PEx Highlights

An FEU-NU Matchup in the UAAP Finals?

Well, you guys were calling for an FEU-NU matchup and we wrote about it! Check out our article about a potential Tamaraws-Bulldogs matchup in the UAAP Finals.

read more

Show Me Your Nahulog na Teeths!

Chelsey takes over hosting duties for this week's episode! She and her guest talk about the big fall from the recently held Cosmo Bachelor Bash.

read more

PROMO: Gone Girl

Join the promo and get a chance to win advance screening tickets to Gone Girl!

read more

PHOTOS: La Salle Extends Series vs FEU

Jeron Teng and the DLSU Green Archers had no problems defeating the FEU Tamaraws on Saturday, 94-73.

read more

RPG: 2014 PEx School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

It's back! Enroll now in the 2014 PinoyExchange School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!

read more

REVIEW: Annabelle

Annabelle is a fun, scary screamfest for the barkada.

read more

Post Kali/Silat/Arnis Gyms

Hello. I am a martial art enthusiast and I am very interested to know about locations of Kali or Silat gyms in Metro Manila. I have heard of a silat gym in Proj 7 but I haven't located it yet. Can someone please help me find a location of a good silat or kali gym? Thank you in advance.

PM Brandon96 he teaches Pekiti Tirsia kali

Post The scrarce source of good silat in Manila

It is very hard to find any silat schools in Manila, If it does exist, it's in someone' s backyard. I barely found any at all but I was impressed with Yaw yan as a great empty handed arts, If you really want good Kali -silat then get in contact with Grand Tuhon Gaje, he is a Pendekar in various silat styles aside from being a kali master. A lot of my silat is very Pekiti Based and I attribute this to Tuhon's background. It is hard to find true and pure schools because very few support them back home, instead most because of colonial menatality prefer foreign arts. But like I have been saying, Those of you who are impressed by foreigners don't know that foreigners themselves are very impressed by us or maybe in terms of the practicality and realism of our art. I do not downgrade foreign arts but this is a Pinoy site and If we supported our own then maybe our own would be more available and it will educate more of our own people rather then those of us who spread the arts overseas. Good Luck Paoplo and kudos to you. If ever you need information or contact in Kali feal free to vivsit my site and get inof and email info there. And like Blakedaddy said you have a strong voice already there in brandon so check him out. Hey blake and the rest of you how about responding to some of my queries and comments I need some other feedback from you local homeboys! Promise , I'll ask Brandon to tone it down heheh right Brandon?

Currus Meus Fractus Est

Cool Paolo, let's train in PEKITI TIRSIA Kali!

Paolo Aquino, I invite you pare to train with me in Pekiti Tirsia kali basics. My teachers allowed me to form a small covert informal group at UP/Ateneo/QC where I can share the basics, i.e., what they have taught me so far.

I will not really be a teacher but I will be a teaching assistant or tutor since my teachers are busy with work and business and told me already that they won't be taking in new students and would rather maintain me and my fellows (seniors and others).

We don't have a real formal gym since we train guerrilla-style (outdoors or at a covered roof site). Sundays 630AM to 10AM at UP Diliman. Just get in touch with me at 0917 817 0373. Since you do martial arts, please text me ur full name, your PEX name or nick/handle, your full martial arts background (all your previous and current martial arts affiliations, ranks, training, etc.) and where you live, where you work/study, your home and office phone numbers, etc.

Take the time to visit the following website.

Doug, I would also like to cross train in Silat in the future. Maybe I will start with Mustika Kwetang under GT Leo Gaje. Later on I'd like to get exposed (altho I don't know if they would really take me in) to authentic Mindanao "langka silat"--our very own Filipino pentjak silat, and be able to do what that pendekar you told us about on another thread did to you.

IMHO, there are no Silat teachers here in the Philippines who teach authentic traditional Silat (not the sports Silat at the Rizal Sports Center ha? That's sports only, not genuine) except for Merpati Putih pentjak silat (Doug, you train in this di ba?) at PSBA although I'm not sure if they're still alive as a group, and Guru Besar O'ong Maryono at San Lorenzo Village, Makati who also teaches at Rizal Memorial (then again, the guy is a sports silat teacher, so we can't be sure if he does the oldtimer authentic Silat that can kill or maim and utilizes ilmu or magick).

