probably be the best...

you can also add Bill and Luke Walton
    As the physically weak man can make himself strong by careful and patient training, so the man of weak thoughts can make them strong by exercising himself in right thinking.

From "As a Man Thinketh" By James Allen

the coolangot
    Here's an interesting comment about Kobe's dad from Fox Sports' Charley Rosen:

It all starts with an awareness of what kind of player Kobe's father, Joe "Jelly Bean" Bryant was. Bryant was a talented 6-10 forward who played for Philadelphia, San Diego and Houston. His most productive season was 1981-82 with the San Diego Clippers, when he averaged 11.8 ppg and during the elder Bryant's eight seasons in the NBA his career average was a respectable 8.7 ppg. But his scoring was almost entirely based on his shunning teamwork and indulging in one-on-one confrontations. That's why he never earned the full respect of either his coaches or the media. Also, there was a lot of dipsy-do in Jelly Bean's game which the refs were quick to interpret as palming and traveling violations.

Bryant was incensed that Julius Erving's similar shake-and-bake game was never impinged by the refs also that Dr. J was never castigated by the media as being selfish. Joe felt, with some justification, that he was ahead of his time. Since the NBA didn't value his individualistic talents, Joe took his shakings and bakings to Italy, where he starred for many years. The skills and mind-set of one-on-one play and almost surely a good deal of resentment over his "mistreatment" at the hands of the NBA were a significant portion of Jelly Bean's hoops legacy to his son.

Ah, but the most damaging example that Joe gave to his son was this statement he infamously made to a sportswriter in Philadelphia: "I'd rather score 20 points and lose, than score 10 points and win." So, any coach who dared to inhibit Kobe's wish to razzle and dazzle was messing with his game, squashing his creativity, and generally dissing him. No wonder that Kobe is such a narcissistic personality one who is firmly convinced that he is the center of the universe.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast