Hi, just want to ask your opinion which is the best type of contract in building our dream house for our situation. My wifey and I are both working 5 days a week so we wouldn’t have time to oversee the construction.
1. Design and build. This is to have only one contractor from start to finish. Pros: only one contractor to deal with. Cons: No check and balance.
2. Have a design by an archi and labor & materials by contractor. Pros: Check and balance. Cons: archi and contractor might be pointing finger to each other when something wrong came up.
3. Design by archi, labor by contractor and we will provide materials. Pros: Savings on materials. Cons: Needs time to canvas and coordinate with suppliers.
4. Design by archi, get a contractor for each stage. Say contractor for shell only, then another contractor for roofing, another for electricals/plumbing, another for finishing. Pros:? Cons:?
5. Design, labor and materials by contractor but for the shell only. We will provide materials for the finishing. Pros: we can select not so high end materials. Cons: There might not be a substantial savings on materials.
Or if you have a better suggestion please share with us. I have zero experience in construction. Baka matulungan niyo ako at sa mga taong nagbabalak magpatayo ng sariling bahay. Thanks po ng marami.