Paolo, your best bet is to train in Pekiti Tirsia kali first and then get to Silat later on with me under Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje. I also plan to go to Indonesia and visit Pendekar Suliman Sartono, who taught Guru Besar Jeff Davidson some Pukulan Cimande Pusaka pentjak silat (Jeff D. is also a Pekiti Tirsia guy in Michigan).

You should check out Suliman Satorno, I did not know he was in Manila. I read about him in Rapid journal, Sound interesting , Sometimes you have to teach what is in demand (if sport silat-whatever that is is what generates interest and pays the bills ) but in your training you may well be able to find the source of true silat.
    Brandon, I have the tape ready for you send me information as to where to send it.

Currus Meus Fractus Est

Thumbs up Pendekar Suliman Sartono

Doug, Pendekar Suliman Sartono of the Pukulan Cimande Pusaka style of pentjak silat is in Java. Was he or is he in the Phils. right now?

Have you seen Guru Besar Jeff Davidson's website featuring Pukulan Cimande and Pendekar Sartono?

my mistake , i meant guro besar (means big guro) maryono.

Currus Meus Fractus Est

Talking

Paolo, get in touch please at 0917 817 0373.

Douglas, have you visited Guru Besar Jeff Davidson's website? He teaches primarily Pukulan Cimande Pusaka pentjak silat but he also does Pekiti-Tirsia kali in Michigan although he's not with PTI. His teacher, Pendekar William Sanders, is also a Pekiti-Tirsia guy directly connected with GM Leo Gaje.

Post learn from the source

NO I am not familiar with Jeff but I have seen William Saunders (no comment on their stuff as I have not experienced their system) My personal preference is to learn from the source, If it's Silat I would want to learn it from an Indonesian, Cultural upbringing and mentality really plays a big part of how to train the style and systems and how to better understand it rather than learning it from "seminar " learners where they mimic most of the stuff, Just my personal preference.

Currus Meus Fractus Est

Cool Pendekar William Sanders and Guru Besar Jeff Davidson

Actually, Doug, Pendekar William Sanders went to Indonesia in the 80's or so to train with the Indonesian pendekars, including Suryadi "Crazy Eddie" Jafri. They have pics together training in jakarta or java on www.cimande.org (Pendekar Sander's website for Pukulan Cimande Pusaka pentjak silat).

Guru Besar Jeff Davidson didn't train in seminars. He actually sought out Pendekar William Sanders and himself went to Indonesia (West Java) to also train personally with the other pendekars, especially his mentor, Pendekar Suliman Sartono.

Neat names, 'no? Maybe I'll name my kids Suryadi and Suliman or something like that. Aside from pure Filipino names for the girls, like Mayumi, Bighani, Luningning, etc.

I would also like to train with Indonesians than with Americans if we're talking about Silat....however, we are culturally closer to the Americans than our next door neighbors, ironically (especially if you're citified, raised on "Sesame Street" and "MTV" and think in English, not your local dialect or Tagalog). Like you said, it's always best to go to the source.

Good for them, Like I said I don't know much of them but if you want to really see good silat you have to go to Indonesia, I was at a training camp with the late Guro Besar Herman Suwanda, he had an assistant who was an instructor apprentice under him, who is from San Antonio Texas, He showed some buwahs, or techniques and My silat instructor had me ask Pak Herman to do it to me, then have his assistant do it, They both worked but what a world of difference, It's not just the training but how you live that influences the growth of your skills.So many cultural factors play into the development of your body, Now I am looking at it from a perfectionist point of view, Don't get me wrong there is a lot you can learn from seminars but for those who go to the source I think they have a distinct advantage into the insights of the style or system they choose that will only better their skills.
    One of the things that Dan Inosanto said to Guro Jun regarding iNSTRUCTORS LIKE gURO dAN AND cHRIS sAYOC. "One thing you have going for you that will always separate you from other FMA instructors is that you have the culture" Guro Dan and Chris Sayoc were raised in the US.