NatGeo Earth Day Run 2012 3/5/10/21K (BGC) - April 22, 2012 | PEx Running Club | PinoyExchange

X

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

NatGeo Earth Day Run 2012 3/5/10/21K (BGC) - April 22, 2012

Natgeo Earth Day Run 2012
    April 22, 2012
    Bonifacio Global City, Taguig

EVENT DISTANCES

3km, 5km, 10km, 21km

REGISTRATION FEES

3K – 650 Php
    5K – 750 Php
    10K – 950 Php
    21K – 1150 Php

NATGEO RUN START TIME

3K – 6:30 AM
    5K – 6:00 AM
    10K – 5:30 AM
    21K – 5:00 AM

WHERE TO REGISTER

ONLINE: http://www.natgeorun.com/2012/registration/
    March 10, to April 15, 2012

ON-SITE: Greenbelt 3
    March 12 to April 15, 2012

CONTACT

http://www.natgeorun.com/2012/

More info: http://www.takbo.ph/2012/03/natgeo-earth-day-run-2012/

hi ground_break!
    is anyone from PRC joining this event?

gumo gumo nooooo...!! floydskie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eycharboi View Post
    hi ground_break!
    is anyone from PRC joining this event?
    HI..!!kasali ako dito..10K tatakbuhin ko..check mo sa rollcall kung sinu-sino pa kasali..

Yup, same here. I'll be running 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric1 View Post
    Yup, same here. I'll be running 10k.
    sabay kami ni bern_hern tatakbo..kung gusto nyo sabay sabay tayo...text lang..
    floyd - 09496128411

ma text nga si floyd...

hahaha. ni-broadcast talaga ang number dito.

para masaya.......
    Last edited by floydskie; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:38 AM.

Habang tumatakbo ng 10k kahapon, marami pa ring nagtatapon ng paper cups sa road kahit na may designated trash bins sa area.

At naturingang EARTH DAY RUN ito.

Iniisip ko lang rerading duon sa paper cups...

Lilinisin kaya ng organizers yung mga paper cups.. It's paper cups anyway kaya ma-rerecycle siya...

IMO!!!

Halos mga di runners yung nagkakalat ng image sa FB... Di nila alam na after run nililinis ng tauhan ng organizers yung tinatapon na cups...

^ Yes, given that the organizers provided paper cups instead of plastic cups, my point of contention is about runners throwing paper cups everywhere but the designated trash bins.

I know that it's inevitable to throw the paper cups especially when you're running and need to drink water but I believe that the bottomline here is the lack of environmental responsibility from the organizers and the runners themselves.

I would like to highlight the Nathan Run in Tagaytay City last November 2011:

The organizers of Nathan Run provided all participants with hand held reusable water bottles before the race because the organizers wanted a trash-free run and want to impart the importance of minimizing carbon footprint whether it's the use of paper or plastic cups. The campaign was successful plus the runners were made to realize that everyone should partake in the saving the environment.

As a runner (or other sports involving the use of nature like soil, roads, mountains, etc.), one should always have a sense of discipline and concern over the environment. Mountaineers are told not to leave trash where they climbed or trekked. This same goes to runners who shouldn't just throw cups on the street or road.

Yes, it's inevitable (and necessary) to drink from a water station during the run, but why can others put the used cup inside their short pockets [and throw it until they find a trash can] and some would bring hand held reusable cups [to help lessen trash] while others cannot?

The problem lies not really about the organizers' ability and responsibility to clean the trash on the road after the race (Of course it's the organizer's responsibility to clean the trash in the first place.), but the realm of the matter (again...as mentioned previously) is the lack of environmental responsibility (through good campaigning and promotion) from the organizers and the runners themselves.

Korny lang sa organizer is that maliit ang water station. I have to wait in line for water at wala silang water station sa starting line unlike sa yakult.

Tapos ang haba ng gun start in between events. I had to wait an hour and a half before ako makatakbo

To Cleric:

Wala namang basurahan sa water station sa event na ito hindi tulad sa ibang fun run events na madaming basurahan sa paligid at malapit sa mga water station. Kung meron man trash bins sa mga water stations then hindi sila kapansinpansin unlike din sa ibang race events na wala kang choice kung hindi mag tapon sa basurahan kasi dadaanan mo yung mga yun at super conspicuous ng mga tash bins.

Unlike sa mountaineering na walang time record, sa running kasi may term na PERSONAL RECORD which means na may time kang hinahabol AND kada fun run ay isang RACE. So people need to dispose the cups as soon as possible.

Dapat free and relaxed din ang kamay mo to avoid tension sa shoulders, which plays a vital role in running. Whenever you swing your arms you also propel yourself forward, which in turn increases your speed. This is the reason kung bakit hindi magandang may tension sa shoulders mo.

So as long as nilinis ng organizer ang pinagtakbuhan then walang isyu in terms of trash. However, if you want each fun run to REDUCE its carbon footprint then... there will be no other choice but to use hydration belts or packs, which is expensive.

The Nathan Run organizers provided free hydration belts (and hand held water bottles) to all runners who joined the race. The fee is around P800, which already includes free singlet, free hydration belt, free juice, free meals (rice and chicken). And there were sufficient water stations compared to Nat Geo with the same (even higher) fee but with less inclusion, water stations and trash bins notwithstanding.

