PEx Highlights

PROMO: Big Hero 6

Join the promo and get a chance to win special screening tickets to Big Hero 6!

read more

PHOTOS: Aguilar, Ginebra Bully Talk N Text

Ginebra had no problems in their opening campaign after a 101-81 win over TNT. Japeth Aguilar proved to be too much for the Texters with his game-high 18pts, 18rebs and 5 blks.

read more

PHOTOS: Kia Victorious in Battle of Newcomers

LA Revilla (23pts, 7rebs) stole away the spotlight off of boxing champ Manny Pacquiao's PBA debut, as he rallied Kia over Blackwater 80-66.

read more

Show Me Your Winning Teeths!

Merly and Chelsey are back for a new season of SMYT and they are 'happy to serve' you a new episode about the Miss World pageant and the UAAP Finals.

read more

REVIEW: The Trial

If there's one particular asset the film has, it's the ensemble.

read more

PHOTOS: 40th PBA Season Opening Ceremony

Ellen Adarna, Megan Young and Alice Dixson led the parade of team muses yesterday during the Opening Ceremony of the new PBA season. Check our gallery here!

read more

Post masakit umihi

i have this friend na laging nagco-complain na masakit daw ang pag-ihi nya at malimit na binabalisawsaw. Doc Ira cud u helps us. thanks

i luv my baby

Hehe, sounds like UTI (urinary tract infection). Antibiotics for 1 week lang yan (bactrim). Sabihin mo sa kanya, next time hugasan nya agad pagkatapos nila mag-ano ng BF nya.

It does sound like a urinary tract infection but you need a urinalysis to be sure. Also, NEVER SELF MEDICATE WITH ANTIBIOTICS! See a doctor first. I could never emphasize this enough. We get a lot of resistant strains of bacteria because of improper antibiotic usage (wrong antibiotic, wrong dosage, incomplete duration).

And, UTI is NOT a sexually transmitted disease. It's more common in females than males because of the female anatomy in which the urethra is shorter and is located nearer the "dirtier" rectum, where lots of microorganisms can be found.

in medical terms, it's called dysuria. sounds like urinary tract infection, but you still need to have your urine examined.

ditto to what eyedoc had said!

DO. NOT. SELF-MEDICATE.

always visit your friendly doc.

Pectore Velnus

Post Question doc...

Just had urinalysis.. the result came up that my Pus Cells count is 20-25/hpf. Our company nurse told me na mataas na daw yun, even the people at the lab. Is that true doc? And i have few "a urates". what does it mean?

For the past few weeks, I suffered from tremendous lower back pain and lower abdominal pain. And yes, its really hard to pee. Do you think its that bad already?

Nyways, I'm already under medication for a week, just like what happened last year when they diagnosed that I have UTI.

happy 2 b 1 =)

makikitanong lang po...

I have this friend who has 3 months old baby which has a dilated kidney (both) na sabi nya which causes the wiwi to go back daw ata...

just curious what exactly is dilated kidney? saka ano pwede maging epekto nito sa baby just in case mapabayaan?

Ang mahal den pala ng xray nito noh at 3k, iba pa bang kalse ng xray ang gamit for this?

Thanks

resident lufthead

Doc Ira says:

From your post, DracoB, it seems like the child might have congentinally constricted ureters. Normally ureters will allow urine to flow out freely from the kidneys. If the urine can't freely flow out of the kidneys it will cause damming causing the kidney to enlarge. The kid can go into renal failure if treatment isn't sought.

The x-ray might have been expensive because a dye is used to outline the kidney and the ureters. Unless you have x-ray done in a public hospital like National Kidney Institute the rates would reach around a couple of thousand pesos.

They could probably do a follow-up ultrasound depending on what the child actually has. But I'm guessing here given the sparse medical information you gave me.

resident lufthead

Post Re: Question doc...

Originally posted by Wittygurl
    Just had urinalysis.. the result came up that my Pus Cells count is 20-25/hpf. Our company nurse told me na mataas na daw yun, even the people at the lab. Is that true doc? And i have few "a urates". what does it mean?

For the past few weeks, I suffered from tremendous lower back pain and lower abdominal pain. And yes, its really hard to pee. Do you think its that bad already?

Nyways, I'm already under medication for a week, just like what happened last year when they diagnosed that I have UTI.
    Doc Ira says:

Don't worry about urates. They are of little clinical value, most of the time. And are just due to delay in examining urine specimen.

Just continue with the medication. The pain is not proportional to the severity of the infection. Remember to drink a lot of fluids.

what's balisawsaw?

Pectore Velnus

Thanks Doc ira and CaliMaki.

Originally posted by eyedoc
    And, UTI is NOT a sexually transmitted disease. It's more common in females than males because of the female anatomy in which the urethra is shorter and is located nearer the "dirtier" rectum, where lots of microorganisms can be found.
    Are you sure UTI is not transmitted thru sexual intercourse? My friend got UTI from having unprotected sex with a prostitute.

If I may answer on behalf of a colleague

What eyedoc may mean to say is that UTI is usually diagnosed in patients who are not sexually active.

Pectore Velnus

Question

Are there any chances that UTI is hereditary?

What's the worst that can happen to a person who have UTI?

How else do people get UTI? I'm just wondering kasi my 10-year old niece has it. She's just a kid. Totoo bang pwede kang magka-UTI sa pagpipigil ng ihi? Hindi raw kasi siya umiihi sa school comfort room kahit ihing-ihi na. Anyway, Palagi siyang pinaiinom ng buko juice.

Post To clarify...

UTI means urinary tract infection. The urinary tract is supposed to be free from microorganisms. Infection occurs when the microbes invade the supposedly sterile environment.

UTI is more common in females because of the shorter urethra and the proximity to the "dirtier" anus. The simple act of wiping a tissue paper the "wrong way" (from back to front, thus bringing the bacteria resident in the anus to the urethral opening) could start the infection. Urine holding also predisposes to UTI.

UTI MAY BE transmitted when engaging in sex, if during the course of the act, the microorganisms are transmitted to the urinary tract. However, it is only one way of transmission and not even the most common way. It is wrong to assume that a person has been engaging in intercourse just because he/she got UTI. This is not like syphilis or gonorrhea, wherein the organism cannot survive outside the body, hence can only be transmitted sexually.

As mentioned, this is an infection. Therefore, it is not hereditary. However, structural deviations or defects which may predispose to UTI may be hereditary, but not the UTI itself.

Pectore Velnus

Thanks for the clarification eyedoc

Its pretty weird though that after a week of medication, my UTI condition didn't improve.. my PUS count now is TNTC

The organism that caused your UTI may be resistant already to the antibiotic that you are taking. Your doctor may change your antibiotic to another one.

Generally, we start treating a patient with antibiotics targetted to the most common organisms causing UTI and it works most of the time. However, in a few cases, the organism just doesn't respond to the antibiotic. This may be due to the organism being a different one, or the organism having developed resistance to that particular antibiotic.

Personally, I'd recommend that you ask your doctor about having a urinary culture and sensitivity testing done so that you'd know what antibiotic would be best to use.

Pectore Velnus

This may be due to the organism being a different one, or the organism having developed resistance to that particular antibiotic.
    Prolly, that's what happened. The Doctor changed my antibiotic and I have to medicate again for a week then told me to undergo another urinalysis on the 5th day of medication. If my condition won't improve, I'll consult another doctor and take your recommendation on having a urinary culture and sensitivity testing.

Thanks