• Travel Tip: 3 Countries using 1 Visa

by PExer: ticktock

I traveled to South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan using only a single entry Japan visa. I was thinking of a way on how to save money on visa fees and travel taxes since I am traveling on a shoestring.

To enter South Korea using Japan visa, you need to have an onward ticket to Japan and a valid Japan visa. The route that I made was PHL-KOR-JPN. You can stay in Korea up to 30 days.

To enter Taiwan using Japan visa, you need to register online (for free) on Taiwan immigration website and they will give you a travel certificate which you will provide to the immigration upon arrival to Taiwan. You can go to Taiwan without having an onward ticket to Japan as long as the visa is unused and valid. If already used and still valid (validity date has not yet lapsed), you will only be allowed to enter Taiwan if it is on a continuing journey (PHL-JPN-TWN-PHL).

Getting a Taiwan visa in Manila will cost you 2,400 PHP while getting a Japan visa will cost you 800-1200 PHP only. It is easier to apply for Japan visa since they only ask for bank certificate unlike South Korea and Taiwan, they ask for Bank statement (6 months movement).

South Korea Immigration

Deoksugung Palace

I did not encounter any problem with my entry to South Korea even though I have no SoKor visa. I even remember sending a message to my friend who I’ll meet in SoKor to wish me luck as I line up to immigration that time. I told my friend I have no SoKor visa and my friend panicked and I said it’s fine I have a plan. I handed to the immigration officer my passport and my onward ticket to Japan. She checked my passport and did not find a korean visa, I pointed to her the paper (onward ticket to Japan), she said, “Oh, transit?” and I said yes. She asked how many days will I be staying, I said 4 days. She smiled then put a stamp on my passport. My epic plan worked! I was so happy that I forgot how hungry I was that time.

Being held at airline counter in Japan

Next plan is to enter Taiwan using my used but still valid Japan visa (I only have single entry Japan visa). This time, things didn’t turn out as smooth as I expected.

I handed to the check-in counter lady (Fly Peach Airlines) my passport, travel certificate and ticket to Taiwan. The lady checked my passport and she said if I have any other visas that are still valid. I said none. She said that I cannot enter Taiwan since my Japan visa is only single entry and it is already used. I told her that according to Taiwan immigration rule, I can use my used Japan visa to enter Taiwan, as long as it is on a continuing journey. My travel to Taiwan is a continuation of my Japan journey. She asked how do i know that rule, I said it is on their website (Taiwan immigration) plus I confirmed it by calling Taiwan embassy in Manila. The lady asked when did I call the embassy and I said three weeks ago. She again asked me the immigration rule, at this point I think she was just making sure whether my first answer will still be the same with the second one. So I told her again, that it is allowed per immigration rule. She asked me again whether I confirmed it in Taiwan embassy in Manila. I said yes. She then called her manager, they talked for a while and she instructed me to stay to the side until they verify things. People are already looking at me since we somehow caused a scene at the counter. After 10 minutes of waiting, she said that they confirmed it already and that I can already check-in. I said to the lady in a calm voice that what happened was an inconvenience and that they should’ve known that immigration rule. She immediately apologized and said that they are not aware of that rule and that this is the first time they heard of it.

Taiwan Immigration

Taoyuan Airport

Upon arrival at Taiwan Taoyuan airport (I was so hungry that time) I handed my passport and travel certificate to Taiwan immigration officer, the immigration officer looked at my passport and showed it to one of her peers. They were speaking taiwanese so I cannot understand it. Her peer replied and that the end of her sentence said “Mela, it’s ok”. (I guess Mela is the name of my immigration officer) Then the IO assigned to me immediately stamped my passport and allowed me to enter their country, then I went straight to the airport food court to eat.

Total cost of PHL-JPN-PHP ticket 3 weeks before my departure was 28k.
    Total cost of PHL-KOR-JPN-TWN-PHL 3 weeks before my departure was 22k.

Airasia: Manila-Incheon(Seoul)
    Jeju Air: Incheon(Seoul)-Osaka
    Fly Peach: Haneda(Tokyo)-Taiwan
    CebuPac: Taiwan-Manila

Read more of PExer ticktock's blog here

Photo Source: blaaguinaldo.wordpress.com

Discuss more of JAPAN, TAIWAN and SOUTH KOREA on the following threads:

Comments 9 Comments
      eycharboi -
      Wow! This is interesting. I never thought this is all possible. Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am keen on going to Taiwan hopefully in the near future.

By the way, just a correction, there is no Taiwanese embassy in Manila. There is however a TECO (Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office) which handles visa-related concerns. There is no embassy since our country recognizes the one-China policy.

Thanks ticktock for sharing this
      ticktock -
      Quote Originally Posted by eycharboi View Post
      Wow! This is interesting. I never thought this is all possible. Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am keen on going to Taiwan hopefully in the near future.

By the way, just a correction, there is no Taiwanese embassy in Manila. There is however a TECO (Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office) which handles visa-related concerns. There is no embassy since our country recognizes the one-China policy.

Thanks ticktock for sharing this
      Thanks for the correction!

And you're welcome
      Patrickdesilva0319 -
      Hello hw are you
      exitpass -
      hi ticktock, I would just like to know, how much money did you spend for the whole trip including hotels? Can you just give us a gross amount?
      ticktock -
      Quote Originally Posted by exitpass View Post
      hi ticktock, I would just like to know, how much money did you spend for the whole trip including hotels? Can you just give us a gross amount?
      Send me a PM. I'll give you the details there.
      bluespark_22 -
      Good advise!!! =)
      Thanks for the post!
      dbomb11 -
      Hi! could you also send me the details of your trip like the amount how much you spend on the entire trip? Thank you.
      marissaledesma -
      I am smiling as I read this info and it gives me a certain and clear idea about travelling. Best for me and my family good job to the informer of the message thanks !!!
      tonyaw -
      hi,

im thinking of doing the same mnl - kor - jpn - ph

i was denied kor visa way back but after i was able to get jpn multiple entry visa

is it possible to go to kor the same way you did w/o kor visa but with japan multi entry?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Custom Search