* I am not affiliated with Nathan in any way. I am simply providing a point of comparison for reference.

Point taken on the part of "running for personal record" but the problem still lies on the organizer for not providing enough trash bins (and water stations), and if one has actually joined the race, some of the participants/runners who threw the cups on the road weren't running to meet personal records at all. I even saw a group walking (not even brisk walking) and throwing the paper cups everywhere.

It's in the willingness really of the organizers and participants (whether they have a personal record or not) to do their share in social responsibility. The organizers of Nat Geo run should improve on several shortcomings next time (i.e. lack of trash bins), given that the National Geographic is at the forefront in the protection and preservation of nature and the environment.

The cups on that viral FB photo has been disposed right after the race.

Nung nag-water boys and girls kami sa isang run... May mga runners talaga na di nagtatapon sa basurahan... so bilang volunteers.. Pinupulot din namen yung tinapon nila to throw sa trash can...

Pero right after the event... Nilinis pa rin yung venue ng mga tauhan ng organizers and laging ganun sa run events lalo na sa BGC...

I will post my last say on this matter because from I feel that those who argue is really missing the point:

...the organizers will collect the trash anyway...

Point taken on the fact that "the trash inadvertently thrown by runners will be disposed properly by the organizers or "volunteers." Runners throw trash. Simple logic. Organizers pick up trash. Common sense.

But the point here is that why are there so many trash? Why are runners simply throwing trash everywhere? Of course it's but simple logic and common sense for the organizers to gather all the garbage after the event. It's the organizer's duty and responsibility. But several questions remain: why are there so many trash on an Earth Day run like this? Why are the runners throwing trash everywhere? Where are the trash bins?

...because there we have a personal record to beat...

...a handheld water bottle will put on a strain on the shoulder...

Given that one will not use a hand held plastic water bottle (or a hydration belt) because it will affect one's "personal record," because it can put on strain on the shoulders, is it really that difficult to crumple the paper cup and put it inside one's pocket and throw the very small paper in a trash bin when it's already available? Is a paper cup that heavy and cause a loss to one's personal record?

The truth of the matter is it's not innate (and default) for some people to practice social responsibility. Reasons like "the trash will be collected after the race," "there's a personal record to beat," and "a small and crumpled paper cup in one's pocket will be much of hassle to me" simply reflect a man's lack of proper ethics and values.

Given that a paper cup thrown on the street collected after the race will be recycled, whatever happened to social responsibility? Why is it that some people find it ridiculous to have a garbage in their pockets until such time that a trash can is available for proper disposal?

It's really just that. Lack of social responsibility.

EDUCATE not HATE. Things like this happens in almost any races I have participated in. So I seriously don't get what the fuss is all about. Nililinis din naman agad after the race, it's not like it's being left there forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric1 View Post
    The Nathan Run organizers provided free hydration belts (and hand held water bottles) to all runners who joined the race. The fee is around P800, which already includes free singlet, free hydration belt, free juice, free meals (rice and chicken). And there were sufficient water stations compared to Nat Geo with the same (even higher) fee but with less inclusion, water stations and trash bins notwithstanding.

* I am not affiliated with Nathan in any way. I am simply providing a point of comparison for reference.
    NATHAN makes and sells hydration belts. so malamang mga surplus nila yun ng mga old stocks nila or if bago man promotional stunt naman yun. Pwede ding madami silang sponsors kaya nakapag provide ng mga belts.

FYI lang po a typical nathan hydration belt na hindi pa maganda ay HINDI MURA. Click HERE

Tsaka ko na sagutin yung ibang points mo ubos na break time ko

Actually we do get your point but you do not seem to be getting ours.

Nakakita kana ba ng TOTOONG running shorts? Walang pocket yun big enough even for A crushed plastic cup. Ilang hydration station ba ang iinuman mo if natakbo ka ng 10km? at least 4.

paano pa kaya sa half mary at mary.

Tsaka yung space sa pockets mo may laman din yun: sugar rich gel packs naman yun at makaka storbo nga naman sa pagkuha mo ng gel ang crushed plastic cup, that is kung mag kasya man.

Yung ibang “tamad” na tao na sa tingin mo ay irresponsible ALAM nila na may maglilinis nyan. Sure, dapat maging maayos tayo at disciplinado kaso… hindi naman lahat ng natakbo ay FIT eh. Iba dyan ilang KM palang or baka wala pa nga hingal na. LAST THING ON THEIR MIND IS TO THROW IT IN THE “Proper” place.

Teka nga… ano ba ang “proper” place? If ang isang kalsada na lilinisin naman afterwards AT generally considered na trash area then can we say na PROPER place yun para tapunan?

It would be different kasi if ALAM mong walang maglilinis nun at tinapon mo sa kalsada.

So your inputs are somewhat off tangent kasi nga ibang scenario ang nangyayari dito kasi ALAM mong kasama sa binayad mo ang paglilinis ng organizer sa mga kalat afterwards. So if binayaran mo na yung service nay un bakit mo pa gagawin yun personally.

So ang punto lang namin dito ay simple: Put things in the proper context.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last