• REVIEW: Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Philippine Release Date: March 16, 2017
    Director: Bill Condon
    Cast: Emma Watson, Dan Stevens, Luke Evans, Josh Gad, Ewan McGregor, Ian McKellen, Emma Thompson

One of the most anticipated movies of the year, the live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast comes out tomorrow. Beauty and the Beast is one of the most beloved Disney animated film and of course one cannot talk about this movie without mentioning or "singing" the superb and iconic songs that made it a classic.

So in this review, we will be highlighting some of these much-loved songs while our PEx movie reviewers share their thoughts on the film.

Little town it's a quiet village everyday like the one before
    little town full of little people…

What can you say about the entire cast and production of Beauty and the Beast?

forg: The production is well done, costumes are great and the set for the castle was amazing! The cast is very good; Emma Watson is perfect for Belle.

carlhiro: The cast is perfect! Everyone was at his or her best and the production was really grand.

Laurence_writer: Words are not enough to say how much I appreciate the cast they assembled and how they produced one of my favorite Disney stories. The performance and setting made me feel like I'm watching it all play live instead of just seeing a projection on screen. It's simply marvelous.

No one's slick as Gaston
    No one's quick as Gaston
    No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Gaston
    For there's no man in town half as manly…

Apart from Belle and the Beast, Gaston and LeFou’s characters are equally infamous, what do you think of Luke Evan and Josh Gad’s performance?

F:They're funny together although I feel Luke Evans lacks the machismo Gaston had in the animated movie, he did fine but he's not as threatening as he should be. I admit I find Gad annoying in general but he was used in this movie with just the right exposure so he won't overstay this welcome.

C: I love them both, especially Josh Gad's LeFou. They brought life to the film as the villains.

L: Without a doubt, Luke Evans nailed it. I would've wanted to see more skin since the Gaston in the animated film had a number of exposures but Evans did a fine job of portraying his character even without such teasing. Josh Gad, on the other hand, was so lovable as LeFou. He definitely added more color and depth to his character.

Be our guest! Be our guest!
    Put our service to the test, tie your napkin 'round your neck cherie
    And we'll provide the rest...

What’s your favorite scene/ sequence and why?

F: Definitely BE MY GUEST, what a stunning show stopping sequence.

C: My favorite scene is when Beast magically transformed into a full-fledged Dan Stevens, because he is so handsome. HAHA. But nothing beats the Be Our Guest sequence. I relived going to Disneyland during that sequence, it was so amazing to watch in 3D.

L: This is a tough one but I would pick the performance of the song "Gaston". People would normally say "Be Our Guest", however, the actual performance of actors in "Gaston" led by Josh Gad is far better, in my opinion, than a production number that relied heavily on CGI. Nonetheless, both are fun to watch and listen to.

There's something sweet, and almost kind…

And how about Emma Watson as Belle and Dan Stevens as the Beast, what do you think of them?

F: Individually they're very good although to be honest the dance scene lacked some spark I was hoping it would have.

C: Perfect casting. I love how they chose Dan Stevens as the beast who has memorable eyes, which is important so that we can still identify with him as the Beast. And Emma Watson as Belle is just lovely, as she is really fit to play a princess.

L: Emma was stunning. Dan was perfect. It seems like these two were really made to play Belle and the Beast, respectively. I really love Emma here and Dan is amazing. They couldn't have cast a better pair for the lead.

Hear him roar! See him foam! But we're not coming home
    'Til he's dead! Good and dead! Kill the Beast!

I really like that they…
    F: …were able to translate the animated movie to live action with so much ease. Yes basically the same movie but at least they did with class and precision.

C: …modified a bit of the lyrics for the songs, and made an entire original one for Beast, who has no singing parts in the original film. And also the hint of LeFou being gay, which is a step forward for Disney films.

L: …made this film! The entire movie was a trip down memory lane but the magic feels very new. I sense that majority of what we saw took its cue from the Broadway musical, which is good since none of us were able to see it on stage. I actually sang along as some of songs play on screen.

I didn’t like the…
    F: …controversy about the gay character, what is the fuss all about? It hardly impacts the story at all.

C: …shortage of shirtless scenes from Gaston. JK - it's Disney haha. TBH, there's nothing in the film I didn't like. I really really love the film.

L: …lack of exposure of some actors. Cogsworth hardly said anything unlike in the animated film. I would've also appreciated it better if Audra McDonald got to sing some more.

Tale as old as time…

Final thoughts on the movie?

F: Beauty and the Beast is as magical as the original movie, reminds you why this story is so beloved

C: I still can't get over the film. I feel the need to watch it again. It exceeded my high expectations and I was the one of the very eager people when the movie production was announced years back.

L: It was everything I imagined it to be and so much more! Every second was magical. Every scene will fill you with joy. This is a movie that you shouldn't miss.

Rating:

J: 9/10
    C: 10/10
    L: 9/10

Beauty and the Beast opens TOMORROW March 16, in cinemas nationwide.

Discuss the movie here: Disney's Beauty and the Beast (Starring Emma Watson)
    More movie reviews here: Official PEx Movie Reviews

*The Beauty and the Beast original motion picture soundtrack is available on Spinnr, Spotify and Apple Music.*

Go back to Official PEx Movie Reviews thread

Movies Featured Promo

Sub title

The Official 2017 PEx Movie Challenge
A New Year! Brand New Set of Challenges! Join in the fun! view more

Advertisement

Advertisement

Custom Search